Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Dorisse

Attachments/ and book illustrator/artist questions

Hello all,

I am wondering if Waccobb.net can take attachments, ie: a flyer for a local Sebastopol event coming up?

Also, my artist daughter has been offered a job to illustrate a children's book. Since this will be her first, we have idea what this kind of thing pays in the world at large, and would love some perspective from someone who knows. She's been offered $50-$100 per illustration, for approximately 30 illustrations. Is that an average going rate, or is it on the low side, as it seems to me?

Thanks everyone!
    Dorisse in Asheville,
    828-633-0860
    still appreciating my friends, family and community in Sonoma County
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2

Re: Attachments/ and book illustrator/artist questions

Dorisse,
    Without knowing details--publisher, complexity of drawings, copyright, etc.--it is hard to say for certain but in my experience this is on the low end of a reasonable offer. Such things have been static for more than a decade but with books I've done artists have been offered between $50 and $250 per drawing for one-time North American use rights. If the publisher will have the copyright, they should pay more and this is where you can negotiate.

best of luck to your daughter

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dorisse: View Post
    Hello all,

I am wondering if Waccobb.net can take attachments, ie: a flyer for a local Sebastopol event coming up?

Also, my artist daughter has been offered a job to illustrate a children's book. Since this will be her first, we have idea what this kind of thing pays in the world at large, and would love some perspective from someone who knows. She's been offered $50-$100 per illustration, for approximately 30 illustrations. Is that an average going rate, or is it on the low side, as it seems to me?

Thanks everyone!
    Dorisse in Asheville,
    828-633-0860

3. TopTop #3
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Yes Dorisse, we can accept attachments. Note that .pdfs will show up a a link, but .jpgs can be displayed directly.

See How do I insert a picture onto my posting? in the WaccoBB.net FAQ Category.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dorisse: View Post
    Hello all,

Thanks everyone!
    Dorisse in Asheville,
    828-633-0860

4. TopTop #4
    Tars

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    we can accept attachments. Note that .pdfs will show up a a link, but .jpgs can be displayed directly.
    May I also suggest to anyone posting a link to a PDF or other file, that they put some indication as to how large the file is? Perhaps filesize after the link. Example htttp://nosuchurl.info/bighonking.pdf (3.2mb).

Recently I downloaded a PDF from a link here that was 1.7mb. Luckily, I have a semi-fast connection. But there're still bunches of country folks who use dial-up, and would have to go work the south 40 while they wait for a big PDF to load.