Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    AVL

Want a part-time dog in your life?

Hi all, I am testing out an idea here. My family and I are interested in adding a dog to our household, but are pausing at the part about how often the dog cannot join our activities (out-of-town weekends or vacations, or the odd weekday when she/he can't be with us ). I know there are lots of dog lovers out there who do not want the primary responsibility of a dog, but who might welcome a dog on those occasions. It would be so much better for the dog to have such a second home instead of being put in a kennel or be at home with only pet-sitting visitors. Anyone interested in discussing this? We are considering a small dog with hair (instead of fur), due to potential allergic reactions.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    hdawn13

Re: Want a part-time dog in your life?

Hi I live in Guerneville and would like a pet but I am gone sometimes so your idea might work well.

Where do you live?

Problem is I am partial to lopsa opsa or something similar as far as small dogs go. I love to walk too. The tiny lap dogs are out.

3. TopTop #3
    starchild

i have been wanting a small dog or cat for years but my travelling lifestyle has deemed it cruel. Having just moved to the area and decided to settle down for a while this option sounds like a nice way to ease a pet into my life...what type are you thinking of? I love mutts!!

4. TopTop #4
    bludogger

Please be careful if pondering a Lhasa Apso as they can be stubborn, child hating and some will bite. Male or Female. Watch the personality of their parents! They are protective and that is OK, but it can border on aggressive.
    They are cute and lovable but they can have issues like ear infections and need the ear hair plucked out.
    Good Luck!!
    2 time Lhassa owner.

5. TopTop #5
    socrates

As an animal lover and shelter volunteer, I feel I need to throw something out there. Sounds like a cool idea, especially if it means one less homeless pet. But please make sure you all agree on how to treat and discipline the dog, or he/ she will become a confused behavioral nightmare! I've volunteered at several shelters and worked with many dogs, and currently working with an abused collie/ lab mix. I know a dog like mine would never do well in that type of situation, so you should consult the shelter if adopting to be sure you get one with temperament for that type of arrangement. Please consider all owners doing an obedience training with the dog so he/ she realizes who is in charge, and so the owner(s) know how to get the desired response/ behavior from the pooch. Dogs are usually quite loyal to their primary household, so in order to make sure the dog isn't stressed and confused, I hope you will consider all the implications before going ahead with your plan. Good luck!!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by AVL: View Post
    Hi all, I am testing out an idea here. My family and I are interested in adding a dog to our household, but are pausing at the part about how often the dog cannot join our activities (out-of-town weekends or vacations, or the odd weekday when she/he can't be with us ). I know there are lots of dog lovers out there who do not want the primary responsibility of a dog, but who might welcome a dog on those occasions. It would be so much better for the dog to have such a second home instead of being put in a kennel or be at home with only pet-sitting visitors. Anyone interested in discussing this? We are considering a small dog with hair (instead of fur), due to potential allergic reactions.