Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Questions for the Sebastopol City Council Candidates?

WaccoBB.net is proud to be one of the sponsors for the only public forum for the 4 candidates for the Sebastopol City Council. It will take place this Sunday, Oct 5, at the Sebastopol Community Center from 6-9pm. Click on the banner above for more info.

Do you have a question that you would like to have asked at the debate?

I will be collecting the questions raised on this thread and I will submit them to the moderator of the debate for consideration.

Please post your question here as a public reply. I'll allow some discussion here, but let's try to keep it focused on generating questions for the candidates.

Last edited by Barry; 09-30-2008 at 07:42 PM.

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    WaccoBB Poet Laureate

Re: Questions for the Sebastopol City Council Candidates?

I hope that you will ask the candidates how they plan to address the City's declining revenues and what they see as our economic future in both the long term and the short term.

Another question I would suggest is how they see Sebastopol accommodating the population growth we anticipate over the next 20 years.

3. TopTop #3
    Zen Ben

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post

WaccoBB.net is proud to be one of the sponsors for the only public forum for the 4 candidates for the Sebastopol City Council. It will take place this Sunday, Oct 5, at the Sebastopol Community Center from 6-9pm. Click on the banner above for more info.

I will be collecting the questions raised on this thread and I will submit them to the moderator of the debate for consideration.

Please post your question here as a public reply. I'll allow some discussion here, but let's try to keep it focused on generating questions for the candidates.

There are two questions that are live issues that will come before the Sebastopol City Council and the Board of Supervisors in the next year. Since the city of Sebastopol has already passed a Living Wage Ordinance in 2003, the Living Wage question would be directed only at the 5th district BOS candidates.

*County of Sonoma 5th Supervisorial Districts

1) Three cities in Sonoma County including Sebastopol, Sonoma, and Petaluma have passed living wage ordinances. Do you support a Living Wage Ordinance for the County of Sonoma that would require the county, county contractors, and recipients of economic development assistance from the county, to pay their workers a living wage and benefits? The county ordinance would cover 3000 in home support service/homecare workers.

*County of Sonoma 5th Supervisorial Districts
    *City Council candidates

2) The City of Petaluma is now considering a so-called "Community Impact Report" (CIR) requirement for any large retail, hotel, or grocery over 25,000 sq. feet. Such a report would assess the fiscal and economic impacts of a project including new tax revenue, impacts on local business, the quality of jobs created including wages and benefits, the impacts on affordable housing, public costs such as police and fire, emergency room services, and other subsidized health care costs. Do you support such a community impact report for proposed large commercial developments in the County of Sonoma (or City of Sebastopol, etc.) as part of the planning and approvals process?

4. TopTop #4
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

I will be out of town, so I hope you'll post the results on here later.

I would love to know just where each candidate is getting the majority of their campaign donations, and if they are putting the County infrastructure high on their "to-do" lists. Specifically the maintenance of roads throughout the district.

Sara S.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post

5. TopTop #5
    tommy

I'd like to know where the Candidates stand on the Northeast Plan, and the underlying issues of water resources, traffic, and revenue - increased revenue seems to be the reason some current Council Members support the Plan.

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #6
    shellebelle

I agree with Tommy -

Specifically I'd like to know where Kathleen Shaffer stands "officially" on the NE Plan, depending on who I hear from her position seems to match their own. She seems to have told many people that she strongly supports the Plan, and yet many of her supporters are ardent NE Plan opponents.

Specifically from Guy Wilson, who belongs to the Preservation Coalition Group who has posted many times on Waccobb that they want 1. To turn the NE Area back into wetlands. 2. To turn it into a year round farmers market. 3. To turn the property into a community farm with giant solar towers. How does Guy (and his supporters) intend to come up with the money to purchase the land from the property owners, given that the City doesn't own it? If he's not proposing that the City buy the property, then are they proposing that the City "take" (aka eminent domain) the land from the property owners? The NE Area is already developed and it is zoned for redevelopment already. How does Guy propose to change what is already an allowable land use into something else and how will that benefit the City or the property owners? What is the costs associated with any of these plans - economically, culturally, sustainability, quality of life and beyond and how does he plan to fund any of his proposed/backed plans?

8. Gratitude expressed by:

9. TopTop #7
    RichT

The current general plan calls for traffic flow to meet Level of Service standards. If new projects generate traffic that will cause LOS to fall below acceptable levels, the project cannot move forward. Most of the traffic along the major arterial routes through Sebastopol is from non-local traffic moving through town, not by local residents. Is it reasonable to use LOS to deny redevelopment on blighted properties when the main forces impacting congestion on our main arterial streets are outside City control?

10. Gratitude expressed by: