Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    scamperwillow

Mountain Lion in Sebastopol?

Last night one of my neighbors heard something really big up in a tree near my house that growled at her and scared her and her boyfriend enough that they went to the police station to ask for help going home! They later heard screams and the sound of an animal being torn apart. They never saw anything. (I somehow slept through the whole thing!)

Has anyone heard any reports of a mountain lion in Sebastopol? We are on Robinson Rd. at Two Acre Wood.

Marty
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    iaim2xl
    Supporting member

Re: Mountain Lion in Sebastopol?

Yes, there are cougars here in Sebastopol. My wife saw one near our house (off Bodega a couple miles west of town). We've also heard they are not uncommon around Ragle Park.

I also saw a marten recently--looked like a small weasel with a brown and white face. Anyone else seen one of those?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by scamperwillow: View Post
    Last night one of my neighbors heard something really big up in a tree near my house that growled at her and scared her and her boyfriend enough that they went to the police station to ask for help going home! They later heard screams and the sound of an animal being torn apart. They never saw anything. (I somehow slept through the whole thing!)

Has anyone heard any reports of a mountain lion in Sebastopol? We are on Robinson Rd. at Two Acre Wood.

Marty

3. TopTop #3
    oldrose

Yes there is a mountain lion that ranges in the area. I have seen one out at Salmon Creek School area on Bohemian hwy between Freestone and Occidental. Their range is significant and you are really not that far away. The scream is their yowl, we have heard that out on Joy Ridge. So keep your pets in and be aware. Nature and her creatures are powerful and awsome.

Teresa

Marty

4. TopTop #4
    Just Jane

Could be raccoons, last year we heard these blood curling screams and what sounded like a large cat tearing some other animal apart in our neighbors tree. We called the sheriff's dept to come check it out, using there high powered light we discovered it was just raccoons, one very large raccoon was not welcome in the tree with Mom and several young raccoon's. They sure had us all scared.

Just Jane

5. TopTop #5
    terriann

Hey Marty,
    I know where you're located. I doubt it was a cougar. Could be a bobcat. But our wild cats are awfully shy and don't generally like to be so hemmed in by humans; though maybe Burbank Farm would provide the needed buffer. I tend to agree with the folks that suggest a raccoon. They are quite happy to come in close where the pickings are plentiful. They can be extremely fierce and scary sounding. You wouldn't want your dog to tangle with one (if you have a dog), it would definitely come out on the short end of the stick. I know someone who lives on Burnett, near the creek that runs through Ives, whose tom cat has been known to tangle with a raccoon on more than one occasion; to the detriment of the cat (and the benefit of the vet). I don't think people who leave their pet food out over night realize just how well equipped and willing a raccoon is to defend itself, if it feels cornered. A person to ask would be Raini. She lives just down the road from you and has a lot of knowledge about the wildlife found in our area. Also, our Fish and Game guys are happy to answer this type of question from us regular citizens.

--Terriann (past Laguna Docent and environmental biologist/educator)

Marty

6. TopTop #6
    Sereia

I tried to post this before, but it didn't make it for some reason. Anyway, a week ago Wednesday, we woke up to find that some very large animal had fallen into our pool in the night. It's an in-ground vinyl liner rectagonal shaped pool, that had been covered with a movable pool cover. Whatever it was fell in and slashed the vinyl to shreds around two corners in its attempt to get out. Rogers' pool service guys thought it may have been a deer since the markings go clear to the bottom of the 4' end of the pool, but other people have suggested a mountain lion or bobcat. We're on Pleasant Hill between Watertrough and Bloomfield, not terribly far as the crow flies from Two Acre Wood. Could be there's somethin' out there!

Anna

7. TopTop #7
    Roland Jacopetti

Hi, All. There's definitely a bobcat in that area. I saw it cross the road a few evenings ago. Unmistakeable - right size, bob tail, characteristic head. Be nice to her.

Roland

8. TopTop #8
    gypsey

Hello! Mountain lions are solitary, reclusive animals who don't even connect with their own kind (except for breeding) and so I seriously doubt that one would have fallen in your pool. I suggest that instead of asking or notifying Wacco for advice, that you contact our local widlife bureau who can inform and educate you--and all of us at Wacco would appreciate what you learn. Good luck ! Gypsey
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sereia: View Post
    I tried to post this before, but it didn't make it for some reason. Anyway, a week ago Wednesday, we woke up to find that some very large animal had fallen into our pool in the night. It's an in-ground vinyl liner rectagonal shaped pool, that had been covered with a movable pool cover. Whatever it was fell in and slashed the vinyl to shreds around two corners in its attempt to get out. Rogers' pool service guys thought it may have been a deer since the markings go clear to the bottom of the 4' end of the pool, but other people have suggested a mountain lion or bobcat. We're on Pleasant Hill between Watertrough and Bloomfield, not terribly far as the crow flies from Two Acre Wood. Could be there's somethin' out there!

Anna

9. TopTop #9
    bobbi

For a while, I thought I had a large cat living in my area. I've seen large cat-like shadows after dusk and found small animal carcasses in the area that don't look like they dies of old age. I have also seen large carnivore droppings and heard weird screaming/animal snarl sounds at dusk and late evening. I live between watertrough and pleasant hill on Aztecadero Creek. A while ago, there were sightings in the back side of Ragle Park. I have lived here for 2+ years, and none of my domestic animals have ever been hurt, and I've only seen shadows. While this idea kinda scares me, we are living in their home, and as long as I don't feel threatened or in danger, I'll just leave everything the way it is. I do take caution to bring in my animals at night though.

Marty

10. TopTop #10
    terriann

It's great to hear about the bobcat sighting in that area! They are so reclusive and rarely let themselves be spotted.
    I checked my Fish and Game list of Mammals found in Sonoma County. Marten is not on the list. I checked my Peterson Field Guide and this is the wrong habitat. We do have short and long-tailed weasels, badgers, ringtails, and escaped "pet" ferrets. Look those up and see if one fits your description.
    People who are saying they have seen or heard of cougars in Sebastopol need to be pretty specific about the area they mean when they say Sebastopol. Joy Road may have a Sebastopol address, but it is a far cry from Robinson Road, as far as habitat features go, and the likely hood of a cougar being there is about the same as a mother whale with her young being found up the Sacramento Delta. Ragle Ranch has the Atascadero Creek riparian area running through it and is also contiguous with other open and sparsely populated lands. So I would say it is likely that mountain lion could be seen there. Still, if you think you have seen or heard sign of any wildlife you're not sure about, in your area, and want to be more certain, contact Fish and Game. I have been known to be wrong (tongue-in-cheek).

--Terriann

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Roland: View Post
    Hi, All. There's definitely a bobcat in that area. I saw it cross the road a few evenings ago. Unmistakeable - right size, bob tail, characteristic head. Be nice to her.

Roland

11. TopTop #11
    Charles

I know that there have been a pair of mountain lions in the area just west of Bill's Farm Basket (which is really Debbie and Jim). My friend lived next door and had a couple with a small one living in the creek behind his house. So, believe what you will, I know they were there.
    Charles

12. TopTop #12
    geomancer

In March I saw a bobcat in my backyard as I was having my morning coffee. It was standing by the woodshed, looking about and surveying the scene. It gave the chopping block a squirt before he sauntered off. Best look I've ever had of one in the wild. I live in a wooded area on the west side of Green Hill Road near Sturgeon's Mill. I also have seen grey fox in my yard twice this year.

I'm 95% sure I saw a mountain loin crossing Occidental Rd near Atascadero Creek in May. It was near the limit of my headlights (low beam), but the size, color and gait were right. The tail was held horizontally and was impressively long.

And for this week, the coyotes sang to the full moon.

Richard

Quote Posted in reply to the post by terriann: View Post
    It's great to hear about the bobcat sighting in that area! They are so reclusive and rarely let themselves be spotted.
    I checked my Fish and Game list of Mammals found in Sonoma County. Marten is not on the list. I checked my Peterson Field Guide and this is the wrong habitat. We do have short and long-tailed weasels, badgers, ringtails, and escaped "pet" ferrets. Look those up and see if one fits your description.
    People who are saying they have seen or heard of cougars in Sebastopol need to be pretty specific about the area they mean when they say Sebastopol. Joy Road may have a Sebastopol address, but it is a far cry from Robinson Road, as far as habitat features go, and the likely hood of a cougar being there is about the same as a mother whale with her young being found up the Sacramento Delta. Ragle Ranch has the Atascadero Creek riparian area running through it and is also contiguous with other open and sparsely populated lands. So I would say it is likely that mountain lion could be seen there. Still, if you think you have seen or heard sign of any wildlife you're not sure about, in your area, and want to be more certain, contact Fish and Game. I have been known to be wrong (tongue-in-cheek).

--Terriann