Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    wildflower

"Food for Holes" Scandal! BUYCOTT NEEDED!

Another reason for me to stay out of Whole Foods! The shocking part of this story is that WF CEO Mackey used a false internet identity for 7 years to trash Wild Oats Market so he could BUY it!
    Read on oh hungry bellies!

Published on Saturday, July 14, 2007 by The Boston Globe
    Whole Food Fight

by Derrick Z. Jackson
    Just when I was about to praise fiddleheads, farmers markets, and the joy of true freshness, along comes John Mackey.
    Mackey is the chief executive officer of Whole Foods. The more appropriate title should be Hole in the Wallet Foods. For years, it charged premium prices for produce, meats, seafood, and poultry, not to mention chocolate and chips, on the assumption that they were delivering groceries more fresh and ecocorrect than traditional supermarkets.
    My personal experience, with three Hole in the Wallets alone servicing the People’s Republic of Cambridge, is that they deliver decent produce decently enough to ignore the smoke rising from my credit card.
    No more. Mackey is trying to turn Whole Foods into the Wal-Mart of ecogroceries. He was unmasked this week as using a pseudonym to post messages for seven years on the Internet trashing the market value and competency of Wild Oats Markets. It happens that his company, which raked in $5.6 billion of sales last year, is trying to buy Wild Oats for $565 million.
    The Federal Trade Commission is opposed to the purchase, saying it would wipe out competition in that sector of the grocery industry. The FTC says Mackey boasted to the Whole Foods board that buying Wild Oats “means eliminating this threat forever, or almost forever.”
    Just as annoying is the response of Whole Foods. Thus far it is coddling the loopy ethical lapse of its CEO. Mackey has already posted a lame defense of his behavior on the corporate website, blaming the FTC for trying to “embarrass both me and Whole Foods.” The Wall Street Journal, which broke the story earlier this week, reported yesterday, “So far, there appear to be few other consequences. A big Whole Foods investor said it was sticking by Mackey and, as of midafternoon, the Whole Foods board hadn’t met to discuss the matter.”
    Well, as the Whole Foods board sits in la-la land thinking that their shiitakes don’t stink, I offer myself as the first consequence. I am staging a one-man boycott.
    I will spend the rest of the summer procuring my vegetables from places other than Whole Foods, most preferably my local farmers market or co-op. If there is ever a time to tell Hole in the Wallet to plug the leak in its credibility, this is it. Besides, not even it can compete with the explosive taste of locally grown strawberries and raspberries that are bordeaux in color, blueberries and corn on the cob that actually have juice inside, and tomatoes, oh, tomatoes!
    I grow my own tomatoes, but the farmers market ones, being more professionally grown, come earlier than mine. Anyone who has tasted a locally grown tomato versus even the best offerings of Hole in the Wallet know that the taste is like comparing a fruit bomb to an uncooked potato.
    Better still, if you do not like the term “boycott,” consider yourself part of a movement. Americans have grown tired of the uncooked potato taste of so many fruits grown around the world for our supermarkets, just to give us the disappointing illusion of having a peach or blueberry all year long. Americans are supporting farmers markets to the degree that the number of them has grown from 1,755 in 1994 to 4,385, according to the US Department of Agriculture.
    A study this year by researchers at Colorado State University found that 30 percent of Americans now prefer to buy fresh produce from farmers markets or direct from producers. Dawn Thilmany, the lead author of the study, told the Fort Collins Coloradoan, “I think everyone knew that farmers markets are popular because we see them around, but the good news is, it’s kind of mainstream.”
    The study found — bearing out why Whole Foods has been so successful — that shoppers who go to farmers markets or otherwise purchase “direct” are willing to pay 7 percent to 23 percent more for fruits and vegetables that are locally grown, organic, or nutritionally superior. In a press release, Thilmany said the growing popularity suggests that consumers are developing “a strong connection to local food systems,” inspiring small farmers to “explore unique varieties and cultivars of fruits and vegetables.”
    With Mackey mouthing off, there is no better time to strengthen local connections and sever our ties with Whole Foods until we hear that Mackey is disciplined or fired. He might be close to a monopoly on the freshest commercial grown food. It will never be as sweet as the strawberry from a farmer’s market.
    Derrick Z. Jackson’s e-mail address is [email protected].
    © 2007 The Boston Globe
    These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    lifequest

Re: "Food for Holes" Scandal! BUYCOTT NEEDED!

I first heard of this scandal a couple months ago with the exception of the false e-mails. Makes it even more outrageous. Thanks for the post.

As for motivation, in part it comes from Whole Foods being a publicly traded company with all the pressure that puts on management to produce profits, growth and ever higher stock prices. We're all familiar with the abuses going on in most corporations from Enron to Pacific Lumber. Abuses even occur in non-profits but on such a small scale. Over and over we hear of the advantages of the profit motive and competition. It often drives reasonable people to a bad end.

So guess I understand why it happened but absolutely don't condone it. Ethical behavior is a personal and a corporate choice. Its hard for anyone to stay clean when they take a dip into the money economy and the drive for more.

3. TopTop #3
    ThePhiant

these weren't FALSE emails, he used a pseudonym on a blog and people were on to him almost from the beginning (I read the article in the NY Times) he even ridiculed himself and his haircut.
    how does that make it unethical???
    Now I hope you don't think that The Phiant is in reality Craig. LMFAO

Quote Posted in reply to the post by lifequest: View Post
    I first heard of this scandal a couple months ago with the exception of the false e-mails. Makes it even more outrageous. Thanks for the post.

As for motivation, in part it comes from Whole Foods being a publicly traded company with all the pressure that puts on management to produce profits, growth and ever higher stock prices. We're all familiar with the abuses going on in most corporations from Enron to Pacific Lumber. Abuses even occur in non-profits but on such a small scale. Over and over we hear of the advantages of the profit motive and competition. It often drives reasonable people to a bad end.

So guess I understand why it happened but absolutely don't condone it. Ethical behavior is a personal and a corporate choice. Its hard for anyone to stay clean when they take a dip into the money economy and the drive for more.

4. TopTop #4
    lifequest

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ThePhiant: View Post
    these weren't FALSE emails, he used a pseudonym on a blog and people were on to him almost from the beginning (I read the article in the NY Times) he even ridiculed himself and his haircut.
    how does that make it unethical???
    Now I hope you don't think that The Phiant is in reality Craig. LMFAO
    The ole dictionary defines ethics as the principles of right conduct. So the blog (not e-mail) entries would fail that test.

Just like with paying taxes, some people and corporations confuse paying the legal minimum with paying as little as possible using any means until they get caught.

5. TopTop #5
    ThePhiant

there is nothing unethical about writing under a moniker.
    you do it
    he used his wife name Deborah and scrambled it
    now what exactly did he write that was unethical according to your standards
    please be precise in your quotes
    that would be helpful

The ole dictionary defines ethics as the principles of right conduct. So the blog (not e-mail) entries would fail that test.

Just like with paying taxes, some people and corporations confuse paying the legal minimum with paying as little as possible using any means until they get caught.

6. TopTop #6
    lifequest

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ThePhiant: View Post
    there is nothing unethical about writing under a moniker.
    you do it
    he used his wife name Deborah and scrambled it
    now what exactly did he write that was unethical according to your standards
    please be precise in your quotes
    that would be helpful
    Since we're discussing a presumption and conclusion by the article writer that the blog entries regarding the other company were false and the entries were not printed no one can comment on what was in the entries. Since the stock market and stock value is influenced by psychology and perception, and if the comments resulted in a drop in that value, that would be unethical. The moniker he used is incidental.

7. TopTop #7
    ThePhiant

Since we're discussing a presumption and conclusion by the article writer that the blog entries regarding the other company were false and the entries were not printed no one can comment on what was in the entries.
    like I said before, I read an article about this in the NY Times,
    I have quoted from memory what was in this article
    I have quoted that early on people were aware who was behind these posts
    the posts that I read were not false, merely some body's opinion about Wild Oats, No insider stuff or false info

Quote Since the stock market and stock value is influenced by psychology and perception, and if the comments resulted in a drop in that value, that would be unethical.
    wowowwowow
    now this is a big step, if his comments resulted in a big gain, would that be unethical? if I say WF is a great store and their value goes up, I can go to jail?
    just because a market thrives on rumors and innuendos, doesn't mean you can't say your opinion!~
    if he had said things as an insider and under his real name, now that would carry some weight.
    but anonymously?????
    give me a break
    or give me a quote that makes me eat my words

Quote The moniker he used is incidental.
    no it is not, it gave him away
    Last edited by Barry; 07-16-2007 at 06:22 PM.