Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    hdawn13

rifle place fire wood

Hi does anyone know the address and/or name of the rifle place just off of Airport that has scrap wood for free?
    Are you suppose to call first?
    My cat is cold

thanks so much
    HD
    Last edited by hdawn13; 10-29-2009 at 10:59 PM. Reason: wanted
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    don
    Founding Member

Re: rifle place fire wood

Not sure if the wood is free but I think you are asking about

CALI'CO Hardwoods, Inc.
    3580 Westwind Boulevard
    Santa Rosa, CA 95403-8256 (get map)
    Phone: 707.546.4045
    Fax: 707.546.4027
    Email: [email protected]

Cheers
    don

Quote Posted in reply to the post by hdawn13: View Post
    Hi does anyone know the address and/or name of the rifle place just off of Airport that has scrap wood for free?
    My cat is cold

thanks so much
    HD

3. TopTop #3
    santarosie

Quote Posted in reply to the post by don: View Post

CALI'CO Hardwoods, Inc.
    3580 Westwind Boulevard

Cheers
    don
    That is the place. They sell discarded walnut wood pieces in a pallet for $75, and it is a huge amount. They will load the pallet on the back of your pickup. The wood is excellent for burning; burns very hot and long. Friends who have visited have asked to take pieces for their woodworking projects.
    Last edited by Barry; 11-11-2009 at 09:29 AM.

4. TopTop #4
    Cheingrand

Quote Posted in reply to the post by don: View Post

CALI'CO Hardwoods, Inc.
    3580 Westwind Boulevard

Cheers
    don
    I've been using this wood for many years in a stove and a fireplace. It's kiln-dried black walnut, very dense and very aromatic. It's a great price for many BTUs. One thing to keep in mind if you have a pallet loaded into your truck by their fork-lift. The wood is stacked on a pallet in a large square, but is not secured. On the drive home, you will lose a lot of wood on the first turn. I was spending time knocking down the load to better distribute in my truck when I saw a guy simply wrap his stack with some shrink wrap plastic and drive off. Much easier.
    Last edited by Barry; 11-11-2009 at 09:29 AM.

5. TopTop #5
    LADYWITHART

Hi, they usually run an ad in P.D. under fire wood for sale.
    Suzanne

Quote Posted in reply to the post by hdawn13: View Post
    My cat is cold

thanks so much
    HD

6. TopTop #6
    bluehamill

Calico Hardwoods

7. TopTop #7

The posters who say it is Calico Hardwoods are correct, as is the address listed.

The wood is not free. The last time I bought it, a couple of years ago, it was about $70 to $75 a palette. It is good wood, ideal for a wood stove.

If I remember correctly, there was a scrap pile or two, as well, of small random pieces. I don't know what the charge for going through this was; perhaps this is what you've heard about.

Definitely call first. Again, last time I checked, they sold to the public on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by LADYWITHART: View Post
    Hi, they usually run an ad in P.D. under fire wood for sale.
    Suzanne
    Last edited by oliviathunderkitty; 11-12-2009 at 10:41 PM.

8. TopTop #8
    BizWrangler

I've been buying firewood from Calico for a number of years. First, they are usually open two days a wood for scrap wood sales, depending on the season. It's usually Wednesday and Saturday from 8 am to 4 pm. No, you do not need to call ahead. Just show up at least an hour before closing. The guy in charge of scrap wood sales is named Steve.

You can drive back and get a pallet of wood. If you have an open pickup, he can use his forklift to pick up a pallet and slide it onto your truck bed. These are large pieces, good for using after you already have a good fire started. There isn't any kindling kind of wood in these pallets.

Your other option is the 'wood pile' out back. You can drive back there and pick through the pile, toss what you want into your vehicle, and then stop to show Steve what you have. He will name your price depending on how much and what you've got. After you've loaded up what you want, you drive back to where Steve hangs out, either at the front building or by the pallets, and he will look into your truck and tell you the cost. NO wood is FREE.

The wood in the pile is either green wood that you need to age, or trimmings from the wood they've had that has already dried out. You can find all sorts of shapes and sizes, from thin slivers to large hunks - depending. This time of year, it is usually pretty well picked through, and the best is already gone.

With the economy the way it is, they are not making so many gun stocks as before, so the seasoned wood trimmings are not as often. Most of what is back in the pile is older stuff from prior years, giant slabs (great for making table tops, etc), and really green stuff you need to set aside until next winter.

The wood pile also is surrounded by a pretty good size moat during rainy season - so you'll need a 4x4 if it's muddy to get anywhere close.

I suggest getting a pallets (they sold out rather early last year, so don't delay) and then finding another source for your kindling and get the fire started wood. My problem with pallet wood from Calico is that my wood burning stove door is not wide enough for about 1/2 to 1/3 of the wood on the pallet. So I can't use it. The wood is in slabs of about 3 - 4" thick, but then the can be quite wide, and won't fit into the door of my stove. You will still need other wood for getting a good fire going before putting these slabs onto your fire. They're great after you've got a good fire established, and want to load up and crank down for the night - as they give off good warmth and last a while. But they are not what you would use to get your fire going.

I hope this is of some help to you folks wanting to stay warm affordably!
    I was up there recently, and realized I missed the boat by not getting my wood by September. You can still get pallets, though - so do so while they last.