Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

I'm exploring having a dog for a few months - ideas?

:puppy1::dogtong:

Hi,

I used to have two golden retrievers (Stella Blue & Jedidiah H.) who were quite wonderful. They've passed and it's been fine being dog-free (and fur-free) for a while. But I'm starting to get an itch for a dog (or two?) again. However I am not ready for a long term commitment. So I was thinking about getting a guide-dog puppy or some other short-term arrangement so that I get to give them back after a few months! I have to say that I'm not up for any rescue dog or anything else that would need special care.

So what kind of arrangements are available and who would I contact?

Thanks!

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    decterlove

Re: I'm exploring having a dog for a few months - ideas?

Well, when I was about 8 years old we moved to a new larger house and I begged my parents to let me have a puppy to go along with all the new furniture. (this was way before I got really hooked on reptiles which can also be walked on a leash by the way...)

Well, mom and dad, being the wise mom and dad my mom and dad always were, decided the best way to find out if I were ready for a new puppy was to start me off on sort of a set of "training wheels" essentially and they went out to Kresge's and bought a really nice leash, and a collar, and a sack of flour.

Mom and Dad came home and put the collar around that sack of flour and attached the leash to it, and even got a little dogtag that just said "Sackie" and attached it to the collar with mention of our home phone number and address, and they made me take that sack of flour for a walk every day for three months....

Just to get the hang of what it would be like to have a real dog....and all the responsibilities a real dog entails...(this was way before mandatory dog poop baggies were mandatory, thank goodness...)

Well, me and Sackie took a nice long walk every morning as soon as I got up and before I put my shoes on for school. It was the greatest experience of my life and I will always be grateful to my parents for teaching me the serious responsibilities of dog/sack ownership as a young youth.

So I'd get a sack first, Barry...and just practice for a few weeks until you're sure you want a real dog.
    Last edited by decterlove; 03-29-2008 at 10:31 AM.

3. TopTop #3
    MsTerry

oh yeah, and Barry, please post the hours and route you will take when you are breaking in "Sackie"

Quote Posted in reply to the post by decterlove: View Post
    Well, when I was about 8 years old we moved to a new larger house and I begged my parents to let me have a puppy to go along with all the new furniture. (this was way before I got really hooked on reptiles which can also be walked on a leash by the way...)

Well, mom and dad, being the wise mom and dad my mom and dad always were, decided the best way to find out if I were ready for a new puppy was to start me off on sort of a set of "training wheels" essentially and they went out to Kresge's and bought a really nice leash, and collar, and a sack of flour.

Mom and Dad came home and put the collar around that sack of flour and attached the leash to it, and even got a little dogtag that just said "Sackie" and attached it to the collar with mention of our home phone number and address, and they made me take that sack of flour for a walk every day for three months....

Just to get the hang of what it would be like to have a real dog....and all the responsibilities a real dog entails...(this was way before mandatory dog poop baggies were mandatory, thank goodness...)

Well, me and Sackie took a nice long walk every morning as soon as I got up and before I put my shoes on for school. It was the greatest experience of my life and I will always be grateful to my parents for teaching me the serious responsibilities of dog/sack ownership as a young youth.

So I'd get a sack first, Barry...and just practice for a few weeks until you're sure you want a real dog.

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #4

Short of pet sitting I don't know if there is anything that requires little commitment with a limited time frame of that length. Although not all rescues would have special needs, (but of course you need to spend some time and socialize with them) it may be rather open ended as there's no guarantee when they can adopt them out, and also the rescue folks will want to know you're serious about helping - but possibly if they are in a jam as there's never enough help. As for guide dogs you can contact Guide Dogs for the Blind in San Rafael, I don't remember the specifics but I seem to recall that fosters stay with those families a LONG time, at the graduation ceremonies people are moved to tears as it's something like upwards to a year and people grow attached to the dogs, however there are some people who do it over and over.

6. TopTop #5
    santarosie

Barry,
    You can borrow Rogue anytime you like!
    She is an 11 year old husky/german shepherd mix: sweet, quiet most of the time, and very compliant (but not cat friendly). Being an older dog, she loves to jut sit outside and watch the world go by. When it's time for the walk, you'd think this older dog is still a puppy. She dances around and get ALL excited when you show her the leash. But a "walk" may be a misnomer with this type of dog, be prepared for lots of stop and sniff. But she has taught me to be really observant, and to take time out of a busy day to stop and smell the roses, watch the sunset, live in the moment. She hates being left home alone, maybe you can have her visit you while I am at work I always thought it would be cool to do a shared custody arrangement with a dog. As Decterlove illustrated, they are a lot of work and require a serious commitment.

On a related note, consider adopting an older dog from the shelter. They are (for the most part) mature, fully trained, and calm and gentle. They usually sleep a lot but are still wonderful companions with several great years left, and very easy to have around the house. It is such a shame when people dump them because they are "getting old".

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post

Hi,

I used to have two golden retrievers (Stella Blue & Jedidiah H.) who were quite wonderful. They've passed and it's been fine being dog-free (and fur-free) for a while. But I'm starting to get an itch for a dog (or two?) again. However I am not ready for a long term commitment. So I was thinking about getting a guide-dog puppy or some other short-term arrangement so that I get to give them back after a few months! I have to say that I'm not up for any rescue dog or anything else that would need special care.

Thanks!
    Last edited by santarosie; 03-30-2008 at 09:54 AM.

7. TopTop #6
    santarosie

Quote Posted in reply to the post by thatguymark: View Post
    Short of pet sitting I don't know if there is anything that requires little commitment with a limited time frame of that length. Although not all rescues would have special needs, (but of course you need to spend some time and socialize with them) it may be rather open ended as there's no guarantee when they can adopt them out, and also the rescue folks will want to know you're serious about helping - but possibly if they are in a jam as there's never enough help. As for guide dogs you can contact Guide Dogs for the Blind in San Rafael, I don't remember the specifics but I seem to recall that fosters stay with those families a LONG time, at the graduation ceremonies people are moved to tears as it's something like upwards to a year and people grow attached to the dogs, however there are some people who do it over and over.
    There's also the Assitance Dog Institute in Santa Rosa.
    https://www.assistancedog.org/
    They have a variety of volunteer opportunities.

8. TopTop #7
    sheepdog

Quote Posted in reply to the post by santarosie: View Post
    Barry,
    You can borrow Rogue anytime you like!
    She is an 11 year old husky/german shepherd mix: sweet, quiet most of the time, and very compliant (but not cat friendly). Being an older dog, she loves to jut sit outside and watch the world go by. When it's time for the walk, you'd think this older dog is still a puppy. She dances around and get ALL excited when you show her the leash. But a "walk" may be a misnomer with this type of dog, be prepared for lots of stop and sniff. But she has taught me to be really observant, and to take time out of a busy day to stop and smell the roses, watch the sunset, live in the moment. She hates being left home alone, maybe you can have her visit you while I am at work I always thought it would be cool to do a shared custody arrangement with a dog. As Decterlove illustrated, they are a lot of work and require a serious commitment.

On a related note, consider adopting an older dog from the shelter. They are (for the most part) mature, fully trained, and calm and gentle. They usually sleep a lot but are still wonderful companions with several great years left, and very easy to have around the house. It is such a shame when people dump them because they are "getting old".
    That's a great suggestion, about adopting an older dog from a shelter. The older dogs are less "adoptable" which means they face a very high probability of being killed to make room for another younger animal in the shelter. Being killed is the fate of the majority of shelter dogs and cats, not because of pet overpopulation, but because of the draconian, lazy mindset that rules how shelters are administered. So you would be saving a life and gaining a grateful companion.

9. TopTop #8
    Barbara

[quote=Barry;53425]

Barry, I don't know why you think having a rescue dog(s) involves *special needs.* My husband and I fosterd dogs for over 20 years from various animal shelters. None of the dogs needed *special care* other than love and time. Once in a while a dog would come to us unhousebroken, but most of the dogs we took in were already housebroken. We always took in adult dogs, and every single one of them was adopted. We cried when the first foster dog left, after that we looked forward to the next one. Why not try fostering through a rescue group, your breed of choice. It is soooo rewarding and you will meet wonderful folks along the way.

As an aside, I cannot support Guide Dogs for the Blind because I see them pumping out hundreds of dogs per year, most not qualifying for work. They simply take homes away from dogs already in need of homes. Just my two cents....

Barbara

10. TopTop #9

A dog IS a commitment, not temporary relief from something that might be missing in your life. And if you finally decide to be responsible, please rescue a dog that needs a good home. Believe me, they know what you do for them when you save them from a life of wondering parking lots and being chased from dumpsters.

Bill

11. TopTop #10
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by eeeeeeow: View Post
    A dog IS a commitment, not temporary relief from something that might be missing in your life. And if you finally decide to be responsible, ...
    Excuse me?

And to everybody else, thanks for all the helpful suggestions and offers! It gives me lots to go on! Feel free to continue to respond in case other people may find it helpful.

12. TopTop #11

Dogs are not whims. They are creatures that ned love and stability. Dog sitting is one thing, but too have a "dog for a few months" just to dump it when you're tired of it, soounds a bit selfish. Or am I misunderstanding your post?

B

13. TopTop #12
    MsTerry

eeeeeeow,

The man isn't looking for a dog. It is a gay code word for a nice big you-know-what.
    He is trying to get something on the side, when his old lady can't provide.
    Besides do you really think that a public man as Barry would be so callous , as to ask for a puppy publicly and then dump it somewhere?

Dogs are not whims. They are creatures that ned love and stability. Dog sitting is one thing, but too have a "dog for a few months" just to dump it when you're tired of it, soounds a bit selfish. Or am I misunderstanding your post?

B

14. TopTop #13

Oh.

My mistake. I feel so silly. Apologies.

B

15. TopTop #14
    boomerfashion

HI Barry

I really don't get why you even want to have a dog if you don't want to keep it! And yes, I agree that rescuing an older dog from a shelter is a wonderful humanitarian thing to do; however, if you don't intend to have a long term relationship, it's a bad choice (unless you are fostering a needy dog waiting for a permanent home, but that doesn't sound like what you are looking for). And a word about rescue dogs: I have had rescue dogs all my life and aside from some initial insecurity, they have all been amazing and loyal companions, affording me more pleasure than I can say.

Dogs love and get very attached to their people. To take a dog in and then
    give it back doesn't seem very kind to me. I think maybe I missed the point of your original post and I apologize if that is the case. Too many people don't get that animals absolutely suffer when we humans don't do the right thing and merely serve our own needs.

There's my ten cents. Maybe you were merely trying to stir up the pot and elicit some heartfelt responses. It worked. :)

A dog IS a commitment, not temporary relief from something that might be missing in your life. And if you finally decide to be responsible, please rescue a dog that needs a good home. Believe me, they know what you do for them when you save them from a life of wondering parking lots and being chased from dumpsters.

Bill

16. TopTop #15
    Philip Tymon

Barry,

I work part-time for Guide Dogs for the Blind and I have a friend (Rick Andres---he lives near you--- do you know him?) who is a puppy raiser for Canine Companions. Being a puppy raiser for either of those organizations is quite a commitment--- they are very professional and very specific about the type of training, etc. that you need to engage in. You usually get the puppy when it is about 8 weeks old and return it when it is about 15-18 months old. It's a great thing to do--- if you have the commitment.

On the other hand, I have been thinking about doing a dog share with someone--- that way, if either of us goes out of town, there is someone else who can automatically take care of the dog. I love having animals, but they are also an anchor and make travel much more difficult. If you would be interested in exploring a dog share, please let me know.

Best,

Phil

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    ...I'm starting to get an itch for a dog (or two?) again. However, I am not ready for a long-term commitment. So I was thinking about getting a guide-dog puppy or some other short-term arrangement so that I get to give them back after a few months! I have to say that I'm not up for any rescue dog or anything else that would need special care.

Last edited by Barry; 07-13-2018 at 03:52 PM.

17. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

18. TopTop #16
    Shandi

Seems like the original post was in 2008? Anyway, it's good information to share, any time!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Philip Tymon: View Post
    Barry,

I work part-time for Guide Dogs for the Blind ...
    Last edited by Barry; 07-13-2018 at 03:49 PM.

19. TopTop #17
    Philip Tymon

Funny--- I never noticed that it was ten years ago! I think I was searching for something else and came across that. The wonders of the internet!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    Seems like the original post was in 2008? Anyway, it's good information to share, any time!

20. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

21. TopTop #18
    350kitty

Contact animal shelters. There are ALWAYS a few dogs that need some TLC, some fostering and training and housebreaking, before they are ready to go to a forever home.

Or, volunteer at an animal shelter. The dogs need attention and care, and will benefit from the attention/socialization. That could also help them get ready for a forever home:

"socializing the dog to a home environment and possibly getting him used to being around other pets and different types of people."

Why Foster A Dog and What Does It Entail?
    https://www.petfinder.com/animal-she...dog-fostering/

I'm thinking about volunteering myself - I can't have a pet where I live, and I miss having a cat! I like dogs, too!

Go for it! Let me know how it turns out!

*** 350ppm *** 350ppm *** Food as Climate Action: Do it now - For everyone you love! *** 350ppm *** 350ppm ***

22. TopTop #19
    Shandi

I volunteered as a "cat cuddler" for 2 years at the RPk shelter when I didn't have a kitty. Most shelters need people to get the kitties out of their cages for a few minutes.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by 350kitty: View Post
    Contact animal shelters. There are ALWAYS a few dogs that need some TLC, some fostering and training and housebreaking, before they are ready to go to a forever home. ...