Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Valley Oak

Book Reading Club

Is anyone here in Waccoland interested in participating in a book reading club?
    As a group, we can select a book or some kind of literature. We can meet in person in Sebastopol or Santa Rosa and discuss a novel we are reading, such as Tolstoy’s “War and Peace," etc.

We can also use this forum, the Wacco List, to establish an online group to also serve as some kind of reference for feedback on novels, fiction, non-fiction, science fiction, we have already read. A kind of Wacco chat room or list where people can discuss publications that they are reading, etc.

So we can either have an in person group that meets and/or have a purely electronic group that talks about literature on Wacco. What do you think?

Thanks,

Edward
    Last edited by Valley Oak; 11-27-2009 at 01:56 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Karinako

Re: Book reading club?

Hello, Edward. Yes, I would be interested. I have had virtually no order in my reading over the past several years, reading everything by Dr. Dyer, Dr. Chopra, James Redfield, and the like. I would like to go back and concentrate on the wonderful work of the 1800 French and Russian writers, in particular. My web site is: Affordable Online Editing; English or ESL tutoring in Sonoma County. This comprises my resume and some letters of reference, and would give you some illumination on my past work and orientation.

Thank you for the offer. Would the meetings be in the Sebastopol area? I'm in Monte Rio, on the Russian River.

Best,

Karan Henley Haugh

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Valley Oak: View Post
    Is anyone here in Waccoland interested in participating in a book reading club?
    As a group, we can select a book or some kind of literature. We can meet in person in Sebastopol or Santa Rosa and discuss a novel we are reading, such as Tolstoy’s “War and Peace," etc.

We can also use this forum, the Wacco List, to establish an online group to also serve as some kind of reference for feedback on novels, fiction, non-fiction, science fiction, we have already read. A kind of Wacco chat room or list where people can discuss publications that they are reading, etc.

So we can either have an in person group that meets and/or have a purely electronic group that talks about literature on Wacco. What do you think?

Thanks,

Edward

3. TopTop #3
    Valley Oak

Either city is fine with me. I think we should wait until we have at least 3 or more people willing to commit to a book reading club. Then we can choose the city where most of the interested people live or live closest to.

The genre of novels is not specific. I did not intend to mislead you when I said, "...such as Tolstoy's "War and Peace." In reality, I have most any literature in mind but we can certainly start Tolstoy or Chekov, but it should be a group choice.

Thank you for expressing interest and I hope we can get at least one more person on board with us so we can launch our first reading group!

Perhaps there are other ways to find folks besides the Wacco List?

Edward

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Karinako: View Post
    Hello, Edward. Yes, I would be interested. I have had virtually no order in my reading over the past several years, reading everything by Dr. Dyer, Dr. Chopra, James Redfield, and the like. I would like to go back and concentrate on the wonderful work of the 1800 French and Russian writers, in particular. My web site is: Affordable Online Editing; English or ESL tutoring in Sonoma County. This comprises my resume and some letters of reference, and would give you some illumination on my past work and orientation.

Thank you for the offer. Would the meetings be in the Sebastopol area? I'm in Monte Rio, on the Russian River.

Best,

Karan Henley Haugh

4. TopTop #4
    Hot Compost

Either city is fine with me. I think we should wait until we have at least 3 or more people willing to commit to a book reading club. Then we can choose the city where most of the interested people live or live closest to.
    there was a book reading club that meets at the Sonoma Peace & Justice Center on Sebastopol Rd., on the East side of Highway 101. second Sunday of the month or something like that.

5. TopTop #5
    Karinako

Hello. I am very interested in such a possibility. Please let me know when all the details are decided upon I work on my own business at home, so I'm very flexible about days and times, although I would prefer meetings not during the evening. Call me, if need be, 865-9633.

Karan Henley Haugh

6. TopTop #6
    Valley Oak

That's great to hear.

One thing I'm thinking of right now is simply to make a list of people's favorite or top-of-the-list books that they want to read. So, along with Tolstoy and Chekov, I'd like to add a couple of books that are at the very top of my reading list:

"Birds of America"
    By Lorrie Moore

"A Gate at the Stairs"
    Also by Lorrie Moore

I would love to see yours and other people's favorites (as recommendations) as well as what they most want to read as a group. Some folks simply agree to read the same book and then compare notes at some point in the future but it's not the same.

Edward

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Karinako: View Post
    Hello. I am very interested in such a possibility. Please let me know when all the details are decided upon I work on my own business at home, so I'm very flexible about days and times, although I would prefer meetings not during the evening. Call me, if need be, 865-9633.

Karan Henley Haugh

7. TopTop #7
    handy

Re: Book Reading Club

A partial list of my "Basic Straining Manual" includes:

R. Buckminster Fuller
    - Synergetics: Explorations in the Geometry of Thinking
    - Inventory of World Resources, Human Trends and Needs
    - And It Came to Pass, Not to Stay
    - No More Secondhand God
    - Operating Manual for Spaceship Earth

Stafford Beer
    - Designing Freedom
    - Platform for Change
    - Brain of the Firm; A Development in Management Cybernetics
    - The Heart of Enterprise

Gregory Bateson
    - Steps to an Ecology of Mind

Mary Catherine Bateson
    - Our Own Metaphor
    - Composing a Life

Kirkpatrick Sale
    - Human Scale

William White
    - City

Immanuel Velikovski
    - Worlds in Collision

Has anyone read any of these? Would love to discuss...

-----------------

Have also read "1421", and am currently reading "1434", by Gavin Menzies, regarding Chinese exploration and mapping expeditions. Anybody else?

Thanks, and
    Best regards,
    Last edited by handy; 11-28-2009 at 09:21 AM. Reason: postscript

8. TopTop #8
    Barrie
    Supporting member

The genre of novels is not specific. I did not intend to mislead you when I said, "...such as Tolstoy's "War and Peace." In reality, I have most any literature in mind but we can certainly start Tolstoy or Chekov, but it should be a group choice.

Thank you for expressing interest and I hope we can get at least one more person on board with us so we can launch our first reading group!

Perhaps there are other ways to find folks besides the Wacco List?

Edward
    I am looking for a book group that reads mostly literature level fiction, but a good topical non-fiction would be ok some of the time. Barrie

9. TopTop #9
    Karinako

I would like to start with Russian writers of the 1800s because I feel in my 1800 French and Russian writers we never covered enough of these wonderful and very important writers. As a writer, myself, I feel that I would benefit by reading more of these masterpieces.

10. TopTop #10
    Valley Oak

Sounds splendid! Could you please list a few titles that represent the genre you are referring to? Not necessarily just the books that you want to read but also include, if you can, some titles that you have already read, which you like, that fit the description you gave.

Thank you,

Edward

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barrie: View Post
    I am looking for a book group that reads mostly literature level fiction, but a good topical non-fiction would be ok some of the time. Barrie

11. TopTop #11
    Dixon

handy, it looks like you've got mostly good taste in writers. Bucky Fuller is one of my very biggest heroes.

But Velikovsky is a joke. His ludicrous attempts to cobble up scientific validation for religious superstition have been thoroughly refuted for years. I'd recommend you find Carl Sagan's long (around 60-80 pages) paper in which he quite entertainingly demolishes Velikovsky's theories. Sorry, I forget the name of it; try googling for it.

I read 1421 and was very impressed. Then I saw a TV special on the subject in which they convincingly cast doubt on part of Menzies' argument, but I think he still has lots of seemingly good evidence for his notion that the Chinese basically discovered the whole world before Columbus. But, I haven't thoroughly investigated the skeptical position on this, so am not totally sure Menzies is right.

Keep on readin'!

Dixon

12. TopTop #12
    Valley Oak

Do you have a list of personal favorite titles that you could post for us?

Thanks,

Edward

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dixon: View Post
    handy, it looks like you've got mostly good taste in writers. Bucky Fuller is one of my very biggest heroes.

But Velikovsky is a joke. His ludicrous attempts to cobble up scientific validation for religious superstition have been thoroughly refuted for years. I'd recommend you find Carl Sagan's long (around 60-80 pages) paper in which he quite entertainingly demolishes Velikovsky's theories. Sorry, I forget the name of it; try googling for it.

I read 1421 and was very impressed. Then I saw a TV special on the subject in which they convincingly cast doubt on part of Menzies' argument, but I think he still has lots of seemingly good evidence for his notion that the Chinese basically discovered the whole world before Columbus. But, I haven't thoroughly investigated the skeptical position on this, so am not totally sure Menzies is right.

Keep on readin'!

Dixon