Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

One restaurant closes and another opens...

West County Grill has closed its doors, finally. I've been expecting it's demise every since it opened. I can't say I've ever eaten there, but I've heard several less than favorable comments about it.

On the other hand, Restaurant Eloise has recently opened in the old Bistro V location, across from the flea market south of Sebastopol. I expect they will do much better than either Bistro V or WCG.

I had a nice chat with Brian, the general manager, there today and I was very impressed with their commitment to growing their own produce as much as possible, using local ingredients (lots of organics), as well as their commitment to using the whole animal, including organs, for some of their meat dishes.

The main dining room has a fresh new feel and I think you'll be impressed with the level of consciousness they bring to the dining experience. I haven't had a meal there yet, but you can see a review here, and perhaps some of you will chime in with some of your comments as well...
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    ganeshafv

Re: One restaurant closes and another opens...

I have another restaurant recommendation: Khoom Lanna, Thai Cuisine at 107 - 4th St. in Santa Rosa's Railroad Square, just around the corner from The Last Day Saloon. It's what my old Berkeley "foodie" friend's would call "cheap and cheerful". Decor is very nice, but the food is terrific and inexpensive. Two entrees at between $7 and $10 each and a bowl of rice (3 different choices) have always proven more than my date and I could finish. And everything I've had there has been great. It's quiet and (unfortunately) not usually very busy. But I hope this post helps to remedy that as it would be a shame to lose them when they're the perfect place during tight money times. They take reservations at 707-545-THAI. Open for lunch Monday through Saturday, and every night for dinner.

3. TopTop #3
    rekarp

I hope Restaurant Eloise can make it. That space seems jinxed.

Peter Lowell's is a great restaurant with a similar philosophy. They use mostly local ingredients including wines made with organic or biodynamic grapes. For some reason, perhaps the economy, their business is way down even though the prices are reasonable and the food is excellent. If Sebastopol can't support a restaurant like Peter Lowell's then it might be dicey for Restaurant Eloise.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    West County Grill has closed its doors, finally. I've been expecting it's demise every since it opened. I can't say I've ever eaten there, but I've heard several less than favorable comments about it.

On the other hand, Restaurant Eloise has recently opened in the old Bistro V location, across from the flea market south of Sebastopol. I expect they will do much better than either Bistro V or WCG.

I had a nice chat with Brian, the general manager, there today and I was very impressed with their commitment to growing their own produce as much as possible, using local ingredients (lots of organics), as well as their commitment to using the whole animal, including organs, for some of their meat dishes.

The main dining room has a fresh new feel and I think you'll be impressed with the level of consciousness they bring to the dining experience. I haven't had a meal there yet, but you can see a review here, and perhaps some of you will chime in with some of your comments as well...

4. TopTop #4
    rekarp

I agree that Khoom Lanna is a great Thai restaurant. I ate there a month ago and the food was just like you would get in Thailand - tons of ingredients like lemongrass, galanga, mint, etc. The prawn salad was about the best I've ever had. They also served a dish with whole stems of black pepper, something I've never seen before in a restaurant.

Another great Thai restaurant in Santa Rosa is Sea Thai in Montgomery Village. It's very different from Khoom Lanna and a must visit.

Ron

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ganeshafv: View Post
    I have another restaurant recommendation: Khoom Lanna, Thai Cuisine at 107 - 4th St. in Santa Rosa's Railroad Square, just around the corner from The Last Day Saloon. It's what my old Berkeley "foodie" friend's would call "cheap and cheerful". Decor is very nice, but the food is terrific and inexpensive. Two entrees at between $7 and $10 each and a bowl of rice (3 different choices) have always proven more than my date and I could finish. And everything I've had there has been great. It's quiet and (unfortunately) not usually very busy. But I hope this post helps to remedy that as it would be a shame to lose them when they're the perfect place during tight money times. They take reservations at 707-545-THAI. Open for lunch Monday through Saturday, and every night for dinner.

5. TopTop #5
    Suzanne Wandrei

Well, you know there are always other viewpoints. Friends and I went to Peter Lowell's and couldn't get over the 'attitude' with which we were presented, as if they were doing us a big favor to serve us. And our food came in the sequence that was convenient for them, not the way we asked for it. Etc. . . So I won't be going back there. West County could never get it right, and it was hard to believe they couldn't see what they were doing wrong. Great location, should have been a screaming success...we all gave it many, many tries. K & L is still my favorite, consistent wonderful food and service except for maybe one time in all these years.

Hopmunk looks like they might make it....these owners at least are trying to make the service part of it work, which is what killed the last two tries I think. Love the outdoor area except for the flies. What does everyone think of this place, if you've tried it?

Suzanne

Quote Posted in reply to the post by rekarp: View Post
    I hope Restaurant Eloise can make it. That space seems jinxed.

Peter Lowell's is a great restaurant with a similar philosophy. They use mostly local ingredients including wines made with organic or biodynamic grapes. For some reason, perhaps the economy, their business is way down even though the prices are reasonable and the food is excellent. If Sebastopol can't support a restaurant like Peter Lowell's then it might be dicey for Restaurant Eloise.

6. TopTop #6
    Sylph

Thanks for the input on Peter Lowell's. I've been driving by, wondering what it's like to eat there.
    Has the new Thai place opened up yet?

7. TopTop #7
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Some friends and I tried to eat at Lowell's for the "Dine Out For Life" benefit last year, and it was totally disorganized, with no waiting list; plus the list of entrees seemed pretentiously proud of itself for being organic or sustainable or whatever....

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Suzanne Wandrei: View Post
    Well, you know there are always other viewpoints. Friends and I went to Peter Lowell's and couldn't get over the 'attitude' with which we were presented, as if they were doing us a big favor to serve us. And our food came in the sequence that was convenient for them, not the way we asked for it. Etc. . . So I won't be going back there. West County could never get it right, and it was hard to believe they couldn't see what they were doing wrong. Great location, should have been a screaming success...we all gave it many, many tries. K & L is still my favorite, consistent wonderful food and service except for maybe one time in all these years.

Hopmunk looks like they might make it....these owners at least are trying to make the service part of it work, which is what killed the last two tries I think. Love the outdoor area except for the flies. What does everyone think of this place, if you've tried it?

Suzanne

8. TopTop #8
    ywv
    Supporting Member

Well, you know there are always other viewpoints. Friends and I went to Peter Lowell's and couldn't get over the 'attitude' with which we were presented, as if they were doing us a big favor to serve us. And our food came in the sequence that was convenient for them, not the way we asked for it. Etc. . . Suzanne
    Had the same experance at Peter Lowell's, also will not be returning. Have high hopes for Eloise. My favorite is the French Garden.

Happy Dinning,

Yvette

9. TopTop #9
    rekarp

In defense of Peter Lowell's they had opened not long before the Dining Out for Life benefit and they were totally swamped. They really have their act together now with table service at dinner rather than ordering at the counter. The food is so good and they are sourcing their produce from local farms like Taylor Maidens, etc. It's easy to be critical - I think this is one of the best restaurants in Sebastopol.

Ron

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sara S: View Post
    Some friends and I tried to eat at Lowell's for the "Dine Out For Life" benefit last year, and it was totally disorganized, with no waiting list; plus the list of entrees seemed pretentiously proud of itself for being organic or sustainable or whatever....

10. TopTop #10
    Deborah

Have been to Westside Grill once for drinks and appetizers. Sat at the bar and loved the wine selections. Kinda sorry I didn't eat there. It looked way hip.

My favorite for a long time now is GTO's. if you love great wine choices and a roomy restaurant compared to K&L which is okay too, but I HATE the seating. Who wants to be RIGHT next to the adjoining tables. My vote is for GTO.

Deborah

11. TopTop #11
    Hazelwood

Have been to the WC Grill. It felt like they were trying to do too much for where they were. Never felt a pull to go back.

Peter Lowell's is great. Just started going there in the last couple months. Have been a half dozen times. Sometimes in the in the afternoon for a cup of coffee (which is extraordinary) and a sweet treat. Otherwise, in the evening for dinner. Have had tried a couple of the pizzas, which I don't typically do, but they're light and fresh and fun.

I like what they're creating over there. The outside seating gives an almost neighborhood feel, not necessarily in an old world way, just comfortable. If I lived or worked nearby I'd be by more often. Hope they stick around a while.

Laura

In defense of Peter Lowell's they had opened not long before the Dining Out for Life benefit and they were totally swamped. They really have their act together now with table service at dinner rather than ordering at the counter. The food is so good and they are sourcing their produce from local farms like Taylor Maidens, etc. It's easy to be critical - I think this is one of the best restaurants in Sebastopol.

Ron

12. TopTop #12
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

OK, OK, you make a valid argument here. And I AM very critical, but I don't give many points for a restaurant saying that they are "sourcing" their produce locally; it's so trendy to say that, and doesn't mean that the food will be especially good. Maybe I'll give it another try.

Ron

13. TopTop #13
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Some friends and I are eating at Eloise this weekend; I'll let you know!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post

14. TopTop #14
    clara

The new pub in Occidental Barley & Hops has a great beer selection and fantastic food at very reasonable prices. Yesterday I enjoyed the Purple Haze raspberry wheat beer and the soba and vegetables which were served in a yummy Asian sauce. I wish that place lots of luck.

15. TopTop #15
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Well, you know there are always other viewpoints. Friends and I went to Peter Lowell's and couldn't get over the 'attitude' with which we were presented, as if they were doing us a big favor to serve us...
    I have to say that I have had the same feeling there on more than one occasion.

16. TopTop #16
    debbus

Another new restaurant to try is Saigon Bistro-Great Vietnamese food-so inexpensive it's embarrassing. I ordered a large bowl of pho for 7 bucks that fed 3 of us!! The food is fresh and good and the curry is amazing. On mendo near 4th.

17. TopTop #17
    Sylph

Quote Posted in reply to the post by debbus: View Post
    Another new restaurant to try is Saigon Bistro-Great Vietnamese food-so inexpensive it's embarrassing. I ordered a large bowl of pho for 7 bucks that fed 3 of us!! The food is fresh and good and the curry is amazing. On mendo near 4th.
    I also love Saigon, on 3rd and Dutton. You get a huge bowl of rice noodles with charbroiled chicken, pork or shrimp and topped with fresh herbs and tangy sauce. Wonderful comfort food and filling, not fatty! Thanks for the tip on Saigon Bistro, I'll check it out!

I am curious to try the new pub in Occi, but don't forget Bistro des Copains, always delightful. Elegant but not overly fussy and quite affordable. Nice ambience and friendly service!

18. TopTop #18
    typewriter

Thanks for all of the suggestions, I'm in Santa Rosa and never quite know where to eat when I'm in Sebastopol. Also, I'll definitely be looking up and trying the Thai in RRsquare.

On another note, has anyone else tried Seed in Santa Rosa? It's next to the P&J center, there was another "alternative" place there a few years ago that folded quickly.

I took my 13 year old veggie cousin to Seed while she was visiting from San Diego and her review was enthusiastic and extremely favorable. (That combined with a trip to Launch and Screaming Mimi's apparently secured my place as #1 cousin.)

The portions are decent and we got out of there with two entrees and two desserts (taken to go to share with those who declined dining with us) for under $40. There were other people there and, while the food may be raw, the atmosphere is anything but which impressed me.

If you ask me there's no substitute for a well-orchestrated burrito to satisfy but I can't resist trying new offerings!

19. TopTop #19
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Well, my take on Eloise was: not bad, not great, quite expensive, limited choices.

I had the Marrow bone "salad" as an appetizer ($14) and of 3 bones, one had almost no marrow-all bone. I pointed this out to the waiter, but got no action (if I were the waiter, I'd have at least done something...).

The ricotta-chard gnocchi ($19) were delicious, and my friends' entrees were also great: rack of lamb and halibut.

Servers were terrific.

Sara S.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sara S: View Post
    Some friends and I are eating at Eloise this weekend; I'll let you know!

20. TopTop #20
    nurturetruth
    Co-observing

Since its opening , I have gone to SEED a few times to try different things.

The owners, their family and staff are ALWAYS very kind and helpful.

Though the menu is mostly live raw food, they do have a couple of choices to choose from when it comes to cooked food which is marked on the menu with a little sun icon.

I went just last week with a beautiful new friend of mine who specializes in the Ayurvedic diet. He enjoyed the warmth of the Lentil soup (3.50 /6.50) along with the Cashew Chili boat. (9.50)

I ordered the Cashew egg salad (10.50) , their delicious PEA curry soup served cold..but WoW! It was sooo good! It is now my favorite, even more so than the Garden Soup.

I also highly recommend trying their stuffed olive tapenade Mushrooms which is topped with zucchini hummus. (8.00) Absolutely YUMMY!!

Their cooked tofu sloppy seed burger ..(10.50) its a bit bland in my opinion if ordered at the restaurant. I always order this as a "to go" item so I can come home and add veganaise along with bread and butter pickels! Then it is divine !

Last edited by nurturetruth; 08-24-2008 at 01:24 PM.

21. TopTop #21
    nurturetruth
    Co-observing

In regards to previous posts, I too have had similar feelings regarding Peter Lowells. Its interesting to hear everyone's experiences b/c I just imagined i was alone with my experience. with that said, I do hope they will take Wacco-ites reviews to heart as the restaurant does seem to hold good intents.

I also had a very interesting experience at one of my fav's..Howard's in Occidental.

I went out there to meet a friend around 12:30 at the very start of their lunch hour because I was craving their Portabello Mushroom Sandwhich which is superb!
    Upon ordering, I was told by the waitress that they had already run out of Portabello mushrooms and therefore could not make the sandwhich.
    I found this very interesting since lunch hour had just begun.
    I communicated my feelings of disappointment and sadness and expressed that was the main reason I had chosen to come out.
    The waitress cleverly suggested that crimini shrooms could be used and went to tell the kitchen .
    At this point, a lady whom I am assuming is the owner/manager came up to my table and said , "so you want us to use regular mushrooms? I just want you to know that it will be an unpleasant experience for you because all the mushrooms will fall out and just want to be sure you want this."

I felt it was very odd and strange that she would actually tell me I would have an unpleasant experience. It was in fact a tasty very pleasant experience and none of the shrooms fell out.

so just a heads up if you ever go out there and want the portabello sandwhich...there ARE alternatives if they are 'out'.

Just ask for what you want even if you are told the experience will be unpleasant!

Last edited by nurturetruth; 08-26-2008 at 12:32 PM.

22. TopTop #22
    Sylph

Re: One restaurant closes and another opens...Howard's

Quote a lady whom I am assuming is the owner/manager came up to my table and said , "so you want us to use regular mushrooms? I just want you to know that it will be an unpleasant experience for you because all the mushrooms will fall out and just want to be sure you want this."

I felt it was very odd and strange that she would actually tell me I would have an unpleasant experience. It was in fact a tasty very pleasant experience and none of the shrooms fell out.

so just a heads up if you ever go out there and want the portabello sandwhich...there ARE alternatives if they are 'out'.

Just ask for what you want!
    That's so funny! So, if your mushrooms fell out that would be a disaster? Is it bad form to pick them off your plate and stuff them back in? LOL!
    We always have fabulous food at Howard's, hearty and fresh. Veggie selections are varied. The smoothies are so delicious! The huevos rancheros for brunch are a favorite choice of mine.

23. TopTop #23
    tommy

Guayaki, the restaurant associated with the delicious Mate (I love the chocolatte), is across the street from Coffee Catz. What a joke. This place could only be conceived of in the eco/vegan heaven of Sebastopol. $9 brings you 3 samosa type fritters (2 bites each) and a 4 bite salad wannabe (mixed greens with a few seeds). It's incredible that they can charge this much for so little food. I guess you're paying for the outre hip atmosphere and the privelige of sitting in a fake rainforest cafe, only brought back to reality by the folks at the next table doing network marketing by cell phone. They did a really nice job transforming what a warehouse into a cozy spot beside the highway, and the mural outside is beautiful. The service people have really cool accents. The only problem is that it's a $9 appetizer, and you have to stop at Mickey Dees or Whole Foods for the main dish.

24. TopTop #24
    nurturetruth
    Co-observing

I love it that Guayaki opened up in Sebastopol. To have a yerbe mate' bar nearby, what a delight!

I agree with u though, Tommy. Though the staff are VERY attentive ,warm , kind and the atmosphere is welcoming, the price range for some of the food items do seem a bit skyrocketed for the amount one receives. I too have often had to just go there to get my mate' and go somewhere else to eat , though I appreciate their creative menu!

The times I have spoiled myself with some of their decadent organic food, I have ordered their "Luscious Greens" (10.00) which comes with cranberries, pumpkin seeds, and your choice of Pt. Reyes Bleu cheese or organic goat cheese. YUMMY! It was a pretty decent serving, but I still thought at the time..."I cannot believe I am paying 10.00 for a salad!"
    So, I eneded up asking what type of dressing they used and then went to wholy foods and bought all of my own ingrediants for around the same price and enjoyed quite a number of salads!

They also serve apples with carmel dipping sauce,(6.00) my favorite raw trail mix, and Mochi with your choice of spread (4.00)

Recently, I was in there and they were serving Parfaits for $3.00 which was simply amazing!
    (made with cashews,agave,rosewater, cardamom and strawberries)

25. TopTop #25
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

In a letter to the Editor there in Sebastopol some years ago, the writer said "let's remember that in Sebastopol, pretension is our most important product."

Quote Posted in reply to the post by tommy: View Post
    Guayaki,
    This place could only be conceived of in the eco/vegan heaven of Sebastopol.
    Last edited by Barry; 08-25-2008 at 02:11 PM.

26. TopTop #26
    Vet-To-Pet

Wake up, Sonoma County! If you haven't left this area to dine out for several years, I've got news for you: It doesn't have to cost that much to eat good food in pleasant surroundings! I moved here (Sebastopol) about 2 years ago from Athens, GA, a college town. There are dozens of all kinds of restaurants where one can have a salad, a filling meal, & dessert (IF you have roomm left!) for less than $20. You see, it's the same food, cooked in tastey ways, but they charge prices that people can afford or else they'd go out of business. For example, there's a vegetarian restaurant called "The Grit", which is always busy with people of all ages, the food is excellent, varied, delicious desserts, and you can usually end up paying about $13 to $18, including the tip. They (The Grit) published a cookbook a few years back & I was surprised to see it selling in Sebastopol's Copperfiled's as one of the employee's choices. The meals, exactly as cooked in that cookbook, would probably cost somewhere around $25 in a restaurant in Sonoma County. Why? Because they CAN charge those inflated prices since so many wealthy people don't care how much they spend, and that drives up the price of everything. I am NOT wealthy, so I rarely dine out since living here. In Athens, almost every week I'd eat at one or two restaurants per week & not have to eat PB&J sandwiches for a month to make up for it. The restaurantuers are scamming us. I grew up in NY. When I go back to visit family & friends, I don't even pay as much (as here) to eat a good restaurant meal there!! I assure you that the food is all the same. The appetizers at The Grit are so good & substantial that I'd often order an appetizer for my dinner & get dessert, and pay less than $10. So, y'all can continue to pay these outragious prices, or we can start complaining about the price of a few leaves of lettuce & some seeds, or simply stop going there, & tell them WHY. It's extortion. I realize that the restaurant owners need to make a living, too, but they don't have to suck us dry to do so.
    Bon appetite!
    Paula/Vet-To-Pet

Guayaki, the restaurant associated with the delicious Mate (I love the chocolatte), is across the street from Coffee Catz. What a joke. This place could only be conceived of in the eco/vegan heaven of Sebastopol. $9 brings you 3 samosa type fritters (2 bites each) and a 4 bite salad wannabe (mixed greens with a few seeds). It's incredible that they can charge this much for so little food. I guess you're paying for the outre hip atmosphere and the privelige of sitting in a fake rainforest cafe, only brought back to reality by the folks at the next table doing network marketing by cell phone. They did a really nice job transforming what a warehouse into a cozy spot beside the highway, and the mural outside is beautiful. The service people have really cool accents. The only problem is that it's a $9 appetizer, and you have to stop at Mickey Dees or Whole Foods for the main dish.

27. TopTop #27
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Maybe you should open a restaurant here instead?
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Vet to Pet: View Post
    Wake up, Sonoma County! .. .So, y'all can continue to pay these outrageous prices, or we can start complaining about the price of a few leaves of lettuce & some seeds, or simply stop going there, & tell them WHY. It's extortion. I realize that the restaurant owners need to make a living, too, but they don't have to suck us dry to do so.
    Bon appetite!
    Paula/Vet-To-Pet

28. TopTop #28
    tommy

While the Grit sounds wonderful, I think there are some economics at play here, it's not that Sonoma Co is full of wealthy people who want to throw their money away for a few leaves of salad & seeds. Altho I havn't done a study, I think that the cost of doing business in California, and Sonoma Co in particular, may be much higher than in Athens, GA. California is notoriously business unfriendly, which basically means it's very expensive to do business here, because of all the taxes & regulations (True Fact). I'd bet that the cost of buying a house, or renting an apartment, in Sebastopol, is considerably higher than in Athens, even tho it's a college town. Another factor for Sebastopol, is that since it's a small town, it doesn't have the volume and economies of scale as San Rafael or Berkeley, both of which have some great restaurants at prices much lower than Sebastopol.

But Barry, I think you should open a Waccoville Restaurant in Sebastopol (it could be where Alice's is - they're trying to sell anyway. Alice's has tasty food, but you have to eat PB&J for the next 2 weeks, to afford it... at least you're never bothered by people on cell phones there, cause there's never anyone in there). We could have all the local creatives cook on alternative nights. However, who would wait on notoriously rude customers, wash the dishes, and clean up the joint?

29. TopTop #29
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

But Barry, I think you should open a Waccoville Restaurant in Sebastopol ... We could have all the local creatives cook on alternative nights....
    That's the plan! Well, sort of. Instead I'm going to invite everybody to be :chef:!
    Let's see.... what shall we call it? .... I know:

The Annual WaccoBB.net Community Picnic!

One "night" only... October 18th! Watch for the official announcement.

Maybe we'll even get written up in one of the local food columns.
    I was blown away by the Fabulous Food at the last WaccoBB.net Social!

30. TopTop #30
    r3miracles

I'm finding this thread very interesting to follow, as well as enlightening. My husband (yes, for those who know who I am, we married 2/14/08!) and I will often go to one of our local Thai or Vietnamese restaurants, purchase one entree, bring it home, make our own brown rice and have at least 2 meals each out of it. When we do dine out, most often we simply order one appetizer and one entree and share with one another - cost effective, and romantic, too!

I remember when Guayaki moved up here from San Luis Obispo two years ago. And for me personally, no, I am not rich (far from it!) ... but as an occasional treat, it's nice to know that a company with a passion for saving the planet from pollution and waste, and rampant destruction of natural resources, is available to me as a choice to enjoy simply a mate (yummy!) or a bite to eat. (The parfaits sound delicioso!) And for those wondering - no, I don't work for Guayaki - I wish I did!

Regarding the crimini mushrooms, I often refer to them as "baby portobellos" and love to eat them! Some interesting nutritional facts about them can be found at https://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?...dspice&dbid=97 - enjoy!

~Jen

Quote Posted in reply to the post by nurturetruth: View Post
    I also had a very interesting experience at one of my fav's..Howard's in Occidental.

I went out there to meet a friend around 12:30 at the very start of their lunch hour because I was craving their Portabello Mushroom Sandwhich which is superb!
    Upon ordering, I was told by the waitress that they had already run out of Portabello mushrooms and therefore could not make the sandwhich.
    I found this very interesting since lunch hour had just begun.
    I communicated my feelings of disappointment and sadness and expressed that was the main reason I had chosen to come out.
    The waitress cleverly suggested that crimini shrooms could be used and went to tell the kitchen .