Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1

Please "stop" using quotation marks like that!

I see quotation marks on everything lately. I saw a guy wearing a name tag the other day. The store had actually put his name in quotation marks.

I said, "So, you're allegedly George?" and he cracked up, knowing what I meant.

Unless you are literally quoting what someone has said or written, please refrain from mangling your sentences, it's painful to watch.

There are a few other uses for quotation marks aside from literal quotes, but emphasizing random words (like "stop" in the title above) is not one of them.

Here's more if you're interested
    How to Use Quotation Marks Correctly - wikiHow
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Re: Please "stop" using quotation marks like that!

And for a brilliant and funny treatise on all punctuation, read "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" by Lynne Truss.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Clancy: View Post
    I see quotation marks on everything lately. I saw a guy wearing a name tag the other day. The store had actually put his name in quotation marks.

I said, "So, you're allegedly George?" and he cracked up, knowing what I meant.

Unless you are literally quoting what someone has said or written, please refrain from mangling your sentences, it's painful to watch.

There are a few other uses for quotation marks aside from literal quotes, but emphasizing random words (like "stop" in the title above) is not one of them.

Here's more if you're interested
    How to Use Quotation Marks Correctly - wikiHow

3. TopTop #3
    podfish

Its probably an unavoidable part of the change in technology. Writing used to be published either in typeset form or handwritten form. Even thought there "are" ways to control the font in computer-distributed writings, each program has it's own unique way of controlling the representation of characters, and its too much to expect most casual users to learn them. There's something I see a lot in people's writing lately that bothers me too, though - I hope its obvious what "that" is...
    Last edited by Barry; 01-09-2010 at 03:41 PM.

4. TopTop #4

Nope, what we're talking about here is when people intentionally insert quotation marks, like you did below.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by podfish: View Post
    Its probably an unavoidable part of the change in technology. Writing used to be published either in typeset form or handwritten form. Even thought there "are" ways to control the font in computer-distributed writings, each program has it's own unique way of controlling the representation of characters, and its too much to expect most casual users to learn them. There's something I see a lot in people's writing lately that bothers me too, though - I hope its obvious what "that" is...
    Last edited by Barry; 01-09-2010 at 04:59 PM.

5. TopTop #5
    podfish

a joke explained is a joke that failed... but seriously, I do think it's tough to add emphasis to posts and emails. Using all caps, *other* symbols or smileys doesn't bother me.
    Personally, I'm more bothered by weird misspellings. In particular, swapping forgetting that there's no apostrophe in the third-person singular possessive.

unless you were making a meta-joke

Nope, what we're talking about here is when people intentionally insert quotation marks, like you did below.

6. TopTop #6

I wish I were smart enough to make meta-jokes, I was just in a hurry.

And there is already an effective way to add emphasis, just highlight the word then click on the slanted capital I in the tool bar. You can also make words bold, or you can underline them. Italicized seems to flow the best, don't you think?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by podfish: View Post
    a joke explained is a joke that failed... but seriously, I do think it's tough to add emphasis to posts and emails. Using all caps, *other* symbols or smileys doesn't bother me.
    Personally, I'm more bothered by weird misspellings. In particular, swapping forgetting that there's no apostrophe in the third-person singular possessive.

unless you were making a meta-joke