Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    beoutsidemore

Looking for a charity to support?

Spring 2008

To Whom This May Concern:

Eight years ago, at a summer camp in Northern California, a friend and I sat at a campfire talking about something that was missing in the world; and the conversation lead to the notion of introducing it. Lifeschool was born of two simple concepts. First, all children deserve the fundamental resources they need to grow into healthy, independent, responsible adults. Second, today’s children are deprived of many of those resources, including time spent in nature, and we had to do something about it. Our program was to have one key distinction: Lifeschool would focus on the positive, the potential and the possibilities within youth, refusing to look only at deficits, such as low test scores, as other programs we had observed seemed to do too much of.

Lifeschool has engaged, over the eight years, organizations, individuals and communities across the San Francisco Bay Area in this critical work for our common future. We’ve lead over 1500 youth up mountains, across deserts, down rivers and into oceans in every western state & Costa Rica. We’ve created close to 100 pages of curriculum published in our field handbook. We’ve enlisted the support of companies such as Patagonia, The North Face, Mountain Hardware, REI and Toyota. We’ve recruited some of the best in their fields to volunteer on our Board of Directors. In a short time, Lifeschool has accomplished a lot.

Yet, as the donor report available for viewing on our website (https://lifeschooladventures.org/Investor2008.pdf ) makes clear, much more hard work remains.

Current research showsthat less than one in three of our young people are receiving enough developmental resources to be confident of success. But this report also offers a way forward: strategies, priorities and results-oriented, practical solutions. It shows us that, when children receive programs like Lifeschool, we will see higher high school graduation rates, more college enrollment, fewer teen pregnancies, fewer young lives destroyed by drugs, and fewer young people involved in and victimized by crime.

Lifeschool is at a critical juncture and urgently in need of funding to fulfill our mission. Our current capital campaign aims to raise $250,000 to better serve disadvantaged youth. Our expansion goal aims to double our number of students in the next 2-3 years. There are literally millions of kids out there who need our help and without your financial support, their chances for success are slim. Please review this report, and consider making a contribution today.

-Jim Nevill
    Executive Director / Founder

A few words from Lifeschool kids...

"I want to thank you for giving me the opportunity to attend Lifeschool. I have learned so much from the experience that I know I will carry with me for the rest of my life. Without the scholarship support you gave me I would never have been able to attend this great trip"

"On day four, we hiked 7.5 miles, it was pretty hard, but when we finished I had an overwhelming sense of achievement and I realized that I would not have been able to complete this trip the way I did without the support of the people around me."

"A highlight experience that improved my self-esteem and challenged myself would be the bouldering part of the trip.That experience also challenged my problem-solving abilities and caused me to think outside the box."

"Being away from home and around a lot of positive energy made me so much happier than I have been in a long time. It's good to get away and see other aspects of life and I hope I can take that happiness home with me."

5 Ways to Give

1. Secure online gift at www.goadventure.org

2. Credit card gift by calling 707-876-3071

3. Check made payable to Lifeschool

4. Monthly Giving Program:

You provide donations directly from your credit card to Lifeschool over an extended period of time. Monthly contributions will begin on the date of your first contribution and continue as long as you wish. You can change, suspend or cancel your gift at any time. Your credit card statement serves as your receipt and you will receive an annual statement at the end of the year.

5. Planned Giving:

It is never too early to consider a planned gift to benefit the mission of Lifeschool. Listed are some of the most common and easy ways that you can choose to leave your legacy. (Bequests, Charitable Trusts, Life Insurance Policy, IRAs/Retirement Plans)

Last edited by beoutsidemore; 04-25-2008 at 04:37 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by: