Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    dogster69

hopmonk does it again

Unfortunately, Hopmonk Tavern has fired their awesome bar manager, Aussie Brad for having a beer after he had finished work. The sad thing is that when I, ( i was a regular patron ) inquired why to Brad was not there, I was informed by the GM that he had moved on to other enterprises, It is rumored that Brad was right at his 3 months, ( cal state law allows you to dismiss for no reason before 3 months employment).
    Brad was the reason why i went in there, he was putting in countless hours getting their " summer rotation" together, basically the hrs he was working were rediculous. I suspect that the real reason of termination was that he has out priced himself. I guess that Hopmonk in more corporation than what Mr Biersch had fought against.
    I wish Brad all the best and it is a sad day for Hopmonk, Ill drink my beer elsewhere.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Tars

Re: hopmonk does it again

Quote Posted in reply to the post by dogster69: View Post
    It is rumored that Brad was right at his 3 months, ( cal state law allows you to dismiss for no reason before 3 months employment).
    Hmm...I hadn't heard that the law's changed. As long as I can remember, California has been an "at will" state, in which the employer can let an employee go at their own option. Neither are there any laws that require an employer to change an employee's status, pay level, or benefits after 3 months, or any time period. I'm thinking that the "rumor" you heard was just that. I wonder if Biersch has a company policy that prohibits employees from drinking in the establishment. If so, one would think that a bar manager would know not to do it.

Tell you what though, I have a source inside that company, I'll see what they have to say about it.

3. TopTop #3
    Braggi

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Tars: View Post
    ... I wonder if Biersch has a company policy that prohibits employees from drinking in the establishment. If so, one would think that a bar manager would know not to do it. ...
    If so, it would be a stoopid policy.

-Jeff

4. TopTop #4
    Tars

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Braggi: View Post
    If so, it would be a stoopid policy.
    Agreed! What's the point of working in an establishment offering premium brews, if you can't even sample the goods!

A good bar owner knows that their business success often depends on their staff building a personal relationship with the clientelle - rubbing elbows at the bar.

5. TopTop #5
    danejasper

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Tars: View Post
    Hmm...I hadn't heard that the law's changed. As long as I can remember, California has been an "at will" state, in which the employer can let an employee go at their own option.
    This is correct, employment in California is at will, and neither party has any obligation to the other. Just as the employee may walk out without breach, the employer may also terminate the relationship too.

(Of course, the employer cannot terminate for reasons which are discriminatory!)

-Dane

6. TopTop #6
    Tars

A follow-up for dogster69:

I spoke with the person I know at Hopmonk. They said that, yes indeed, Aussie Brad was fired by the general manager for drinking at the bar. It appears that it is the GM's policy, not company policy, that no employees, at any time, will drink in the Hopmonk. They said that the GM fired Brad to make an example of him.

The employees gathered a petition, which the large majority of workers signed, asking that Brad be restored. The petition was ignored. Brad was very popular with the employees, and was a huge contributor to the workload. I was told that his leaving has made working conditions much more difficult for remaining workers. Although the person I talked to did not directly criticize the GM, they stated that the GM is very conservative, and her actions have hurt morale among the workers. The person I talked to suggested that if customers of the establishment feel similarly, they should contact the owners directly and voice their displeasure.

7. TopTop #7
    Jen T.

Latest review of Hopmonk:

6/21/08

1 order Wasabi Peas ($1) Good size portion of spicy pees. Tasty with beer.
    1 order Beer Nuts ($1) Never received.
    1 Soft Belgium Pretzel ($2) Microwaved into rubber. Completely inedible.
    1 Cheeseburger Medium-well ($13) Charred beyond recognition. Dry and tasteless and almost impossible to swallow.
    1 Salad with Chicken ($12) Good salad, but not the one ordered.
    Hefeweizen Wheat Beer ($5) Excellent!!!

I really would like to see Hopmonk succeed, but right now I would suggest that you go for the beer but skip the food until they get it together:-( They did comp us for the burger and pretzel just to be fair.