Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Shepherd

Lea Blowers on Jan. 5 Sebastopol City Council Agenda

The latest news is that a discussion of the proposed Leaf Blower ban apparently will be on the Sebastopol City Council agenda on Jan. 5, Tues., rather than Jan. 19, as earlier announced. The meeting starts at 6 p.m. at the Youth Annex, 425 Morris St. The earliest that leaf blowers would be discussed would probably be 7 p.m.; it is more likely that it would be later. Each person has up to 3 minutes to speak. Even if you decide not to speak, your presence there would be helpful to indicate the importance of this issue, which some still try to trivialize and minimize. If you do speak, please be civil and listen to other points of view. We are likely to be more persuasive if we do not rant. You may want to consult one or more of the websites listed below to further educate yourself.

Yesterday I sent the following email to Council members with a long list of articles recently published and an attached article. You can communicate with these friendly elected officials at the following email addresses: Mayor Sarah Gurney, [email protected]; Vice Mayor Guy Wilson, [email protected]; Linda Kelley, [email protected]; Kathleen Shaffer, [email protected]; Larry Robinson, [email protected]. I would welcome receiving a copy of anything that you might send to them. I am also including below a link to the Empire Report, based here in Sonoma County, which posted one of my articles.

Before going to the meeting, you might want to confirm that the leaf blower ban is on the agenda. If it gets bumped, you can still come at 6 p.m. and speak for 3 minutes during the Public Comments time, which is only for issues not on the agenda. Confirmation can be obtained from the City Clerk at 823-1153 or at City of Sebastopol - Home Page. Written documents related to leaf blowers should be available at City Hall, 7120 Bodega Ave. at the beginning of the year.
    Hope to see you Jan. 5,
    Shepherd Bliss

In Praise Of Fallen Leaves - Let Them Be! — Empire Report

Dear Sebastopol City Council Friends,
    You face a controversial decision. A potential leaf blower ban will apparently be discussed at your next meeting, Jan. 5. I and others hope that you will become informed about the health facts that have led to this opportunity to improve the quality of life and the health of your constituents.

Attached is a copy of my article “Tribute to Fallen Leaves—Let Them Be.” Links follow to a few of the many places where versions have been posted since I began sending them out less than a week ago. Two websites with further information, including short videos, are Zero Air Pollution at Zero Air Pollution, Los Angeles and Noise Pollution Clearinghouse, quieting noise pollution.

Sebastopol and Sonoma County residents are not alone in their concern about leaf blowers. Versions of my articles have appeared throughout the United States (including in USA Today), and in Europe, India, and Canada. Responses from around the world show that many people, for various reasons, want to be protected from what are also called “dirt blowers.” They are more than obnoxious; they are dangerous. Their limited benefits are far outweighed by their massive, long-term costs, most of which are hidden—to human health, the plant kingdom, the animal kingdom, air quality, the ecosystem, commercially, etc.

Many communities have already successfully banned blowers, without disastrous affects to gardening/landscaping businesses, such as will be claimed here, as they were claimed in communities when they sought bans. Time has proven those claims to be erroneous. In fact, in many cases businesses that support bans received a benefit, such as in Santa Barbara. Yes, there is a fear of change, which we will be addressing directly.

Various other articles on leaf blowers are scheduled to begin appearing in the local and national print media next month. Many eyes within and beyond the growing green international community will be on Sebastopol and how its people and City Council deal with leaf blowers in the months and perhaps years to come as we seek to educate people locally, regionally, state-wide, nationally, and internationally about leaf blower damage. Think globally, act locally.

Unlike the communities who dealt with this issue for ten or more years--resulting in long-term animosity and ill-feelings from some towards residents who approve of a ban--you have their experience and more recent scientific evidence with which to make a timely decision and not face a long, drawn out struggle. For those of us who suffer from leaf blower damage, we will be persistent and adamant, as were others who were victorious after decade-long struggles for seat belt and second-hand smoke laws.

If I can be of assistance, please contact me. I suggest you review the ARB Leaf Blower Report of 2000, which influenced California state legislators to cease efforts by ban opponents to remove all local leaf blower laws. It can be found at Subject Top Page: Leaf Blower Report

Our educational campaign will grow and continue until the Sebastopol City Council passes a law with teeth in it with penalties for violators that can be enforced. We will make it an issue in next year’s election and in future elections, if we need to. We need your help in whatever way you can. I welcome any responses from you.
    Your neighbor,
    Shepherd Bliss

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Shepherd

Re: Lea Blowers on Jan. 5 Sebastopol City Council Agenda

Sebastopol's City Manager informs me that the leaf blower restriction is now scheduled for a Feb. City Council meeting, rather than Jan. 5, as reported below. However, those wanting to speak about leaf blowers at the Jan. 5 meeting can do so during the Public Comment period, which is usually near the 6 p.m. start of the meeting. There is apparently no second meeting in Jan., which would have been Jan. 19. Leaf blowers will apparently be on the agenda at the Feb. 2 or Feb. 16 meeting. Since such things do sometimes change, it is best to confirm with the city right before a meeting.
    Shepherd

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    The latest news is that a discussion of the proposed Leaf Blower ban apparently will be on the Sebastopol City Council agenda on Jan. 5, Tues., rather than Jan. 19, as earlier announced. The meeting starts at 6 p.m. at the Youth Annex, 425 Morris St. The earliest that leaf blowers would be discussed would probably be 7 p.m.; it is more likely that it would be later. Each person has up to 3 minutes to speak. Even if you decide not to speak, your presence there would be helpful to indicate the importance of this issue, which some still try to trivialize and minimize. If you do speak, please be civil and listen to other points of view. We are likely to be more persuasive if we do not rant. You may want to consult one or more of the websites listed below to further educate yourself.

Yesterday I sent the following email to Council members with a long list of articles recently published and an attached article. You can communicate with these friendly elected officials at the following email addresses: Mayor Sarah Gurney, [email protected]; Vice Mayor Guy Wilson, [email protected]; Linda Kelley, [email protected]; Kathleen Shaffer, [email protected]; Larry Robinson, [email protected]. I would welcome receiving a copy of anything that you might send to them. I am also including below a link to the Empire Report, based here in Sonoma County, which posted one of my articles.

Before going to the meeting, you might want to confirm that the leaf blower ban is on the agenda. If it gets bumped, you can still come at 6 p.m. and speak for 3 minutes during the Public Comments time, which is only for issues not on the agenda. Confirmation can be obtained from the City Clerk at 823-1153 or at City of Sebastopol - Home Page. Written documents related to leaf blowers should be available at City Hall, 7120 Bodega Ave. at the beginning of the year.
    Hope to see you Jan. 5,
    Shepherd Bliss

Dear Sebastopol City Council Friends,
    You face a controversial decision. A potential leaf blower ban will apparently be discussed at your next meeting, Jan. 5. I and others hope that you will become informed about the health facts that have led to this opportunity to improve the quality of life and the health of your constituents.

Attached is a copy of my article “Tribute to Fallen Leaves—Let Them Be.” Links follow to a few of the many places where versions have been posted since I began sending them out less than a week ago. Two websites with further information, including short videos, are Zero Air Pollution at Zero Air Pollution, Los Angeles and Noise Pollution Clearinghouse, quieting noise pollution.

Sebastopol and Sonoma County residents are not alone in their concern about leaf blowers. Versions of my articles have appeared throughout the United States (including in USA Today), and in Europe, India, and Canada. Responses from around the world show that many people, for various reasons, want to be protected from what are also called “dirt blowers.” They are more than obnoxious; they are dangerous. Their limited benefits are far outweighed by their massive, long-term costs, most of which are hidden—to human health, the plant kingdom, the animal kingdom, air quality, the ecosystem, commercially, etc.

Many communities have already successfully banned blowers, without disastrous affects to gardening/landscaping businesses, such as will be claimed here, as they were claimed in communities when they sought bans. Time has proven those claims to be erroneous. In fact, in many cases businesses that support bans received a benefit, such as in Santa Barbara. Yes, there is a fear of change, which we will be addressing directly.

Various other articles on leaf blowers are scheduled to begin appearing in the local and national print media next month. Many eyes within and beyond the growing green international community will be on Sebastopol and how its people and City Council deal with leaf blowers in the months and perhaps years to come as we seek to educate people locally, regionally, state-wide, nationally, and internationally about leaf blower damage. Think globally, act locally.

Unlike the communities who dealt with this issue for ten or more years--resulting in long-term animosity and ill-feelings from some towards residents who approve of a ban--you have their experience and more recent scientific evidence with which to make a timely decision and not face a long, drawn out struggle. For those of us who suffer from leaf blower damage, we will be persistent and adamant, as were others who were victorious after decade-long struggles for seat belt and second-hand smoke laws.

If I can be of assistance, please contact me. I suggest you review the ARB Leaf Blower Report of 2000, which influenced California state legislators to cease efforts by ban opponents to remove all local leaf blower laws. It can be found at Subject Top Page: Leaf Blower Report

Our educational campaign will grow and continue until the Sebastopol City Council passes a law with teeth in it with penalties for violators that can be enforced. We will make it an issue in next year’s election and in future elections, if we need to. We need your help in whatever way you can. I welcome any responses from you.
    Your neighbor,
    Shepherd Bliss

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email