Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Shandi

What Do You Think About Pet Adoptions during the holidays?

Have you ever adopted a pet during the holidays? Have you ever been gifted with one, or given one as a holiday gift? Would you like it if someone gave you a pet as a holiday gift?

I've noticed that many shelters seem to reduce the price of adoptions at this time, which surprises me, because it seems to lack foresight into the realities of many homes at this stressful time. In addition, there are so many more toxic items to watch out for like chocolate, tinsel, ornaments, ribbons and the water that the tree sits in.

Look what Germany is doing:

https://pictures-of-cats.org/germany...comment-842145

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    gypsey

Re: What Do You Think About Pet Adoptions during the holidays?

Shandi, Thanks for bringing up this important subject. In addition to all the excitement and stress as well as potential for toxic items, this is not the best time in my opinion to introduce children to the responsibilities as well as the joys of pet ownership. Although my family never adopted a pet at the holidays, when I was 13 I received my first horse for Christmas (what can I say, I was one lucky kid.) Best of all, I did NOT receive her on Christmas. Instead I received a stuffed toy horse and a picture of her with her name, letting me know that while we would visit her the next day, she would not be coming home until after New Year's Day. Perhaps some similar routine could be used for shelters with dogs and cats, the fees paid and visits made but the pets left safely at the shelter or foster home until after the holidays? Or is my suggestion too "over the top"?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    Have you ever adopted a pet during the holidays? Have you ever been gifted with one, or given one as a holiday gift? Would you like it if someone gave you a pet as a holiday gift?

I've noticed that many shelters seem to reduce the price of adoptions at this time, which surprises me, because it seems to lack foresight into the realities of many homes at this stressful time. In addition, there are so many more toxic items to watch out for like chocolate, tinsel, ornaments, ribbons and the water that the tree sits in.

Look what Germany is doing:

https://pictures-of-cats.org/germany...comment-842145

3. Gratitude expressed by:

4. TopTop #3
    deepresto

I too appreciate Shandi for having brought this topic to my attention. I never gave or received a pet for Christmas as a child, and as an adult either would be out of the question. I think what Germany & Ireland are doing is really a favor to the animals. Many people have no business adopting a pet at all, let alone during the holidays and even the best of us have too much going on then to fully acknowledge the animal's needs.

Wow, Gypsey---you must have a great family. I like your ideas, too bad they're not enforceable. A moratorium at holiday time is a good idea but I'm tellin' you folks---not gonna happen. That is, unless the agencies voluntarily do it. I'm doubtful.

5. Gratitude expressed by:

6. TopTop #4
    Shandi

Thank you for your response.

It seems that you came from a wise and thoughtful family.

I wish that the shelters would consider this issue more carefully, rather than being complicit in trying to get more pets into homes at Xmas, with reduced adoption rates. I wonder if it may have something to do with increasing their stats by the year's end? It seems that could be accomplished by your suggestion of having fees paid, but pets left at shelters/fosters til after New Year's Day.

Sometimes the animals are given to lonely seniors, as a surprise to replace the loss of their pet. This is a nice gesture, but even then, it's important to make sure that the senior is ready and capable of caring for another pet.

7. TopTop #5
    Terrance

I think adoption is always a great idea. And as said above I also think that it's a nice opportunity to introduce kids to the responsibilities.

8. TopTop #6
    Shandi

Terrance, Do you think that adoptions at Xmas time is also a great idea?

I think most of the time, it's the parents who take the responsibility for the pets, mostly. Not like the old days.

My son recently bought a puppy, and said that his wife will probably be the responsible one, not the kids. That was disappointing, but I've seen it in every home I've worked in with pets and kids.

I'd love to hear from Wacco members who's children have responsibility for the pets. That would be heartening!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Terrance: View Post
    I think adoption is always a great idea. And as said above I also think that it's a nice opportunity to introduce kids to the responsibilities.

9. TopTop #7
    gypsey

Children cannot be expected to suddenly take on responsibilities that are new to them. They need to be introduced in an age-appropriate way. Some wise parents start out by having their child help out at a local shelter walking or caring for the animals. Then, with parental guidance they might foster a pet as the next stage. Age-appropriate is an important concept so that the child's expectations and abilities are matched to the pet's needs and the parents' ability to guide and support. When I was young, we began having responsibility for feeding our pets at around age 7, but we often had to be reminded. I've been fortunate to see parents at our local dog park introducing their children to the joys and tasks involved with pet care and seeing these parents, I know their children are off to a great start as a responsible pet partner. But not all parents are up for the challenge or understand what is involved.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    Terrance, Do you think that adoptions at Xmas time is also a great idea?

I think most of the time, it's the parents who take the responsibility for the pets, mostly. Not like the old days.

My son recently bought a puppy, and said that his wife will probably be the responsible one, not the kids. That was disappointing, but I've seen it in every home I've worked in with pets and kids.

I'd love to hear from Wacco members who's children have responsibility for the pets. That would be heartening!

10. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

11. TopTop #8
    juna

Sadly, I have witnessed adults not taking care of their new pets. They think they know it all and then the pet dies or is abused. Sure wish pet owner candidates had to take a test before they can adopt a pet.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by gypsey: View Post
    Children cannot be expected to suddenly take on responsibilities that are new to them. ....
    Last edited by Barry; 01-06-2019 at 02:47 PM.

12. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

13. TopTop #9
    Shandi

Thank you for sharing this!
    Last edited by Barry; 01-06-2019 at 02:46 PM.

14. TopTop #10
    wisewomn

Well said, Gypsey. Another thing that needs to be considered is that children develop other interests outside the home when they enter adolescence and pets no longer figure prominently in their lives. That is when an involved and committed adult must step in to care for the pet. Otherwise, the pet is likely to be ignored, neglected, or dumped. That's just a fact of life in my experience.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by gypsey: View Post
    Children cannot be expected to suddenly take on responsibilities that are new to them. They need to be introduced in an age-appropriate way. Some wise parents start out by having their child help out at a local shelter walking or caring for the animals. Then, with parental guidance they might foster a pet as the next stage. Age-appropriate is an important concept so that the child's expectations and abilities are matched to the pet's needs and the parents' ability to guide and support. When I was young, we began having responsibility for feeding our pets at around age 7, but we often had to be reminded. I've been fortunate to see parents at our local dog park introducing their children to the joys and tasks involved with pet care and seeing these parents, I know their children are off to a great start as a responsible pet partner. But not all parents are up for the challenge or understand what is involved.

15. Gratitude expressed by: