Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1

I saw a mountain lion this morning

I was hiking up in Annadel Park.

I think it was a she, it was unmistakably a mountain lion, she was in a large meadow, about 75 yards away. Seemed to be looking for prey, and was only mildly interested in me.

I was pretty scared to tell you the truth, after that guy was just attacked in Humbolt County last week. Picked up a large rock, then continued on my way and reported it to the ranger station. They said they've seen lots of mountain lion scat in Annadel lately, even down around Spring Lake. They said they're coming down to the lake because there's no running water in the streams due to the dry winter.

I've been hiking in Annadel for 20 years, to date I've seen wild pig, wild turkey, all sorts of large birds, a jackrabbit who approached within five feet and just sat there looking at me, one bobcat and now one mountain lion.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    moonrise

Re: I saw a mountain lion this morning

That is scary because it's not often that people see mountain lions - including those who are attacked or threatened with attack. I've heard about people walking past them within a few feet not having any idea they were walking by one. My uncle had many times out in the wilderness packing that mountain lions stalked the horses all night. The lions are most definitely around here (and many other places). There's been signs posted in Annadel for years, also at Sugar Loaf, Jack London, Pt. Reyes, Armstrong/Austin and many other places. Now you know first hand they mean it :)

It's very wise to remember that land that supports other wildlife (turkeys, deer, wild pigs, etc.) should be considered adequate to also support mountain lions. A lot of turkeys are eaten by them; I know of a few ravines with a lot of turkey and some deer remains at the bottom, all cached by a lion. I've heard of them being sighted many places including downtown Santa Rosa, Sebastopol, coastal areas, Petaluma. Sometimes they come into neighborhoods and take pets, especially those left to sleep outside at night. I think bears are much more adept at surviving in metro-rural fringes (and there are sightings of bear out here too), but mtn. lions are certainly around and as there's more and more developing of wildlands encounters with them will increase.

Take someone with you when hiking in mountain lion territory - ESPECIALLY State parks and similar terrain. Make sure you and whoever you go hiking with are well drilled with information that might help you survive should you need it. Look online for more tips to know about their habits and how best to avoid an attack. Most attacks are on people who're alone. It might be a good idea to take a well weighted walking stick/hiking stick too in case there's nothing to pick up handily. Some dogs can be a deterrent (and by this I mean having them walking with you, not running around the place off leash) but not all and there's a lot of hiking trails that dogs aren't allowed even if on leash and you have plenty of poop bags to clean up.

That attack up in Humboldt happened at a park that's had warnings posted for many years and has a stuffed mtn lion in the visitor center/museum with more information. We've been going there for many years. I admire them both for keeping cool enough to communicate a little - him telling her to use his pen to jab it's eyes... and admire the woman for finding something to beat the heck out of it to get it off and then forcing her husband to walk back towards help. If she'd given way to fear and run away he'd be a gonner. If she'd not made him walk back toward help he'd be a goner too. She was no doubt terrified but she knew enough what to do and put her all into it. This is what education can help a person do in case of something like this.

I understand the fear you felt. I've seen lions a few times and it is a very frightening experience!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Clancy:
    I was hiking up in Annadel Park.

I think it was a she, it was unmistakably a mountain lion, she was in a large meadow, about 75 yards away. Seemed to be looking for prey, and was only mildly interested in me.

I was pretty scared to tell you the truth, after that guy was just attacked in Humbolt County last week. Picked up a large rock, then continued on my way and reported it to the ranger station. They said they've seen lots of mountain lion scat in Annadel lately, even down around Spring Lake. They said they're coming down to the lake because there's no running water in the streams due to the dry winter.

I've been hiking in Annadel for 20 years, to date I've seen wild pig, wild turkey, all sorts of large birds, a jackrabbit who approached within five feet and just sat there looking at me, one bobcat and now one mountain lion.

3. TopTop #3

I'm really reluctant to give up hiking by myself, I live near Annadel and I go up there 4 or 5 mornings a week for the exercise and meditative experience. I like your idea of carrying a stout stick, I'm even thinking of getting one of those stun guns in case the worst happens.

After reading your post, I realized I haven't seen any deer or turkey at all for the last couple of months, and up until then I saw both (or heard the turkeys) every time I went up into Annadel.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by moonrise:
    Take someone with you when hiking in mountain lion territory - ESPECIALLY State parks and similar terrain.
    Last edited by Barry; 02-05-2007 at 10:43 AM.

4. TopTop #4
    Nemea Laessig

When I lived up in the mountains in Humboldt County in a tent in the woods, there was a mountain lion around for awhile. We were told by those who had lived there for many years how to handle their presence. Mountain lions will generally avoid humans if you remember a few simple actions. The advice I received was to 'get big', move around a lot, and make lots of noise. Never run from a mountain lion! This triggers their need to chase and pounce! Instead, step towards them with your arms up and wave them around, and talk or sing, especially in a deep voice. I walked back to my tent alone every night, and often in pitch-blackness. As I walked along I would sing my mountain lion song. I was never bothered. A couple of friends who lived in tents nearby used to make animal sounds at each other in the night. One night the lion was attracted by these sounds and came up to one of their tents, put her face right next to my friend's face with mere inches and a bit of flimsy tent fabric between them, and growled. My friend stayed perfectly still and silent and the lion went away after a little while.

I don't see any need to harm a mountain lion just to get it to leave you alone! If you keep your wits about you you can either avoid it entirely, or scare it away pretty easily! Please don't poke it in the eye with a pen unless other tactics haven't worked! This would seriously impair the animal's ability to survive! It is the health and well-being of those animals on the top of the food chain, such as mountain lions, that is a true litmus test for environmental health.

Here is a web page with advice on surviving a lion encounter:
    https://www.nps.gov/archive/romo/visit/hazards.html

"What should you do if you meet a Mountain Lion?

Never approach a mountain lion especially one that is feeding or with kittens. Most mountain lions will try to avoid confrontation. Always give them a way to escape. Don't run. Stay calm. Hold your ground or back away slowly. Face the lion and stand upright. Do all you can to appear larger. Grab a stick. Raise your arms. If you have small children with you, pick them up. If the lion behaves aggressively, wave your arms, shout and throw objects at it. The goal is to convince it that you are not prey and may be dangerous yourself. If attacked, fight back!

Generally, mountain lions are calm, quiet, and elusive. The chance of being attacked by a mountain lion is quite low compared to many other natural hazards. There is, for example, a far greater risk of being struck by lightning than being attacked by a mountain lion. Report all incidents to a park ranger."

Here is another one that includes coyote advice as well: https://www.sanjoseca.gov/district10...yte_safety.asp

5. TopTop #5
    Tars

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Clancy:
    I like your idea of carrying a stout stick
    suggest you hang a cowbell on that walking stck. Mountain lions want to see you even less than you want to see them. Let 'em know youre coming.

I had a fairly close encounter with a mountain lion while walking along a road out by Pt. Reyes. Saw it drinking from a brook; watched it for a couple of minutes. Finally, I went, "PSSSST!" It looked at me - total lack of fear - then walked calmly away into the trees.

6. TopTop #6
    jeeves

a friend of mine told me to take a large umbrella with me when hiking and to open it with a sharp snap if i encounter a mountain lion - supposedly that scares them away. could work... (i did see mountain lion scat in annadel about 10 days ago)

7. TopTop #7
    Nemea Laessig

I think the important thing to remember is that the mountain lion would rather avoid us, and if we are big & noisy around them, they will likely go away. I would hate to see everyone getting in a fear state around seeing a mountain lion, but simply keep our wits about us, as is appropriate, and take action if needed. Mountain lion attacks are very rare. I wish that folks could enjoy such a rare and beautiful sight. Someday the mountain lion may not be seen at all, and that would be a real tragedy.

8. TopTop #8
    Cascade
    Supporting Member

A few years ago, when I was living in Boulder, CO, there was a report in the paper of a local woman who encountered a curious mountain lion while she was hiking. It wasn't threatening - it simply walked up to her, close enough that she rapped it on the nose to get it to leave.

9. TopTop #9
    Everydaygoddess

There is some good advice on our Wacco list, but just to help us all keep our fear of Mountain Lion attack in perspective, here is a comprehensive link that includes advice for avoiding attack, and also some interesting statistics:

https://tchester.org/sgm/lists/lion_attacks.html

Some Quotes from the site:

It is important to keep in mind that lion attacks are still extremely rare in California and nationally.

There were a total of 7 attacks by mountain lions and 2 deaths in California between the years of 1991 and 2003. A sighting or an approach is not considered an attack. These statistics are slightly out of date, but there is no evidence to indicate that mountain lion attacks are on the rise, or that other causes of accidental death are dropping.

For some reason, humans worry much more about rare dangers than about common dangers. Two examples:

• In California, from 1986 through 1998, exactly two people died from mountain lion attacks, whereas in one year alone, over 4,000 people died in traffic accidents, including 800 pedestrians. This means that your car or someone else's car is ~2,000 times more likely to kill you than is a mountain lion.

• Over 300 people have been killed by domestic dogs in the U.S. between 1979 and the late 1990s. This means that your family dog or your neighbor's dog is ten times more likely to kill you than is a mountain lion and hundreds of time more likely than is a coyote."

It's good to be aware while hiking in the woods, but if it is death that we fear, perhaps we should first consider our driving patterns, and our house pets?

-Amy

Amy Racina
    Author: Angels in the Wilderness
    ISBN: 0971088896

A 60-foot fall onto granite. Both legs shattered. Off-trail. Utterly alone in deep wilderness. Backpacker Amy Racina’s compelling new memoir “Angels in the Wilderness” chronicles her terrifying true-life ordeal.

www.AngelsInTheWilderness.com

10. TopTop #10

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Everydaygoddess:
    It's good to be aware while hiking in the woods, but if it is death that we fear, perhaps we should first consider our driving patterns, and our house pets?

That's good advice. The next time I'm in the woods, defenseless and alone, and encounter a full grown mountain lion, I'll think about how scary the drive home will be.