Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Welcome to the Poetry and Prose category!

Greetings!

I am frequently impressed by the quality of writing of members' posts. I also know that there are many fine poets and writers out there that have something to say and say it SO well! As a further exploration of community, I invite you to post your creative writings here so that they may be shared with the rest of our members.

ORIGINAL Creative writing of all sorts is welcome here on any topic. Given that this for our "conscious community", writings that inspire us to be more conscious, present to all our senses and emotions, compassionate, alive, joyous, and inquisitive of the mystery are particularly welcome and requested!

And I invite those of you who read the posting here, whether or not you consider yourself to be a writer, to share your KIND comments with the rest of us. How did the piece speak to you? What was well done? What could be better? How are you now different for having read it?

While I want this category to focus on the writings of our members, there is also a place for selected poems from people outside our community. Our Poet Laureate, Larry Robinson, will be selecting a poem each day and posting it to his thread here. I look forward to his offering everyday! If you'd like Larry to consider a poem that speaks to you, please send it to him by replying privately to Larry's thread.

Book clubs and any other literary discussisions would also be welcome here. Another idea would be to try some progressive writing exercise, where one person starts a piece and someone else adds the next part...

Blog entries are also welcome here!

So please consider sharing some of your creative writings with us, whether they be new or old, and let us all be enriched by your perspective!

Last edited by Barry; 05-30-2007 at 02:12 PM.

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    Mallory

Re: Welcome to the Poetry and Prose category!

Hi Barry (and interested writers),

I had some extra time tonight to explore more on the site and I found this area which I thought might be interesting. However, when I opened the section and explored a bit I seemed to find an abundance of self-referenced poetry to which no one seems to be responding even though there are a lot of 'views' happening. As a writer I can imagine that if you were looking for responses the absence of response might be disheartening.

What I was actually looking for, I didn't find. I was looking for prose, short stories. I was looking for people talking about writing. I didn't really find either of these. There didn't appear to be any way to differentiate the poetry from any other types of writing and while at times I enjoy reading poetry, I don't want to open posts when I'm not looking for that particular material.

Might there be a way to further define this area under the general heading of WRITING with SUB categories of say: Poetry: subsub: Haiku, Poetry Slam, Sonnets, Free Verse etc... and Prose: subsub: short stories, novels, flash, drabble with a further breakdown into: memoir, literary, romance, western, suspense....etc... Writing Tips, Writing Markets, Getting it Sold etc...

This would re-sort the content and allow members to surf to exactly the material of most interest to them both to participate and to enjoy. You could also include an area prompt which requires anyone posting to also make a comment on another person's work as a courtesy exchange. This would prompt interaction.

As the site currently presents this area it feels more like a poetry poetry site.

Mallory

4. TopTop #3
    scorpiomoon

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Mallory: View Post
    Hi Barry (and interested writers),

I had some extra time tonight to explore more on the site and I found this area which I thought might be interesting. However, when I opened the section and explored a bit I seemed to find an abundance of self-referenced poetry to which no one seems to be responding even though there are a lot of 'views' happening. As a writer I can imagine that if you were looking for responses the absence of response might be disheartening.

What I was actually looking for, I didn't find. I was looking for prose, short stories. I was looking for people talking about writing. I didn't really find either of these. There didn't appear to be any way to differentiate the poetry from any other types of writing and while at times I enjoy reading poetry, I don't want to open posts when I'm not looking for that particular material.

Might there be a way to further define this area under the general heading of WRITING with SUB categories of say: Poetry: subsub: Haiku, Poetry Slam, Sonnets, Free Verse etc... and Prose: subsub: short stories, novels, flash, drabble with a further breakdown into: memoir, literary, romance, western, suspense....etc... Writing Tips, Writing Markets, Getting it Sold etc...

This would re-sort the content and allow members to surf to exactly the material of most interest to them both to participate and to enjoy. You could also include an area prompt which requires anyone posting to also make a comment on another person's work as a courtesy exchange. This would prompt interaction.

As the site currently presents this area it feels more like a poetry poetry site.

Mallory
    what is it Mallory do you want us to explode all at once. I am teatering on the edge and you are bitching. Its not as easy to show the raw thing and honestly. I could write a poem in my sleep and not show it because its a Really sensitive place alright??
    So what I have I'll bring but U absolutely MUST write a poem YOURSELF before you complain again. ANd Barry is watching it too he is slightly bitching but I detest authoritarian systems and they are adverse to opening gracefully I wrote the thing on Halloween it was a decent poem you didnt say ANYTHING so read it AND one more with a quote you know what that is.
    A quote is an aspiring writer saying I'm sure I knowwhat good looks like what feeling is being drawn out and on the edge of a diving board going into the water u WRITE ONE too

5. TopTop #4
    Mallory

Quote Posted in reply to the post by scorpiomoon: View Post
    what is it Mallory do you want us to explode all at once. I am teatering on the edge and you are bitching. Its not as easy to show the raw thing and honestly. I could write a poem in my sleep and not show it because its a Really sensitive place alright??
    So what I have I'll bring but U absolutely MUST write a poem YOURSELF before you complain again. ANd Barry is watching it too he is slightly bitching but I detest authoritarian systems and they are adverse to opening gracefully I wrote the thing on Halloween it was a decent poem you didnt say ANYTHING so read it AND one more with a quote you know what that is.
    A quote is an aspiring writer saying I'm sure I knowwhat good looks like what feeling is being drawn out and on the edge of a diving board going into the water u WRITE ONE too
    Hi Scorpiomoon,

I think my point was that I write very little poetry but a fair amount of prose and often writing forums become actually poetry forums because they are flooded with poetry and no distinction is made between the two forms. I do read some poetry (such as Neruda) but would like to read poetry more by choice than having to open each post to identify its form. I would like to read more short stories or even flash fiction or drabble but in my adventure looking at this forum I didn't find any.

However, I will post one of my pieces since this site does have a filter wall and in bendable viewpoint the work may still be considered unpublished, should I later wish to submit it for sale somewhere. So, I will post something.

M.

6. TopTop #5
    sd gross

Mallory-
    You don't see any prose or short stories?
    Can you hear me now?
    sd gross