Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Michael Pollan - Eat some meat!

Here's a 7 minute video of Michael Pollan answering Time's 10 questions. I'm just beginning to tune to Michael's work, with The Omnivore's Dilemma sitting at beside unopened. His new book Food Rules: An Eater's Manual. sounds like it offers both wise and common sense advice on the increasingly complicated question of "What's for dinner?"

I was struck by his comments about meat, saying that it is both healthy and environmentally constructive to eat sustainably raised meat.

What do you think?

See it here:
    10 Questions with Michael Pollan - Video - TIME.com
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #2
    jryeo

Re: Michael Pollan - Eat some meat!

Given carbon sequestration and increased biodiversity in intensively managed rangelands, yes it is environmentally constructive to eat sustainably farmed meat.

The "Free range" designation does not specify this type of farming - it's more a feel good thing for animal rights folks. Animals grazing preferentially on an open range are actually detrimental to the rangeland biodiversity and productivity. Conversely, high intensity short duration grazing enhances rangeland productivity by mildly tilling seeds into the soil, concentrating excrement, and equalizing pruning over all forage species to stimulate plant growth. There is no organization yet certifying intensely managed grazing.

Last edited by Barry; 01-25-2010 at 10:54 PM.

4. TopTop #3
    Jupiter13

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    I was struck by his comments about meat, saying that it is both healthy and environmentally constructive to eat sustainably raised meat.

What do you think?

See it here:10 Questions with Michael Pollan - Video - TIME.com
    After reading Lierre Keith's book "The Vegetarin Myth - food, justice and sustainability", I am convinced that eating sustainably raised meat is both healthier for us and environmentally much more constructive than a diet based on monocrops grown (mostly) in other places. I think that many environmentally-conscious and compassionate people have been led astray and stopped eating meat altogether because of our objection to factory farming and a misunderstanding about eating a grain-based diet. Although we need to oppose factory farming and the corporate take over of our food system, there is compelling evidence that vegetarianism actually works against our goals of health and sustainability. I speak as a former vegan and vegetarian. I highly recommend reading her book.

Best,

Sasha
    Last edited by Barry; 01-26-2010 at 04:57 PM.

5. TopTop #4
    WeAreLove

Not to mention the emotional savageness that seems to overwhelm most of the vegans I've known. It's like they're always hypoglycemic or something.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Jupiter13: View Post
    After reading Lierre Keith's book "The Vegetarin Myth - food, justice and sustainability", I am convinced that eating sustainably raised meat is both healthier for us and environmentally much more constructive than a diet based on monocrops grown (mostly) in other places. I think that many environmentally-conscious and compassionate people have been led astray and stopped eating meat altogether because of our objection to factory farming and a misunderstanding about eating a grain-based diet. Although we need to oppose factory farming and the corporate take over of our food system, there is compelling evidence that vegetarianism actually works against our goals of health and sustainability. I speak as a former vegan and vegetarian. I highly recommend reading her book.

Best,

Sasha
    Last edited by Barry; 01-26-2010 at 04:57 PM.

6. TopTop #5
    Conly

Omnivores eat Vegetarians and other animals Too.
    But Vegans are tough and stringy
    and have little sense of humor about it all.
    Know your place in the Food Chain

The grass grows, the cricket eats the grass. The rat eats the cricket; the cat eats the rat.the cat dies and the grass grows.