Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    CSummer

Cat pee/spray odor removal info?

A friend who has allergies to cat odors is seeking a way to remove same from fabric and upholstery. If anyone has experience doing this, ideally with nontoxic, unscented products, she will greatly appreciate any advice (including detailed instructions).

Thanks!
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Tinque

Re: Cat pee/spray odor removal info?

Ideally a non toxic remedy sounds great. Unfortunately like most mold problems it takes a bit of "the toxic" STUFF TO BE RID OF.. Yet I am a true fan of BAKING SODA and VINEGAR. They work..

Quote Posted in reply to the post by CSummer: View Post
    A friend who has allergies to cat odors is seeking a way to remove same from fabric and upholstery. If anyone has experience doing this, ideally with nontoxic, unscented products, she will greatly appreciate any advice (including detailed instructions).

Thanks!

3. TopTop #3
    hvnagdx

Straight vinegar works great.

4. TopTop #4

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Tinque: View Post
    Ideally a non toxic remedy sounds great. Unfortunately like most mold problems it takes a bit of "the toxic" STUFF TO BE RID OF.. Yet I am a true fan of BAKING SODA and VINEGAR. They work..
    Perhaps some clarification is on order here. Someone might get the idea that you recommend using baking soda and vinegar together, which as I recall from childhood experimentation can have quite startling results. Beyond this I am no expert in the arts of cleaning, so I too would like to have some kind of guidance in the use of these items.

Patrick Brinton

5. TopTop #5
    jbox

Thanks!
    I've had good success with a spray product called Nature's Miracle, which somehow uses an enzyme reaction to neutralize odor. It is made especifically for cat pee (yeccch). I think it has a very mild citrus odor. Available at most hardware stores and Frizelle Enos.

6. TopTop #6
    Barrie
    Supporting member

I like to use Nature's Miracle. It is a commercial product you can buy at Western Farm Center and other locations. I get the liquid. It is some sort of enzyme that digests the organic matter that causes the odor, you soak or spray the affected area and wait a few days for the odor to go. So far it is the best I have found. You'd have to read the label to see if you think it is toxic, I don't think it is. Barrie (not Barry).

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Tinque: View Post

7. TopTop #7
    psaltz

Have had the problem. Am not allergic, but ew, it stinks! And if the cat can smell it, he'll do it again, and so will other cats. Have successfully used both vinegar and enzymes purchased at Western Farm Supply; can't remember the brand, but it's the same unscented stuff professional carpet cleaners use. You need to get all the sprayed spots cleaned up to prevent repeat business.

Thanks!