Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    spaceforart

Stop State Parks Closing-Take Action

We must stop the Governor's plan to close over 200 of our state parks. Just this week, the Governor announced a new proposal to eliminate state funding for our state park system – which will close more than 80% of the 279-unit state park system. His proposal to cut $143 million from our state parks is 10 times worse than last year's proposal. CSPF is kicking off the Save Our State Parks campaign again, and we need your help to take action TODAY and tell the Governor and your state legislators that gutting funding to state parks is unacceptable.
    Next Tuesday, June 2, the Legislature's Budget Conference Committee will consider this proposal. State park advocates need to make their voices heard RIGHT NOW. Your contact to your legislators is critical.
    To act go to:

Take Action: Don't Close Our State Parks!

:runLeopard:
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Tars

Re: Stop State Parks Closing-Take Action

Glad to go action with you! Er...it would be helpful if you would tell us where the money should be taken from instead of the state parks.

I've used our state parks extensively; they're wonderful. I don't know that Shwarzeneger is actually intending that they be closed. Quite possible that he's rattling voters' sensibilities ahead of tough decisions. I don't envy his administrative choices. Cuts have to be made. That, or real reliable new sources of funding need to appear. Barring that, the tough question is, which special interests' favorite budget items will go.

I know, let's put out a ballot initiative to keep the parks open! Or, how 'bout this possible initiative - since much (most?) marijuana is grown on park land anyway, let's legalize pot, tax it, and earmark the proceeds to fund parks!

3. TopTop #3
    spaceforart

There are tough decisions, although 200 out of 275 state parks seems really excessive.
    Maybe we could cut back on the non-stop freeway widenings?
    Maybe parks employees could cut days?

I find do find it ironic, that Gray Davis was ousted for his alleged incompetence and inablilty to balance the budget. Seems it was a tougher task than previously considered.

If Davis couldn't and the terminator can't ? I don't know....

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Tars: View Post
    Glad to go action with you! Er...it would be helpful if you would tell us where the money should be taken from instead of the state parks.

I've used our state parks extensively; they're wonderful. I don't know that Shwarzeneger is actually intending that they be closed. Quite possible that he's rattling voters' sensibilities ahead of tough decisions. I don't envy his administrative choices. Cuts have to be made. That, or real reliable new sources of funding need to appear. Barring that, the tough question is, which special interests' favorite budget items will go.

I know, let's put out a ballot initiative to keep the parks open! Or, how 'bout this possible initiative - since much (most?) marijuana is grown on park land anyway, let's legalize pot, tax it, and earmark the proceeds to fund parks!

4. TopTop #4
    photolite

Not a week goes by where I don't make at least three visits to one of our local state parks. I've been following this issue yet I'm still not sure what "closing" the parks means. I don't believe it means barring entry from those who would walk in. I can always find a spot to park a car or bike within walking distance of a park entrance. I assume it means that any that offer camping no longer will. I also guess that parking areas may be closed, life guards unavailable, trails will go unmaintained,...that sort of thing. I can live with all that. In some instances I think it might even be an improvement as too many amenities often devalue the "wilderness" aspect of many of these places.

Gray Davis wasn't dealing with an across the board meltdown of tax revenues so I don't feel it's fair to compare his situation to Arnold's. I'd rather see parks "closed" than necessary social programs cut (which I know is happening anyway).
    Photo

Quote Posted in reply to the post by spaceforart: View Post
    There are tough decisions, although 200 out of 275 state parks seems really excessive.

I find do find it ironic, that Gray Davis was ousted for his alleged incompetence and inablilty to balance the budget. Seems it was a tougher task than previously considered.

5. TopTop #5
    Stewards

A couple facts to consider:
    For every dollar that funds the parks, $2.35 is returned to the state's General Fund through economic activities in the communities surrounding the parks. That means eliminating all funding for state parks could actually result in the state losing over $350 million dollars in revenue.

This action will cause small communities like the Russian River area to be drastically affected. The low river flows plus this action could be devastating to the community.

State Park employees are already taking two furlough days a month and will soon take another 5% cut in pay.

This action makes no economic sense!

Please take action by Monday at Save Our State Parks!

Stewards of the Coast and Redwoods

6. TopTop #6
    Tars

Quote Posted in reply to the post by photolite: View Post
    I'm still not sure what "closing" the parks means. I don't believe it means barring entry from those who would walk in. I can always find a spot to park a car or bike within walking distance of a park entrance. I assume it means that any that offer camping no longer will. I also guess that parking areas may be closed, life guards unavailable, trails will go unmaintained,...that sort of thing.
    Nature photography has taken me to state parks mainly during the off-season non-tourist seasons - especially winter and early spring. You have it right - campground access barred off, trails not maintained, closed showers and fewer restrooms. But I've found open access to the parks themselves, plenty of parking, and best of all...quiet. I saw regular ranger patrols.

I'm thinking that tourist usage will be down anyway, as the parks exist now. The cost of hauling a chrome-bedangled 40-foot motorhome around, and evaporated 401K funds should mean reduced demand for "camping" parking lots, and the personnel to maintain them.

I wouldn't be surprised to see more volunteerism by retired boomers who want to find an affordable way to "go up the country".

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Stewards:
    For every dollar that funds the parks, $2.35 is returned to the state's General Fund through economic activities in the communities surrounding the parks. That means eliminating all funding for state parks could actually result in the state losing over $350 million dollars in revenue.
    I read that same article. It went on to point out that the big revenue earners are state "parks" like the Hearst Castle and other amusement-park-style-bus-tour tourist attractions. Sadly, the relatively low-volume state parks, where there's more natural beauty will be the worst hit.

7. TopTop #7
    Roland Jacopetti

Quote Posted in reply to the post by photolite: View Post
    Not a week goes by where I don't make at least three visits to one of our local state parks. I've been following this issue yet I'm still not sure what "closing" the parks means. I don't believe it means barring entry from those who would walk in. I can always find a spot to park a car or bike within walking distance of a park entrance. I assume it means that any that offer camping no longer will. I also guess that parking areas may be closed, life guards unavailable, trails will go unmaintained,...that sort of thing. I can live with all that. In some instances I think it might even be an improvement as too many amenities often devalue the "wilderness" aspect of many of these places.

Gray Davis wasn't dealing with an across the board meltdown of tax revenues so I don't feel it's fair to compare his situation to Arnold's. I'd rather see parks "closed" than necessary social programs cut (which I know is happening anyway).
    Photo

You can close a building - put chains on the doors and sheets of plywood over the windows. You can close a parking lot - chain and put reverse spikes on all entrances. But how can you close the outdoors, when it's, by nature, open. I guess the gummint can hire legions of guards (hopefully armed with appropriate weaponry) to guard the parks day and night, but that would probably cost more than maintaining them. BUT...and here's a chillling thought...you can SELL the parks for private development. Did that give you a chill?
    Roland

8. TopTop #8
    photolite

If indeed the State Parks are a profit center for the state's general fund then this makes absolutely no sense as a response to a fiscal crisis. This is the first time I've heard this bit of information and I haven't seen any substantiation of it beyond that single statement by Elisabeth Goldstein so I'm inclined to be suspicious of its veracity.

At least one of the links does however express some of the views I stated:

Fans say closing parks isn't answer for budget

Not everyone was heartbroken over the threat of park closures. Back in San Mateo County, John Kramer, who works in the general store in San Gregorio, a town not far from the coast, said the closures will free up the beaches for local residents.
    "It'll stop all the people coming over from San Jose with their trash and cases of (beer)," he said. "In a lot of ways, this will be a good thing."
    Local surfers and fishermen won't be affected by locked parking lots because they can walk to the beach, and once there they can let their dogs off leash without risking a $200 ticket, he said.
    "They can close whatever they want," he said. "But they can't stop anyone from going surfing."

This article also states that the revenues generated by some of the parks is already down:
    "Park attendant Evan Waters, who collects $6 parking fees from visitors to Pomponio State Beach, said he wasn't surprised the beach was slated for closure. The number of visitors has declined dramatically since the economy began unraveling.
    A few years ago, a typical busy Saturday would net about $2,000 in parking fees. But this past Memorial Day, he collected only $290."

The negative impact on the communities who rely on this traffic is undeniable and unfortunate. We're in uncharted waters and if their is no money for many of the amenities we're accustomed to then difficult choices must be made. I guess my thoughts about this is that, so long as the state doesn't decide to sell them off to private developers as Roland suggests as a possibility (which did indeed make me shiver), they will be there to re-boot when we're past this difficult period.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Stewards: View Post
    A couple facts to consider:

This action will cause small communities like the Russian River area to be drastically affected. The low river flows plus this action could be devastating to the community.

State Park employees are already taking two furlough days a month and will soon take another 5% cut in pay.

This action makes no economic sense!

Please take action by Monday at Save Our State Parks!

Stewards of the Coast and Redwoods
    Last edited by photolite; 05-31-2009 at 06:17 PM.

9. TopTop #9
    Barrie
    Supporting member

We must stop the Governor's plan to close over 200 of our state parks. Just this week, the Governor announced a new proposal to eliminate state funding for our state park system – which will close more than 80% of the 279-unit state park system. His proposal to cut $143 million from our state parks is 10 times worse than last year's proposal. CSPF is kicking off the Save Our State Parks campaign again, and we need your help to take action TODAY and tell the Governor and your state legislators that gutting funding to state parks is unacceptable.
    Next Tuesday, June 2, the Legislature's Budget Conference Committee will consider this proposal. State park advocates need to make their voices heard RIGHT NOW. Your contact to your legislators is critical.
    To act go to:

Take Action: Don't Close Our State Parks!

:runLeopard:
    I am glad that the governor is threatening to close parks. Since the inception of Proposition 13 the most vulnerable Californians have been loosing the necessities of life while the middle classes have mostly been oblivious. The exception to this is the degradation of our schools. Proposition 13 was sold as an initiative to keep property taxes fair and payable, especially for people on fixed incomes. The reality is that it was to allow big corporations like Chevron and other wealthy land owners avoid paying their fair share of what it costs to live and do business in California.

It is time to rewrite proposition 13 to make the fat cats pay their fair share. I am glad that the cuts are finally affecting people who so far haven't been hurt by Proposition 13, it's waking us up to the fact that California is being degraded by this scam.

Barrie