Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    pearl g

Cannabis Grow on Sanders Road...

An interesting development in our neighborhood. Kozlowski farms' proposal is to build a 5000 sq. ft. greenhouse to cultivate with another existing building to be used for processing. The 3 lots are on Sanders Rd between Watertrough and Barnett Valley.
    Let's see how this one plays out.
    I don't expect any opposition as The Kozlowskies have been good neighbors. Too bad it involves a lot of water usage. Other than that, I am not opposed.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    ChefJayTay

Re: Cannabis Grow on Sanders Road...

Unless there's a specific regulation you haven't mentioned they're breaking... Good for them.
    Unsure what water usage you're talking about. It's a farm. They're plants.

People need to get over it. It's legal.

3. Gratitude expressed by:

4. TopTop #3
    tommy

The 21 acre Kozlowski Farms property on Hwy 116 in Forestville, is for sale for $8.9M.

This raises the question of how this sale would affect their property on Sanders Rd.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ChefJayTay: View Post
    Unless there's a specific regulation you haven't mentioned they're breaking... Good for them.
    Unsure what water usage you're talking about. It's a farm. They're plants.

People need to get over it. It's legal.

5. TopTop #4
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by pearl g: View Post
    An interesting development in our neighborhood. Kozlowski farms' proposal is to build a 5000 sq. ft. greenhouse to cultivate with another existing building to be used for processing. ...
    I presume they growing berries and not cannabis, right???

6. TopTop #5
    Jeff Snook

The Kozlowski's should expect tremendous opposition and not necessarily from the neighbors who live around the proposed cannabis farm. The opposition will come from people who don't know the Kozlowskis or for that matter even know where this proposed farm is located. The most fierce opposition will come from strangers who oppose cannabis everywhere out of doors, The are ignorant and determined which is a dangerous combination.

The Kozlowski's probably have seen the ridiculous arguments in favor of cannabis prohibition and hopefully they are prepared to wade into this quagmire of intolerance.

Additionally, unless they have stated their anticipated water consumption, presumption of use is just make believe.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by pearl g: View Post
    An interesting development in our neighborhood. Kozlowski farms' proposal is to build a 5000 sq. ft. greenhouse to cultivate with another existing building to be used for processing. The 3 lots are on Sanders Rd between Watertrough and Barnett Valley.
    Let's see how this one plays out.
    I don't expect any opposition as The Kozlowskies have been good neighbors. Too bad it involves a lot of water usage. Other than that, I am not opposed.

7. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

8. TopTop #6
    tommy

I beg to differ... w your stm "The most fierce opposition will come from strangers who oppose cannabis everywhere out of doors, The are ignorant and determined which is a dangerous combination. ...The Kozlowski's probably have seen the ridiculous arguments in favor of cannabis prohibition and hopefully they are prepared to wade into this quagmire of intolerance."

I've been to public meetings where neighbors oppose cannabis cultivation for good reasons:
    - they use huge amts of water without regard for neighbors wells
    - inappropriate land use designation by County
    - they bring a commercial operation, & associated traffic, parking, noise, potential crime, & blight, into a bucolic residential neighborhood
    - the odor

Why else were all the neighbors opposed to the cannabis farm next to the bike path in Graton?
    Last edited by Barry; 03-13-2019 at 02:31 PM.

9. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

10. TopTop #7
    ChefJayTay

Tommy... wow. Just wow.

1. they use no more water than a farm. Please explain how they use more if you disagree. Be specific.
    2. These laws were formed by committee, and obviously weren't very well done if we had to go back and change them already.
    3. So Kozlowski Farm isn't a commercial operation?
    4. What odor? All I smell is cow poo.

11. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

12. TopTop #8
    rossmen

To compare this application to the one in Graton is interesting. And inappropriate. Prohibition is alive and well in soco. Clearly, the propertied residents are upset with the wine industry and taking it out on pot growers trying to legalize. The water use of vineyards is recorded and yes, smaller aquifers have been sucked dry, but Green valley is water rich, and to permit pot, water responsibility is part of the long, torturous and denied process, unlike every other agricultural endeavor.

The advantage of cannabis, of course we could argue whether food, fermented food, or smoked food was the inspiration for agriculture (clearly food is the simplest explaination), is the small amount of land needed to supply demand. This won't be in soco. The Kowalski family are admirable for trying to make a go here. Probably won't wor

Quote Posted in reply to the post by tommy: View Post
    ...I've been to public meetings where neighbors oppose cannabis cultivation for good reasons: ...
    Last edited by Barry; 03-14-2019 at 12:49 PM.

13. Gratitude expressed by:

14. TopTop #9
    tommy

At a neighborhood mtg I attended, a family living next to a pot farm said their well had gone dry, due to the water use of the pot farm.

There's been alot written about SoCo pot laws. It seems like the state laws favor large operations at the expense of small growers. I'm not an expert on them. However, the position of the neighbors of the pot farm, was that it was a commercial operation, had traffic, activity, noise, etc much greater than a typical agr use, and that it has degraded the formerly bucolic residential nature of area.

Pot has a distinctive "skunk weed" smell. Do you like the smell of skunk spray? If you like it, you'd probably like the smell of weed. One think I treasure is clean air. I think a pot farm probably degrades the air.

Tommy... wow. Just wow.

1. they use no more water than a farm. Please explain how they use more if you disagree. Be specific.
    2. These laws were formed by committee, and obviously weren't very well done if we had to go back and change them already.
    3. So Kozlowski Farm isn't a commercial operation?
    4. What odor? All I smell is cow poo.

15. Gratitude expressed by:

16. TopTop #10
    deepresto

In response to your statement "they use no more water than a farm" here are some specifics. Actually cannabis uses a great deal of water. Much more than vegetables or many fruits.
    Below are varying estimates of water use:

• Calif. Dept. of Fish & Wildlife estimates 6 gallons per day, per plant. At that rate 1 acre outdoor with spacing 1 plant per 8 sq. ft = 5445 plants using 32,670 gallons/day or over 5 million gallons in 5 months.
    • Tim Blake (grower, Emerald Cup winner): up to 15 gal/day at maturity. 60,000-75,000 gallons in 5 months to raise 25 plants
    • From CUP applications: 10,000 ft = 350 plants outdoor, 65, 500 gal in 5 months. (1 gal/day during weeks 1-12, 5 g/day during weeks 13-22)
      • 1 acre OD, ML, ID combo: 2,118,032 gal per year (5803 gal/day over a 365 day year)
    These numbers, (just like reported vineyard and winery use) show wide disparity due to differences in growing techniques and/or under-reporting of estimated use.
    And then there are the large number of illegal grows who just use the water and don't estimate or report.

Water is a crucial community resource and not to be used for the profit of a few.
    ...1. they use no more water than a farm. Please explain how they use more if you disagree. Be specific...
    Last edited by Barry; 03-15-2019 at 09:51 AM.

17. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

18. TopTop #11
    Jeff Snook

I don't have time to properly address all of the bullshit in this comment but I will get to some. You see, with all of the rain, my security moat has over-topped and it seems a few of the alligators might have washed into Atascadero Creek. The sun is coming up and it is the best time to track them.

First of all your 'specifics' are meaning less and you know that. These 'facts' were trolled from various sites without any thought to context or relevancy.

Cal Fish and Wildlife: Nobody grows plants on 8 sq ft spacing, nobody uses 6 gallons/day for 5 months per plant so the 5 million gallons is so far from reality that it doesn't even rate as bullshit. Just blatant lying

Tim Blake is the owner /manager of the Emerald Cup and I will send him a link to this thread in case he would like to comment on his name being used to further the lies of the Sonoma County Astroturf League.

CUP application: Where is this CUP. Is it even in Sonoma County. Come on you can tell us, it's all public records don't you know. Even your use of mathematics is dishonest on this one.
    The 'OD, ML ,ID combo', what the hell does that mean? Is this part of the CUP in question or did you bring up a different location in order to throw some more meaningless numbers onto the page.

Then you try to mitigate your nonsense with a disclaimer about under reporting, different growing techniques and black market growers. More bullshit trying masquerading as information.

Finally I would like to address your throwaway statement about cannabis using 'Much more then vegetables or many fruits'. Which vegetable and many fruits are you talking about? Do you have any handy stats to quote on water use for veggies and fruits. If you do please take the time to do a honest comparison and then explain your results clearly.

Water is a serious matter and I hope next time you will be honest with your numbers and not just pick a few that please your agenda.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by deepresto: View Post
    In response to your statement "they use no more water than a farm" here are some specifics. ...

19. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

20. TopTop #12
    tommy

Regarding your post, I always notice that people who don't know what they're talking about, often use alot of profanity... to try to impress or shock you... since they don't have any facts to back up their position.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Jeff Snook: View Post
    I don't have time to properly address all of the bullshit in this comment but I will get to some..

21. TopTop #13
    ChefJayTay

Regarding your post, I always notice that people who don't know what they're talking about, often use alot of profanity... to try to impress or shock you... since they don't have any facts to back up their position.
    He didn't need any to blow a half dozen holes in the theory. Don't try to swap the burden of proof.

22. TopTop #14
    Jeff Snook

Regarding you post.

I noticed you didn't actually say anything about water, it's use by your neighbors who are not cannabis farmers, or really anything at all relevant to this thread about water.

I find your conclusions about my not having any facts to backup my position mystifying.

From the content of your posts it is very clear that you don't have a fucking clue what you are talking about when you talk about water and/ or cannabis.

You represent the lowest form of commentator: uninformed and opinionated

23. Gratitude expressed by:

24. TopTop #15
    eddierosenthal
    Supporting Member

i know nothing about growing plants, and have a black thumb. Things would die if i attempted to grow anything. However this article seems to have a lot of science and experience behind it. If someone would extrapolate this information and apply it to some three syllable farm, i am sure all would appreciate it. At least in that article it seems there are a lot of variations and need to qualify, so nothing is absolute. Its more of a general article than anything else i guess.

This other article seems more in tune with a farmers landscape needs for growing the plant. For that equation you will need to know how many actual flowering plants are going to be in the land. Whatever the results however, i would echo that it will cost water, and is a resource that can become scarce. Its a risk to growers, as at any time, like any farmer, and unsubsidized as well, could be both time consuming and unfruitful.

As for neighbors, i can tell you it stinks, and that was in a residential neighborhood with just a few plants. If it is for a good cause i am all for it, but if it is just to make money fast, i do not approve. IMHO

25. TopTop #16
    tommy

Again, the use of profanity indicates a lack of any real knowledge.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Jeff Snook: View Post
    ...From the content of your posts it is very clear that you don't have a fucking clue what you are talking about when you talk about water and/ or cannabis.

You represent the lowest form of commentator: uninformed and opinionated

26. TopTop #17
    Shandi

Fortunately, wineries use of water doesn't profit "just a few", but many, especially the vineyard owners, the wine drinkers, and maybe even the laborers who get to work in the pesticide ridden fields.

Cannabis growers wouldn't spray their plants with pesticides, like vineyards do. I know this is off topic, but do wine drinkers even realize that vineyards use pesticides, and most likely Round Up? Yum, good enough to drink! Sorry, I don't have the stats at hand, but have read it in the past.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by deepresto: View Post
    ...Water is a crucial community resource and not to be used for the profit of a few.
    Last edited by Barry; 03-20-2019 at 01:59 PM.