Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    annabythesea

Looking for someone who know how to glaze windows

Hello,
    We're looking for someone who knows how to glaze windows the old fashioned way and wants to pick up some extra cash.
    We have the putty and the tools, just need someone to glaze 3 older windows. which have been cleaned and are ready for glazing.. This would happen at our house in Santa Rosa as we can't move the windows until they have cured.
    Must be neat and leave a finished edge that is sealed and waterproof.
    Will pay $80. for all 3 windows.
    If interested, call Anna 707-595-1207 Thanks!
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Mayacaman

Re: Looking for someone who know how to glaze windows

This one ( i ) can glaze your windows for you, professionally and in the old school manner.
    I can also paint the glazed windows - and they should be painted - to seal the finished product.
    I did it for years & years...
    You may reach me, Mark @
    (707) 538-1720

Last edited by Barry; 01-20-2019 at 12:52 PM.

3. TopTop #3
    MikeH

Yes after the putty has dried then paint needs to be applied again. Also before putting the putty we used to brush linseed oil on the bare wood in that grove where the edge of the glass sits.

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #4
    Mayacaman

Linseed oil certainly doesn't do the wood any harm, prior to applying the joint compound -or- putty. And peanut oil also works just as well - if not better - since it fortifies the wood. It also helps to preserve the wood - considerably - by adding a couple of heaping tablespoons of powdered Lime or Dolomite to whichever oil you use. That helps to calcify the wood, and restore some ballast to the empty chambers of the dry cellulose cells...

Also - and this is very old school - In order to prep it properly, one should use enamel primer (white), thin it considerably (with paint thinner,) and then paint the entire window casement with a thin coat of primer. [The paint should be thinned in order for it to seep
    properly into the pores of the wood.] A second, thicker coat of primer (still using a little thinner,) also should be applied before any putty or joint compound is squeezed in with the putty knife.

That is the proper, old school, way to do the job - the way the apprenticed, professional painters used to do it back in the 1930's. I met some of those old chaps back in the day, and was told that in the interiors of the shops in Carmel, they would use eight coats of enamel. The finished product would last for forty years.

No one can afford to do that today. But then again in today's world painters are not taught these things, and most of them wouldn't practice these steps, even if they knew the
    proper procedure. Nowadays, also, putty doesn't remain around the windows very long. Go figure...

6. Gratitude expressed by: