Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    ebbnflow

I need info about Santa Rosa...

Hello out there WaccoBB community, I was hoping I could get some advice. OK, so the rental market in Sebastopol sucks to infinity power. This is my second attempt to live there, but alas, it does not seem meant to be…Anyway, I need to expand my search or we will be living in the minivan pretty soon here. I am considering looking in Santa Rosa but I don’t know much about it... I was hoping some of you out there could give me the lowdown on the area. Good parts, bad parts, especially cool parts, especially un-cool parts…etc…I am a single mom with three school age kids, so a safe neighborhood and good schools are my priorities. Were living in West Marin right now so I want to get my bearings before I go driving up to look at anything...Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    ~Heidi*
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    shellebelle

Re: I need info about Santa Rosa...

Check the reports on the schools carefully most are not good in Santa Rosa. That alone will tell you where to look in Santa Rosa. Cotati is almost as bad in regards to schools though the town itself seems better.

If you can leave your kids in their current school you may want to consider that.
    Last edited by Barry; 03-20-2008 at 09:43 PM.

3. TopTop #3
    danmonte

One method of testing schools for compatibility is to talk to them. You will get a real good sense how they will treat you by this interaction. As a father of 2 and eventually a school teacher I have found this method the only one that really works.

I have lived in Casa Del Sol near Stoney Point Rd and Sebastopol Rd. It is a gated community with lots of kids and 2 and 3 bedroom townhouses. There is a middle school across the street.

Best of luck

4. TopTop #4
    Sandy

I don't have school kids anymore so I don't know about schools. We moved here a couple of years ago and I have driven everywhere I could think of.
    We live across from the J.C. which is convenient for us. It is the older neighborhood close to downtown and conveniet for walking. Because it is the college area, there are usually houses coming available frequently. Cheapest rent is mostly south of Hwy 12 on the map.
    East across the hill is the Rincon Valley area and it is probably all pricey.
    It is also where the the largest parks are - Howarth and Annadel.

The longest bike/hiking trail in the county, the Joe Radota Trail goes from S.R. thru Sebastopol to Forrestville is great for long outings but has no bathrooms. There are parks and trails everywhere here. We have an active city park program, good YMCA downtown and sport parks are getting bigger all the time.

5. TopTop #5
    Shazam

I'd definitely focus on the Junior College area. The school itself has a lot of interesting classes and activities and there's the Community Market just north of there--one of the few whole-food mini-supermarkets in the area; the Last Record Store is right near the market, a good resource. The neighborhood is mostly south of Steele Lane and north of College, and east of Mendocino Avenue. The houses are small and old and many of them are charming but reasonably priced; and there are small pocket parks around for kids. There are a few schools that look nice, though I don't know anyone in them. The high school is right there on Mendocino next to the J.C. And the whole area is a (long) walk to downtown, which has its charm as well: good Farmer's Market, a nice fair-trade shop.
    Another nice place to be near with young kids is Howarth Park over on the east side of town---acres of lands with a big lake and a great varied playground for kids. Not sure of the availability of rentals, but it's just moderate income. And the nice thing about Howarth Park is that the Rialto Theatre (the only hip movie theatre in town--in fact for far around) is right next to the park entrance, as is the East/West Restaurant. Otherwise, it's a long way from everything. Probably safe neighborhood and good schools.

I'm a fan of Santa Rosa. It's not Sebastopol, but it's pretty nice.

Shazam
    Last edited by WESH; 03-16-2008 at 06:49 PM.

6. TopTop #6
    lifequest

I'd second and third the recommendations about the JC neighborhood... I live a bit east of there but spend a lot of time around. The irony of the mortgage and forclosure crises is that rents are rising as more people are ejected from their owned homes.

Cheapest rents are in the less desirable parts of town (south east and west) and also worst performing schools. The higher rents and better schools are in the NE part of town.

The west and north west part of town does have some affordable places and OK schools.

As far as drive by's and gang activity, the hot spots are the Apple Valley neighborhood (Northwest part of town) and Roseland and South Park (not the TV series) in the Southeast and Southwest parts of town.

Santa Rosa's grown way too big for its own good but for the most part is quite liveable for its size. I'm waiting for home prices to recover before I flee but that's going to be a while. To sum it up, I don't need to go elsewhere for shopping or services but for peace and beauty at least its fairly easy to get out of town after a half hour's worth of red lights and gridlock.

7. TopTop #7
    karenclark

Another thing to consider is living in West Santa Rosa where it is more affordable, but then getting an interdistrict transfer to take your kids to school in Sebastopol. The Sebastopol Union schools are fantastic and their enrollment is dropping so I bet if you ask nicely they'd let you in even if you lived in another area.

8. TopTop #8
    Sandy

The one problem I can see with that is the price of gas. Commuting to Sebastopol from S.R. might equal the difference in rent.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by funfelt: View Post
    Another thing to consider is living in West Santa Rosa where it is more affordable, but then getting an interdistrict transfer to take your kids to school in Sebastopol. The Sebastopol Union schools are fantastic and their enrollment is dropping so I bet if you ask nicely they'd let you in even if you lived in another area.

9. TopTop #9
    voxregalis

Take a drive and see what are the Good parts, bad parts, especially cool parts, especially un-cool parts…etc

here is a start:::

https://www.rentals.com/California/Santa-Rosa/

https://www.forrent.com/search-apart...did=5342537022&

https://www.apartmentguide.com/apart...ia/Santa-Rosa/

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ebbnflow: View Post
    Hello out there WaccoBB community, I was hoping I could get some advice. OK, so the rental market in Sebastopol sucks to infinity power. This is my second attempt to live there, but alas, it does not seem meant to be…Anyway, I need to expand my search or we will be living in the minivan pretty soon here. I am considering looking in Santa Rosa but I don’t know much about it... I was hoping some of you out there could give me the lowdown on the area. Good parts, bad parts, especially cool parts, especially un-cool parts…etc…I am a single mom with three school age kids, so a safe neighborhood and good schools are my priorities. Were living in West Marin right now so I want to get my bearings before I go driving up to look at anything...Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    ~Heidi*

10. TopTop #10
    hedgewitch_13

Hello,

I lived in Santa Rosa for 21 years. I just moved out to Sebastopol 6 months ago. I lived all over the Santa Rosa area and some areas are deffinately better than others. I'm sure with children you want an area that is safe and family friendly. Do not even bother with the Coddingtown area. There are a great deal of problems there; high crime and gang activity. Also, stay away from West Steele Ln.,the Fairgrounds and down on Santa Rosa Ave.;similar issues. The east side of Santa Rosa, around Howarth Park is very family friendly. Rincon Valley and Bennett Valley are also good. The McDonald Mansion district is beautiful, quiet and safe and there are some affordable rentals in this area that are very well-maintained. I've always liked the funky vibe of the JC area. Do keep in mind that there are a lot of college students in that area, but it's safe in general and has a pleasant atmosphere, good rental prices and great central location. The other area I would recommend as particularly family friendly would be the Montgomery Village area. Some areas would have not been considered the best in the past, like the Railroad district, but there have been much improvements to that area and even that has become a more family oriented community. I don't recommend right downtown in Santa Rosa...issues with break-ins. A lot of info to take in, I know. Hopefully, this will help you in your search.
    Last edited by Barry; 03-20-2008 at 09:42 PM.

11. TopTop #11
    Reportanddeport

Santa Rosa is NOT worth living in. It is infested with illegal aliens and strange, filthy, scary, homeless people roaming the streets. And the rents are ridiculosly expensive. And Santa Rosa is infested with gangs too. And Sonoma County has the highest "Death By Law Enforcement" rate in the state. Definitely avoid ROSELAND, where most people are illegal aliens and the gangs run wild. But take a drive through it and see the few houses of scared Americans with American flags nailed to their walls. And see the gang graffiti all over town. See the filthy anchor babies playing in the street as their parents ignore them. If you send your kids to school in Santa Rosa, they may or may not be taught in English. Get ready for a massive illegal alien demonstration on May 1. Last year, there were 10,000 illegal aliens marching in the streets. Sonoma County has the largest population of illegal aliens in Northern California. Don't expect to meet decent people or make friends in Santa Rosa, because most people are cold and uncaring.

12. TopTop #12
    debbus

I am a single mom-was very tentative about moving to santa rosa- but my daughter is in the art quest program at santa rosa high school ( a great program-she has 2 hours of dance everyday - in public school. It's very liberal and there is a lot of diversity there. Everyone seems to get along- which really impressed me. They also have art and music, drama, animation it's awesome. There is a brand new charter elementary school for the arts on Humboldt street if your kids are artistic. There are some good schools here so don't be swayed by some of the negative postings. I live in the JC area in a really nice 30's tudor. I feel safe here. Interestingly enough, my car was broken into in Sebastopol and my stereo stolen. Sebastopol is not 100% paradise. No place is perfect, but Santa Rosa is a fine place to raise kids.

13. TopTop #13
    ksewn

I lived in Sebastopol for 21 years and then Santa Rosa for the last 12 years. Stay away from the west side completely. The Northeast is best. Rincon Valley has good schools. The Proctor Terrace/Grace Tract area is my favorite and a really good place to raise kids. Good luck!

14. TopTop #14
    bellec

This racist diatribe has no place in a forum like this.

15. TopTop #15
    Braggi

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Reportanddeport: View Post
    ... Don't expect to meet decent people or make friends in Santa Rosa, because most people are cold and uncaring.
    "Ah, projection. It's a wonderful thing." Roger Walsh

-Jeff

16. TopTop #16
    Dark Shadows

Are you a product of the California school system? Such ignorance can only come from an extremely bad environment / education, maybe brain damage?

Santa Rosa is NOT worth living in. It is infested with illegal aliens and strange, filthy, scary, homeless people roaming the streets. And the rents are ridiculosly expensive. And Santa Rosa is infested with gangs too. And Sonoma County has the highest "Death By Law Enforcement" rate in the state. Definitely avoid ROSELAND, where most people are illegal aliens and the gangs run wild. But take a drive through it and see the few houses of scared Americans with American flags nailed to their walls. And see the gang graffiti all over town. See the filthy anchor babies playing in the street as their parents ignore them. If you send your kids to school in Santa Rosa, they may or may not be taught in English. Get ready for a massive illegal alien demonstration on May 1. Last year, there were 10,000 illegal aliens marching in the streets. Sonoma County has the largest population of illegal aliens in Northern California. Don't expect to meet decent people or make friends in Santa Rosa, because most people are cold and uncaring.

17. TopTop #17
    ladybug5

folks, relax.. this person obviously has a problem.. not worth getting all excited about..

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dark Shadows: View Post
    Are you a product of the California school system? Such ignorance can only come from an extremely bad environment / education, maybe brain damage?
    Is your dog having a good day? ~ www.gooddays.biz ~ [email protected]

18. TopTop #18
    Reportanddeport

It seems to me that personal attacks are best left to private posts and email. I don't like Santa Rosa, but I would never go personal on someone who did.

19. TopTop #19
    Braggi

You went personal on a whole city and subgroups of populations everywhere That's pretty lame in any context. Anytime you paint with a broad brush you risk criticism. When you go so ridiculously negative you make yourself not worth reading and subject to banning if enough people complain. Your post was pretty disgusting. If you've been ridiculed you earned it. That said, I agree that personal attacks don't belong here. So knock it off.

I'm sure that you've earned the "Ignore" button from a number of readers. That's pretty impressive with only two posts.

-Jeff

20. TopTop #20
    Reportanddeport

Since this appaeared in my mailbox, I figure it was aimed at me.

I don't know what's "racist" about giving my opinion of Santa Rosa. The person asked about Santa Rosa and I told her my opinion. If people like Santa Rosa, I'm happy for them. If I don't like Santa Rosa, I'm happy for ME. I started coming to Santa Rosa on a regular basis since I started attending the JC in 1989. And since that time, it has changed a LOT, and not for the better. I realize my not liking Santa Rosa upsets a lot of people, but I can't figure out WHY. If I had thought that expressing a dislike for Santa Rosa was against the forum rules, I would not have said anything in the first place.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by bellec: View Post
    This racist diatribe has no place in a forum like this.

21. TopTop #21
    Sandy

I am not sure how the WaccoBB works but I keep getting emails from replies from the post I responded to and now someone is yelling racist at me. I sure won't reply to any more queries on the net.
    Last edited by Sandy; 03-21-2008 at 04:56 PM.

22. TopTop #22
    AnnaLisaW

I'm sure there are a lot of people who don't like Santa Rosa. There are also those who don't like Healdsburg, Windsor, Sebastopol, Forestville, etc. To each his own.
    As for me I have lived in Windsor and Healdsburg and have friends all over the county. I have been living in Sonoma County for about 20 years and I love Santa Rosa. I live in one of the poorer, less desireable neighborhoods and wave hello to the drunks, druggies and homeless on my way into town. They treat me with the same courtesy I treat them. My neighbors come in all colors and several speak limited English. They laugh at my lousy Spanish and we communicate just fine. People in my neighborhood are friendly and we watch out for each other. As a result, I feel as safe here as I have in "nicer" areas. I moved here because I have a limited income and wanted to be where I could walk or ride a bike to the transit mall. The city busses are generally on time and run every 1/2 hour during business hours so I'm not pouring my paycheck into a gas tank every time I go out.
    There are good and bad sections of this city just like any other. As cities go, Santa Rosa is one of the best with several lovely parks, friendly people and a culturally diverse population. If you like cities, this is a good one.
    If you are considering living here, I recommend spending a day riding the busses. You may meet the dregs of each neighborhood on the bus, but it also gives you the opportuninty to meet the people who live here in a controlled environment.
    May you find the home that suits you best.
    AnnaLisa
    (Petaluma Hill Road)
    Last edited by AnnaLisaW; 03-20-2008 at 09:27 PM. Reason: clarity

23. TopTop #23
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sandy: View Post
    I am not sure how the WaccoBB works but I keep getting emails from replies from the post I responded to and now someone is yelling racist at me. I sure won't reply to any more queries on the net.
    Sandy, et al,

When you reply to a thread, you are subscribed for individual email updates for further replies on that thread by default. For more information about this, including how to change the default, see: How to change your subscription for a thread

So Reportanddeport wasn't responding to you personally, but rather you got an email update when they posted since you had already posted to this thread.

I must say I am also disturbed by Reportanddeport's post. Our guidelines call for being respectful:

Quote 5) BE RESPECTFUL: You are welcome to disagree with someone but you may not attack them in any way, either publicly or privately. This includes slurs against population groups. Also, any private email should remain private unless you have the author's permission to post it. If you receive inappropriate private email in response to your post on WaccoBB.net, please Contact Us.
    So Reportanddeport, if you want to continue to be welcomed here, please be more respectful.

24. TopTop #24
    santarosie

Santa Rosa has many good and some bad qualities. There are numerous nice parks and bike/hiking trails, community activities like athletics, classes, concerts, and farmers markets, beautiful natural features, decent shopping at a variety of economic levels, and friendly caring people. Check out the City of Santa Rosa, the Bohemian, and the Santa Rosa Junior College websites. Traffic is bad at certain times of day if you choose by design to spend a lot of time in your car driving around. I recommend finding home/school/work/activities that are all within 2-3 miles of each other. The bus system is pretty good. I manage to live car lite here, filling up my gas tank once or twice a month. Overall it is a nice place to live; pleasant, fun, and safe (as long as you use good common sense, there's crime and gangs in most places, learn how to be safe). Simply driving around in areas you are considering living at different times of the day will help a lot, and if you find an area you like, get out of the car, walk around, and talk to people.

I don't have kids in school, but the Mark West Area just north of Santa Rosa is reported to have good schools. I enjoy living in this area, the kids (mixed races and ethnicities) play together in the streets, in front of my house, in the parks and schoolyards, and by the creek which all reminds me of my childhood years. It's funny, the kids don't seem to care about their differences in color, language, and economic status. There are three duplexes for rent in Wikiup right now (if you don't mind the proximity to the fault zone) that go for around $1200 a month.

P.S.
    Reportanddeport,
    I would rather spend time chatting with a misfortunate "strange, scary, filthy, homeless person", or an honest, hard working "illegal alien" than you. Your paranoid, extremist, and antagonistic sort of stereotyping and hate-and-fear-mongering certainly smacks of racism, whether it is directly stated or implied. And it obviously doesn't sit well with this crowd.

Your finding that most people are cold and uncaring suggests that you are probably not someone who engenders a feeling of warmth and caring in others. Try treating people the way you'd like to be treated, and perhaps you'll find that good people are everywhere if you are respectful, compassionate, and kind as a matter of course.
    Last edited by santarosie; 03-21-2008 at 12:56 AM.

25. TopTop #25
    Reportanddeport

OK, I suggest you go to the downtown library any time they are open. Your friends will be hanging out there on the right side as you enter. You can cuddle with them and not me. Whatever makes you happy. Also, at the California Welcome Center on the extreme western edge of downtown by the railroad tracks, your friends will be there in the empty lot by the trees and laying on the grass at the tourist center most of the day. Spread your love with them and cuddle tight. Love and friendship is everywhere.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by santarosie: View Post
    Santa Rosa has many good and some bad qualities. There are numerous nice parks and bike/hiking trails, community activities like athletics, classes, concerts, and farmers markets, beautiful natural features, decent shopping at a variety of economic levels, and friendly caring people. Check out the City of Santa Rosa, the Bohemian, and the Santa Rosa Junior College websites. Traffic is bad at certain times of day if you choose by design to spend a lot of time in your car driving around. I recommend finding home/school/work/activities that are all within 2-3 miles of each other. The bus system is pretty good. I manage to live car lite here, filling up my gas tank once or twice a month. Overall it is a nice place to live; pleasant, fun, and safe (as long as you use good common sense, there's crime and gangs in most places, learn how to be safe). Simply driving around in areas you are considering living at different times of the day will help a lot, and if you find an area you like, get out of the car, walk around, and talk to people.

I don't have kids in school, but the Mark West Area just north of Santa Rosa is reported to have good schools. I enjoy living in this area, the kids (mixed races and ethnicities) play together in the streets, in front of my house, in the parks and schoolyards, and by the creek which all reminds me of my childhood years. It's funny, the kids don't seem to care about their differences in color, language, and economic status. There are three duplexes for rent in Wikiup right now (if you don't mind the proximity to the fault zone) that go for around $1200 a month.

P.S.
    Reportanddeport,
    I would rather spend time chatting with a misfortunate "strange, scary, filthy, homeless person", or an honest, hard working "illegal alien" than you. Your paranoid, extremist, and antagonistic sort of stereotyping and hate-and-fear-mongering certainly smacks of racism, whether it is directly stated or implied. And it obviously doesn't sit well with this crowd.

Your finding that most people are cold and uncaring suggests that you are probably not someone who engenders a feeling of warmth and caring in others. Try treating people the way you'd like to be treated, and perhaps you'll find that good people are everywhere if you are respectful, compassionate, and kind as a matter of course.

26. TopTop #26
    AnnaLisaW

Just a reminder:
    to add someone like reportanddeport to your ignore list, click on website reply and then click on the little button next to his name and choose the ignore option from the drop down menu.
    Cheers!

27. TopTop #27
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

And when you go to the Library, check out the Adult Literacy Services. I started volunteering for this program, which teaches people to read. There is always a waiting list of those who want to learn to read.

OK, I suggest you go to the downtown library any time they are open. Your friends will be hanging out there on the right side as you enter. You can cuddle with them and not me. Whatever makes you happy. Also, at the California Welcome Center on the extreme western edge of downtown by the railroad tracks, your friends will be there in the empty lot by the trees and laying on the grass at the tourist center most of the day. Spread your love with them and cuddle tight. Love and friendship is everywhere.

28. TopTop #28
    santarosie

I walk my dog all over Sonoma County, and stop to talk to people all the time, wherever I go. I often walk her by the California Welcome Center in Railroad Square, and many of the people I meet there are homeless, and are coming from or heading to the mission on Davis Street. It's a funny thing, my dog doesn't know they are homeless, and when they are friendly and stop to pet her, she doesn't treat them any different than visitors or residents who do have homes. She is a great judge or character, she occasionally encounters someone she doesn't like, and I keep my distance. I think dogs are pretty smart. We can learn a lot from them!

29. TopTop #29
    Reportanddeport

Anger, hatred, and disrespect for diversity of opinion. More reasons to avoid Santa Rosa.

30. TopTop #30
    ebbnflow

I would like to express my heartfelt gratitude to everyone out there who has responded to my post with so much positive information about Santa Rosa. I found a sweet little house on a quiet street in the JC, and a great charter school for my kids close by, so all is well…It’s been really comforting that so many people have had such good things to say about the area, which is exactly what I needed to hear. Obviously no place is perfect, I was merely looking for the positive aspects... I think it’s going to work out really well for us, and I couldn't have made this choice so comfortably if it weren’t for WaccoBB. Community is a beautiful thing…Thank you!

~Heidi*