Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    silverhaze

Legal help needed for senior citizen arrested and brutalized by police

A senior woman I know was arrested for being next to the goodwill store . here is the circumstance. several trucks and vans were salvaging things that were unsaleable lying out in the alley way during the end of the day but store still open. Someone had pulled up and didnt want to unload their donations because the donation acceptance was closed and junk was overturned and wrecked and being scavenged by several peoples , both on foot and in vehicles. she asked the person if she could have a couple of containers and a beat up tool box that he had IN HIS pickup. He carried them to her car which was adjacent to the building as she has stopped there to shop for her grandchildren. this woman is disabled. she then prepared to enter the store when accosted by police, detained , and physically harmed by police by too tight handcuffs and they deliberately twisted her hand. they thought she was resisting because due to severe rhumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis cannot pull her arms all the way back nor readily put her hands on top of her head! The stores owner and her lover both claimed that a broken tool box and a couple of broken plastic items the police found in her vehicle were actually donations already donated. She was harassed for a bumper sticker which read gun control means both hands and let there be trees. they called backup . 4 police cars total to terrify this woman. the police officer finally released her after holding her in a squad car for an hour in a painful torqued twisted position. after dismissing the other officers HE patted HER down, accusing her of hiding weapons. also she is a medical cannibus patient and they raised hell about that too, although she had her card on her. they ridiculed her and laughed when her hand was twisted and bent back and she told them it hurt so much, saying" hahaha dont resist and it wont hurt". They made jokes about the personal items they found in her vehicle, read her mail and bank statements, and totally searched her vehicle turning all her important papers into a mountain of chaos. lotion containers were opened and poured out. afterwards she went to the hospital and was told she had acute tendonitis from the incident. this all happened last nite and even with vicodin she has been unable to sleep as yet. she has a court date for the 21st of february. the arresting officer did not sign his name or badge number on the citation. suggestions anyone? please no scolding about her being at the side of the building. she did not take anything that belonged to the store. she was asking for someone to come and take an engine block for salvage from her garage , so that took some minutes. since she was the only one there when the police came she was blamed and charged with petty left. the female store manager and her female lover were both obviously under influence of methamphetamine or similar substance. how can we help this woman out. She still has visible welts from last night on both wrists from the cuffs! yes someone took photos of the welts. She is very shaken up, she also has a severe depression condition for which she takes medications.
    Last edited by silverhaze; 01-16-2008 at 10:55 AM. Reason: more info more more info
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Malene

Re: Legal help needed for senior citizen arrested and brutalized by police

I am so sorry this lady got hurt. The system is often not fair, or right.

I am wondering after reading your post - what is your goal? To sue the police and get some money for the lady? To have the police say that they are sorry? To get attention to police misuse of power? Or something else? Does the lady now need to pay medical bills she would not other wise have making you want the police to pay those bills? What end goal would you like to see?

I think its important to determine what it is you want to do.

If you simply want the police to say they are sorry I would start by obtaining the police report of the incident. Then get the medical records, and go to the Lieutenant or Chief of Police of the police station. Working within the system to begin with shows good faith and it might get you what you want - blue wall and all.

If you want money for the lady I would obtain the medical records, the police record of the incident, and start to call local lawyers. Someone might be willing to take the case on an contingency.

If you want to draw public attention to the situation you might want to call the press democrat.

Warm regards,
    Malene

Quote Posted in reply to the post by silverhaze: View Post
    A senior woman I know was arrested for being next to the goodwill store . here is the circumstance. several trucks and vans were salvaging things that were unsaleable lying out in the alley way during the end of the day but store still open. Someone had pulled up and didnt want to unload their donations because the donation acceptance was closed and junk was overturned and wrecked and being scavenged by several peoples , both on foot and in vehicles. she asked the person if she could have a couple of containers and a beat up tool box that he had IN HIS pickup. He carried them to her car which was adjacent to the building as she has stopped there to shop for her grandchildren. this woman is disabled. she then prepared to enter the store when accosted by police, detained , and physically harmed by police by too tight handcuffs and they deliberately twisted her hand. they thought she was resisting because due to severe rhumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis cannot pull her arms all the way back nor readily put her hands on top of her head! The stores owner and her lover both claimed that a broken tool box and a couple of broken plastic items the police found in her vehicle were actually donations already donated. She was harassed for a bumper sticker which read gun control means both hands and let there be trees. they called backup . 4 police cars total to terrify this woman. the police officer finally released her after holding her in a squad car for an hour in a painful torqued twisted position. after dismissing the other officers HE patted HER down, accusing her of hiding weapons. also she is a medical cannibus patient and they raised hell about that too, although she had her card on her. they ridiculed her and laughed when her hand was twisted and bent back and she told them it hurt so much, saying" hahaha dont resist and it wont hurt". They made jokes about the personal items they found in her vehicle, read her mail and bank statements, and totally searched her vehicle turning all her important papers into a mountain of chaos. lotion containers were opened and poured out. afterwards she went to the hospital and was told she had acute tendonitis from the incident. this all happened last nite and even with vicodin she has been unable to sleep as yet. she has a court date for the 21st of february. the arresting officer did not sign his name or badge number on the citation. suggestions anyone? please no scolding about her being at the side of the building. she did not take anything that belonged to the store. she was asking for someone to come and take an engine block for salvage from her garage , so that took some minutes. since she was the only one there when the police came she was blamed and charged with petty left. the female store manager and her female lover were both obviously under influence of methamphetamine or similar substance. how can we help this woman out. She still has visible welts from last night on both wrists from the cuffs! yes someone took photos of the welts. She is very shaken up, she also has a severe depression condition for which she takes medications.

3. TopTop #3
    Karen S.

I am sorry to hear about what happened to your friend. But I am pleased that you shared her experiences on this board. I am part of a local coalition working on police abuse issues. We meet once a month in Santa Rosa. We are also starting a clinic to help people file complaints against police officers. We are keeping our own records so that we can learn how much of this sort of thing is going on and also to track abusive officers. If you or your friend would like to talk to me, call me at 876-3502. Karen S.

4. TopTop #4
    nicofrog

I am in complete support of this woman.I haver had many bad incounters with the good will under similar circumstances.I would like us to know WHICH goodwill outlet you were referring to. I shop at many thrifts and goodwills regularly, they receive MILLIONS of dollars in donations,goodwill in San Rafael alone had a 10,000 dollar a year dumpster bill,discarding mostly perfectly GOOD items,being located very near the homeless distribution center, many people were yelled at for salvaging items from the dumpsters, I guess the greedy,selfish,dweebs who run good-will are afraid they will only make 99million a year instead of 100 if the homeless don't have to buy everything inside. I question Laws concerning trash can invasion. If someone gave her an item directly from their car there is nothing good will can say about it, If indeed she was picking things up off the ground, SO WHAT, thrift stores often maintain huge messes at their collection centers, anything picked up is one thing they don't have to pay to dump.I've had it with these scavengers acting so high and mighty,people who work in those places mostly have big purses,or boxes in their cars and are constantly stealing "collectables" to try to sell on ebay.The guy in Marin who founded"toys for tots" was a toy collector,"for tots" indeed,he had rooms full of stuff in the back he was taking home. These people are the diseased underbody of our deranged consumerist society,I have more respect for the people living on top of the Mexico City Dump.
    My guess is the cops will drop charges and assume your friend will just be glad to walk free,I hope she sues them for $10,000 for emotional damages,and goodwill another10 for slander or whatever.
    El Frogo

A senior woman I know was arrested for being next to the goodwill store . ...
    Last edited by Barry; 01-17-2008 at 03:27 PM.

5. TopTop #5
    Toxic Reverend

Resource;

The IDRISS STELLEY FOUNDATION
    A nonprofit organization created through the settlement
    of Idriss Stelley's vs. City & County and SFPD case and its
    allocation to his mother Mesha Monge-Irizarry. Her only
    child, 23 African American honor student was killed by
    SFPD at the SF Sony Metreon on June 13, 2001, 48 shots,
    9 officers, as he stood alone in an empty theater.
    The Idriss Stelley's case is at the root of the
    40-HR mandatory
    San Francisco Police Departments
    Mental Health Training,
    https://mysite.verizon.net/vzeo9ewi/idrissstelleyfoundation/

Mesha is a "police accountability advocate" that kicks butt - TR

6. TopTop #6
    pjpete

About a year and a half ago, around the corner here in High School road, the two Sheriff Deputies shot dead a 16 year old student from Analy High. No real good reason for the shooting, except he didn't want to be taken to the hospital. And was rebelling against racist treatment by a step father.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Toxic Reverend: View Post
    Resource;

The IDRISS STELLEY FOUNDATION
    A nonprofit organization created through the settlement
    of Idriss Stelley's vs. City & County and SFPD case and its
    allocation to his mother Mesha Monge-Irizarry. Her only
    child, 23 African American honor student was killed by
    SFPD at the SF Sony Metreon on June 13, 2001, 48 shots,
    9 officers, as he stood alone in an empty theater.
    The Idriss Stelley's case is at the root of the
    40-HR mandatory
    San Francisco Police Departments
    Mental Health Training,
    https://mysite.verizon.net/vzeo9ewi/idrissstelleyfoundation/

Mesha is a "police accountability advocate" that kicks butt - TR