Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    tarasun

companion animals and fleas

IN response to flea control. First, improving diet is number one. A properly made raw diet is the absolute most natural way to feed a carnivore,,,as nature intended. Processed food will never be good for any living being and this includes our animal companions. Improvement will not happen overnight but it will improve the animals ability to be less desireable to pests. Also, check with exercise, boredom, cleaning products used in and outside the home, vaccinations and medications can also cause itchy responses as well.
    Local nurseries can offer many less toxic ideas for the yard and garden. An infestation brings a new work ethic...like getting a second or third job.
    It requires constant and meticulous cleaning with SAFE products like steam, baking soda and vinegar. Intense linen washing in hot water and vacuum daily, removing the bag or emptying the cannister with each use.
    Flea comb daily...drop fleas into alcohol or soapy water to drown. You can bathe often if you use a simple shampoo like oatmeal or aloe depending on what causes the most skin soothing to your animal. Look for products with the least ingredients...if you cannot pronouce it or have to look it up. dont use it. Leaving a simple oatmeal solution on for five minutes before rinsing will smother the flea...
    And making a simple lemon water rinse to be spritzed on before a walk will often deter pests from jumping on...A quick brush/comb after a walk may be helpful, too.
    A saturated and pressed black or green tea bag held onto a bite is quite soothing...as is nonalcohol based witchhazel...

Most IMPORTANT is that NO Essential Oil should be used around or on cats of any age. Dogs and horses have an ability to handle these oils but will cause long term health problems in cats...Do not use...

For the yard,,,use beneficial nematodes..purchase locally or check out:
    www.arbico-organics.com for natural predators.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2

Re: companion animals and fleas

I am so grateful that you posted this - I will stop using Cedarcide on my cat immediately - and continue using it for the horses....
    Kate

Quote Posted in reply to the post by tarasun: View Post
    IN response to flea control. First, improving diet is number one. A properly made raw diet is the absolute most natural way to feed a carnivore,,,as nature intended. Processed food will never be good for any living being and this includes our animal companions. Improvement will not happen overnight but it will improve the animals ability to be less desireable to pests. Also, check with exercise, boredom, cleaning products used in and outside the home, vaccinations and medications can also cause itchy responses as well.
    Local nurseries can offer many less toxic ideas for the yard and garden. An infestation brings a new work ethic...like getting a second or third job.
    It requires constant and meticulous cleaning with SAFE products like steam, baking soda and vinegar. Intense linen washing in hot water and vacuum daily, removing the bag or emptying the cannister with each use.
    Flea comb daily...drop fleas into alcohol or soapy water to drown. You can bathe often if you use a simple shampoo like oatmeal or aloe depending on what causes the most skin soothing to your animal. Look for products with the least ingredients...if you cannot pronouce it or have to look it up. dont use it. Leaving a simple oatmeal solution on for five minutes before rinsing will smother the flea...
    And making a simple lemon water rinse to be spritzed on before a walk will often deter pests from jumping on...A quick brush/comb after a walk may be helpful, too.
    A saturated and pressed black or green tea bag held onto a bite is quite soothing...as is nonalcohol based witchhazel...

Most IMPORTANT is that NO Essential Oil should be used around or on cats of any age. Dogs and horses have an ability to handle these oils but will cause long term health problems in cats...Do not use...

For the yard,,,use beneficial nematodes..purchase locally or check out:
    www.arbico-organics.com for natural predators.

3. TopTop #3
    jesswolfe

I rarely use the Advantage unless things are way out of hand. I have three cats and I spend time each week, or more if I see a flea, combing them. They like it. It takes off some of the loose fur. And the fleas are easy to kill. I have one cat who is very allergic to things in the environment. She doesnt need more to contend with.

Good luck!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by afinenettle: View Post
    I am so grateful that you posted this - I will stop using Cedarcide on my cat immediately - and continue using it for the horses....
    Kate

4. TopTop #4
    winkle

I give mine a cooked rice and chicken diet. For sure he is allergic to fleas. I took him to the Vet who said he had allergies. It seems that he could be allergic to too many other things to figure out. The testing to find out would be 800.00 (UC Davis does it). Yikes!
    So the vet gives him a shot of something (sorry don't know what) every 3 months and wow! His fur, that had been chewed down to the skin has grown all back!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by afinenettle: View Post
    Kate

5. TopTop #5
    alanora

Sounds like your vet is treating your dog with steroids. While they do work wonders immediately, their long term effects can be cumulative and very deleterious, even deadly. Mindy

Quote Posted in reply to the post by winkle: View Post
    I give mine a cooked rice and chicken diet. For sure he is allergic to fleas. I took him to the Vet who said he had allergies. It seems that he could be allergic to too many other things to figure out. The testing to find out would be 800.00 (UC Davis does it). Yikes!
    So the vet gives him a shot of something (sorry don't know what) every 3 months and wow! His fur, that had been chewed down to the skin has grown all back!

6. TopTop #6
    jesswolfe

For cats, you can get vitamins for allergies. They need to have Omega-3 and -6 and biotin. My allergic kitty really likes them and the help her a lot.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by alanora: View Post
    Sounds like your vet is treating your dog with steroids. While they do work wonders immediately, their long term effects can be cumulative and very deleterious, even deadly. Mindy