Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    sharingwisdom

Edible RFID monitor can tell if you take your medicine

March 31, 2010, BusinessWeek
    https://www.businessweek.com/idg/2010-03-31/edible-rfid-microchip-monitor...

Researchers at the University of Florida have combined RFID, microchips and printed nano-particle antennas to make pills that communicate with cell phones or laptops to tell doctors whether patients are taking their medicine. Still a prototype, the inventors hope their tattletale technology can be applied commercially to a range of medications in clinical trials and in treatment of patients with chronic diseases in which it is essential that the doses are taken and taken on time. The pill is a white capsule with a microchip embedded and with an antenna printed on the outside with ink containing silver nanoparticles. A device worn by the patient energizes the microchip via bursts of low-voltage electricity. The chip signal confirms the pill is in the stomach and the device sends a signal that the pill has been swallowed. The messages can go to cell phones or laptops to inform doctors or family members.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Braggi

Re: Edible RFID monitor can tell if you take your medicine

That's great news. It's a product that will benefit a lot of people doing research as well as patients who are not responding to treatment due to failure to comply with medication schedules.

-Jeff

3. TopTop #3
    sharingwisdom

You do realize that my intention in posting this was very different from yours though I'm not surprised that you thought it to be such "great news." Nothing like "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest" in real life...don't take your medicine...no problem... we'll control it right into your gut....and then we'll track you forever. Just doctors and family members? Hmmm. I think not. A great introduction for everyone...you bet! Personal freedoms out the door and into Big Brothers computer banks. Take a look at what they want to put in vaccines, what they want to tack onto the Immigration Law--the National ID Card with RFID chip installed. Passports with chips already are installed as well as credit cards, clothes, pets, the elder, inventories, traffic control, Smartmeters, and then what? Just us regular citizens to herd together and database.

It is more important than ever to educate ourselves and understand the technologies and the motivation of those who want to make this kind of high-tech a part of our daily lives. New technologies can be used to create a better world, or an Orwellian nightmare. We're in interesting times and hopefully enough of us will wake up from the Matrix. The choice is ours at the moment.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Braggi: View Post
    That's great news. It's a product that will benefit a lot of people doing research as well as patients who are not responding to treatment due to failure to comply with medication schedules.

-Jeff

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #4

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sharingwisdom: View Post
    New technologies can be used to create a better world, or an Orwellian nightmare.
    You have eloquently expressed the Orwellian view, and I am curious to know what forms of technology you are approving of in the "create a better world" part. How do you see that happening, and with what kind of technology?

Patrick Brinton

6. TopTop #5
    Braggi

You do realize that my intention in posting this was very different from yours though I'm not surprised that you thought it to be such "great news." Nothing like "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest" in real life...don't take your medicine...no problem... we'll control it right into your gut....and then we'll track you forever. Just doctors and family members? Hmmm. I think not. ...
    Oh, yes, I know, and my response was to get you thinking, not to seek any agreement from you. Every advance is a threat to some people.

But seriously now, how long do you suppose that "pill" is going to hang around in someone's gut? And who do you suppose will be under "control?" There are criminals who are court ordered to remain on medications so they'll be less likely to commit crimes in the future. Such a technology will make monitoring them cost effective and just plain effective. There was a suicide attempt in County Jail a few days ago because an inmate hoarded their pills and overdosed. That could have been prevented with this tool. Stroke victims who can't remember if they've taken their pills could be more closely followed. Patients with gut problems could be inexpensively monitored. I see only possibilities for good with this technology. Can you spell out some of your concerns?

Do you suppose the drug police will be following you around with wands to be sure you've taken your vitamins? I don't.

-Jeff

7. TopTop #6
    Sylph

The "tattle-tale" pill dissolves..it would be hard to make anything that is swallowed "stick" in the gut. Doesn't seem like a promising way to spy on us citizens:
    Quote The printed antenna dissolves, leaving traces of silver no greater than traces that can be found in tap water. The chip passes through the patient intact and is eliminated through the gastrointestinal tract.

8. TopTop #7
    Sylph

Georgia has been clever enough to ban microchipping of humans before it can be mandated:
    Wacky Georgia Legislature Fairly Representative Of Its Constiutents - The Awl

9. TopTop #8
    sharingwisdom

I really appreciate how you engaged me with the questions you asked. Thank you!

And just to say that the Orwellian view of technology is already here, not futuristic...misuse of nuclear power has been around since WWII to start. And I'm familar with many technologies that are covert by the military that have been in use for a long time without the public's full knowledge.

I find that technology can have both a light and shadow side depending on how or who develops and uses it-- the intention and the motivation--and then who works with it later. Just like Tesla's amazing inventions were set up for the good of mankind, our government attempted to use it in some very misaligned and damaging ways (the Philadelphia experiment).

So the forms of technology that I feel more aligned with are ones whose agenda is truely to advance humanity not enslave or destroy us...that the inspiration and creativity comes through initially as geuine caring about how it affect others. Of course, that is not easy to always tell unless research is done in who and how it was developed as well, for me, in using my intuitive senses. There are certain players in this planetary game whose credentials don't have humanities best interest at heart. Micro-chipping is one of these technologies. Like the Mafia, the front looks good in the developments, but thre is danger lurking right behind. https://www.wanttoknow.info/totalcontrol#microchips
    The same goes for GMO's and cloning.

I have met several scientists from around the world who have amazing technologies in cleaning up polluted waters quickly to advanced vehicles that fly but have been harassed or threatened with death and had to go underground. Their intentions were pure in the possibilities of truely helping mankind. They said they were waiting until certain governments changed, and humanity evolved enough to accept more responsibility for their actions. I feel that their awareness is true.

Below are some technologies that fascinate me, that I feel have the betterment of humanity in mind without an alternative agenda. I put many of these kinds in my newsletters each month.

BlackLight Power – the $60 million dollar company which has come up with a breakthrough renewable energy source which defies the laws of physics. Most scientists say that company's technology violates the basic laws of physics. Such skepticism doesn't daunt Dr. Randell Mills, a Harvard-trained physician and founder of BlackLight, who recently claimed that he has created a working fuel cell using the world's most pervasive element: the hydrogen found in water.
    https://www.examiner.com/x-6495-US-Intelligence-Examiner~y2009m8d2-Renewable-energy-source-takes-off-BlackLight-Power?cid=examiner-email

Pnanav Mistrym computer genius talks on how he is interfacing the physical world with the digital/data world showing several tools.
    Fluid interfaces including a deep look at his SixthSense device and a new, portable and wearable paradigm-shifting "laptop or phone.” https://www.ted.com/talks/pranav_mistry_the_thrilling_potential_of_sixthsense_technology.html

Canadian teen's process decomposes plastic bagsAs countries and cities around the world move to ban plastic bags, a Canadian teenager is tackling the problem of what to do with them. High school student, Daniel Burd, successfully isolated microorganisms from soil and used them to help degrade 43 percent of his polyethylene sample within a few weeksin a science project that recently won him the C$10,000 ($9,800) top prize at the Canada-Wide Science Fair. https://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSN0535499620080605

A unique fungus that makes diesel compounds directly from cellulose has been discovered living in trees in the Patagonian rainforest. The discovery may offer an alternative to fossil fuels, said Strobel, MSU professor of plant sciences and plant pathology, who travels the world looking for exotic plants that may contain beneficial microbes. The find is even bigger, he said, than his 1993 discovery of fungus that contained the anticancer drug taxol. "This is the only organism that has ever been shown to produce such an important combination of fuel substances," said Strobel. "The fungus can even make these diesel compounds from cellulose, which would make it a better source of biofuel than anything we use at the moment."
    https://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/nov2008/2008-11-04-02.asp

Quote Posted in reply to the post by pbrinton: View Post
    You have eloquently expressed the Orwellian view, and I am curious to know what forms of technology you are approving of in the "create a better world" part. How do you see that happening, and with what kind of technology?

Patrick Brinton

10. Gratitude expressed by:

11. TopTop #9
    sharingwisdom

[Oh, yes, I know, and my response was to get you thinking, not to seek any agreement from you. Every advance is a threat to some people.]

So you know people who every advance in technology is a threat? I'm so glad that this wasn't an inference about me.

[But seriously now, how long do you suppose that "pill" is going to hang around in someone's gut? ]

It's not the pill...it's the technology attached to it....does this dissolve?

[And who do you suppose will be under "control?"]

Many

[There are criminals who are court ordered to remain on medications so they'll be less likely to commit crimes in the future. Such a technology will make monitoring them cost effective and just plain effective. There was a suicide attempt in County Jail a few days ago because an inmate hoarded their pills and overdosed. That could have been prevented with this tool. Stroke victims who can't remember if they've taken their pills could be more closely followed. Patients with gut problems could be inexpensively monitored. I see only possibilities for good with this technology. Can you spell out some of your concerns? ]

Thank you for asking. When it comes to how bureaucracies handle individuals in their institutions, problems arise more often than not. I certainly understand, with the examples you gave, that you geniunely care about others receiving some kind of help. But I also see another agenda. Take a look at Holmsburg Prison The Truth About Dow*:*The Holmesburg Prison Experiments or A Dark Chapter In Medical History (Sonoma State Hospital). https://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/02/09/60II/main672701.shtml
    Technologies can look one way but something else is working from behind the scenes.

[Do you suppose the drug police will be following you around with wands to be sure you've taken your vitamins? I don't.]

No, they just won't let me buy my vitamins if Codex has their way and use their wands and arrest those who sell them.

-Jeff[/quote]

12. TopTop #10
    sharingwisdom

It is always interesting how the media uses their "pen" to humiliate those who stand up for their freedom and rights...name calling, shaming, you must be a wackey mentality. The military and governments have been experimenting with microchips/implants in people for years.

Microchip Mind Control, Implants And Cybernetics

The following excerpt was originally published in the 36th-year edition of the Finnish-language journal, SPEKULA (3rd Quarter, 1999). SPEKULA is a publication of Northern Finland medical students and doctors of Oulu University OLK (OULUN LAAKETIETEELLINEN KILTA).

By Rauni-Leena Luukanen-Kilde, MD Former Chief Medical Officer of Finland

The first brain implants were surgically inserted in 1874 in the state of Ohio, U.S.A., and also in Stockholm, Sweden. Brain electrodes were inserted into the skulls of babies in 1946 without the knowledge of their parents. In the 50's and 60's, electrical implants were inserted into the brains of animals and humans, especially in the U.S., during research into behavior modification, and brain and body functioning. Mind control (MC) methods were used in attempt to change human behavior and attitudes. Influencing brain functions became an important goal of military and intelligence services.

Thirty years ago brain implants showed up in xrays the size of one centimeter. Subsequent implants shrunk to the size of a grain of rice. They were made of silicon, later still of gallium arsenide. Today they are small enough to be inserted into the neck or back, and also intraven-ously in different parts of the body during surgical operations, with or without the consent of the subject. It is now almost impossible to detect or remove them.

It is technically possible for every newborn to be injected with a micro-chip, which could then function to identify the person for the rest of his or her life. Such plans are secretly being discussed in the U.S. without any public airing of the privacy issues involved. In Sweden, Prime Minister Olof Palme gave permission in 1973 to implant prisoners, and Data Inspection's ex-Director General Jan Freese revealed that nursing-home patients were implanted in the mid- 1980's. The technology is revealed in the 1972:47 Swedish state report, STATENS OFFICIELLA UTRADNINGER (SOU).

Guinea-pigs in secret experiments have included prisoners, soldiers, mental patients, handicapped children, deaf and blind people, homosexuals, single women, the elderly, school children and any group of people considered "marginal" by the elite experimenters. The published experiences of prisoners in Utah State Prison, for example, are shocking to the conscience.
    I don't think she's unstable at all. I think she has alot of courage to even say that in public. I applaud the woman and the legislature.

As what was said at the Sebastopol meeting tonight to stop the Not-so Smart Meter (RFID chip technology): "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever does." -- Margaret Mead

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sylph: View Post
    Georgia has been clever enough to ban microchipping of humans before it can be mandated:
    Wacky Georgia Legislature Fairly Representative Of Its Constiutents - The Awl

13. TopTop #11
    Shandi

I missed this post many years ago because I was "offline" for a long time, during severe depression from hip and foot pain. It came up because I posted about the RFID chips in our Driver's Licenses that can be used by anyone with a $40 device. The information was taken from the recent book called "Driver's License", published in Jan 2015.

I can see how some patients might view this as a "benefit", and it could be, depending on the situation.

March 31, 2010, BusinessWeek
    https://www.businessweek.com/idg/2010-03-31/edible-rfid-microchip-monitor...

Researchers at the University of Florida have combined RFID, microchips and printed nano-particle antennas to make pills that communicate with cell phones or laptops to tell doctors whether patients are taking their medicine. Still a prototype, the inventors hope their tattletale technology can be applied commercially to a range of medications in clinical trials and in treatment of patients with chronic diseases in which it is essential that the doses are taken and taken on time. The pill is a white capsule with a microchip embedded and with an antenna printed on the outside with ink containing silver nanoparticles. A device worn by the patient energizes the microchip via bursts of low-voltage electricity. The chip signal confirms the pill is in the stomach and the device sends a signal that the pill has been swallowed. The messages can go to cell phones or laptops to inform doctors or family members.

14. Gratitude expressed by: