Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    westcountyvintage

Molly Ct. Oak Tree 150 Yr's Old Why Cut Down?

We Now Live In The Neighborhood Where The Crane Vs. Oak Tree Accident Happened, I Feel For The Family's Trials However Can Prorerty Owners Just Cut Down Historic Old Growth Oak Trees Just For Landscaping Whims? I Have Personally Observed This Tree Up Fairly Close At The Accident Scene, It Seemed Extremely Solid To Me, Not The Threat Of A Dangerous Rotten Tree, So Solid A 15' Fork Toppled The Crane, Thats Solid Dense Wood Folks! Stop Cutting Our Trees, Especially Big Oaks! Which Trees Are Next If Our Cries Are Not Heard! Please Comment, Peace Love And Happiness, M
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Bryan

Re: Molly Ct. Oak Tree 150 Yr's Old Why Cut Down?

I heard that the reason they took out the tree was that it was threatening their house. I would not like to live under any large oak tree. Remember the times limbs dropped at SRJC? These folks moved into the house a few months ago and spent the money to remove what they considered a danger to their house. Its not just the trunk but any large overhanging limb. Also, to me, its their house and they should be able to do with it what they want as long as it doesn't affect their neighbors. I have removed a number of dying trees from my small farm and we are in the process of planting a number of fruit and olive trees to go back in.
    My new neighbor has a large limb over their house and is trying to figure out a way to remove it - but it is entangled in PG&E wires so it will cost a LOT to remove as PG&E wants money just to cut off the power so it can be done safely.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by westcountyvintage: View Post
    We Now Live In The Neighborhood Where The Crane Vs. Oak Tree Accident Happened, I Feel For The Family's Trials However Can Prorerty Owners Just Cut Down Historic Old Growth Oak Trees Just For Landscaping Whims? I Have Personally Observed This Tree Up Fairly Close At The Accident Scene, It Seemed Extremely Solid To Me, Not The Threat Of A Dangerous Rotten Tree, So Solid A 15' Fork Toppled The Crane, Thats Solid Dense Wood Folks! Stop Cutting Our Trees, Especially Big Oaks! Which Trees Are Next If Our Cries Are Not Heard! Please Comment, Peace Love And Happiness, M

3. TopTop #3
    westcountyvintage

reply: you mean they bought the house with the thoughts of killing that tree from the start, that tree was there before that tract home was built around and under it, ( i bet there were special provisions that enabeled that)remember you can't build or cultivate under the drip line, i think they and the arborist should be investigated and possibly prosecuted, or maybe the tree already handed out justice at the cost of its life!
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Bryan: View Post
    I heard that the reason they took out the tree was that it was threatening their house. I would not like to live under any large oak tree. Remember the times limbs dropped at SRJC? These folks moved into the house a few months ago and spent the money to remove what they considered a danger to their house. Its not just the trunk but any large overhanging limb. Also, to me, its their house and they should be able to do with it what they want as long as it doesn't affect their neighbors. I have removed a number of dying trees from my small farm and we are in the process of planting a number of fruit and olive trees to go back in.
    My new neighbor has a large limb over their house and is trying to figure out a way to remove it - but it is entangled in PG&E wires so it will cost a LOT to remove as PG&E wants money just to cut off the power so it can be done safely.

4. TopTop #4
    photolite

It doesn't appear that any one of us on this thread really knows what the circumstances were here. For all we know they did their diligence and the grand old tree was a legitimate threat to life and..um..limb.
    Photo

Quote Posted in reply to the post by westcountyvintage: View Post
    reply: you mean they bought the house with the thoughts of killing that tree from the start, that tree was there before that tract home was built around and under it, ( i bet there were special provisions that enabeled that)remember you can't build or cultivate under the drip line, i think they and the arborist should be investigated and possibly prosecuted, or maybe the tree already handed out justice at the cost of its life!

5. TopTop #5
    paulswetdog

I love those trees. My parents bought a lot in Pleasanton with a 450 year old Valley Oak on it that was so big its canopy covered half the lot. I was one of the biggest I have ever seen. I lived under that beautiful tree for nearly 20 years. I love that tree.

That being said, does anyone here actually know why the tree was being taken down? Was it diseased? Dying? Was there any other choice?

I was tempted to ask "would you rather they left the tree until it fell on their sleeping baby?", but decided against that tack.

6. TopTop #6
    photolite

You are sooo right about the wonder of these trees. I think my favorite of the sort in Sonoma County may be the old giant out in front of Jack London's writing room at Beauty Ranch. It's always painful to lose these awesome creatures. I believe I did read in the PD that the one in question was diseased but how much can you trust what you hear from the Media?
    Photo

Quote Posted in reply to the post by paulswetdog: View Post
    I love those trees. My parents bought a lot in Pleasanton with a 450 year old Valley Oak on it that was so big its canopy covered half the lot. I was one of the biggest I have ever seen. I lived under that beautiful tree for nearly 20 years. I love that tree.

That being said, does anyone here actually know why the tree was being taken down? Was it diseased? Dying? Was there any other choice?

I was tempted to ask "would you rather they left the tree until it fell on their sleeping baby?", but decided against that tack.