Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Lorrie

Good Luck Bamboo plant cutting advice needed

Anyone know about these plants?

I have a very healthy one (with tons of care) going to about to grow through my roof (exaggerating)

But I would like to know where to cut them (I am scared, don't want to kill it) and replant so I can have more.

I would appreciate any help..
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    nicofrog

Re: Good Luck Bamboo plant cutting advice needed

Hi
    I grow and propagate Bamboo,I am not familiar with the variety called "good Luck"but most bamboos are similar in that they are a grass, you can cut off the tops without hurting the plant at all unless you ct off more than 2/3 of the plant. Ilike to cut just above a joint so the stem does not create a cup that water can collect in potentially starting rot.
    If it is a traveling bamboo it will send out chutes to the sides slightly below ground level, if you provide a place for a chute to mature and put out some roots of its own, give it say a year then cut it away from the mother plant in the fall you can often get another plant started. if it is a Clumping bamboo, when they are large enough I have cut them apart with an axe and made two.this is a huge amount of work.
    Good luck, feed them horse compost, they LOVE it,and give them lots of mulch.
    Nico

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Lorrie: View Post

I have a very healthy one (with tons of care) going to about to grow through my roof (exaggerating)

But I would like to know where to cut them (I am scared, don't want to kill it) and replant so I can have more.

Last edited by Barry; 09-24-2007 at 10:37 AM.

3. TopTop #3
    "Mad" Miles

What I technically know about "Good Luck" bamboo is not much, except that it is not really a bamboo. It is a different species of plant. Have you tried google?

"Mad" Miles

4. TopTop #4
    nicofrog

Huh? interesting, then it may be"Cariso" or "REED" or California river bamboo
    a hollow stemmed huge grass that grows in or near water in many parts of California,considered"invasive" ( an odd term that refers mostly to human inconvenience) the "Reed" is used to make saxophone and oboe, and clarinet sounding reeds. very common in Mexico, it is much weaker than bamboo and can be easily broken . It is a slow grower out of water and no big deal Invasively..Check out "Bamboo Sourcery" out west on hwy 12 left on "Wagnon" BEAUTIFUL place for a Bamboo lovers picnic
    timber bamboo bigger than your arm, many variates and nice people who will help you with bamboo questions, and sell you some fine variates for reasonable prices.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Mad Miles: View Post
    What I technically know about "Good Luck" bamboo is not much, except that it is not really a bamboo. It is a different species of plant. Have you tried google?

"Mad" Miles

5. TopTop #5
    marym

Anyone know about Good Luck Bamboo plants?

I cut mine and several new stems grew out at the cut. I didn't try to propagate the cut piece though.

Here is a link for Lucky Bamboo: https://www.wikihow.com/Grow-Lucky-Bamboo
    Last edited by Barry; 01-15-2017 at 11:14 AM.

6. TopTop #6
    marym

Here is a link for Lucky Bamboo: https://www.wikihow.com/Grow-Lucky-Bamboo