Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    shemdiza

Want Some Honey Bees?

Hello-
    I live in Santa Rosa and there is a hive of honey bees living in a space between my wall and the outer siding of my cottage space. I have been pretty o.k. with them up until yesterday when I got stung, and with the increasing heat they seem to be busier and busier and there also seems to be a lot more of them than I previously remembered. I like bees but I don't care to co-exsist with them any longer!
    My ideal would be for someone to come and lure them out without having damage left to the building, but if this is not possible then we can find a way. I would also just like it to be a straight trade. Bees for labor. Not that I own the bees, but I know they are having a hard enough time as it is, and I would rather see them alive and with someone or somewhere where they can bee happy!!
    Feel free to call or if you know anyone who can help, pass on my number.
    548-7114
    Thanks,
    Molly
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Claire

Re: Want Some Honey Bees?

Hey Molly, The Sonoma Bee Club has lists of people who come to get wild swarms. We found bees for quite a few hives that way, back in the day.
    The possibility is not real likely for you to get someone to come and remove the bees without damage to your siding. They will not want to come out to be displaced and the smell of wax that will linger there will forever be a lure to future swarms. Maybe something's changed since we captured our wild swarms 20 yrs. ago. If there is new info, I'd love to hear it.
    One thing that might change for you is that 1/2 the population might swarm on these hot and sunny April days if the hive is too crowded, then you would be back to a manageable size.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by shemdiza: View Post
    Hello-
    I live in Santa Rosa and there is a hive of honey bees living in a space between my wall and the outer siding of my cottage space. I have been pretty o.k. with them up until yesterday when I got stung, and with the increasing heat they seem to be busier and busier and there also seems to be a lot more of them than I previously remembered. I like bees but I don't care to co-exsist with them any longer!
    My ideal would be for someone to come and lure them out without having damage left to the building, but if this is not possible then we can find a way. I would also just like it to be a straight trade. Bees for labor. Not that I own the bees, but I know they are having a hard enough time as it is, and I would rather see them alive and with someone or somewhere where they can bee happy!!
    Feel free to call or if you know anyone who can help, pass on my number.
    548-7114
    Thanks,
    Molly

3. TopTop #3
    brianfoster

Hi Molly, Glenn Murphy is a beekeeper and removal person who lives in Sebastopol.Don't know if he'll charge you but it's worth calling him.His phone number is 707-486-4712. Email is:[email protected]
    Don't worry Bee happy.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by claire ossenbeck: View Post
    Hey Molly, The Sonoma Bee Club has lists of people who come to get wild swarms. We found bees for quite a few hives that way, back in the day.
    The possibility is not real likely for you to get someone to come and remove the bees without damage to your siding. They will not want to come out to be displaced and the smell of wax that will linger there will forever be a lure to future swarms. Maybe something's changed since we captured our wild swarms 20 yrs. ago. If there is new info, I'd love to hear it.
    One thing that might change for you is that 1/2 the population might swarm on these hot and sunny April days if the hive is too crowded, then you would be back to a manageable size.

4. TopTop #4
    debbus

You can also try Bloomfield bees honey at 836-7278 and ask for Geof or 490-5001

5. TopTop #5
    Shepherd

Yes, I would like some honey bees. If you or anyone else has a swarm that you would be willing to bring to my Kokopelli Farm off Bloomfield Rd. a little south of Sebastopol, up from Hard Core Coffee on Highway 116, I would be grateful. I would like a beekeeper who would get the honey from a hive or more. What I want is the pollination of my main crop, boysenberries, as well as of apples. I need at least one hive soon, since the berries are about ready to pop. My small farm is excellent for bees, which I have had here for much of the last 15 years. My beekeeper recently moved on, so I am looking to replace him. There are lots of nectar-rich plants here, including eucalyptus. We are in the uplands of the Cunningham Marsh, so there is ample water. Next door there is an apple orchard. I can be reached at [email protected] and (707) 829-8185.