Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    shirl

never take strangers

Please be very careful giving rides to strangers. Just when you think you are safe something can go so wrong. Not everyone on this web site is who they say they are, believe me I know one person who is not and he knows who he is. This is from, Feeling like Air.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    AnnaLisaW

Re: never take strangers

Quote Posted in reply to the post by shirl: View Post
    Please be very careful giving rides to strangers ... Not everyone on this web site is who they say they are.
    It is sad to hear this kind of reminder. Ride sharing is a very important part of caring for our community and our environment as more and more of us are car free by choice or circumstance. It is very important to be careful when we meet on line and it is always wise to ask for references before letting someone into our cars or homes. If you are asking for a ride, it would be a good idea to have references ready and offer them to anyone who is offering a ride. It also protects the rider because the driver knows that they have friends or family who will back them up if there is trouble..

3. TopTop #3
    hales

I'd like to mention that I met a really great woman, (via the original WACCO list), after we shared a ride to the free bluegrass festival in San Francisco, a few years ago. We had a lovely time and no one was hurt or disappointed, as far as I know. I'm out of touch with her, currently, but she was and is a lovely person. I am appreciative of WACCO for the opportunity of meeting a person open-minded enough to share a great experience with a "new friend". I provided the ride, she provided an informed, charming, and intelligent companion for the great festival.

Although I would love to not be dependent on my vehicle, I am happy to when I can share a ride and make my use of it more efficient, in that way.
    Seeing the waste of thousands of commuters, one-per-car, on hw. 101, each day has always really bothered me.

I do support being somewhat cautious and selective, but also try to be open to when the universe is offering a gift of friendship, love, adventure or "grace".. : )

Scott.

P.S. Hi, K.W., if you're out there!

AnnaLisaW; "It is sad to hear this kind of reminder. Ride sharing is a very important part of caring for our community and our environment as more and more of us are car free by choice or circumstance. It is very important to be careful when we meet on line and it is always wise to ask for references before letting someone into our cars or homes. If you are asking for a ride, it would be a good idea to have references ready and offer them to anyone who is offering a ride. It also protects the rider because the driver knows that they have friends or family who will back them up if there is trouble.."

4. TopTop #4
    Dixon

Quote Posted in reply to the post by shirl: View Post
    Please be very careful giving rides to strangers. Just when you think you are safe something can go so wrong. Not everyone on this web site is who they say they are, believe me I know one person who is not and he knows who he is. This is from, Feeling like Air.
    Shirl, the suspense is killing me--who is it?

Also, I just wanted to register another perspective. While I understand your fear, and honor your choice to be picky about who you give rides to, I must say that as one who in younger days hitchhiked thousands of miles around the USA, I appreciate those good Samaritans who give rides to strangers. I've gotten out of the habit of picking up hitchers, but now that you've brought up the issue, I'll think I'll get back into it.

Cheers;

Dixon

5. TopTop #5
    Lorrie

Cool Dixon,
    You think you could drive down river rd around 4:45 pm? I should be there and I need to get to Guerneville, just start looking for me right around Laughlin and Woolsey! LOL

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dixon: View Post
    Shirl, the suspense is killing me--who is it?

Also, I just wanted to register another perspective. While I understand your fear, and honor your choice to be picky about who you give rides to, I must say that as one who in younger days hitchhiked thousands of miles around the USA, I appreciate those good Samaritans who give rides to strangers. I've gotten out of the habit of picking up hitchers, but now that you've brought up the issue, I'll think I'll get back into it.

Cheers;

Dixon

6. TopTop #6
    AnnaLisaW

Hooh yeah, I remember hitch-hiking cross country and about town. I also remember some very close calls. It is a dangerous way to get around, much worse than it was in the 60's and early 70's. I still pick-up hitchhikers where there are no busses if they feel safe to me. I have met some wonderful and interesting people this way... and some real wierdos! Nine out of ten people you meet are good at heart, but you have to be preared for the tenth one. Because so many good people are afraid to give or recieve rides, there appear to be more of the dangerous ones out there.

(It sounds like Shirl had the guts to prosecute a bad one. You go girl! Please don't ask her anymore about it. If she talks about it, she could blow the case and face libel charges.)