Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Best of Political Humor - February 2019 - Discussion

I have decided to limit Ray50sfo to 1 post per week with up to 3 cartoons. I have been uncomfortable with the quantity and quality of his posted cartoons, and today he posted one that I consider wholly inappropriate (at right).

I may post right-leaning cartoons from time to time, that I feel meet the quality level of the left-leaning ones that I regularly post. So brace yourselves! :)

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

3. TopTop #2
    ray50sfo

Re: Best of Political Humor - February 2019 - Discussion

The Ministry of Truth has spoken.

Of course, none of the Trump bashing cartoons are inappropriate or too frequent...But hey, I'm ok with your decision; after all, like they said on the First Family record back in the early 60's, "It's your football."

Having lived in Sebastopol for 10 years I know how fragile the balance of political opinion is.

I wish you all well in the echo chamber of far left delights. Keep singing to the choir. I'm loving my life and it will continue that way. Perhaps I'll see you at the next picnic. See if you can pick me out of the crowd. I doubt it.

Hatred is what separates us, and I have none for any of you, your opinions nor those being made fun of. Namaste'

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    I have decided to limit Ray50sfo to 1 post per week with up to 3 cartoons. ...

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #3
    ray50sfo

What's inappropriate and obscene is that the democrat owned press buries Kamala Harris's well known affairs with Willie Brown which, I'm sure, didn't hurt her career.

... and today he posted one that I consider wholly inappropriate ...

6. TopTop #4
    occihoff

I'm actually rather sorry to have you limit Ray's cartoon posts, Barry. Only three per week is awfully severe. It is really interesting to be exposed to a different point of political view, and some of the artists are brilliant! At the same time I have to admit that I just don't "get" quite a few of them. I wish Ray would actually explain the "point" of the more puzzling ones, although I realize that this would itself be absurd.

I think that Ray has been a breath of fresh air here. I only wish he would actually respond to the many questions I and some others have asked. It makes me feel I've been wasting my precious time. And I wish he would ask memore questions. This forum could be a golden opportunity for understanding across political lines. I think there's been too much tit for tat needling, and it's a waste of time.
    I have decided to limit Ray50sfo to 1 post per week with up to 3 cartoons. ...

7. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

8. TopTop #5
    occihoff

Just after posting my dismay at your decision to limit Ray's cartoon posts, I saw his more recent ones regarding Kamala Harris, and the guy with his hair on fire. I have to say, Ray, that these cartoons are absolutely crazy! What is the point of just declaring that Harris is a whore, or suggesting that Democrats are all just rampant liars?? You are making yourself look like a total gross fool, and I'm disappointed with you!

9. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

10. TopTop #6
    occihoff

So you're saying that this makes her a whore?! What a mean spirited reaction to a person's private sexual relationships! What do you know about it , anyway? And what are your reactions to Trump's crude sexual boasting about feeling up women and saying that he can get away with it because he's famous and powerful?

You started out in this forum sounding like an intelligent and reasonable person of a right-wing bent, but sadly you have been degenerating into an absolute asshole! I tried my best to develop a curious and respectful relationship with you but you have responded little to my questions, and now this crap.

And by the way, I detest the vile vibrations that have become attached to "whores," who are simply women who are making money by sexually pleasing men that apparently have no recourse to satisfying personal erotic relationships with women. I imagine most of these women would greatly prefer to be making a living in more agreeable ways. The whole ugly vibration of the term "whore" in our culture attests to the deeply ingrained sexual puritanism that remains in spite of all efforts to liberalize and cleanse the ugly stain of prudery from our souls.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ray50sfo: View Post
    What's inappropriate and obscene is that the democrat owned press buries Kamala Harris's well known affairs with Willie Brown which, I'm sure, didn't hurt her career.

11. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

12. TopTop #7
    ray50sfo

First, it's HUMOR.

I found it a funny, if not vulgar, twist on the "I'm With Her" slogan that, fortunately, helped get Trump elected. You may not find it funny. Many people do not find the lame SNL sketches funny either, but they appear on this board, and they are equally demeaning and insulting. I don't see any outrage here about that; the story I make up is that it is because they're directed at an ACCEPTABLE target of hate, Trump. Physician, heal thyself.

Second point is the way the Deep State Democrat Corporate Media suppresses Democrat scandal, such as Ms. Harris's career advancement at the hands of Willie Brown. Or Diane Feinstein's husband's companies getting dozens of federal and state contracts worth billions of taxpayer dollars and favorable trading deals with China. I'm sure there's no abuse of power or influence peddling there...nothing to see here, folks. In fact, it's called FAKE NEWS in part because of the selective nature of what's not reported. Call it what you will. If they had been right of center politicians doing the exact same things, you can be sure they would have been vilified in non-stop 24/7 coverage.

So someone expressing ideas outside of your sensibilities and comfort zone justifies name calling them an "asshole"? I revel in your refinement, moral high ground and superiority.

More to come...
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by occihoff: View Post
    So you're saying that this makes her a whore?! What a mean spirited reaction to a person's private sexual relationships! What do you know about it , anyway? ...
    Last edited by Barry; 02-08-2019 at 08:50 AM.

13. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

14. TopTop #8
    Glia

The case can be made that the current "pay for play" donation-based campaign financing system has made all politicians de-facto whores, regardless of gender or sexual conduct.

On a related but quite tangential note, the same can be said of the fee-for-service for-profit medical industry making all doctors practicing in the U.S. into de-facto whores.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by occihoff: View Post
    ... And by the way, I detest the vile vibrations that have become attached to "whores," who are simply women who are making money by sexually pleasing men that apparently have no recourse to satisfying personal erotic relationships with women. I imagine most of these women would greatly prefer to be making a living in more agreeable ways. The whole ugly vibration of the term "whore" in our culture attests to the deeply ingrained sexual puritanism that remains in spite of all efforts to liberalize and cleanse the ugly stain of prudery from our souls.

15. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

16. TopTop #9
    podfish

if she paid him off to keep it quiet, it'd be news. You really don't get the difference between this and the Stormy (etc.) stuff? which is itself given a fairly low level of attention - given that it's only one of dozens of measures of hypocrisy, it's not all that newsworthy.

17. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

18. TopTop #10
    podfish

The Ministry of Truth has spoken.

Of course, none of the Trump bashing cartoons are inappropriate or too frequent...But hey, I'm ok with your decision; after all, like they said on the First Family record back in the early 60's, "It's your football."'
    you really don't get this either? "whore" comes from nowhere and has no claim to relevance of anything, so yeah, it's inappropriate. Most of your other selections have been insipid, obvious, and don't add anything but a numeric balance: five from a lefty perspective must be countered by five of the righty, regardless of quality. You've already disavowed (well, to be fair, not you, your defenders) the validity of analyzing the artistic, risibilistic (??) qualities, or insight/accuracy of political observation displayed within a cartoon. But I bet that if they were funny or perceptive, Barry'd leave them all there. Don't fall into the trap of feeling victimized because the leftys don't like your perspective -- it's that the posts are pretty much spammy.

19. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

20. TopTop #11
    occihoff

Thanks for your response, Ray,

First let me say that I've never heard the "I'm With Her" slogan, and I just don't have time to indulge in the SNL sketches, although I always enjoy the cartoons, and now I find myself engulfed in this interesting discussion sparked by you.

Second, I have no expectations that all these Democratic politicians are above board. I'm quite cynical and angry about money in politics all around. In general though I do prefer Democratic policies to Republican ones because I find them much kinder to everyday people as opposed to rich people. For me it's really as simple as that.

What I resent is your demeaning of Harris, or anyone else for that matter, because of her apparently consensual sexual relationship with Willie Brown. That's none of your or anyone else's damn business. If you have evidence that she's used that relationship for unfair political gain, present it. I would feel the same about anyone demeaning a Republican for his or her personal sexual life. Politicians, like anyone else, have a right to make love with whomever they want as long as it's consensual, not involved with graft, and providing they don't hypocritically attack other people for doing the same.

In the case of Trump, he was caught on camera boasting about how he could feel up any woman he wanted to, and get away with it because he's famous. I find that truly disgusting! If on the other hand it was discovered that he was having a consensual relationship with a woman other than his wife, and not being hypocritical about it, I would consider that his own business. As a matter of fact he apparently has had sex with other women. This, again, is none of my business.

I also objected to your "hair on fire" cartoon implying that all liberals are nothing but rampant liars. I would similarly object if the man in the cartoon was presented as a conservative. Then there were the cartoons representing Democrats as a slovenly creep putting down a reasonable looking man wearing a Republican cap, or the car roaring away with drunken liberals cursing and tossing trash. This is just stupid lowbrow crap, and I would feel the same if the political identities in the cartoons had been reversed.

I invite you, Ray, to present any of the liberal cartoons posted by Barry in this forum as examples of the kind of gutter "humor" I have been complaining about, and let's discuss it. Let's stop trading barbs and sparring about who's open minded and who's rigid, and have a reasonable discussion about policy!

I ask you to refrain from lumping me in some category of people who feel fine about putting right wingers down but can't take criticism about their left wing attitudes. You seem to be inclined to present yourself as a victim of left wing prejudice in this forum whenever you are disagreed with. There may be some truth to that in some cases, but I ask you to take me as an individual. I have asked you over and over to discuss specific issues with me, but except for your commendable research on Sweden's health care system you have not done so. And you never addressed my response to that post.

I'm not really expecting to change each other's minds, but I would truly like us to come to a deeper understanding of each other.

First, it's HUMOR. ...More to come...
    Last edited by Barry; 02-08-2019 at 11:28 PM.

21. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

22. TopTop #12
    ray50sfo

Thank you. I appreciate and respect your reply. There's such a large volume of information involved in our discussion. The effort in writing it all down or sending links would equal or exceed a doctoral dissertation. I'm not shrinking from the task, just suggesting a change of venue and a personal connection.

Perhaps you would be comfortable replying to me privately and we could meet in person in a cafe for a cup and begin a dialogue. The extent of the brainwashing and mind control of the public is almost inconceivable. Think the Matrix. Let's get together as fellow humans of goodwill and go from there.

In friendship,

Ray