Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

  • Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  • Thread Tools
  1. TopTop #1
    helenscott08
     

    Have you had problems getting good fit in bottom denture

    I am having a VERY DIFFICULT time getting my NEW bottom dentures to fit without EXTREME PAIN. It is not just discomfort. My teeth were pulled in February this year and I am still unable to wear the bottom dentures (this is the second denture to be made in this time period).

    During this time I was able to wear them for about 6 to 7 hours on 3 different occassions and would think GREAT, they are working out.

    Then, the next day and for couple of weeks after that, I am unable to wear them. The minute I put the teeth in I have EXTREME PAIN. I could go on and on but that is the jist of the matter.

    My question is, what did you do about it? How did you handle the situation. This is going on too long.

    helen s
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  2. TopTop #2
    ingrace28's Avatar
    ingrace28
     

    Re: Have you had problems getting good fit in bottom denture

    [QUOTE=sassydog]I am having a VERY DIFFICULT time getting my NEW bottom dentures to fit without EXTREME PAIN. It is not just discomfort. My teeth were pulled in February this year and I am still unable to wear the bottom dentures (this is the second denture to be made in this time period).

    During this time I was able to wear them for about 6 to 7 hours on 3 different occassions and would think GREAT, they are working out.

    Then, the next day and for couple of weeks after that, I am unable to wear them. The minute I put the teeth in I have EXTREME PAIN. I could go on and on but that is the jist of the matter.

    My question is, what did you do about it? How did you handle the situation. This is going on too long.

    helen s
    [/QUOTE
    Helen,
    I, too, had new dentures last February. And I am having a very difficult and painful time of it also. I have tried every denture product available with little success (and too much $$).
    I am sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I can truly empathise. Who is your dentist or where did you have it done?
    I have both uppers & lowers. Neither fit right. Are your gums completely healed? Mine aren't. My dentist smiles and says "But they look beautiful!" Sure, they "look" good, but I am in constant pain and can hardly eat right. It's horrible.
    I'm so sad for your problem. Maybe we need to do some inventing. There has to be an easier way, especially for people like me (you?) who don't have lots of $$$$$ for implants, etc.
    Any ideas out there?
    Grace]
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  3. TopTop #3
    Lee Tuley
    Guest

    Re: Have you had problems getting good fit in bottom denture

    Hello,

    i am vitally interested in a solution to this denture issue too. i have an elderly mother - 85 years - who is wasting away from not eating because her dentures don't fit and are painful. she is much too old to deal with this stress and has just given up eating. does anyone out there know of a really great denturist, or other solution?

    gratefully,
    Lee


    Quote:

    I am having a VERY DIFFICULT time getting my NEW bottom dentures to fit without EXTREME PAIN. It is not just discomfort. My teeth were pulled in February this year and I am still unable to wear the bottom dentures (this is the second denture to be made in this time period).

    During this time I was able to wear them for about 6 to 7 hours on 3 different occassions and would think GREAT, they are working out.

    Then, the next day and for couple of weeks after that, I am unable to wear them. The minute I put the teeth in I have EXTREME PAIN. I could go on and on but that is the jist of the matter.

    My question is, what did you do about it? How did you handle the situation. This is going on too long.

    helen s
    Last edited by bhannant; 11-12-2006 at 07:37 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  4. TopTop #4
    Heidi H.
     

    Re: Have you had problems getting good fit in bottom denture

    I think both of your concerns rest in ... bad glue.
    The stuff's toxic and you have created 'toxicity abrasions'.
    It's invisible to the human eye but it is a dermal/membrane message your body is telling you. resistance.
    I wish there was an organic, or natural substance that could be susbstituted.
    Have you heard of anything in this catagory?

    Quote Lee Tuley wrote:
    Hello,

    i am vitally interested in a solution to this denture issue too. i have an elderly mother - 85 years - who is wasting away from not eating because her dentures don't fit and are painful. she is much too old to deal with this stress and has just given up eating. does anyone out there know of a really great denturist, or other solution?

    gratefully,
    Lee


    Quote:

    I am having a VERY DIFFICULT time getting my NEW bottom dentures to fit without EXTREME PAIN. It is not just discomfort. My teeth were pulled in February this year and I am still unable to wear the bottom dentures (this is the second denture to be made in this time period).

    During this time I was able to wear them for about 6 to 7 hours on 3 different occassions and would think GREAT, they are working out.

    Then, the next day and for couple of weeks after that, I am unable to wear them. The minute I put the teeth in I have EXTREME PAIN. I could go on and on but that is the jist of the matter.

    My question is, what did you do about it? How did you handle the situation. This is going on too long.

    helen s
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  5. TopTop #5
    helenscott08
     

    Re: Have you had problems getting good fit in bottom denture

    Thanks to everyone who has responded either privately or publicly.

    Maybe I have a solution, I will know more in a couple of weeks. I have reason to believe that my problem, and maybe yours, is with the boney knobs in the gums. I understand they DO NOT GO AWAY and often have to be REMOVED or I believe someone said SAWED DOWN.

    I have heard others who had this procedure done were finally able to wear their teeth WITHOUT PAIN.

    I have a consultation with an oral surgeon later this month and will let you know if he agrees and if he can help me. I sure hope so. This may help the rest of you as well.

    helen s

    Quote Heidi H. wrote:
    I think both of your concerns rest in ... bad glue.
    The stuff's toxic and you have created 'toxicity abrasions'.
    It's invisible to the human eye but it is a dermal/membrane message your body is telling you. resistance.
    I wish there was an organic, or natural substance that could be susbstituted.
    Have you heard of anything in this catagory?
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  6. TopTop #6
    AnnaLisaW
    Guest

    Re: Have you had problems getting good fit in bottom denture

    Dentures can be the pits. If your dentist isn't helping, get another dentist. If you are on medi-care, good luck. I spent the better part of a year arguing with them over my mother's dentures. I had to get a letter from her MD stating that the lack of proper dentures were causing her health problems. Just saying that she needed her teeth fixed was not good enough. I went to two hearings and filled out god knows how many forms on her behalf. That was about ten years ago. I hear it is harder now. The last time she needed a new set, my brother paid for them, cash, bless him.
    Mom and both wear dentures. A new set always takes time to get used to. (If they are made properly, they should not require glue until the gums recede.) Try wearing them for a short period of time each day and then slowly lengthen the time you wear them. There will be sore spots even on well made dentures. take it easy at first.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  7. TopTop #7
    drumstori
     

    Re: Have you had problems getting good fit in bottom denture

    hello all, i have worked in the dental field for 12 years and am very glad to find this topic online.. after i quit work, i thought about being an advocate to elders and others regarding dental treatment... you see there is a new wave i call " cadillac dentistry" that costs a bundle and isnt so necessary. then there is "volkswagon dentistry" that basically treats whats wrong and keeps the mouth working.. i am glad to advise anyone on there treatment plans.. and i probaly can save you money..

    as to the denture problems , i have great sympathy to you all, especially the woman with the 85 yr old mom... this is a serious problem and i can only say that those of us who have teeth want to keep them.. im not meaning implants etc.. i mean brush and floss every day.... its sounds contrite but its what you need to do to keep the gum health happy.. of course dont suck on sugar candies ... unfortunaltely dentures dont ever feel like the real thing and one has to have a tough mouth to tolerate them.. ( smoothing the boney protrutions is a good direction )
    as to the elder mom, smoothies and nutrious soups is best... my old mom never tolerated them... they need to make them with softer materials...
    stori
    [QUOTE=ingrace28]
    Quote sassydog wrote:
    I am having a VERY DIFFICULT time getting my NEW bottom dentures to fit without EXTREME PAIN. It is not just discomfort. My teeth were pulled in February this year and I am still unable to wear the bottom dentures (this is the second denture to be made in this time period).

    During this time I was able to wear them for about 6 to 7 hours on 3 different occassions and would think GREAT, they are working out.

    Then, the next day and for couple of weeks after that, I am unable to wear them. The minute I put the teeth in I have EXTREME PAIN. I could go on and on but that is the jist of the matter.

    My question is, what did you do about it? How did you handle the situation. This is going on too long.

    helen s
    [/QUOTE
    Helen,
    I, too, had new dentures last February. And I am having a very difficult and painful time of it also. I have tried every denture product available with little success (and too much $$).
    I am sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I can truly empathise. Who is your dentist or where did you have it done?
    I have both uppers & lowers. Neither fit right. Are your gums completely healed? Mine aren't. My dentist smiles and says "But they look beautiful!" Sure, they "look" good, but I am in constant pain and can hardly eat right. It's horrible.
    I'm so sad for your problem. Maybe we need to do some inventing. There has to be an easier way, especially for people like me (you?) who don't have lots of $$$$$ for implants, etc.
    Any ideas out there?
    Grace]
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  8. TopTop #8
    Juggledude's Avatar
    Juggledude
    Founding Member

    Re: Have you had problems getting good fit in bottom denture

    Quote drumstori wrote:
    hello all, i have worked in the dental field for 12 years and am very glad to find this topic online.. after i quit work, i thought about being an advocate to elders and others regarding dental treatment... you see there is a new wave i call " cadillac dentistry" that costs a bundle and isnt so necessary. then there is "volkswagon dentistry" that basically treats whats wrong and keeps the mouth working.. i am glad to advise anyone on there treatment plans.. and i probaly can save you money..

    as to the denture problems , i have great sympathy to you all, especially the woman with the 85 yr old mom... this is a serious problem and i can only say that those of us who have teeth want to keep them.. im not meaning implants etc.. i mean brush and floss every day.... its sounds contrite but its what you need to do to keep the gum health happy.. of course dont suck on sugar candies ... unfortunaltely dentures dont ever feel like the real thing and one has to have a tough mouth to tolerate them.. ( smoothing the boney protrutions is a good direction )
    as to the elder mom, smoothies and nutrious soups is best... my old mom never tolerated them... they need to make them with softer materials...
    stori
    Stori,

    I appreciate your good advice, and would love to hear more about your views on cadillac vs volkswagon dentistry. What did you do for 12 year in the dental industry? Why did you quit?

    Royce
    Last edited by Barry; 11-27-2006 at 09:52 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  9. TopTop #9
    helenscott08
     

    Re: Have you had problems getting good fit in bottom denture

    Quote sassydog wrote:
    I am having a VERY DIFFICULT time getting my NEW bottom dentures to fit without EXTREME PAIN. It is not just discomfort. My teeth were pulled in February this year and I am still unable to wear the bottom dentures (this is the second denture to be made in this time period).

    During this time I was able to wear them for about 6 to 7 hours on 3 different occassions and would think GREAT, they are working out.

    Then, the next day and for couple of weeks after that, I am unable to wear them. The minute I put the teeth in I have EXTREME PAIN. I could go on and on but that is the jist of the matter.

    My question is, what did you do about it? How did you handle the situation. This is going on too long.

    helen s
    UPDATE: I went to NOVATO last Wednesday and met with an oral dental surgeon to see if he could do anything for me with regard to the boney knobs in my gums. He advised me that HE CAN HELP ME and that it will make my dentures fit more comfortably and I should be able to wear them...barring complications of course. Now all I am doing is waiting for insurance approval and hopefully BY END OF YEAR, or very early in 07, I will be able to wear the dentures without pain.

    I will keep you updated on progress. I hope this will help others suffering from same condition get some help.

    helen scott



    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email