Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    cocreator

Car broken into outside Ragle Park

Hi Community,

I've had my car broken into a few times in the past, but never in Sebastopol. This is shocking. I was walking in Ragle Park late this afternoon (around 4:30 pm), as I do most days, and returned to my vehicle after about half an hour (still light out) to find the passenger window broken in and what the thief thought was my purse, missing. But the joke's on him/her: he got my personal care case! So, while it will still cost probably more than the auto glass (which my insurance does not cover) to replace all my personal care items, I am thankful the thief did not get my actual purse or wallet.

However, I am now reluctant to ever park there again. Thinking about it, I recall that I have seen glass in the gutter in that exact location several times (on Covert Lane, just a block up from the entrance to Ragle). I even mentioned it to the rangers once, to call to have it swept up. Now I think I know how that glass got there. Tonight it was my turn.

I realize it's not a big deal in the grander scheme ~ and on my own journey, I've lost so much more ~ literally everything, over time. It's just that financially, this time, I really do not have the money to replace the window, let alone all my own stuff. It's kind of a cruel irony that I wasn't even planning to shop at all of the great sales and festivals this year due to lack of funds.

So, dear ones: keep your wits about you and be cautious parking near Ragle Park. And while I don't expect to see my little red canvas tote again, should you come across something like that holding facial cremes and toothbrushing items, please let me know!

Blessings to all,
    Amara
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    anthemisblue

Re: Car broken into outside Ragle Park

I'm so sorry to hear that! I pray you can come into the abundance you need to replace your items and more. I also want to express my gratitude for posting this message since I just moved into the area and I have been parking there to walk in Ragle Park. I'll be more careful next time.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by cocreator: View Post
    Hi Community,

I've had my car broken into a few times in the past, but never in Sebastopol. This is shocking. I was walking in Ragle Park late this afternoon (around 4:30 pm), as I do most days, and returned to my vehicle after about half an hour (still light out) to find the passenger window broken in and what the thief thought was my purse, missing. But the joke's on him/her: he got my personal care case! So, while it will still cost probably more than the auto glass (which my insurance does not cover) to replace all my personal care items, I am thankful the thief did not get my actual purse or wallet.

However, I am now reluctant to ever park there again. Thinking about it, I recall that I have seen glass in the gutter in that exact location several times (on Covert Lane, just a block up from the entrance to Ragle). I even mentioned it to the rangers once, to call to have it swept up. Now I think I know how that glass got there. Tonight it was my turn.

I realize it's not a big deal in the grander scheme ~ and on my own journey, I've lost so much more ~ literally everything, over time. It's just that financially, this time, I really do not have the money to replace the window, let alone all my own stuff. It's kind of a cruel irony that I wasn't even planning to shop at all of the great sales and festivals this year due to lack of funds.

So, dear ones: keep your wits about you and be cautious parking near Ragle Park. And while I don't expect to see my little red canvas tote again, should you come across something like that holding facial cremes and toothbrushing items, please let me know!

Blessings to all,
    Amara

3. TopTop #3
    Sylph

Yes, thanks Amara. I would not have worried at all about parking there. So sad that this happened to you.

4. TopTop #4
    pagan

I run regularly from Langermans gym at the corner of Ragle and Bodega to Covert and down through town and have noticed a continuous stream of broken glass on Ragle and Covert down to the corner of Pleasant Hill. Over the course of the entire summer, the glass is cleaned up or dispersed and new broken glass appears constantly.

Is the Sebastopol police aware of this?

I wanted to suggest they put notices on windshields advising of a present danger. I know that amounts to a tacit admission that there is no public safety services but that fact is too obvious at this point. Or at least it's obvious to the victims and locals but not to the next target.

I also suggest not only leaving nothing in sight but also not locking the car at all. They don't want your car; they want your wallet. Unfortunately, the window is just road kill. But I'm assuming they would even try the door before breaking the glass. They're in a real hurry.

pagan

Quote Posted in reply to the post by cocreator: View Post
    Hi Community,

Blessings to all,
    Amara

5. TopTop #5
    cocreator

Thanks so much to everyone who replied, publicly and privately. I appreciate the support. Apparently our friendly little town is not as safe as it used to be: my hairdresser told me that her car was broken into and her (hidden) purse stolen, right from the parking lot of Langerman's Health Club, in broad daylight (this happened last spring). And someone else said his home in the area had recently been burglarized. I suppose we just need to love those coming from such desperation into a greater sense of security and plenty; they are acting out the fear shadow in all of us.

Blessings,
    Amara

6. TopTop #6
    constantconnection

I would like to point out that there was a thread only a couple of months ago about a police officer who, at the exact same Ragle/Covert corner, had been pulling over drivers for allegedly having "run" the stop sign that they did not "run" and harassing them for having done so -- likewise at the intersection of Covert/Pleasant Hill one block up. This is also the same intersection where about one block further down Ragle Rd. I saw a drug sale being transacted between the occupants of two cars, one with three or four teenagers onboard.

This is something to be taken very seriously. A cop harassing law abiding citizens at the same intersection where cars are regularly being broken into and at least one observed drug deal was going down. Much as I believe in Karma, I don't think that this is a case best left for the Karma police to rectify. I think the Sebastopol police better start admitting at least to themselves that there is a very serious problem here that they need to take immediate and forceful action to resolve or the town is going to go rapidly and perhaps unremediably under.