Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    LoveLovesCompany

alternatives to mental health counselling

hoping someone will have a piece of advice for me. i've been feeling very "off" and disassociated lately, and have gone through several life changes very abruptly (moving across the country from the east coast, new dramatic change of occupation, deaths of family members/friends, a car accident). I think I'm just generally having a hard time adjusting and understanding my environment at the moment, to the extent that I would like to seek help. i can't afford mental health counselling and don't really self-medicate, so considering looking to the spiritual realm or some other form of communion and communication for solace... Does anyone have any tips on what kind of resources might be available or particular avenues to consider? I don't really know anyone or anything around the area at all yet, so please inform, even if something seems like common knowledge to you! thanks so much - i'm so glad this network is here!
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2

Re: alternatives to mental health counselling

Quote Posted in reply to the post by LoveLovesCompany: View Post
    i can't afford mental health counselling and don't really self-medicate, so considering looking to the spiritual realm or some other form of communion and communication for solace...

Finding a supportive spiritual community is a great idea, there are several very progressive churches in Sonoma County, but if you're going through a difficult time I think an even better idea is to see a counselor and find a church too.

The Lomi Clinic offers counseling on a sliding scale, even if you have no money at all, contact them, they can probably still help;
    https://www.lomi.org/clinic/about_clinic.html

And here are two well established, grounded, liberal, progressive, large spiritual communities, I know there's more in Sonoma County but these are a good start in your search;

The Center for Spiritual Living
    https://www.srcrs.org/

The Unitarian Universalist Congregation
    https://www.uusantarosa.org/

3. TopTop #3
    Kunnskaping

It sounds like you have landed in a place with amazing possibilities for big, new directions in life. The hard part is that this has come about by losing several pillars of your previous place and pattern in the world.

Many years ago, I was a guinea pig for a program put together by an acquaintance who went through a big transition not unlike yours (suddenly divorced, isolated, lost a job, not much money, car broke down, . . .) and used it as an opportunity to focus on understanding and loving herself while building a new and better life without dropping the ball on day to day responsibilities. The basics were to pay attention to what makes you tick, make a priority of treating yourself to the nutrition, sleep, social interaction, treasures, thoughts, and sensory experiences that work for you at least a few times each day, and start building a picture of how you want to live and the things you can do to move closer to that reality over the months and years ahead. Keeping in mind that this is a process that takes time but gets better and better once you have a vision and some sort of plan is important.

There are many programs that make use of this practical approach to building a new and better life. Pam's was called Clarity Quest. If you are interested in checking that out, you can buy a used copy of her book, which is pretty good, for only $4, including shipping, on Amazon. One of the things I like about Pam's approach is that it leaves room for you to build in all of your spiritual and philosophical beliefs and practices without pushing any particular world view or dogma.

I think the suggestions to seek out free (or bartered) counseling and care and start plugging into various social networks are great, too. Just showing up at interesting events with like minded people could land you in a whole new field of opportunities and a community of people who understand how to live and learn from dramatic events, such as those you are experiencing today. If you give yourself a little structure and some rewards to keep yourself moving in the direction of love and understanding, even when it's hard to move at all, perhaps you will be able to turn today's hardships into the roots of the sort of life enhancing resources you are seeking. I hope so.

hoping someone will have a piece of advice for me. i've been feeling very "off" and disassociated lately, and have gone through several life changes very abruptly (moving across the country from the east coast, new dramatic change of occupation, deaths of family members/friends, a car accident). I think I'm just generally having a hard time adjusting and understanding my environment at the moment, to the extent that I would like to seek help. i can't afford mental health counselling and don't really self-medicate, so considering looking to the spiritual realm or some other form of communion and communication for solace... Does anyone have any tips on what kind of resources might be available or particular avenues to consider? I don't really know anyone or anything around the area at all yet, so please inform, even if something seems like common knowledge to you! thanks so much - i'm so glad this network is here!

4. TopTop #4
    Magick

Welcome! i am a tarot counselor and I do readings for people in your situation regularly.
    I have been practicing for 23 years and do readings at the Infusions Tea Shop in the Whole Foods Shopping Center in downtown Sebastopol. You will find me there most weekday afternoons after 1pm for a drop-in or you can make an appointment in my home or the shop.
    The tarot is an excellent guide as it is, in a sense, a map or book of life's archetypal exoeriences. It helps you out of the place where we keep asking why this is happening and unlocks the key lessons that are currently being presented to you via your circumstances.
    I will help you to receive confirmation on the soul level and empower you with tools from the ancient wisdom schools about how to navigate your landscape.
    I am well versed in Astrology, NUmerlogy, Jungian psychology, and the Kabbala which I interface to create a deep and meaningful refelction of your journey.
    I am well known in the community and love to serve all on their path to peace. Blessings,Magick 707 824 1394.
    website www.magicktarot.com

5. TopTop #5

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Magick: View Post
    The tarot is an excellent guide as it is, in a sense, a map or book of life's archetypal exoeriences. It helps you out of the place where we keep asking why this is happening...
    I didn't hear the original poster asking 'why this keeps happening', he or she is grieving the deaths of family members while trying to adjust to a completely new community and career. You don't need tarot cards or a 'reading' to know that he or she needs the support that he or she clearly asked for, and that a 'reading' can not provide.

6. TopTop #6
    kgsharp

Dear Magick,

I have been using Fiona Morgan's Tarot Cards for twenty years of

more. It gives me accurate reading of my feelings and circumstances

as I have a disability reading non-verbal communication and the

cards are most helpful..

I see a psychotherapist and she helps with the day to day stuff

aand the fact that I have been grieving my sister's death..

love to you

flo

7. TopTop #7
    Barbara Moulton

For "LoveLovesCompany", another progressive spiritual community is Redwood Forest Friends Meeting (Quakers). Not therapy, just good folks. They usually have about 40-60 people at worship Sunday mornings at 10 a.m., 1647 Guerneville Road. 578-3327. They also have other ongoing activities. (As you may have guessed, I go there.) A second and smaller group is Appleseed Friends Meeting in Sebastopol. They meet Sunday, 10 a.m. at the Garzot/Duffield Bldg in Libby Park, corner of Valentine and Pleasant Hill.

There are also lots of Buddhists around, who I find quite wonderful.

May your search lead you to healing and happiness.

8. TopTop #8
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Does anyone have any tips on what kind of resources might be available or particular avenues to consider?
    Good for you, LoveLovesCompany, for asking for help, and I must say I am pleased with the compassionate responses you have received from our community!

I have found some solace during difficult times doing the Dances of Universal Peace (aka Sufi dances). They are very sweet and wonderful! The dances are simple and are taught prior to each dance, are encompanied by lovely live music, and only a small donation is requested and no one is turned away for lack of funds. They can be very helpful it letting go of your troubles for a bit and reconnecting to others and source. Zikr is also very wonderful! You can find a schedule of local Sufi events at https://sufisonoma.org/

May you find peace!

9. TopTop #9
    terriann

Clancy,

You didn't hear the original poster asking 'why this keeps happening', because s/he didn't. You miss-quoted Magik and so your point is pointless. Magik wrote, "It helps you out of the place where we keep asking why". Asking why is a very useful exercise, because it leads to discovery. But if we are stuck and can't seem to move into discovery, we seek the means to get ourselves unstuck. And for some people tarot works and can be part of a solution.

--Terriann

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Clancy: View Post
    I he or she is grieving the deaths of family members while trying to adjust to a completely new community and career. You don't need tarot cards or a 'reading' to know that he or she needs the support that he or she clearly asked for, and that a 'reading' can not provide.

10. TopTop #10

The poster didn't say she was stuck, and she didn't say she keeps asking why. She clearly knows why she's feeling the way she's feeling and she clearly said she is looking for solace and communion. I don't want to sully this thread with a discussion about the questionable merits of tarot cards, but offering a reading (presumably for a fee) in this circumstance seemed inappropriate, to say the least, to me.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by terriann: View Post
    ...Magik wrote, "It helps you out of the place where we keep asking why". Asking why is a very useful exercise, because it leads to discovery. But if we are stuck and can't seem to move into discovery, we seek the means to get ourselves unstuck. And for some people tarot works and can be part of a solution.

--Terriann

11. TopTop #11
    LoveLovesCompany

Thanks so much, everyone, for all your input! I've been reading each reply carefully and taking note of your suggestions, and they are all wonderful. I'm so happy to be part of a community that is so compassionate and giving that they would take the time to read and respond to my message. I was unsure at first but now am definitely glad I posted here, as I've now got this new bank of resources, so to speak, to draw upon for support, communion and solace. Just wanted to take this chance to let you know I appreciate it and am so grateful.

12. TopTop #12
    Rucira

well this is a very impersonal world we live in, even with all the talk of the warmth and wonder of this friendly sonoma county new age saturation, still it takes a lot of courage and strength to dig in enough to begin to feel remotely welcome, does it seem. since the material world is not really our true home, there is no cause for dismay. feel free to contact me for advice and friendship. If u want to go the route of trying cannibus for a little medicinal purposes, I can assist u in that way as well. I am in the ministry of the spiritual realm. So mote it be. Rucira 707 416-3208

13. TopTop #13
    nicofrog

Hi Loves;
    You might want to check out the co-counseling community also known as R.C. or the re-evaluation counseling community.
    This is an international organization that encourages peer counseling
    that has been around since the late 50's Started by a man named Harvey Jackins. I was in co- c. for years, it is a great tradition with probably more successes to chalk up the the whole of the mental health establishment combined for the simple reason that there is more safety in counseling each other than going to someone superior to you.It's easy to learn, classes are cheap or free, and you can soon become a teacher or community leader
    that in itself can help you stay above "your stuff" there is always absolute confidentiality. There are area reference persons for every county in the country,I could probably find you a Sonoma cnty one.It's kind of like emotional Ai Ki Do. good luck Nico

14. TopTop #14
    AllEars

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Clancy: View Post
    The poster didn't say she was stuck, and she didn't say she keeps asking why. She clearly knows why she's feeling the way she's feeling and she clearly said she is looking for solace and communion. I don't want to sully this thread with a discussion about the questionable merits of tarot cards, but offering a reading (presumably for a fee) in this circumstance seemed inappropriate, to say the least, to me.
    I have to disagree. What seems inappropriate to one person is not necessarily the case for someone else. Though you feel you have clarity on what she is looking for, I would not pass judgement on someone else's attempt to reach out in their own way. I saw no request for money anyway.
    She has wonderful responses to choose to follow or not to follow. It is a wonderful response from the community.

15. TopTop #15
    alegria910

Quote Posted in reply to the post by nicofrog: View Post
    it is a great tradition with probably more successes to chalk up the the whole of the mental health establishment combined for the simple reason that there is more safety in counseling each other than going to someone superior to you.
    Hi, Nico...

I found it interesting that you seem to make the assumption that mental health professionals are either superior to their clients, or perhaps that they feel or act superior (I wasn't quite sure which you meant!). I'm a therapist in a community health clinic, and I certainly never feel, and hopefully never act, as if I'm superior to my clients. I approach the therapeutic relationship in much the same way you describe co-counseling; I expect and hope that I will learn AND teach in my interaction with my clients.

I do agree that there is a power differential in the relationship between a client and a mental health professional; after all, the clients are the ones who disclose deeply personal information in hopes that they can get answers to their questions. This power difference can be used in many ways, depending on the attitudes and beliefs of both the therapist and the client (BOTH humans with all our attending foibles!), and some therapists unfortunately do utilize their "power" to place themselves in a position of superiority.

However, many ethical, compassionate therapists (I like to think of myself as one) strive to begin from the assumption and understanding that the clients themselves have the answers that they are searching for, and that we, as therapists, may be able to assist them in accessing those answers by providing either a different perspective or some information that we have access to that might be helpful to them.

I also agree with you, Nico, that co-counseling is a valuable tool, and can be much less intimidating (and certainly less expensive, in many cases) than traditional therapy. My belief is that when someone is courageous enough to admit they might need help and seek it, the more choices they have, the more chance they have of finding something that they're comfortable enough to try.

Blessings,
    Joanie