Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    katkatf

Looking for a chicken mentor

My husband and I recently bought a house on an acre in Petaluma. I want to keep a few (3-4) chickens for eggs, and have been reading books from the library on the subject. Well, I'm overwhelmed on where to start and there are many choices in some areas. How big and how to build the chicken house and coop. Bedding, where to buy, etc, etc, etc.

Is there anyone out there that would be interested in mentoring me in getting started with chickens? I'd be happy to repay you with eggs, or ?

Thanks,
    Kathy
    789-9650
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Moon

Re: Looking for a chicken mentor

Wow, i had a pet hen once, but i don't know
    whether i feel equal to mentoring one. The best thing
    i can think of is to go to a feed store a few times and when you feel
    comfortable with someone there, ask them for advice.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by katkatf: View Post
    My husband and I recently bought a house on an acre in Petaluma. I want to keep a few (3-4) chickens for eggs, and have been reading books from the library on the subject. Well, I'm overwhelmed on where to start and there are many choices in some areas. How big and how to build the chicken house and coop. Bedding, where to buy, etc, etc, etc.

Is there anyone out there that would be interested in mentoring me in getting started with chickens? I'd be happy to repay you with eggs, or ?

Thanks,
    Kathy
    789-9650

3. TopTop #3
    hvnagdx

Re: Looking for a chicken mentor

Hi Kathy,

Chickens In Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide by Rick Luttmann and Gail Luttmann is a wonderful book written by a couple from Sonoma County. It is full of information, terminology and humor on raising chickens. You might be able to find it at local feed store or used book store. They can also be ordered on line.

Any number of feed stores should be able to supply you with whatever you need!

Dianna