Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    JohnK

Who Will Efren Carrillo Turn his Back On?

As a Sonoma County planning commissioner, Rue Furch has been leading the environmental struggle for 16 years, in developing the general plan, in advocating for studies of the water supply, for keeping Santa Rosa’s waste out of the Russian River, and much more. She is a dedicated and wise defender of our county.

But in Sonoma County elections, every candidate, including Efren Carrillo, pretends to be an environmentalist. How can we distinguish the true from the false?

The vast sums of developer monies supporting Efren Carrillo raise real questions about Carrillo's intentions and ultimate loyalty should he be elected to the Board of Supervisors. The major local consultant for the “Preservation Ranch” development project, which comes before the Board of Supervisors, recruited Carrillo to run, and is now a very close consultant and advisor to Carrillo.

Should we believe that with millions of dollars of development money at stake for the logging of 17000 acres of coastal forest and 90 new Mc Mansions, that Carrillo will turn his back on his political mentor and the twenties of thousands of dollars the developers provide for him to run? No.

Carrillo can’t count on his record (he has none) and hundreds of small supporters the way Rue Furch can. For campaign funds Carrillo has mostly the developers, loggers, Russian River gravel miners, and industrial agriculture.

When Carrillo spoke at Sea Ranch a few days ago, he drove there with the lobbyist for the Syar Corporation. Syar is the gravel mining operation that is mining the Russian River. Syar just had its permit renewed by the Board of Supervisors, but a new Board may challenge their continued mining. Is it believable that the Syar lobbyist has coincidentally developed a new friendship with Carrillo and wants to drive him around to political events? No.

Is it believable that Carrillo will turn against his new friends if he is deciding their issues on the Board of Supervisors? No.

Thursday afternoon Carrillo was wooing voters at the Chamber of Commerce event on the square in Sebastopol. Who was there handling him? The Syar lobbyist and the ‘Preservation’ Ranch lawyer.

We all know that Carrillo’s (and Sharon Wright’s) supporters on the Board of Supervisors just voted in the middle of the election campaign to increase the allowed campaign contributions to $5000 so that the few well-heeled river miners, developers, and loggers can pour more money into Carrillo’s and Wright’s campaigns. They are desperately fearful that they will lose control of the Board of Supervisors!

Nobody believes that Wright is an environmentalist! Why are her developer supporters pouring money into Carrillo? Because they believe Carrillo is their best chance to maintain control of the Supervisors!

The bottom line; “Who will Carrillo turn his back on if he is elected to the Board of Supervisors; his gravel-mining, developer, well-heeled supporters, or us, the West County public?”

That’s why we should vote for Rue Furch, who has an environmental record and is supported by Sonoma County Conservation Action, the Sierra Club, the United Farm Workers, and the Latino Democratic Club.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Eric K

Re: Who Will Efren Carrillo Turn his Back On?

Hello JohnK...how are you professor?

I just read your post and will look forward to answering more later when I have more time. There are alot of wild assertions in your comments which need some fact checking, this will be fun.

In the meantime I did want to provide you and other readers with a bit of pithy factual info taken from several filings made on a form titled LATE INDEPENDENT EXPENDITURE REPORT - California Form 496. These documents are on file in the Sonoma County Elections Office.

Between October 2 and October 9, 2008 (just during the past few days), these documents disclose the following spending on behalf of Rue Furch in the 5th District race for the Board of Sups. (Some of this money went to the "hit piece" others have mentioned).

10/2/08 mailer $11,747.52
    10/2/08 mailer $17,410.87
    10/6/08 mailer $2,831.68
    10/6/08 mailer $11,326.71
    10/8/08 "field program" $6,650.00

The total amount of money pumped into Rue's effort in this 7 day period is $49,966.76. None of this money is subject to the local contribution limits.

This is nearly as much money as Efren spent in the entire primary campaign ending in June (I think it was about $55,000).
    According to the Press Democrat (10/8/08) since the June primary Efren has raised $56,548 while Rue has raised $56,915. The $49,966.76 is in addition to Rue's $56,915.

So, as our good friend Ernie Carpenter likes to say...follow the money!

3. Gratitude expressed by:

4. TopTop #3
    maryr45

bye

5. TopTop #4
    Zeno Swijtink

Quote Posted in reply to the post by EricK: View Post
    There are alot of wild assertions in your comments which need some fact checking, this will be fun.
    Eric,

Since you say in your profile that you are Eric Koenigshofer, and Eric Koenigshofer is the consultant referred to in the statement of John Kramer (Political Science Professor and Co-founder of KRCB ) that

Quote "the major local consultant for the “Preservation Ranch” development project, which comes before the Board of Supervisors, recruited Carrillo to run, and is now a very close consultant and advisor to Carrillo,"
    I wonder why you need time to check this fact.

A simple affirmation or denial will do.

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #5
    elienos

He will turn his back on US! The city of Petaluma and South Sonoma County. Hope your Dutra Honeymoon is a good one.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by JohnK: View Post
    As a Sonoma County planning commissioner, Rue Furch has been leading the environmental struggle for 16 years, in developing the general plan, in advocating for studies of the water supply, for keeping Santa Rosa’s waste out of the Russian River, and much more. She is a dedicated and wise defender of our county.

But in Sonoma County elections, every candidate, including Efren Carrillo, pretends to be an environmentalist. How can we distinguish the true from the false?

The vast sums of developer monies supporting Efren Carrillo raise real questions about Carrillo's intentions and ultimate loyalty should he be elected to the Board of Supervisors. The major local consultant for the “Preservation Ranch” development project, which comes before the Board of Supervisors, recruited Carrillo to run, and is now a very close consultant and advisor to Carrillo.

Should we believe that with millions of dollars of development money at stake for the logging of 17000 acres of coastal forest and 90 new Mc Mansions, that Carrillo will turn his back on his political mentor and the twenties of thousands of dollars the developers provide for him to run? No.

Carrillo can’t count on his record (he has none) and hundreds of small supporters the way Rue Furch can. For campaign funds Carrillo has mostly the developers, loggers, Russian River gravel miners, and industrial agriculture.

When Carrillo spoke at Sea Ranch a few days ago, he drove there with the lobbyist for the Syar Corporation. Syar is the gravel mining operation that is mining the Russian River. Syar just had its permit renewed by the Board of Supervisors, but a new Board may challenge their continued mining. Is it believable that the Syar lobbyist has coincidentally developed a new friendship with Carrillo and wants to drive him around to political events? No.

Is it believable that Carrillo will turn against his new friends if he is deciding their issues on the Board of Supervisors? No.

Thursday afternoon Carrillo was wooing voters at the Chamber of Commerce event on the square in Sebastopol. Who was there handling him? The Syar lobbyist and the ‘Preservation’ Ranch lawyer.

We all know that Carrillo’s (and Sharon Wright’s) supporters on the Board of Supervisors just voted in the middle of the election campaign to increase the allowed campaign contributions to $5000 so that the few well-heeled river miners, developers, and loggers can pour more money into Carrillo’s and Wright’s campaigns. They are desperately fearful that they will lose control of the Board of Supervisors!

Nobody believes that Wright is an environmentalist! Why are her developer supporters pouring money into Carrillo? Because they believe Carrillo is their best chance to maintain control of the Supervisors!

The bottom line; “Who will Carrillo turn his back on if he is elected to the Board of Supervisors; his gravel-mining, developer, well-heeled supporters, or us, the West County public?”

That’s why we should vote for Rue Furch, who has an environmental record and is supported by Sonoma County Conservation Action, the Sierra Club, the United Farm Workers, and the Latino Democratic Club.

8. Gratitude expressed by:

9. TopTop #6
    Loel

Quote Posted in reply to the post by elienos: View Post
    He will turn his back on US! The city of Petaluma and South Sonoma County. Hope your Dutra Honeymoon is a good one.
    Efren Carrillo is a classic example of a political puppet: too inexperienced, too immature to have any insights into the common good of the people and of our environment. What a shame, that we have this obviously unenlightened, uneducated kid in power here, and calling himself an environmentalist?! His brash egotism combined with a complete lack of understanding of ecology will continue to harm our beautiful land and natural resources as long as he is in office. Please, let us vote this him out a.s.a.p., and get a mature and educated adult in there!!

10. TopTop #7
    Oriental Rose

Don't know if you heard about the tasting/events room off Myers Grade, (just 17 feet off of the protected coastal area) that all of the board of sups voted for unanimously!! But hey if your lawyer is Doug Bosco......the whole hearing seemed very predetermined to me and I wasn't part of any of the groups. Traffic, no impact, 800 gallons of water in July? and December, fine, neighbors who are not in favor, no problem, driving the grapes to Santa Rosa and driving the wine back, no impact. The owner even had the gall to say he was a good steward of the land. If you kill everything else to put in grapes, I don't think that's being a good steward to the land (my opinion). Anyway there is no support for people who are against tasting rooms or grapes, which I found surprising. Wake up! My position is not represented by anyone on the current board and we all know how vital more grapes and tasting rooms are to our area and especially on the coast.

11. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

12. TopTop #8
    boB Phelps

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Loel: View Post
    Efren Carrillo is a classic example of a political puppet: too inexperienced, too immature to have any insights into the common good of the people and of our environment. What a shame, that we have this obviously unenlightened, uneducated kid in power here, and calling himself an environmentalist?! His brash egotism combined with a complete lack of understanding of ecology will continue to harm our beautiful land and natural resources as long as he is in office. Please, let us vote this him out a.s.a.p., and get a mature and educated adult in there!!
    Effren Herrera is actually not as immature as you might think. The reality is that he's a political climber. Obviously not an environmentalist, he's shown himself to support aggressive growth and development, along with a failure to respond to the wishes of his constituents. Shortly following his vote on the new winery on Hwy 116, in Sebastopol. I emailed him, asking where his priorities stood, support for the wishes of his constituents or continuing compromises to suit his needs and political ambitions. The response, from a staff member, very terse, indicated that Mr. Herrera would shortly be responding to my query. Never happened. Mr. Herrera's roots may have been humble, but his ambitions are not.

13. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

14. TopTop #9
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

I just posted about this in response to the comment about his Dutra vote (above): this is in my neighborhood, and I had emailed Carrillo before the vote about the impact just on the road conditions; no answer, and seemingly no effect on the vote. I also emailed him about my disappointment after the vote on this; also no response. Not what I expected from him, and not what I want from my supervisor.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Oriental Rose: View Post
    Don't know if you heard about the tasting/events room off Myers Grade, (just 17 feet off of the protected coastal area) that all of the board of sups voted for unanimously!! But hey if your lawyer is Doug Bosco......the whole hearing seemed very predetermined to me and I wasn't part of any of the groups. Traffic, no impact, 800 gallons of water in July? and December, fine, neighbors who are not in favor, no problem, driving the grapes to Santa Rosa and driving the wine back, no impact. The owner even had the gall to say he was a good steward of the land. If you kill everything else to put in grapes, I don't think that's being a good steward to the land (my opinion). Anyway there is no support for people who are against tasting rooms or grapes, which I found surprising. Wake up! My position is not represented by anyone on the current board and we all know how vital more grapes and tasting rooms are to our area and especially on the coast.

15. TopTop #10
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Let's not confuse people here; the name is Carrillo. Let's vote him out!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by boB Phelps: View Post
    Effren Herrera is actually not as immature as you might think. The reality is that he's a political climber. Obviously not an environmentalist, he's shown himself to support aggressive growth and development, along with a failure to respond to the wishes of his constituents. Shortly following his vote on the new winery on Hwy 116, in Sebastopol. I emailed him, asking where his priorities stood, support for the wishes of his constituents or continuing compromises to suit his needs and political ambitions. The response, from a staff member, very terse, indicated that Mr. Herrera would shortly be responding to my query. Never happened. Mr. Herrera's roots may have been humble, but his ambitions are not.

16. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

17. TopTop #11
    meherc
    Supporting member

Yikes, that's more than a tad nasty, I thought we fair fighters don't call namesl.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Loel: View Post
    Marilyn Meshak Herczog, EA