Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Mike Peterson

Laptop advice needed

I'm going to buy a new laptop and I need some advice from this community. I plan on spending approximately $1,500 on the machine and have Linux (Edubuntu) installed for its operating system.

One website that I'm impressed with for possibly buying my new computer is "Zareason" (https://www.zareason.com/shop/home.php). Does anyone have any strong recommendations of specialized companies that build computers to your specs? I would like to do a little bit of comparison shopping before I plop this cash down and avoid getting something I'm not happy with.

Also, I'm probably going to avoid Microsoft's crappy software and use OpenOffice or NeoOffice for an office suite. Any suggestions?

Here are the basic specs (which I will upgrade through my order) of the one machine that I like most:

UltraLapSR:

The next generation of laptop technology, built on the latest Intel Santa Rosa chipset. Cool running, speed when you need it, and great battery life.
    Now available in either a black or white case.
    Specs:
    • Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 800 MHz Front Side Bus
    • 13.3" LCD display @ 1280x800 pixels
    • Nvidia Geforce 8400m dedicated video with 256 MB ram
    • Intel WiFi included for easy wireless connectivity
    • Integrated Bluetooth
    • Gigabit Ethernet port for whenever you aren't near a WiFi access point -- this machine travels extremely well
    • Stereo speakers on the front of the system for quality sound output
    • Headphone jack + microphone jack
    • Combo CD-RW and dual layer DVD-RW drive
    • 3 USB ports
    • Firewire port for high speed data transfer
    • eSATA port for external hard drive expansion
    • 15 pin VGA monitor port
    • SD memory card slot -- download photos, movies, music from your phone, your camera, anything with an SD card
    • Your choice of Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu, or Ubuntu Studio
    • 2 hours battery life (with included 6-cell battery)
    • dimensions 12 5/8" x 10" x 1 1/2"
    • ultra-light 4.8 pounds (with included 6-cell battery)
    Particularly cool feature: Suspend and Hibernate work on both the white and the black. Feel free to suspend and hibernate to your heart's content.

17%

Details

Price: $999.00

Options

Case
    Processor
    Memory
    SATA Hard Drive
    Networking
    Extra Input Devices
    Operating System
    Main Battery
    Spare Battery
    Power Adapters
    Warranty
    Quantity

Thanks,

Mike
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Braggi

Re: Laptop advice needed

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Mike Peterson: View Post
    [FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]I'm going to buy a new laptop and I need some advice from this community. I plan on spending approximately $1,500 on the machine and have Linux (Edubuntu) installed for its operating system. ...
    As far as quality of manufacturing, customer service, customer satisfaction, nobody can beat Apple. Just wondering if you have a particular reason for not wanting an Apple machine.

I haven't used Microsoft products on my Macs for the last ten years or so.

Check out specs of the latest MacBook: https://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html

Here are some upgraded models with prices from ClubMac:
    https://www.clubmac.com/clubmac/families/macbook/

And then there's the pricey but really, really nice Macbook Pro:
    https://www.clubmac.com/clubmac/families/macbookpro/

Actually, going with the lowest end Macbook Pro configuration would give you just about everything you want in the way of features and ability to run Unix variants and you'd have a truly amazing and beautiful computer.

I suggest you leave your credit card at home and go visit an Apple Store. You might just be blown away.

No, I don't work for Apple but I've been a Macintosh bigot since 1984.

-Jeff

3. TopTop #3
    Lenny

Mike, I am wondering if there are specific applications that you will be using for this machine, or will it be a generic replacement for an all purpose desktop? The reason being is that you are getting a nice video card and if you are playing games in a moderate fashion then that card should kick it well. If you are not a game player then you don't need such a powerful card. If you are primarily running databases, then one gig of memory coupled with that processor should be moved to two gigs. Will you be utilizing the 64 bit architecture of the dual core? If you are "doing" art work, either music, photo, or other visuals, then a Mac is strong and great for such, as Jeff pointed out. Your O/S is also an excellent choice, but be advised that they come out with updates often, so a fast connection will be important.
    Oh, and Dell makes a good product as well but you have to really be on their case about having NOTHING put on the hard drive. I'll check out your Zareason site.
    Let us know....

4. TopTop #4
    Mike Peterson

The laptop will be for general purpose use.

I'm eager to see how you evaluate the Zareason website. I'm also curious to know if you have any other personal preferences on sources for good machines besides Dell. I have some issues with Dell as well but it's not onerous; I just prefer to stay away from them and go to small businesses like local shops such as 'Computers and More' and the like. Zareason fits this criteria and they specialize in Linux as an OS for their computers. Buying local and small enterprise are among my criteria, as well as others but I don't want to belabor the point. (What's your opinion of Gateway, for example?)

I do plan on boosting both the chip and the RAM to 2 gigs each, minimum, probably more. But those specs start to kick up the price pretty steeply. What would be the advantage if I sacrificed the video card? Also, if I'm not being ignorant about this, Zareason's machines are compatible with both Bluetooth AND WiFi! Which is very cool and versatile. I can be in almost any location and get a connection because their laptop will automatically piggyback on someone else's connection, whether it's a cafe or a business, or a residential signal.

I'm not especially concerned with the 64 bit architecture of the dual core. I'm not THAT geeky and I'm confident enough in Zareason's equipment that I will get what I need for my basic computer uses. What I want is power (processor and RAM), versatility (go anywhere and have connectivity), and the simple applications available in a good quality office suite, such as (gulp) Ms Office. But since I'm trying my best to boycott Microsoft, I seek good alternatives such as OpenOffice and NeoOffice. Do you have any personal favorites?

I use Firefox for a browser and I use my ISP's webmail (Sabernet, out of Mendocino) as my email program. I hate using email programs on my computer; they always crap out on you sooner or later either because of a virus or file corruption, maybe an incompatibility, etc, etc. I'm sick and tired of the unpleasant surprises and I've used Firebird (Mozilla, same people as Firefox), Ms Outlook, etc, and they all belly-up sooner or later. I don't mind going through the extra trouble of logging into my ISP to check my email every time; it's best in the long run and I don't have to hassle it with any of those and other problems.

Yes, Apple makes damn good products and I have a Mac laptop, with which I'm very happy. However, it's my strong personal preference to stay versatile and use a really cool OS such as Linux, etc. I am even using Windows to write this email on our PC workstation at home.

Thanks and please get back to me as soon as you get a chance.

Mike

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Lenny: View Post
    Mike, I am wondering if there are specific applications that you will be using for this machine, or will it be a generic replacement for an all purpose desktop? The reason being is that you are getting a nice video card and if you are playing games in a moderate fashion then that card should kick it well. If you are not a game player then you don't need such a powerful card. If you are primarily running databases, then one gig of memory coupled with that processor should be moved to two gigs. Will you be utilizing the 64 bit architecture of the dual core? If you are "doing" art work, either music, photo, or other visuals, then a Mac is strong and great for such, as Jeff pointed out. Your O/S is also an excellent choice, but be advised that they come out with updates often, so a fast connection will be important.
    Oh, and Dell makes a good product as well but you have to really be on their case about having NOTHING put on the hard drive. I'll check out your Zareason site.
    Let us know....

5. TopTop #5
    Mike Peterson

I have a MacBook and I'm very happy with it. But as I explained to Lenny in the previous post, I have a strong personal preference to be versatile in the computer hardware and software that I use. I know Windows and Apple like the back of my hand but I need to expand my horizons to include Linux (a Unix based OS, basically a small version of Unix). Linux is a very powerful OS and has the ability to do many things that Windows and Apple cannot. One of these many advantages is the ability to setup a network of, let's say, ten computers easily. Also, Linux is open source, which means that you can program the OS to suit your personal needs. You can't do that with either Windoze or Apple products. There is also an important element of community with open source software, which is nice because you always have a huge number of qualified people eager to help you out and give you the answers you need for all of your Linux questions. That's an infinite amount of free technical support.

I will ALWAYS have an Apple in my arsenal of computer equipment; they're just too damn good not to have. Apple is also (and always has been) the best for multimedia, including watching DVD movies at home and the quality of the image pounds TV screens into the ground.

It's also economical to have Linux because almost all of the software is FREE! If you think about the amount of cash you have to lay down not only for your hardware, but also for all of the software applications as well, oh boy! That is a chunk of change. When we bought our MacBook a year and a half ago, we had a three month trial of Ms Office suite on it and were shitting in our pants as to what we were going to do with all of our documents once it was canceled. People told us that OpenOffice and NeoOffice were available for free and worked great. They were right and we are happy with those free products. They work just as well as Ms Office applications, even if a little different. We are running NeoOffice on our MacBook. With Linux, the OS is free, the office suite is free, and the technical support is free. And you can do lots of cool stuff that you can't with MicroCrap or Apple.

Linux is worth a walk on the wild side ;-D

Mike

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Braggi: View Post
    As far as quality of manufacturing, customer service, customer satisfaction, nobody can beat Apple. Just wondering if you have a particular reason for not wanting an Apple machine.

I haven't used Microsoft products on my Macs for the last ten years or so.

Check out specs of the latest MacBook: https://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html

Here are some upgraded models with prices from ClubMac:
    https://www.clubmac.com/clubmac/families/macbook/

And then there's the pricey but really, really nice Macbook Pro:
    https://www.clubmac.com/clubmac/families/macbookpro/

Actually, going with the lowest end Macbook Pro configuration would give you just about everything you want in the way of features and ability to run Unix variants and you'd have a truly amazing and beautiful computer.

I suggest you leave your credit card at home and go visit an Apple Store. You might just be blown away.

No, I don't work for Apple but I've been a Macintosh bigot since 1984.

-Jeff

6. TopTop #6
    Braggi

I have a MacBook and I'm very happy with it. ...
    Linux is worth a walk on the wild side
    Mike, have you checked out this: https://www.parallels.com/landingpag...FQQCagodAQymPA

You could load it on your MacBook and get your feet wet with Linux for very little money.

-Jeff

7. TopTop #7
    Braggi

... One of these many advantages is the ability to setup a network of, let's say, ten computers easily. ...
    ???? Mike, you've been able to do that with Macintoshes since 1985. Every Mac ever built has networking hardware built in.

The whole notion of peer to peer was popularized by Macintosh.

... One of these many advantages is the ability to setup a network of, let's say, ten computers easily. Also, Linux is open source, which means that you can program the OS to suit your personal needs. You can't do that with either Windoze or Apple products. ...
    But, but , but ... what about this? https://developer.apple.com/opensource/index.html

The Mac OS is open source.

You might already have everything you're hoping to gain.

-Jeff

8. TopTop #8
    Lenny

Mike, since I am spending YOUR money, I don't mind too much!
    But I notice that there is another PC https://www.zareason.com/shop/produc...0&cat=0&page=1
    they sell (excellent site BTW) that gives up that way-cool video chip (gamers love that chip that you are looking at, which is made for most high end games) but you get 17" screen for $100 less. As you are going to use if for general purposes and it were my $ I would go with that one. A larger screen is always a pleasure, and all the other specs are the same. Now you would be SHARING your memory (2 gigs is great) with your video as it is integrated into your mother board. But that ain't no big thing. You might want to ask them if you could play a completely loaded version of DOOM on that machine. Not that you would want to, but they make a linux version and that will give you an idea of how well that system runs. Doom use to be a "benchmark" game to see how well video chips performed. Depending on how much the system slows down when DOOM is fully running (the video has to the render shadows of drops of blood but that may be "turned off", etc). That would save you about $100 which would be plowed into the RAM for two gigs.
    If you are shooting with a camera and wishy to put it into the box then you will need the extra ram, but if you are shooting moving film, consideration of your initial system is in order ALONG with the two gigs of RAM.
    Don't like Gateway, though they make a fine product.
    You might go to
    https://www.pcshopper.com.au/home.php

but I think you have found a good site on your own and it's fairly local. Be advised that you ask a linux related question and some of the answers will be horrendously complex. There is a learning curve that many find steep if not daunting. I like Unbuntu and have that and Open Office on one of my rigs. Never tried that other office, but then they are mostly all the same anyway.
    Go and enjoy and thanks for letting me spend your money. Let us know what you got.

The laptop will be for general purpose use. I'm eager to see how you evaluate the Zareason website. I'm also curious to know if you have any other personal preferences on sources for good machines besides Dell. I have some issues with Dell as well but it's not onerous; I just prefer to stay away from them and go to small businesses like local shops such as 'Computers and More' and the like. Zareason fits this criteria and they specialize in Linux as an OS for their computers. Buying local and small enterprise are among my criteria, as well as others but I don't want to belabor the point. (What's your opinion of Gateway, for example?)

I do plan on boosting both the chip and the RAM to 2 gigs each, minimum, probably more. But those specs start to kick up the price pretty steeply. What would be the advantage if I sacrificed the video card? Also, if I'm not being ignorant about this, Zareason's machines are compatible with both Bluetooth AND WiFi! Which is very cool and versatile. I can be in almost any location and get a connection because their laptop will automatically piggyback on someone else's connection, whether it's a cafe or a business, or a residential signal.

I'm not especially concerned with the 64 bit architecture of the dual core. I'm not THAT geeky and I'm confident enough in Zareason's equipment that I will get what I need for my basic computer uses. What I want is power (processor and RAM), versatility (go anywhere and have connectivity), and the simple applications available in a good quality office suite, such as (gulp) Ms Office. But since I'm trying my best to boycott Microsoft, I seek good alternatives such as OpenOffice and NeoOffice. Do you have any personal favorites?

I use Firefox for a browser and I use my ISP's webmail (Sabernet, out of Mendocino) as my email program. I hate using email programs on my computer; they always crap out on you sooner or later either because of a virus or file corruption, maybe an incompatibility, etc, etc. I'm sick and tired of the unpleasant surprises and I've used Firebird (Mozilla, same people as Firefox), Ms Outlook, etc, and they all belly-up sooner or later. I don't mind going through the extra trouble of logging into my ISP to check my email every time; it's best in the long run and I don't have to hassle it with any of those and other problems.

Yes, Apple makes damn good products and I have a Mac laptop, with which I'm very happy. However, it's my strong personal preference to stay versatile and use a really cool OS such as Linux, etc. I am even using Windows to write this email on our PC workstation at home.

Thanks and please get back to me as soon as you get a chance.

Mike

9. TopTop #9
    Mike Peterson

Jeff, even if I could have everything with my Apple (I have a MacBook) I am still going to get a linux laptop. My purchase is about expanding my horizons as well as getting an excellent alternative to MicroSloth. Furthermore, Linux (quality wise) is superior to Windows, a fact that most people are ignorant of. Microsoft is worried about Linux because, as good software engineers, they are painfully aware of this qualitative advantage. If Linux's public image came out of obscurity, Bill Gates' company (or former company?) would take a nosedive. Linux is used by a large number of people and has many different uses in society. Unix servers are the best for the Internet and many companies ask people if they know how to use Linux or Unix. It is a skill and employment advantage to be able to put your knowledge of this powerful systems on your resume. To know Linux is to know versatility (and Linux is not a nearly nonexistent system, even though many people view it that way or are completely unaware of its actual widespread use and presence). Linux has many practical applications in the real world. It will be another tool under my work and leisure belt. One of my main goals is simply to become adept at using Linux, which for various good reasons is a worthy enough objective unto itself (maybe also Unix someday, which is the 'mother' of Linux).

And I am a faithful Apple follower and that's never going to change. Think of it as polyamory ;-D

Mike

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Braggi: View Post
    ???? Mike, you've been able to do that with Macintoshes since 1985. Every Mac ever built has networking hardware built in.

The whole notion of peer to peer was popularized by Macintosh.

But, but , but ... what about this? https://developer.apple.com/opensource/index.html

The Mac OS is open source.

You might already have everything you're hoping to gain.

-Jeff

10. TopTop #10
    phooph

Sounds like you really want a new toy. Why not put linux on the Mac too:
    https://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/m.../30/linux.html

With Paralells or Fusion you can install all three operating systems and run them all at once on a Mac. (Make sure you have maxed out the RAM)

Jeff, even if I could have everything with my Apple (I have a MacBook) I am still going to get a linux laptop. My purchase is about expanding my horizons as well as getting an excellent alternative to MicroSloth. Furthermore, Linux (quality wise) is superior to Windows, a fact that most people are ignorant of. Microsoft is worried about Linux because, as good software engineers, they are painfully aware of this qualitative advantage. If Linux's public image came out of obscurity, Bill Gates' company (or former company?) would take a nosedive. Linux is used by a large number of people and has many different uses in society. Unix servers are the best for the Internet and many companies ask people if they know how to use Linux or Unix. It is a skill and employment advantage to be able to put your knowledge of this powerful systems on your resume. To know Linux is to know versatility (and Linux is not a nearly nonexistent system, even though many people view it that way or are completely unaware of its actual widespread use and presence). Linux has many practical applications in the real world. It will be another tool under my work and leisure belt. One of my main goals is simply to become adept at using Linux, which for various good reasons is a worthy enough objective unto itself (maybe also Unix someday, which is the 'mother' of Linux).

And I am a faithful Apple follower and that's never going to change. Think of it as polyamory ;-D

Mike

11. TopTop #11
    Lenny

Jeff, even if I could have everything with my Apple (I have a MacBook) I am still going to get a linux laptop. My purchase is about expanding my horizons as well as getting an excellent alternative to MicroSloth. Furthermore, Linux (quality wise) is superior to Windows, a fact that most people are ignorant of. Microsoft is worried about Linux because, as good software engineers, they are painfully aware of this qualitative advantage. If Linux's public image came out of obscurity, Bill Gates' company (or former company?) would take a nosedive. Linux is used by a large number of people and has many different uses in society. Unix servers are the best for the Internet and many companies ask people if they know how to use Linux or Unix. It is a skill and employment advantage to be able to put your knowledge of this powerful systems on your resume. To know Linux is to know versatility (and Linux is not a nearly nonexistent system, even though many people view it that way or are completely unaware of its actual widespread use and presence). Linux has many practical applications in the real world. It will be another tool under my work and leisure belt. One of my main goals is simply to become adept at using Linux, which for various good reasons is a worthy enough objective unto itself (maybe also Unix someday, which is the 'mother' of Linux).And I am a faithful Apple follower and that's never going to change. Think of it as polyamory ;-D
    Mike
    Mike, have you played with linux? Are you comfortable using the command prompt and are willing to learn several, if not scores, of commands? I know Unbuntu has a very nice gui and feels like Winduz, but if you are going to learn linux then you will not be in that interface, but rather the command line. It is true that you can do everything in linux that you can do while following Chairman Bill's O/S, but it ain't no walk in the park. I trust you know about the Computer Recylcing Center on Santa Rosa Avenue and that on Saturdays they are open for just "kicking it" and buying stuff. You might want to go down there and look at their laptops and see if they've loaded some flavor of linux for you to check out. I am sure they have or can quite easily. Or if you really want to blow it out, try setting up a Virtual PC (free from MS) which is fairly good, and you can run any OS inside of it. You can do that on the system you are using now. As a matter of fact I believe you can load the latest Unbuntu under Windows, but I don't know if that includes the power of the prompt. SO much to do, so little time!

12. TopTop #12
    Mike Peterson

Almost not at all. But with a good quality Graphical User Interface that Ubuntu (and hopefully Kubuntu and Edubuntu) has then I should be fine?

How necessary or often will I need to use the command prompt? I'm not afraid of learning so I will get used to it. But being a tenderfoot, at the beginning of my Linux experience, knowing how adept I will need to be with the command prompt will help tell me how I can best go about getting my feet wet.

Thanks again,

Mike

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Lenny: View Post
    Mike, have you played with linux? Are you comfortable using the command prompt and are willing to learn several, if not scores, of commands? I know Unbuntu has a very nice gui and feels like Winduz, but if you are going to learn linux then you will not be in that interface, but rather the command line. It is true that you can do everything in linux that you can do while following Chairman Bill's O/S, but it ain't no walk in the park. I trust you know about the Computer Recylcing Center on Santa Rosa Avenue and that on Saturdays they are open for just "kicking it" and buying stuff. You might want to go down there and look at their laptops and see if they've loaded some flavor of linux for you to check out. I am sure they have or can quite easily. Or if you really want to blow it out, try setting up a Virtual PC (free from MS) which is fairly good, and you can run any OS inside of it. You can do that on the system you are using now. As a matter of fact I believe you can load the latest Unbuntu under Windows, but I don't know if that includes the power of the prompt. SO much to do, so little time!