Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    arthunter

If you have a stray cat or dog on your property or you've lost a pet please read this

Hi,

My name's Rosanne and I'm the woman who's been looking for the lost orange tabby ... I'm sure that you've seen my posters and read my posts ...

I've been searching for my cat for many months now... he was stolen and dumped so I expected this to be difficult...

While searching for my own cat I've found many other stray cats around Sonoma County. Some of them I've saved ... yay ... but others remain, trying to survive out there and doing a good job of it....

Many, many people have contacted me about stray orange tabby cats. Some of these cats might be wild but a lot of them aren't ... they're just lost or abandoned. They are not easy to catch and folks don't want to bring them to the humane society because they might be killed there ... a valid concern ...

Publicity is the key when reuniting lost pets with their owners and I have long felt that we need a public forum for documenting the strays in our community. Without this owners, like myself, have little chance of finding a lost pet. Signs fade, people take them down, owner's give up prematurely and the lost pet becomes yet another stray in the community.

To help with this situation I've started a Yahoo group called Sonoma County Stray Pet Network. You can access it here:

StrayPetNetwork : Sonoma County Stray Pet Network

I have a stray cat on my property and I'll be taking a photo of it soon and posting it here. I urge you to do the same with any strays on your property. Often, you can't get close enough to touch the animal, but you can get a good photo with a digital camera, especially if it has a zoom.

When you post a photo please also write a quick description, ... how long it's been at your property, size, etc. and contact information... and please tell your animal loving friends about this group.

This is a new idea for me so suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks!
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Skook

Re: If you have a stray cat or dog on your property or you've lost a pet please read this

Quote Posted in reply to the post by arthunter: View Post
    ...folks don't want to bring them to the humane society because they might be killed there ... a valid concern ...
    The Sonoma County Humane Society is a 'No kill' shelter.

That means that when you bring a cat, dog or any other animal to them, they will assess the animal and accept or reject it. If they accept it, it will be lovingly cared for until they find it a good home.

If they reject it, you are free to take it elsewhere, where it may or may not be euthanized.

IMO, euthanization is often far more humane than death by starvation, disease or infection. Domestic cats on their own lead short, brutal lives. In any of our shelters, they have a far better chance at a good life, or at least a humane end.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email