Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Braggi

Affordable solar ends the argument

https://www.news.com/8301-11128_3-98...ml?tag=newsmap

Nanosolar has begun shipping its flexible copper indium gallium arsenide based solar panels. This company is setting the stage for the end of the argument about solar being too expensive compared to other energy generation systems. Right now a 200 watt photo voltaic panel costs about $1,000. Nanosolar proposes that its price will drop to as low as $1 a watt once production ramps up to capacity. Although I will be surprised if it gets that cheap, the dramatic drop in prices will usher in the era of affordable solar arrays for everyone.

Now, what if California developed a plan to cover over the north to south California aqueduct with a huge solar array? The world's largest solar power plant, 444 miles long, producing enough power to create that row of hydrogen fueling stations our governor envisioned as he was running for office.

Nanosolar is a California company. It makes perfect sense for California to set up a power system owned by the people of California, made from parts produced in California by our own citizens. We'd never again be at the mercy of Texas power companies or any corporate power companies. We could become a net power exporter. We have the technology.

I'm dreaming, I know.

-Jeff
    Last edited by Braggi; 12-18-2007 at 12:56 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    don
    Founding Member

Re: Affordable solar ends the argument

Hey Jeff
    I love the idea of "what if California developed a plan to cover over the north to south California aqueduct with a huge solar array?" It would also reduce water loss by blocking solar gain and resulting evaporation.
    Cheers
    don

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Braggi: View Post
    https://www.news.com/8301-11128_3-98...ml?tag=newsmap

Nanosolar has begun shipping its flexible copper indium gallium arsenide based solar panels. This company is setting the stage for the end of the argument about solar being too expensive compared to other energy generation systems. Right now a 200 watt photo voltaic panel costs about $1,000. Nanosolar proposes that its price will drop to as low as $1 a watt once production ramps up to capacity. Although I will be surprised if it gets that cheap, the dramatic drop in prices will usher in the era of affordable solar arrays for everyone.

Now, what if California developed a plan to cover over the north to south California aqueduct with a huge solar array? The world's largest solar power plant, 444 miles long, producing enough power to create that row of hydrogen fueling stations our governor envisioned as he was running for office.

Nanosolar is a California company. It makes perfect sense for California to set up a power system owned by the people of California, made from parts produced in California by our own citizens. We'd never again be at the mercy of Texas power companies or any corporate power companies. We could become a net power exporter. We have the technology.

I'm dreaming, I know.

-Jeff

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #3
    PaulThomasCotati

Nice dream =
    I love functional solutions with existing wasted space.

6. TopTop #4
    Braggi

I've tried to locate data on how much water is lost to evaporation on the trip south. One estimate I found was 8%, but another just said it was far above that number.

My idea for the solar plant grew out of finding an economical method of shading the aqueduct which I've been thinking about for ... well, 25 years. Sometimes I'm a little slow with solutions, but I think this is a good one.

-Jeff

PS. The governor who begins this project will be immortalized in California history. Listening Gropenfurer?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by don: View Post
    Hey Jeff
    I love the idea of "what if California developed a plan to cover over the north to south California aqueduct with a huge solar array?" It would also reduce water loss by blocking solar gain and resulting evaporation.
    Cheers
    don

7. Gratitude expressed by:

8. TopTop #5
    sundave22

Solar aquaduct, nice dream :) Re:flexible copper indium gallium arsenide based; doesn't sound "green" ,Don;t make them here...