Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Thread: Got to sing!
  • Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    SandBar

Got to sing!

Call it an epiphany but last night I got clear I have to sing and not just in the shower.

Does anyone know of choral groups, choirs, rockin rollin songsters that gather regularly to sing together and that are open to a new voice joining in? My voice is pretty good and I would love to exercise my expression.

thanks.
    Sandy
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    HiDi

Re: Got to sing!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by SandBar: View Post
    Call it an epiphany but last night I got clear I have to sing and not just in the shower.

Does anyone know of choral groups, choirs, rockin rollin songsters that gather regularly to sing together and that are open to a new voice joining in? My voice is pretty good and I would love to exercise my expression.

thanks.
    Sandy
    ... i would love to sing too! I haven't sung outside of the shower for 15 years now but one of the best times I had was when I sang harmony vocals with a country/punk band back in San Francisco. I like rock, country, harmonies...have been toying with trying local kereoke club just to 'get out there' and see if i can still sing, but don't have any idea how they operate/never been in one/what out there might have country (patsy Cline/carlene carter) and rock...have also toyed with a home machine but prices are 2 high... lemme know what you find out!

3. TopTop #3
    "Mad" Miles

Love Choir

4. TopTop #4
    mellowreddove

Quote Posted in reply to the post by HiDi: View Post
    ... i would love to sing too! I haven't sung outside of the shower for 15 years now but one of the best times I had was when I sang harmony vocals with a country/punk band back in San Francisco. I like rock, country, harmonies...have been toying with trying local kereoke club just to 'get out there' and see if i can still sing, but don't have any idea how they operate/never been in one/what out there might have country (patsy Cline/carlene carter) and rock...have also toyed with a home machine but prices are 2 high... lemme know what you find out!
    Hi, I would like to sing tooooo. maybe we could start a trio, work on our own songs, and sing them locally. sharon

5. TopTop #5
    pingpong

thanks.
    Sandy
    I have been going to the Love Choir for 3+ years now. We meet every Wednesday at 7:30ish 'till 10pm. It is a full out blast.
    The choir is headed up by Jim Corbett , a local legend and singer/arranger/piano player. Don the drummer (pro) and Vince the guitarist (also pro). Various other instrumentalists come in and out with Wash tub bass a strong presence.
    Most choirs are pretty orderly. Sopranos,altos,tenors, basses etc...here is the sheet music and learn your part. Not the Love Choir ... it's more like kids playing in the street. Most of the songs are familiar, there are lyric books but most people just sing along 'till they know the words. I've arrived dog tired and grumpy and within ten minutes I am flyin. 30-40 singers show up weekly.
    From time to time we do gigs out in the community (this weekend the Love Choir is doing concerts at the Kate Wolf Festival). Mostly it is just the pure joy of singing your butt off for two hours every week.
    There is a suggested $5 per session donation.
    Subud Hall in Sebastopol.
    234 Hutchins at 116 south. Wednesday nights 8pm. Info call Steve at 478-9392.

6. TopTop #6
    forest

thanks.
    Sandy
    Yes, Center for Spiritual Living in Santa Rosa has a choir and a vocal teacher. You can call the main desk on Tuesday to Sunday and leave a message for Claire Victor, choir director, vocal teacher. Call 546-4543.

Also, there's a wonderful singing teacher, Laurie Cahoon, who leads a Women's Circle in Petaluma which meets four times a year. Great Native American chants, women's circle songs and more in a beautiful shared ritual. To get on the mailing list, leave a message for Karen Cappa or Laurie Cahoon through Body Works (Yoga Studio) at 769-9933.

Blessings on singing out,

Deborah T-F

7. TopTop #7
    pingpong

No Love-Choir this Wednesday due to Fourth of July.

8. TopTop #8
    Susana

thanks.
    Sandy
    I host singing parties second and fourth Mondays of the month in downtown Sebastopol.

We play musical improv games; weave our voices in spontaneous harmony; take turns singing lead; find new ways of expressing ourselves vocally in a nurturing fun space.

I hope you'll join us!

The next one is this coming Monday, July 27 ...

Monday, July 27
    7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
    Downtown Dance/Art Space
    172 B Main Street
    Down the hall from the Sebastopol Cookie Company
    donation: $5 - $20

For more info and to RSVP:
    https://www.meetup.com/Improv-Singing/

Looking forward to singing with you!
    ~~ Susana
    Last edited by Barry; 07-25-2015 at 01:48 PM.

9. TopTop #9
    Philip Tymon

Does anyone know of choral groups, choirs, rockin rollin songsters that gather regularly to sing together and that are open to a new voice joining in? My voice is pretty good and I would love to exercise my expression
    The River Choir, based in Guerneville, rehearses most Tuesday nights. If interested call Sonia Tubridy at 869-3273
    Last edited by Barry; 08-09-2015 at 01:00 PM.

10. TopTop #10
    Bird Watcher

Another group is the Occidental Community Choir. Don't know if they limit membership in terms of location/residency, but I know they have a great time! The semi-annual concerts are entertaining and feature a wide range of music, but many original works. Humor is a focal point!
    See more at occidentalchoir.org. I also recommend the others mentioned here in the thread.
    Happy singing!
    Pam

11. Gratitude expressed by:

ywv
  12. TopTop #11
    KWilson

I highly recommend a class at the SRJC: The Joy of Singing. I took it last semester and it changed my outlook on singing. It is already full for the upcoming fall semester and fills up within hours every semester due to returning students taking it over and over. But if you want to take the spring semester you can email the teacher and have her notify you when registration opens. If you like to sing, you will LOVE this class!

13. TopTop #12
    sharronjoyce

Would love to find others in Sebastopol area interested in forming a quartet, or small harmony grp. sharon 707-829-5141
    Last edited by Barry; 08-13-2015 at 12:13 PM.

14. Gratitude expressed by:

ywv
  15. TopTop #13
    rudimentary

The Occidental Community Choir is a great group, singing allot of original and soulful music. If you understand "parts" and good with practicing, auditions are coming up soon! Check the website.
    Rud

16. Gratitude expressed by:

ywv