Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Lorrie

Grocery Shopping these days

You know, Sat I went to safeway in Grnv'l and bought
    2 apples
    3 bananas

2 oranges
    2 potatoes
    1 avocado

8oz pkg of snap peas

a small lemon juice

a gal of milk

And this all cost $25.00? Luckily the Safeway card made it $21 and change which was all I had after I recycled some plastic bottles just before I went in! That sucks, I admit I haven't really paid attention to the cost cause I used to always have enough. If I did I probably would have put everything back. But when you are down to your last buck! Man! That hurts!

For some reason I am shocked... huh? That's cause I remember that all would have been about like $5-10 bucks a long time ago yesterday.... I am bummin'
    (oh I know I know I should have gone to one of the f&v stands but that's gas!)
    Last edited by Barry; 02-09-2009 at 04:33 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    decterlove

Re: Grocery Shopping these days

I don't get it, Lorrie. What's the punch line? I usually like your jokes a lot but this one leaves me flat and tasteless. It lacks flavor and originality. I like dry humor but this attempt is like chewing on Saltines in the Sahara.

Come on, grrl...you can do better!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Lorrie: View Post
    2 apples
    3 bananas
    2 oranges
    2 potatoes
    1 avocado
    8oz pkg of snap peas
    a small lemon juice
    a gal of milk

And this all cost $25.00? Luckily the Safeway card made it $21 and change which was all I had after I recycled some plastic bottles just before I went in! That sucks, I admit I haven't really paid attention to the cost cause I used to always have enough. If I did I probably would have put everything back. But when you are down to your last buck! Man! That hurts!

For some reason I am shocked... huh? That's cause I remember that all would have been about like $5-10 bucks a long time ago yesterday.... I am bummin' (oh I know I know I should have gone to one of the f&v stands but that's gas!)
    Last edited by decterlove; 02-09-2009 at 04:58 PM.

3. TopTop #3
    Lorrie

DECTORLOVE,
    THAT WAS NO JOKE, I WAS SHARING MY LIFE EXPERIENCE. IT IS A REAL THING!!!

YES! My life also leaves me flat and tasteless. It lacks flavor and originality...is like chewing on Saltines in the Sahara.

I like dry humor too!

All my jokes are posted in the censored and uncensored catagory under..."Jokes by Lorrie, from someone...for your read"
    There are some new ones as of today...check there!

4. TopTop #4
    Hot Compost

2 apples - $1
    3 bananas - $1.50 max

2 oranges - $1
    2 potatoes - $2 max
    1 avocado -$1 max

8oz pkg of snap peas

a small lemon juice

a gal of milk

And this all cost $25.00?
    for that price you should get a Partridge in a Pear Tree.

at G&G in Santa Rosa that would be, well i put in the prices that i knew.

yeah i go right past the produce section when i'm at Safeway, no reason to shop there.

is that for organic produce or Safeway normal agribiz produce ? i pray my calling it that doesn't take away your appetite.

5. TopTop #5
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

If you were buying more groceries, you would probably save the gas amount by driving to G&G, and you would get better produce and better choices. I don't drive to SR just for a trip to G&G (it's 50 miles for me) but I go to G&G whenever I am going to SR. I noticed years ago that G&G had several brands of most items, when Safeway or Lucky would have just one, maybe plus their house brand, and at much higher prices.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Hot Compost: View Post
    for that price you should get a Partridge in a Pear Tree.

at G&G in Santa Rosa that would be, well i put in the prices that i knew.

yeah i go right past the produce section when i'm at Safeway, no reason to shop there.

is that for organic produce or Safeway normal agribiz produce ? i pray my calling it that doesn't take away your appetite.

6. TopTop #6
    Lorrie

I live in Grnv'l and don't go to SR much except for going to work, but when I get off the last thing I think about is shopping in SR cause I am anxious to get back to Grnv'l. Probably from habit, cause for three years I didn't have a car and always was wondering how I would get back home if I went to Santa Rosa. I think I am still trapped in that mind set. I love going to Andy's Produce good prices there...
    But Sfwy in Grnv'l is the only grocery store I think of because its the only one in town...but now that I am thinking of it Food for Humans may now be less expensive than Sfwy...think I will check there...Oh and the grapes that I bought at Sfwy SUCK!!! Dole brand...very disapointed...very disapointed...very....dis...
    Maybe I picked the wrong batch...hmmm ... very disapointed...mumble grumble.....

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sara S: View Post
    If you were buying more groceries, you would probably save the gas amount by driving to G&G, and you would get better produce and better choices. I don't drive to SR just for a trip to G&G (it's 50 miles for me) but I go to G&G whenever I am going to SR. I noticed years ago that G&G had several brands of most items, when Safeway or Lucky would have just one, maybe plus their house brand, and at much higher prices.

7. TopTop #7
    RecycleSonomaCounty

.Oh and the grapes that I bought at Sfwy SUCK!!! Dole brand...very disapointed...very disapointed...very....dis...
    Maybe I picked the wrong batch...hmmm ... very disapointed...mumble grumble.....[/quote]

Take them back, get your money back and more grapes if you like for no charge.. I believe Safeway guarantees everything to be fresh and tasty. I have taken back all sorts of things. They have always been polite about it.
    Have a great day Lorrie!

Ann

8. TopTop #8
    decterlove

well, I'm sorry....it just wasn't funny.

DECTORLOVE,
    THAT WAS NO JOKE, I WAS SHARING MY LIFE EXPERIENCE. IT IS A REAL THING!!!

YES! My life also leaves me flat and tasteless. It lacks flavor and originality...is like chewing on Saltines in the Sahara.

I like dry humor too!

All my jokes are posted in the censored and uncensored catagory under..."Jokes by Lorrie, from someone...for your read"
    There are some new ones as of today...check there!

9. TopTop #9
    decterlove

So here's a Safeway joke that actually IS FUNNY! (i think...i hope...betteranlorriesjokeanyway.....)

Arty is a hit man who's just sick of killin'. He's the very best at it but he decides one day to go to his Boss and tell him he wants to retire.

His Boss says "Okay, you've been the best, you've done a lot of work for me, I'll let you retire if you do one more job for me. I need to get this one guy off my back and outa my face forever. Here's his pic, here's where he works...you kill him and you're out, no problem."

Arty says, "Well okay, but I don't want any money for it...I just want to get out of this sick f*cking business forever and be done with it!

His Boss says, "Here Arty, just take a dollar as a token of my appreciation for all the good work you've done for me over the years. Here, take it!"

So Arty takes the bill and stuffs it into his pocket and promises the Boss he'll get the job done right away this afternoon, and he follows the intended victim around after work, looking for the best opportunity to do his evil deed and after 45 minutes of driving around, the guy finally pulls into Safeway and Arty thinks to himself, "I gotta get this done so I can go home and watch Fox news at 6 o clock."

So Arty pulls in next to the guy, gets outa his car and sneaks up behind him. He chokes him out, "Arrrrrgh!" and throws him into the trunk of his sedan, quickly shuts the trunk but the guys shoe gets in the way and he has to push it back in and shut it again.

He thinks to himself, "Well, that wasn't too bad. I'm DONE! I'm OUTA HERE!" Then he looks over to his right and sees an old lady sitting in a car right next to him and realizes she's seen the whole thing!

So Arty's whining internally to his better half..."Omigod, I've never KILLED an old lady in my entire life, BUT SHE'S SEEN THE WHOLE THING! WhatdafuckdoIdonow! So he drags her outa her car, kills her and throws her in the trunk with the dead guy.

Then he runs around to jump in the driver's seat and there's this little kid standing there who's been watching the whole time too!!!!!

Arty's horrified and he's thinking, "Omigod, I've never killed a little kid in my whole life BUT he's seen THE WHOLE THING!!! What do I do!!!! I can't get caught now! I'll go to prison for the rest of my life and....

So Arty kills the little kid, throws him in the trunk with the dead guy and the whole lady, and suddenly a Police car rolls up, arrests him and takes him to the police station and books him.

Next day, the headline of the local newspaper READS?????

ARTY CHOKES 3 FOR A DOLLAR AT SAFEWAY!!
    Last edited by decterlove; 02-12-2009 at 08:29 PM.

10. TopTop #10
    Lorrie

First of all Dector, this thread was never supposed to be a joke....sigh...

All I can say about your "Safeway Joke" is...

Hardy..Har..Harrrrrrr...

LOL

11. TopTop #11
    Hot Compost

First of all Dector, this thread was never supposed to be a joke....sigh...

All I can say about your "Safeway Joke" is...

Hardy..Har..Harrrrrrr...

is there a farmer's market in Guerneville ?

in the early 90's i went to the Farmer's Market in SF. good prices on everything. i have a feeling it's good for the farmers too because they can charge higher prices than they would get if they were selling to retailers.

12. TopTop #12
    Lorrie

Not that I know of...On the weekends there is a Flea Market...

in the early 90's i went to the Farmer's Market in SF. good prices on everything. i have a feeling it's good for the farmers too because they can charge higher prices than they would get if they were selling to retailers.

13. TopTop #13
    babaruss

Safeway produce is never real good, but in a pinch I buy there.
    Usually I only buy what is on sale. Last week it was red peppers $1.00 per LB.
    Avocados were slightly bruised and were going for $.25 each just to clear them out... I brought home 10 and have one left.
    If you do not embarrass easily there there are several food banks in Guerneville area which many times have some fresh fruit.
    Also on Tuesdays (I'm thinking Tues) between 11:00 and 12:00, across from what used to be Fifes at the park and ride free produce is distributed.
    Probably messes with your work schedule to do any of this.
    Being an omnivore I have many more food options than many on this list.
    A call to West County Community Center (Guerneville) could get you more info about food being offered free, or cheaper than what you pay at Safeway.
    Hope I was in some way helpful.
    Pissing away precious dollars on mediocre food really is no joke.
    Russ

14. TopTop #14
    ChristineL

A couple of members of the Chamber are trying to bring one back here. We had one for a couple of years in recent times, but the one person who was in charge of arranging it couldn't do it any more. Volunteers are needed to help with this. If you're interested, call the Guerneville Chamber of Commerce. The person you want to leave a message for is Scottie. She really wants to bring a Farmer's Market to Guerneville, but can't so the job alone.