Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #31
    Sabrina

Re: Expired Food at Grocery Outlet

VERY VERY well said Shandi. Any one who doesn't see this perspective has not been poor enough to know. And if you've not been poor enough to know, maybe these statements touch your heart, and... could I get a little help about now? Thanks!

[QUOTE=Shandi;171621]Let's consider why people shop at discount places, like Grocery Outlet, and even buy outdated food items:

1. They aren't making a "living" wage, so any food is better than no food,especially when you have children to feed.
    2. They're homeless, and don't have a job, but are able to get a small amount of food stamps that has to stretch
    for a month.
    3. They're a senior living on social security of $1000 a month or less, paying rent for a room, which leaves
    them $300-400 for food, non foods, gas, car insurance. How does your income compare?
    4. They "dumpster dive" for food when they're hungry, and aren't paying attention to dates if they're lucky enough to
    buy something at Grocery Outlet.

The old saying "beggars can't be choosers" may ring a bell, but if you've never been in that position, you can
    afford to be indignant that people would eat outdated foods.

Some of us who live in America are insulated from the lives of people who would be thrilled to get outdated food, to keep them alive.

Who's old enough to remember that we didn't always have dates on food? We used our eyes and nose to detect if
    something was bad.

Have you checked your refrigerator lately? How do you know when the food is out dated? Now, who can you blame for this? Someone in your family might eat it, since it doesn't have an expiration date on it.

Your perspective is related to your financial situation, but that can change at any time, like it has for millions of Americans.

I think the quality of compassion is more important than the dates on food that many people have to overlook to stay alive, and yes through no choice of their own, "unhealthy".

Sometimes true empathy only comes from experiencing the thing that we judge as "disgusting" in others.

[QUOTE=Quality IsAlways Best;171[/QUOTE]
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #32
    The A Team
    Supporting Member

This thread is intensified by the possibility of SNAP funding being cut in the $ billions., so I want to add this:

For those without yards to grow food in I strongly suggest joining a community garden, even if you are not physically able to garden. In our garden we had people join aged 16-99 of all abilities. It is one of the best ways to get free "live" food with plenty of delicious nutrients. We started a garden in a Santa Rosa park - yes! were told it couldn't be done. For $0 a year, in 1-2 hours a week! in a 14 foot space, we got 2-6 grocery bags full of food per week per person, (plus herbs)

If you are lucky enough to live in the west county with its gorgeous, loamy soil ,anything grows.
    To find a community garden near you look at iGrow:
    https://www.igrowsonoma.org/gardens

p.s. fruit and veg grow all year round in this area.

4. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

5. TopTop #33
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    Have you checked your refrigerator lately? How do you know when the food is out dated? Now, who can you blame for this? Someone in your family might eat it, since it doesn't have an expiration date on it.
    check this to see what those dates mean. There's no need to destroy perfectly useful food - or to discourage those who are attracted by discounts from buying it. Unfortunately, there's no way to determine whether food's safe to eat based on information provided by the manufacturer or store. That's not the purpose of the dates on the packages. Any argument over the health benefits or harms inherent in packaged foods can be carried on independently of date labeling.... and the failures of our country's food policies go way beyond allowing past-date items to be sold.

6. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

7. TopTop #34
    cabito

Re: Expired Food - my preference.

I vote for "packed /processed on" dates. At least it's true, accurate information, unlike the alternatives. It's done with eggs, meat, bagged produce, etc. Yes, the burden falls on us to use common sense. I have no problem with G. O. - I go there frequently because I like bargains.

8. Gratitude expressed by:

9. TopTop #35
    Shandi

Thank you so much for providing this source of clarity, in this sea of consumer confusion.

Safety isn't guaranteed by package dates. Unfortunately, we have no guarantees on our safety. In addition, at any time, we can develop a severe allergic reaction, like lactose intolerance.

We hear of food poisoning from eating at restaurants. My roommate got very sick yesterday, after eating something at a festival. I've had the same experience.

Life is risky.....but FEAR and PARANOIA is riskier to our health than almost anything we choose to eat.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by podfish: View Post
    check this to see what those dates mean. There's no need to destroy perfectly useful food - or to discourage those who are attracted by discounts from buying it. Unfortunately, there's no way to determine whether food's safe to eat based on information provided by the manufacturer or store. That's not the purpose of the dates on the packages. Any argument over the health benefits or harms inherent in packaged foods can be carried on independently of date labeling.... and the failures of our country's food policies go way beyond allowing past-date items to be sold.

10. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

11. TopTop #36
    sebastacat

Right on, Podfish!

Everything you said is absolutely true.

And to this, I will add that several countries other than the U.S. do NOT even have "expiration dates" on several food products.

This reminds me of something I saw on the nightly news a few years back, when this very same issue was brought to the attention of the news-production team.

So they turned to their resident expert: The chief health officer for the City and County of San Francisco, who said that several products were still fit for human consumption LONG AFTER their expiration dates had expired, and that it is up to us, the consumers, to see if a can is buckled, assess the looks of the food, smell it, etc.

Also, he said something else which I found both interesting and amusing: When asked about consuming something with an expiration date which expired ten years before the date of desired consumption, he said something to the effect of: If I were hungry, sure, I'd eat it! (This is not an exact quote, but is related as best as I can remember it.)

As far as a lack of availability of healthful eating choices at Grocerly Outlet, I will state that it's a crapshoot. Sometimes, they have several healthful selections, and sometimes very few. For example, I have purchased excellent Cascadian Farms granola there on one occasion, only to go back and be disappointed that it is no longer available. The same is true with the Tom's no-fluoride toothpaste, which was available for half the price that it was being sold for at Whole Foods.

But then again, there are several sugary and syrupy selections in the breakfast department that literally make me recoil and gag.

One thing that I WILL say is that the staff at the Rohnert Park store has ALWAYS been very friendly and helpful on the occasions that I have patronized that store, and it has been appreciated.

Yes, we can complain about expired expiration dates and unhealthful food selections, but as Shandi correctly points out, The Grocery Outlet serves a very important purpose in offering a wide variety of groceries to several people in this county who might not otherwise be able to afford them - and for giving some of us the chance to find a few healthful bargains.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by podfish: View Post

12. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

13. TopTop #37
    eric

Definition of puttanesca in English
    puttanesca
    Syllabification: (put·ta·nes·ca)
    Pronunciation: /ˌpo͞otəˈneskə, ˌpo͞otnˈeskə/
    adjective:

denoting a pasta sauce typically including tomatoes, garlic, olives, and anchovies:
    pasta puttanesca
    Origin:

Italian, from puttana 'prostitute' (the sauce is said to have been devised by prostitutes as one that could be cooked quickly between clients' visits)

...................................................................................................................................................... ....................
    No need to wonder why some folks would be offended by this term... It sounds quite tasty though...

14. TopTop #38
    Buzztv

Hi, I used to manage a large Grocery Outlet Bargain market for 5 years. Each operator is responsible for their store. Corporate is against selling expired food. The operators are supposed to reduce the price for a quick sale Pryor to exp date. I know in the store i ran, we would reduce the price for example , yogurt. Exp in one to two days for 10 for a dollar. Any expired dates we would pull. There is no reason to sell expired food. I just shopped at a Grocery Outlet in Sun Valley Ca. I was devestated to see so many items past date. I know for a fact dairy and freezer sits out for quite a while as they have to open and scan in each box on the pallet and check it off a receiving list. There for , yes half thawed and dairy half warm and then rolled out to be displayed in the consumer freezer or fridge. As i was there tonight there was a item that contained some organic matter that was on sale, i found the only box that expired tomorrow. All the rest where 2 weeks over. At the register i was telling the cashier and the female operator turned around and said, "well I guess you got lucky then"! Lucky for her I know what corporate expects from their operators, and lucky for her that this company whos product she was selling 2 weeks past expired will pull all there products from their shelves, because expired means excactly that. She as all the other operators of this store are supposed to have a area that hold their items that are marked down due to super close expiring dated or damaged.

Just because we cant afford to shop at the more expensive grocery retailers, does not mean we should have to feed ourselves or our children expired food. We arent bottom of the barrel people and shouldnt be treated as such. It shows that the operator of the store does not think much of their customers. I was lucky to manage for a operator with high standards and cared about the product he sold to each and evey person as I did. Yes G.O buys close dated items to sell at a discount, not expired items. You are right to complain to whoever you wish, because they should of marked those items down before they expired instead of being greedy, as some families would of loved to purchase them if not expired. I know the stored hates to mark things down cuz then people will wait for the date to get close knowing the price will be reduced. But on the other hand the store should not order 4 cases and think , owell we will just sell it past the date. Plus I did notice A LOT of mark-ups from what the order guide had the items priced at. Believe me nothing is priced below a 30 percent margin. Operators have that choice to do so.

And in Sun Valley I noticed their prices were actually more than the surrounding stores. Which saddens me as I bragged about the store and was so excited they finally opened up several here in L A. But its very important that corporate is made aware of the doings of the operators. When the stores know corporate is coming they are on their best behavior and all expired product is pulled. when the cat is away the A**hat operator will make you pay. Oh did i say that wrong?. Lol. Well its true. So people, because you do not have a lot of money does not mean you are less of a person and deserve to be sold expired food. You deserve and your children deserve better and its in the hands of the operator of that store. You arent less so don't settle for less. Corporate pays for every item in that store so the operator is not losing. Its just plain greed, lack of standards and compassion for you the customer.
    Last edited by Barry; 09-16-2017 at 09:03 AM.

15. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

16. TopTop #39
    Shandi

I always check dates, and then make a decision about whether to buy or not, depending on what the item is, and how long it might sit before I eat it.

I wonder how the incidence of people getting sick from outdated food compares to the number of people who get food poisoning from fast food places and upscale restaurants. I avoid eating out more than I avoid outdated foods. There was a time when I dumpster dived for produce, because I was unable to work. Many times all I had to do was cut off a portion of a fruit or vegetable that was rotten.

Since I always check dates, I've seen outdated things at almost every grocery store. I've also seen rotten produce in bags, and brought it to the attention of the produce person.

I also remember a time when there was no dated food. How did we survive? We used our eyes and noses!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Buzztv;215336:
    Hi, I used to manage a large Grocery Outlet Bargain market for 5 years. Each operator is responsible for their store. Corporate is against selling expired food. The operators are supposed to reduce the price for a quick sale Pryor to exp date. ...