Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #61
    onthewing

Re: Advice on Mockingbird problem needed ASAP!

Forget the pellet gun unless you want to go to jail and pay a very large fine. Mockingbirds often have two broods. Learn to co-exist.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

3. TopTop #62
    santoshimatajaya
    Supporting Member

you can hire an animal communicator to mediate and let the birds know what you need keeping their needs in mind as well collaborating to find a win/win situation for both you and them

if you need references for the animal communicator, pl be in touch w/ me

i agree that destructive, aggressive means is not an answer and will create further problems for you ~

Wishing you All the Best with this~

Quote Posted in reply to the post by onthewing: View Post
    Forget the pellet gun unless you want to go to jail and pay a very large fine. Mockingbirds often have two broods. Learn to co-exist.
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 07-31-2016 at 11:37 AM.

4. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

5. TopTop #63
    wisewomn

My understanding is that the 24 hr behavior is mating behavior.

I just use earplugs at night.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by onthewing: View Post

6. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

7. TopTop #64
    Hollyweird666

I can't believe what I'm reading, how can anyone enjoy these, like Zoe Dechanel in Failure to Launch says, devil birds! I have never heard them before to my knowledge, but this year, since like April, May it's been non stop almost, it was driving me crazy! I was ready to shoot the fucker but since I'm a big animal friend I waited it out and now it finally shut up! Guess it finally found his woman... But if this happens ever again I'm going to do something. Earplugs hurt and aren't strong enough to keep the noise out, plus I wanna hear the crickets. I wish they would be banned from the cities, that's one animal I wouldn't care if it was extinct. And don't be hating on cats! Cats are the best animals in the world and they should be able to go out without being chased by some damn stupid bird! And we pay expensive rent us humans so they shouldn't ruin our quiet time we get when we're at home! Birds don't have to work or anything so fuck off! Humans suffer the most as it is.

8. TopTop #65
    Shepherd

What a mean, anti-animal email. How can this person describe herself as "a big animal friend?" She also seems anti-male. How does she know that this bird whose sounds bother her is male? Cats may be better than humans, but what makes them "the best animals in the world"? They kill lot of birds, and other animals. Why describe Mockingbirds as "stupid"?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Hollyweird666: View Post
    I can't believe what I'm reading, how can anyone enjoy these, like Zoe Dechanel in Failure to Launch says, devil birds! ...
    Last edited by Barry; 07-08-2017 at 06:52 AM.

9. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

10. TopTop #66
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    ...How does she know that this bird whose sounds bother her is male? ...
    From Wikipedia:

"Both male and female mockingbirds sing, with the latter being generally quieter and less vocal. Male commencement of singing is in late January to February and continues into the summer and the establishing of territory into the fall. Frequency in female singing is more sporadic, as it sings less often in the summer and fall, and only sings when the male is away from the territory.[13]"

11. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

12. TopTop #67
    Jon Jackson

We have mockingbirds here on our property...all day...sometimes all night. We don't like it much. But, I have to say, this message below doesn't really make sense to me....

I can't believe what I'm reading, how can anyone enjoy these,....

13. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

14. TopTop #68
    Shepherd

How wonderful to hear that the male birds sing to the female birds, "in late January to February" and into the summer. Yea! Would that more male humans sing to the females. We have a lot to learn from the birds.

I have substantial sound trauma, from being raised in a military family. However, singing birds do not trigger it; we humans make so many unnecessary sounds, especially with our cars and other polluters. Let's work to improve our species, who are the main threats to nature. Only then should we criticize other animals.

Do you know how many "killer whales" have killed members of their own species? None. Do you know how many humans have killed members of our own species?

15. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

16. TopTop #69
    pixeee nation

Hi this response is not to be harsh...i will say this is a HUGE PROBLEM...sorry however We have LOST about 65% of Our Song Birds....SERIOUSLY due to Human interference i.e pesticides ,Rat, Gopher and other POISONS TOO & Cats ( sorry Love Cats but they kill a lot mostly)...and You are complaing about Birds Singing...PLEASE if You dont like the Sounds of Nature move to a City OR put your computer on to "white noise" or some (LOL) other "healing Music or Ocean or River sounds" buy a fan or ear plugs...FYI Bird Tones, Frequencies are actually EXTREMELY IMPORTANT for ALL LIFE an Oranthologist studied Bird Songs and aparently WE NEED those frequencies to BE & STAY Healthy on EVERY LEVEL..Sounds / Frequencies effect Us on DEEP levels ...You can look this up...i am always amazed when people complain about Natural Sounds that are actually GOOD for You...it is so easy to change just move...i will take Nature Sounds ANY DAY ...i DO understand that sometimes other Beings can be quite " noisy" and i do have empathy because i worked as a Crisis Couselor "grave yard" shift for years now i deal with insomnia...but id rather HAVE Birds & Coyotes than not...We MUST work around Nature because We are the MOST evasive Species NOT THEM...We NEED them more than they need us...i hope You can get rest & figure a way to enjoy their Sacred Gift on "your" property..Bliss Infinite

17. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

18. TopTop #70
    wildinspired
    Supporting Member

I gotta chime in here!! I LOVE Mocking birds...their song completely delights me and often I laugh out loud at the wonderful twists and turns in their varied solo symphony!!! Another miracle of nature as far as I see it.

19. Gratitude expressed by 9 members:

20. TopTop #71
    scamperwillow

I can't believe what I'm reading, how can anyone enjoy these, like Zoe Dechanel in Failure to Launch says, devil birds! I have never heard them before to my knowledge, but this year, since like April, May it's been non stop almost, it was driving me crazy! I was ready to shoot the fucker but since I'm a big animal friend I waited it out and now it finally shut up! Guess it finally found his woman... ...
    I think this is meant to be a sarcastic joke. Don't think anyone around really thinks this way and the language is pretty extreme.
    Last edited by Barry; 07-08-2017 at 06:44 AM.

21. Gratitude expressed by:

22. TopTop #72
    santoshimatajaya
    Supporting Member

Beautiful points Shepherd

And

i can also appreciate
    that for some
    being awakened in the night
    from sleep
    to hear
    bird calls
    can be hard,
    night after night

snoring can be hard to endure as well :)

i've found
    if one can surrender
    rather than resist
    one falls back to sleep

it is our mind / emotions
    that reisist, fight, curse
    are disturbed

which is always the ultimate culprit
    in our so-called 'problems'

if we can address our minds
    and not become so identified
    or at least
    realize that this is what is actually happening
    this identification
    with the part/s in us that are upset

we can be stronger than these upset parts
    not get pulled in
    and avoid a lot of suffering
    and creating more
    via the mind, thoughts, speech, actions

this is essentially the 'human trip'
    we are on

how to make it a journey
    without falling prey to our minds and our ego's wiring

~how to suffer less

Last edited by Barry; 07-08-2017 at 06:45 AM.

23. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

24. TopTop #73
    pixeee nation

Quote Posted in reply to the post by scamperwillow: View Post
    I think this is meant to be a sarcastic joke. Don't think anyone around really thinks this way and the language is pretty extreme.
    lol...NOT AT ALL...
    "If" it was "meant" to be "funny" it is SO not..it is pathetic ...
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by wildinspired: View Post
    I gotta chime in here!! I LOVE Mocking birds...their song completely delights me and often I laugh out loud at the wonderful twists and turns in their varied solo symphony!!! Another miracle of nature as far as I see it.
    EXACTLY. ..We NEED their Songs...
    Last edited by Barry; 07-08-2017 at 10:26 AM.

25. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

26. TopTop #74
    Shepherd

Let's not forget that it was Rachel Carson's 1962 book "Silent Spring" that lamented the loss of song birds. This helped initiated a robust environmental movement over 50 years ago. It is good to remember this book and look at its message again.

Following is a link to information about that important book that brought attention to what a significant part of nature those loud birds are. Sonoma State University named one of its halls after this great scientist. The mockingbirds are a kind of indicator species. If we were to loose their singing, that would be a further sign that more losses would be likely to follow.

Mockingbirds are not the "problem," as the title of this thread asserts. We two-footed humans are the biggest problem on this one, glorious Earth, in my opinion.

Rachel Carson, Silent Spring, www.rachelcarson.org/SilentSpring.aspx
    BOOK JACKET: Silent Spring, 50th Anniversary Edition Silent Spring began with a “fable for tomorrow” – a true story using a composite of examples drawn from ...

Quote Posted in reply to the post by pixeee nation: View Post
    EXACTLY. ..We NEED their Songs...

27. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

28. TopTop #75
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by scamperwillow: View Post
    Definitely not a joke, rather it is a rant. It was posted from someone in the LA area who registered and posted the rant, and then un-registered.

Mockingbirds are amazingly beautiful singers, whose song can go on for hours without repeating a phrase. And it is because of that, if you are trying to sleep with the windows open, they can keep you up for hours. I don't have a mockingbird problem presently, but I did many years ago. It was driving me crazy . If I had a shotgun handy, I wouldn't have thought twice about using it . Which makes it even worse. How could you want to kill such a beautiful thing?? Many people have been in the same position. That's why this thread has been viewed almost 70,000 times!

As I remember, there was some good advice posted earlier on this thread (anybody care to review the earlier posts and provide a summary?) And I think posting (ranting) and/or reading about this issue is helpful .

29. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

30. TopTop #76
    scamperwillow

Sheesh people - shut your windows and use earplugs! Shotgun? Seriously? These are beautiful creatures. Wait for the day when you will have to explain to your grandchildren what a songbird was.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    Definitely not a joke, rather it is a rant. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 07-09-2017 at 11:33 AM.

31. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

32. TopTop #77
    gabriela

Move?

33. TopTop #78
    pixeee nation

Let's not forget that it was Rachel Carson's 1962 book "Silent Spring" ...
    💖💗💛💙🏞

34. Gratitude expressed by:

35. TopTop #79
    pixeee nation

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    Definitely not a joke, rather it is a rant.....
    Good that You choose to post the stupid arrogance of that type of complete hateFULL NONEsense..like i said " they should just MOVE to a city full of industrial "civilized" NOISE....a place that they can "just shoot" others instead of harming Wildlife...jest sayn...Bliss Infinite🏞🌄🌌🐦🐝🌱🌲🌹

36. Gratitude expressed by:

37. TopTop #80
    santoshimatajaya
    Supporting Member

again
    complaints seem to be focused on mockingbirds
    Not All Song Birds

and their unusual patterns of singing at night
    or consistently

pl don't confuse this
    with a dislike for SongBirds

things get exaggerated and out of hand
    when we are annoyed, not happy, irritated
    and don't have positive resolutions at hand
    to solve what ails us

maybe suggestions can be made
    that work for both the birds and the humans

maybe the bird rescue or bird sanctuaries
    would have knowledgeable time tested ideas

~how to be resourceful
    rather than condemning the birds, one another

let's focus on finding resolutions
    if possible

Quote Posted in reply to the post by pixeee nation: View Post
    Hi this response is not to be harsh...i will say this is a HUGE PROBLEM...
    Last edited by Barry; 07-09-2017 at 11:27 AM.

38. Gratitude expressed by:

39. TopTop #81
    Shepherd

Cats are killers. Let's be clear about that. They kill birds and other animals. Birds are likely to outlive humans, who are threatening a nuclear exchange. Does that make the "damn stupid birds"? If you want "quiet time," why not leave Sonoma County? Birds do a lot of "work," to survive those predator cats. Yes, "humans suffer," mainly from how we oppress each other.

As for me, my dog likes cats, who flirt with her, and even sleep with her. "Being chased" is not always so bad.

Cats are the best animals in the world and they should be able to go out without being chased by some damn stupid bird! And we pay expensive rent us humans so they shouldn't ruin our quiet time we get when we're at home! Birds don't have to work or anything so fuck off! Humans suffer the most as it is.

40. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

41. TopTop #82
    beshiva

i'd rather have mockingbirds singing their hearts out than woodpeckers who've now gotten into the walls.
    i guess it's called sharing the planet :)

42. TopTop #83

"...As for me, my dog likes cats, who flirt with her, and even sleep with her. "Being chased" is not always so bad."
    That part of your comment made me laugh out loud Shepard! I'm still chuckling! Thanks, Dusty

Cats are killers. Let's be clear about that. They kill birds and other animals. Birds are likely to outlive humans, who are threatening a nuclear exchange. Does that make the "damn stupid birds"? If you want "quiet time," why not leave Sonoma County? Birds do a lot of "work," to survive those predator cats. Yes, "humans suffer," mainly from how we oppress each other.

As for me, my dog likes cats, who flirt with her, and even sleep with her. "Being chased" is not always so bad.

43. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

44. TopTop #84
    Stacey5675

I've been doing a lot of online research to fix our Mockingbird situation. I own cats, rabbits and four dogs but these idiot birds have decided that our yard is a perfect place for them to make nests and defend their territory! There are plenty of other wonderful trees in our neighborhood that are pet free but for three years in a row these little shits have decided that this is their home. Their squawking is incessant and I feel like I'm going to lose my mind some days. Goes right over the TV even with all windows and doors closed there is literally no shutting there squawks off. I've tried everything to get them out of my yard. Followed lots of suggestions that I've read online and nothing has worked. They literally consider this their territory and refuse to leave. The only current break I get is during the day when the fledgling is down the street hopping around going tree to tree. But they come back every night religiously. Here's my solution. I'm chopping down all my freaking trees! That way at least they won't be in as close proximity. Gonna cost $2000 but my sanity is worth it.

45. TopTop #85
    vdeva

You could play bird songs you love and they will learn them and sing for you. I did this with a Swainson’s Thrush song and my mockingbird learned the song. You could record hawk calls and that might scare them away. The males sing when they are looking for a mate, I was told. Maybe when he/they find one they’ll calm down. But cutting the trees with active nests with young is illegal I was told by the Wild Bird Rescue Center on Chanate....523-2473

46. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

47. TopTop #86
    Shepherd

I find many humans to be much more annoying than mockingbirds, though they can also annoy me. Feral cats can be more helpful to reduce these birds, though they take out other birds as well.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by vdeva: View Post
    You could play bird songs you love and they will learn them and sing for you....

48. Gratitude expressed by:

49. TopTop #87
    Shepherd

I have been diagnosed with significant Post-Traumatic Stress, from being raised in a military family and having served as a U.S. Army officer. My form of PTSD is sound trauma. I have to leave many situations, which most people can endure, because of the headaches that I get from sounds that are too loud for me, yet do not seem to bother others. I have written about that in an essay called "Sound Shy," as in gun shy, in the book "Veterans of War, Veterans of Peace," edited by Maxine Hong Kingston. She leads our Veterans Writing Group.

My chapter in the book starts as follows: "Yesterday my car beeped at me, again---beep, beep, beep. It kept yelling at me until I did what it wanted me to do. The gas pump--the automatic bank teller--the telephone as I dialed--the phone answering machine--they all beeped loudly at me. They told me what to do and what not to do. They wore me down, so I obeyed their orders."

"Much of my behavior is sound-avoidant," I add later. "And most refrigerators are too loud for me. I usually build a little room outside the house to contain the refrigerator." I conclude my chapter as follows: "I like listening to pretty sounds, like the mourning doves, as I awaken."

So I am not thrilled by mockingbird sounds, though I do prefer them to the loud sounds that many cars and other human machines make, including guns. We humans create machines that make loud sounds that bother many of the world's wonderful creatures.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sealwatcher: View Post
    Wow! I remember reading your posts last year! You probably know that these birds are protected ...
    Last edited by Barry; 05-08-2018 at 09:16 PM.

50. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

51. TopTop #88

This does not sound right. Mockingbirds don't squawk. They sing and it's very beautiful. Might you be SEEING mockingbirds but hearing crows, who do squawk? I have had pairs of mockingbirds nesting here where I live in west county for 30 years. Their songs are delicate, happy and intermittent; they can never be heard over music or television, when I have it on. I suggest you call Wild Bird Rescue in Santa Rosa and ask for advice. Or call Native Songbird Care & Conservation in Sebastopol. Killing trees is a terrible option and, if you are in the city limits, may also be illegal. Also, the birds are not idiots, nor are they little shits. They are intelligent creatures and we have encroached on their natural habitat, not vice versa. It is best, if you can find it in yourself, to be gentle with them and to listen to what they are saying. They may respond by calming down.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Stacey5675: View Post
    I've been doing a lot of online research to fix our Mockingbird situation....
    Last edited by Barry; 05-10-2018 at 09:12 AM.

52. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

53. TopTop #89

isn't this the same post from around July of 2017?

i see replies etc. from that time...

Barry, could you please let us know what's going on about this...

Thanks,
    dusty
    aka gaiasophia on wacco...

• Quote Posted in reply to the post by oliviathunderkitty: View Post
      This does not sound right. Mockingbirds don't squawk. They sing and it's very beautiful. Might you be SEEING mockingbirds but hearing crows, who do squawk? I have had pairs of mockingbirds nesting here where I live in west county for 30 years. Their songs are delicate, happy and intermittent; they can never be heard over music or television, when I have it on. I suggest you call Wild Bird Rescue in Santa Rosa and ask for advice. Or call Native Songbird Care & Conservation in Sebastopol. Killing trees is a terrible option and, if you are in the city limits, may also be illegal. Also, the birds are not idiots, nor are they little shits. They are intelligent creatures and we have encroached on their natural habitat, not vice versa. It is best, if you can find it in yourself, to be gentle with them and to listen to what they are saying. They may respond by calming down.

54. Gratitude expressed by:

55. TopTop #90
    wisewomn

Ear plugs. Learn to share the planet.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by oliviathunderkitty: View Post
    This does not sound right. Mockingbirds don't squawk. ....