Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    anjaloba

Looking for Local Non-Profit Animal Farm

Hi, Does anyone have information?

I have heard about a local animal farm that provides a nature connection to kids.

I would like to do some community volunteer work and would like to work with animals too!
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Thad

Re: Looking for Local Non-Profit Animal Farm

For what its worth, they post on craigslist for donations all the time I know nothing personal about them, there was one person who posted a response to having sent a family member there that " it was a co-ed version of lord of the fly's," who knows they might have just been prudes

but here's their post and contact, it would be good to know another persons opinion,

Date: 2010-05-26, 6:34AM PDT
    Reply to: see below

We are in constant need of supplies and items to keep our non profit operating and also to teach and entertain the children that attend our summer camps and workshops. Please consider donating any of your unneeded items to our organization and receive a tax deduction.

Items needed:
    Livestock and equestrian equipment – This can be bridals, saddles, grooming equipment, horse blankets, shampoo’s conditioners, tail wraps, containers to store food, etc.

Domestic animal toys (dog and cat toys, dead tennis balls, etc.)

Pool/pond toys, pool floats, pool chemicals, and equipment (filters etc.), water hoses, wheelbarrows, lawn furniture, picnic and patio tables and chairs.

Art tools and supplies, lapidary supplies and equipment, leather craft supplies & tools.

Ceramic paints and glazes.

Archery Equipment.

Any of the above items would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Reply to: [email protected]

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Loba Moon: View Post

I have heard about a local animal farm that provides a nature connection to kids.

I would like to do some community volunteer work and would like to work with animals too!

3. TopTop #3
    Icssoma

hi,
    our focus is healing horses & children/teens. we rescue horses that are bound for across the boarder slaughter (where they are frequently dismembered before they are brain dead.)
    we work with 3 local group homes, helping youth learn job skills, learning compassion for animals, and a love of being outdoors, and developing confidence through their work, specifically with and around horses.
    we offer free field trips to all primary school students. you can find out more about our stories and updates through our website @ Welcome to Icssoma Farm or on facebook, under causes: well trained horses.
    we are environmentally responsible, (green) work co-operatively and are all volunteers. we have a volunteer training coming up, june 19 from 1:30 to 4:30, which gives information to novices & experience people on working with horses.

if one desires, we trade volunteer hours for attendance at clinics, ground work and riding lessons and more.
    our horse farm, Icssoma, is a for profit stables. Every penny of profit goes to help fund our non-profit work, through our 501 c.3: Well Trained Horses (WTH) which has no paid staff, solely volunteers.
    We have jobs for volunteers in so many capacities, working with the horses (feeding, cleaning, grooming, caring for medically and in most capacities imaginable), we are always looking for people to help landscape, make repairs, learn about fundraising (i have taught fundraising at two colleges, co-authored a book, and am in the midst of community fundraising efforts here), working with youth who need and deserve a second chance, helping co-ordinating field trips with public schools, and so much more.
    One of our volunteers who works with some of our group home youth will be leaving in mid-June. We won't be able to replace her, but we would love to find someone who wants to work in a positive and structured way with these teens.
    On Saturday, I work with them, volunteering, and teaching many types of lessons that horses have to offer.
    We have two feral rescue barn cats, a rescue dog, and chickens raised from chicks.
    Please check us out. If you have additional questions we would love to hear from you, email us at [email protected], call us at 829-3600, or set up appointment to come visit with our volunteers and horses.

4. TopTop #4
    CowGal

There used to be an organic lamb ranch near Half Moon Bay, but that's too far for you. I took a girl scout group there and the leader told me it was the best field trip they had ever taken. The kids act as ranch hands and get up before the sun rises, feed the animals and muck out the barn. Then they herd in the pregnant ewes and check them for signs of impending labor. They also learn about sustainable farming and plant seedlings in the greenhouse. And they learn how to shear a sheep and "card" the wool for yarn. If you live anywhere near there you should try it. My daughter had so much fun, but she'd never admit it because she was at "that age". They needed docents to help with some of the programs, but that was a long time ago. I'm not sure if they're still in existence, but I bet they are.

5. TopTop #5
    Icssoma

Re: Looking for Local Non-Profit Animal Farm/summer options

my response is not current. they may have improved dramatically.
    we did due diligence looking for a place to send our special needs son. we spent lots of time w. the director, some time observing, & a significant amount of money for the session.
    staff was under/untrained. our son did not finish his session, they were miserable w. him, we were w. them.
    this was 8 years ago.
    recently, one of the group homes that attends our program (well trained horses), was able to get a social worker to pay for a session for the girls love of horses (prior to discovering us--we also offer free services to group homes.
    mc donald ranch was not very horse focused.
    another person who attended our camps last year was also not pleased w. the horse program.
    my only lst hand information is old.
    the other two stories are recent, but second hand.
    the image, & sale was one of the best i have experienced.
    they may have improved dramatically with special needs kids.
    i haven't heard anything positive, w. the exception of the woman who volunteers for them & posts on wacco. perhaps she could shed some light on specifics, i.e. their current offerings, on hands staff training, ratios & ages, etc.
    for their efforts i hope they have made major changes, and it has knowledgable staff (besides the director, who was very sharp!). Perhaps now they work successfully w. a broader population.
    i never understood why they were a not. for. profit.
    that would be helpful for someone to post.
    they seemed to want to be everything for everybody. some "normal/easy" children seemed to have fun. the horse staff has changed since our experience. (that was the staff that was most helpful/kind w. our son.)
    it was difficult finding great places for my son. he volunteers with our workers (@wth) & some of the teens from the group home. it seems to be a win/win.
    this does not fit the category, but i have nothing but good things to say about Loni @ St.vincent de paul, (rhonert park). everyone there was kind, friendly & supportive. we are looking forward to having our son return there to volunteer this summer. (he was part of a vocational program that initially placed him there.) his 2nd favorite place was the food bank. very positive as well.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Thad: View Post
    For what its worth, they post on craigslist for donations all the time I know nothing personal about them, there was one person who posted a response to having sent a family member there that " it was a co-ed version of lord of the fly's," who knows they might have just been prudes

but here's their post and contact, it would be good to know another persons opinion,

Date: 2010-05-26, 6:34AM PDT
    Reply to: see below

We are in constant need of supplies and items to keep our non profit operating and also to teach and entertain the children that attend our summer camps and workshops. Please consider donating any of your unneeded items to our organization and receive a tax deduction.

Items needed:
    Livestock and equestrian equipment – This can be bridals, saddles, grooming equipment, horse blankets, shampoo’s conditioners, tail wraps, containers to store food, etc.

Domestic animal toys (dog and cat toys, dead tennis balls, etc.)

Pool/pond toys, pool floats, pool chemicals, and equipment (filters etc.), water hoses, wheelbarrows, lawn furniture, picnic and patio tables and chairs.

Art tools and supplies, lapidary supplies and equipment, leather craft supplies & tools.

Ceramic paints and glazes.

Archery Equipment.

Any of the above items would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Reply to: [email protected]
    Last edited by Icssoma; 06-04-2010 at 01:33 AM. Reason: clarity

6. TopTop #6
    Debunker

One of the best ways to help many, many animals that are in great need of tender loving care is to volunteer at any of the local animal shelters.

You can cuddle cats, walk dogs, facilitate adoptions and much more. They each have a community of animal loving volunteers who would warmly welcome you.

7. TopTop #7
    Icssoma

forwarded on the posts re mc donald ranch to one of the group homes we work w. (for free). the girl that went their who wanted a good horse experience ended up saying "We have stopped taking X to McDonald’s Ranch due to X telling us that they were being rude to her. Also X had reported to us that they were making her work too hard. " (so in 8-10 years it sounds like things have not improved.)
    "...C. is super excited about your horse program and working with you this summer. C. is always telling us how much she looks up to you and how much she enjoys working with the horses."
    it's very tricky monitoring your own profession. over the years i have learned to be careful, and only say negative things when i was concerned, or had a close relationship with the person.

i think something like mc donald ranch is more obvious, but we were fooled until the 3rd day into camp. saw no signs during our "due diligence".
    i have a rule of 1/3's, one third of people, organizations, etc. have no business being in the profession (regardless if it is attorneys, riding instruction, govt., etc.), 1/3 are satisfactory, 1/3 are good, of the good, 10% are excellent. on sharing my theory recently, developed about 25 years ago, a good psychiatrist, and a friend, said he "thought i was a bit generous on the 'excellent' portion".
    add to that personal preferences, and being new to a field, i think it is difficult to "select a business."
    sites like these are helpful, being older & experienced makes a difference, but if you aren't familiar about what constitutes excellence in a given field, it's tough.
    i wrote an article on selecting a stables (probably 10 years ago), i will dig it up & post a link to our website. unfortunately, can't promise i will get it up this month.
    will make an effort.
    best to all in selecting summer programs.visiting a place is helpful, so is observation .
    a real clue is when someone has no investment in the outcome (or as one says, how you treat people, or how you perform your job, when no one is looking monitoring, etc. good nite. falling asleep. will try to post ride to sf, before i join nod.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Debunker: View Post
    One of the best ways to help many, many animals that are in great need of tender loving care is to volunteer at any of the local animal shelters.

You can cuddle cats, walk dogs, facilitate adoptions and much more. They each have a community of animal loving volunteers who would warmly welcome you.

8. TopTop #8
    Icssoma

hi our june clinic will be this sat. from 1-4:30. we have posted under events & classes on wacco. you will also find the current information on our web site at Welcome to Icssoma Farm. their is a registration form on our site which makes life easier for us. we would love to see you. you can pay for the training, use volunteer hours, or a combination of those depending on what works best for you.
    hope to see you saturday.
    my very best,

susan jan ([email protected] or 829.3600)

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Icssoma: View Post
    hi,
    our focus is healing horses & children/teens. we rescue horses that are bound for across the boarder slaughter (where they are frequently dismembered before they are brain dead.)
    we work with 3 local group homes, helping youth learn job skills, learning compassion for animals, and a love of being outdoors, and developing confidence through their work, specifically with and around horses.
    we offer free field trips to all primary school students. you can find out more about our stories and updates through our website @ Welcome to Icssoma Farm or on facebook, under causes: well trained horses.
    we are environmentally responsible, (green) work co-operatively and are all volunteers. we have a volunteer training coming up, june 19 from 1:30 to 4:30, which gives information to novices & experience people on working with horses.

if one desires, we trade volunteer hours for attendance at clinics, ground work and riding lessons and more.
    our horse farm, Icssoma, is a for profit stables. Every penny of profit goes to help fund our non-profit work, through our 501 c.3: Well Trained Horses (WTH) which has no paid staff, solely volunteers.
    We have jobs for volunteers in so many capacities, working with the horses (feeding, cleaning, grooming, caring for medically and in most capacities imaginable), we are always looking for people to help landscape, make repairs, learn about fundraising (i have taught fundraising at two colleges, co-authored a book, and am in the midst of community fundraising efforts here), working with youth who need and deserve a second chance, helping co-ordinating field trips with public schools, and so much more.
    One of our volunteers who works with some of our group home youth will be leaving in mid-June. We won't be able to replace her, but we would love to find someone who wants to work in a positive and structured way with these teens.
    On Saturday, I work with them, volunteering, and teaching many types of lessons that horses have to offer.
    We have two feral rescue barn cats, a rescue dog, and chickens raised from chicks.
    Please check us out. If you have additional questions we would love to hear from you, email us at [email protected], call us at 829-3600, or set up appointment to come visit with our volunteers and horses.