Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    kcflowers

Help- I can't send emails to people on AOL

I need computer help! I can receive messages from people on AOL but I can't send any messages to AOL addresses, even if I am simply replying to a message. The mail comes back to me as undeliverable. Now I am beginning to have the same problem with comcast addresses. Does anyone know what is happening and how to fix it? Thanks for your help.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Braggi

Re: Help- I can't send emails to people on AOL

I've been using AOL over 20 years. I'm a charter member from years before they even let "IBM PCs" on because they didn't have enough graphics power to run the interface. It was MacConnect back then. All Macintosh.

In all that time I've never had trouble with email. They've had lots of problems of course, but email was always bulletproof. I never lost an email in 20 years.

Now I have several people who are getting their emails bounced sometimes and occasionally an email just disappears. I don't know what's going on.

My guess is that it is not an AOL problem but the symptom appears on the AOL system. You say it's now an issue with Comcast which adds to the complexity of the issue.

If you figure it out, please let us know. I'm in the process of dumping AOL as my primary email service because of the email problems. I can't afford to lose emails.

-Jeff

3. TopTop #3
    Juggledude

How apropos..

I just resent you an email which was sent Tuesday, been waiting eagerly for your reply..

So now you have two from me, chase them down as trouble shooting tools, if nothing else...

aah, the ubiquitous "you've got mail" is getting a little shaky with age, eh?

Royce

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Braggi: View Post
    I've been using AOL over 20 years. I'm a charter member from years before they even let "IBM PCs" on because they didn't have enough graphics power to run the interface. It was MacConnect back then. All Macintosh.

In all that time I've never had trouble with email. They've had lots of problems of course, but email was always bulletproof. I never lost an email in 20 years.

Now I have several people who are getting their emails bounced sometimes and occasionally an email just disappears. I don't know what's going on.

My guess is that it is not an AOL problem but the symptom appears on the AOL system. You say it's now an issue with Comcast which adds to the complexity of the issue.

If you figure it out, please let us know. I'm in the process of dumping AOL as my primary email service because of the email problems. I can't afford to lose emails.

-Jeff

4. TopTop #4
    Malene

This could be so many different issues its not even funny. I suspect you will need a physical technician / person in your office to figure it out.

However, I wont mind giving it a whirl. I will need some more information to even get me started.

What kind of computer do you have? I need information about the amount of memory your computer have, the operating system you use (IE windows XP, Vista, MacOS etc)

What email software program do you use?

What is your ISP? (IE when you write your email address you write [email protected]. I need to know what it says after your @)

Does this happen to all the emails you send to aol or only some?
    Does it happen to all the emails you send to comcast or only some?
    Does the email disappear with nothing further or do you actually get a bounce?
    If you get a bounce what does it say in the bounce? (it might be good if I could see one or two of the bounce back replies)

When was the last time you were able to send emails to aol and comcast respectively? Did you make changes to your computer in the week before you stopped being able to send those emails out?

What Anti Virus program do you have? When did you last update it?

Off the top of my head I can think of following possible reasons your emails doesnt get delivered. THis is in no way a complete list though.

1. You could have a virus that those ISP's see and then delete
    2. You could be on your ISP which might have a lot of spammers and aol / comcast have started to filter out emails from that ISP.
    3. You could inadvertently be using language that is seen as spam and the email gets filtered out.
    4. It is actually possible that something goes wrong on the side of your personal ISP or on aol's side. This would be server side and depending on your ISP it might be hard for us to do anything about. I am also on aol and has not experienced any problems at all.
    5. Maybe something totally different is going on on your computer. Do you have other computer related problems? Frequent computer freezes, slowness, crashes etc?

As you can see this isnt a simple question right off the top. Still with a bit of additional info I might be able to hone in on the reason.

Warm regards,
    Malene

Quote Posted in reply to the post by kcflowers: View Post
    I need computer help! I can receive messages from people on AOL but I can't send any messages to AOL addresses, even if I am simply replying to a message. The mail comes back to me as undeliverable. Now I am beginning to have the same problem with comcast addresses. Does anyone know what is happening and how to fix it? Thanks for your help.

5. TopTop #5
    Malene

Jeff - to start with check your security settings on aol. They might be too tight to let in all the emails that you want / need.

Malene

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Braggi: View Post

-Jeff