Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Robert Jacob

Keep Sebastopol's Progressive City Council in place

Dear Sebastopol Voter,

Prepare to VOTE!

I am writing you today to urge that you cast your local votes for the incumbent candidates for Sebastopol City Council, Sarah Gurney, Una Glass, and Patrick Slayter. These three have been moving Sebastopol into the modern era of implementing environmental policies, enhancing our local economy, and increasing the quality of life for as many as is possible. They understand that these goals are interdependent, not mutually exclusive.

We are very fortunate. Sebastopol is known for its beautiful natural environment from the Laguna Park to Ragle Ranch. Our local city departments keep us safe, our city maintained, and move projects along. We have a hardworking council that supports this. They are also fiscally prudent, dedicated to saving money for a rainy day like the one we had back in 2008.

You get three votes for local council, and I wholeheartedly endorse keeping Sebastopol moving in the right direction. Remember to vote before or on Tuesday, November 6, Election Day. If you are not registered or know someone that needs to register follow this link to register online for free with the California Secretary of State: https://registertovote.ca.gov/

Again, please vote for incumbent candidates Sarah Gurney, Una Glass, and Patrick Slayter. Spread the word! I have served on the council with these three progressive leaders. They are hardworking public servants. They have kept public safety and patient access at the forefront of their cannabis policy decision making, a feat their citizenry appreciates. Their dedication to develop public and private solar programs, balance the budget, build affordable housing for our workforce and elders, and keep our city safe is second to none.

Join me in supporting council-candidates who have shown their true colors. From the City Hall and library sustainable-landscape project, to the secured affordable housing in Park Village - this council gets the job done. Let’s give them another term to do even more!

Sincerely,

Robert Jacob
    Former Mayor of Sebastopol and Councilmember
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Norbu

Am disappointed in them of late

Hi Robert,
    I have always supported the current city council with my vote and also political contributions. However I am disappointed and dismayed by their plans to sell a parking lot that is essential for keeping business vital in the downtown in order to provide some scant housing, but principally to raise money for a new city hall. That is a huge mistake and I'm afraid will result in many vacate stores in our downtown

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #3

Re: Keep Sebastopol's Progressive City Council in place

Yes, I agree. Of course we need more affordable housing here but not in this location. Let's put it on that big empty lot on Morris street and keep what little parking we have downtown.

Lilith

6. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

7. TopTop #4
    ChefJayTay

I am frustrated with our current council.

The barlow development, which they have repeatedly failed to restrain, is killing (what is left at this point) of main st. They will never be successful rebuilding a downtown when the businesses in the Barlow have a built in marketing team and signs EVERYWHERE (the giant logos on Guyaki weren't enough, they had to add giant banners and roadside signs too?).

Now they want to replace valuable parking for those businesses with housing, that won't provide the workers those businesses need. At the same time, multiple plots in town that housing could be placed on remain for sale.

This said, I still support the incumbents over a young adult who I personally believe lacks necessary experience and accountability.

8. Gratitude expressed by:

9. TopTop #5
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ChefJayTay: View Post
    ....The barlow development, which they have repeatedly failed to restrain, is killing (what is left at this point) of main st. They will never be successful rebuilding a downtown when the businesses in the Barlow have a built in marketing team and signs EVERYWHERE (the giant logos on Guyaki weren't enough, they had to add giant banners and roadside signs too?)..
    there needs to be a reason to move between the two areas. They're certainly close enough to each other. Right now there's a big gap between them, with the empty lot and the blank wall of the theater. Plus, the businesses that adjoin the square don't really open on the square. I don't know if the hotel will stand as a blockade or as a centerpoint that ties them together. If there feels like continuity from the west end of the Barlow through the park to main street it will improve the town a lot.

10. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

11. TopTop #6
    Glia

Having been marooned in the sh*t-hole of Lake County for the past 3.75 years, I can tell you what happens when the same OLD group of OLD people stay in office too long: it does not go well and becomes stagnant. Good ideas go unrecognized and good opportunities go down the drain. The electorate becomes jaded, discouraged and disengaged.

A healthy and genuine democracy needs turnover and new input, much like a healthy compost pile. Young people need to be supported in participating, not blown off because they are young.

IMO the young adult running seems more than capable of on-the-job training. The council member who has been there the longest should be rotated out in favor of fresher stock... and fresher ideas!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ChefJayTay: View Post
    ... This said, I still support the incumbents over a young adult who I personally believe lacks necessary experience and accountability.

12. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

13. TopTop #7
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Glia: View Post
    ... I can tell you what happens when the same OLD group of OLD people stay in office too long: it does not go well and becomes stagnant. ...

A healthy and genuine democracy needs turnover and new input, much like a healthy compost pile. Young people need to be supported in participating, not blown off because they are young....
    While I generally agree with you, and it is especially relevant to the current national leadership of the Democratic Party, it doesn't apply here in Sebastopol for two important reasons:

1) The current Sebastopol City Council, and in particular, the members who are up for re-election are not OLD. Sarah and Una are 65 (which doesn't sound old to me, as I near 62 ) and Patrick Slayter is a mere 52! Granted, Sarah has been on the council longer than anyone can remember (which has been a good thing, IMO) while Una is running for her first re-election. OTOH, Nancy Pelosi is 78 and Bernie is 77...

Age aside, each of the current incumbents running for re-election are really strong candidates that have served our city well and hold strong, grounded, progressive values and strong leadership skills! They have helped our city stay on the forefront of progressive civic leadership in the country!

2) Vaughn is only 22 with no prior political experience. While I applaud Vaughn for his chutzpah to run for council, and his strong civic dedication (as exemplified by being a volunteer firefighter) and initiative (as exemplified by being an independent business person) he's not ready to serve on the council. Craig Litwin was only 24 when elected to the council, but he was both older and brought more leadership experience to bear.

I'd happily support Vaughn's continued civic involvement, perhaps on a committee, or perhaps even the Planning Commission.

I hope he stays involved and accumulates experience and skills that will one day place him on the council. But for this year, I strongly support re-electing Sarah Glade Gurney, Una Glass, and Patrick Slayter.

14. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

15. TopTop #8

I'm sorry Robert but I wholeheartedly disagree with you and others who are of the opinion that our three incumbents have adequately served in the best interests of the majority of our community. The last thing, in my opinion, that these three have done, especially Sarah Gurney, is to move Sebastopol toward and into the modern era while increasing the quality of life for as many as is possible. What I see is that they are busy increasing the quality of life for the privileged old guard elites in this area. It appears they have chosen to push forward with plans to turn Sebastopol into a high end tourist town. Sebastopol is definitely in need of a strong economic base. However, if your goal is to maintain your town's history of family connection and community, generate a strong local movement and be a leader in sustainable living, tourism is not the answer. Thanks to our 3 incumbents we are well on our way to following in the footsteps of Healdsburg. Talk with some of those locals, they no longer live in their town, they can't afford it. Get some direct feedback about how the tourist industry actually played out for them. High end hotels and restaurants, wine tour buses and bikes, more shops selling non-essential trinkets and blessing stones, that's where we're headed. How does any of this address our affordable housing crisis, congested streets, no viable public transit, no parking and no decent employment opportunities other than minimum wage service industry jobs?

Efforts to fast track a tourist industry are the antithesis of implementing sound environmental policy, enhancing our local economy, or increasing the quality of life for our local residents.

There is nothing environmentally wise about tourism. It is a fossil-fuel based industry with a tendency toward excessive waste of resources. There is no economic enhancement from tourism that will trickle down to the working class locals. Property values will go through the roof and rents will continue to rise as we lose more long term housing to short term vacation rentals. Minimum wage job opportunities will be abundant. Unfortunately, few of those jobs will be held by locals, as local working class people can not afford to live in Sebastopol earning only minimum wage. Finally, quality of life for locals, anywhere is rarely, if ever, improved by becoming a full swing tourist stop.

Who is this paradigm most negatively impacting? Our kids who are now young adults struggling to stay in their home town and raise their families here, where they themselves were born and raised. That dream is moving farther out of sight for our upcoming generation of locals. I see our old guard city council pushing a bill of goods that is primarily focused on self-interest rather than our community's best interests.

And for clarity sake, old guard is not used as in 'too old to serve' . The phrase is in reference to the demographic that they predominantly represent and in some instances it also refers to their multiple terms as council members.

Who on our city council is a representative for the interests of our young adults and their new families? What I see is a council that has become top heavy representing a very specific age and economic demographic. They are not adequately representing and addressing the needs and desires of our entire, multifaceted community. Our old guard city council members, specifically the three incumbents coming up for re-election, appear to have an eye toward enabling unprecedented rising property values and developing a posh town for wealthy elites to retire.

I am in complete agreement with the perspective that it's time for some new, young blood on our council. Fresh ideas that will include the consideration of our now adult children with families of their own trying desperately to stay, to raise their kids, to build a future and develop a strong local community that will sustain for many years and future generations rather than selling off to the highest bidder.

Vaughn represents that demographic and I believe that we are long overdue for the inclusion of that representation. I don't personally know Vaughn but I've listened to him talk and have read his literature. He appears to be honest and kind with a high standard of ethics. He's intelligent, a family man, a sixth generation Sebastopolian and his stated goals and dreams for our town address local economy, affordable housing, roads & parking and environment. Having been born and raised here, as a 6th generation resident, he has a family history of 120 years, give or take. I know people with that kind of connection to this town, it's an invaluable perspective that can't be bought or earned by age and experience. My bet is that Vaughn is just as passionate to preserve our natural beauty, maintain our local community, and move forward into the modern era of economic and environmental sustainability as any of our current council members. Yes, he is young and new. Vaughn has openly acknowledged that and has publicly stated that he looks forward to the opportunity to be seated on our council and to work with and learn from our current council members.

What kind of a community are we if we are wound so tight and too afraid to make room for change? Remember he is just one of five seats sitting on our council. Re-electing all three of our incumbents serves only to keep us locked in to the same “old guard majority” for another 4 years. As I see it we have nothing to lose and potentially so much to gain by electing Vaughn to one of those seats.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Robert Jacob: View Post
    ...I am writing you today to urge that you cast your local votes for the incumbent candidates for Sebastopol City Council, Sarah Gurney, Una Glass, and Patrick Slayter. These three have been moving Sebastopol into the modern era of implementing environmental policies, enhancing our local economy, and increasing the quality of life for as many as is possible. They understand that these goals are interdependent, not mutually exclusive....

16. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

17. TopTop #9
    John Eder
    Former Seb City Council Member

I do not share Robert’s views. I will not be voting for any of the incumbents- a seat on the City Council is not a lifetime appointment. Time for a new face and fresh ideas. Time to bring forth tomorrow’s leaders today.

18. Gratitude expressed by:

19. TopTop #10
    MikeH

The Barlow seems an unfortunate development. I worked there a bit when It was under construction, foundations going in, grading being done, and drain pipes being installed. After it's done I go back to look at it, because I did not know what sort of stores were going in there. It gives me the creeps; i want to stay away. Just the names alone are enough to weird me out.

CROOKED GOAT BREWING, SEISMIC BREWING COMPANY, MACPHAIL TASTING LOUNGE, SPIRIT WORKS DISTILLERY, WOODFOUR BREWING, WM COFIELD CHEESEMAKERS https://thebarlow.net/food-and-drink/

Sounds very yuppie and touristy to me.

Vaughn is 6th generation local? Wow that's rare. I am only 3rd generation Sonoma County. But it was 1923 my grandparents came, with my 6 year old father in tow, so that was almost a century ago. We have about 40 years per generation. So I know what Sebastopol was like in the 1960's. We went to Sebastopol hardware often. And to "Don's" for lunch. Where was that?

20. Gratitude expressed by:

21. TopTop #11
    laho

Don's Restaurant was next to Don's Bar which were both on the south-west side of Main Street; on the first block the main 116/12 intersection (Bodega and Main to us oldtimers). Not sure what's there now; I think a new restaurant.

Vaughn's great-grandmother (Laurie Horn) just passed away a few days ago. She lived to a grand old age of 100. She helped her dad, William Carr, move houses around town using a team of horses. Things have really changed!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by MikeH: View Post
    ...So I know what Sebastopol was like in the 1960's. We went to Sebastopol hardware often. And to "Don's" for lunch. Where was that?

22. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

23. TopTop #12
    Glia

If I may clarify my use of the word "old" in this discussion: it was not a reference to chronological age, rather more in the sense of "stale" or "been on the shelf for a long time" or "same old, same old."

Experience and maturity are valuable personal assets and certainly something to carefully consider. That said, just because a person is over a certain chronological age or has gray hair does not mean he or she is an elder!

The 5th District went through a similar decision with the last supervisor race. It does seem to have turned out well. However, Lynda Hopkins has considerably more experience and about 15 years of age over Vaughn.

Maybe he is just too wet behind the ears to be on the city council. Just by putting his hat in the ring he has added some energy and engagement in what otherwise might be a rubber stamp election. That alone is commendable.

Along those lines, anybody who steps up to the plate for elected office has my gratitude. This is the foundation of a genuine democracy. All too often it is a thankless job. As Tip O'Neil famously said, "all politics is local."

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    While I generally agree with you, and it is especially relevant to the current national leadership of the Democratic Party, it doesn't apply here in Sebastopol for two important reasons: ...

24. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

25. TopTop #13
    scamperwillow

Re: Am disappointed in them of late

This project is dead. Don't let it stop you from voting for the current progressive incumbents. We need housing and they will continue to look elsewhere for opportunities.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Norbu: View Post
    Hi Robert,
    I have always supported the current city council with my vote and also political contributions. However I am disappointed and dismayed by their plans to sell a parking lot that is essential for keeping business vital in the downtown in order to provide some scant housing, but principally to raise money for a new city hall....
    Last edited by Barry; 10-22-2018 at 10:35 PM.

26. TopTop #14
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by scamperwillow: View Post
    Vaughn is an acolyte of Michael Carnacci who asked the council to pass a resolution in support of Trump! ...
    A little background on the explosive charge above: Michael's proposed resolution was to support "Peace Efforts by President Trump" during the runup to the North Korea summit in June 2018. The proposed resolution attached. It was discussed at the May 30, 2018 City Council meeting. Minutes are here. No action was taken.

My Comments: I don't have a problem with this resolution. Peace is a good thing no matter who pursues it. Some elected Democrats voiced support of the effort as well. I would say it is a misleading characterization to say that Michael Carnacci "asked the council to pass a resolution in support of Trump!" since it was just for one very specific effort.

27. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

28. TopTop #15
    Gpen

Well said. I despise the changes in Healdsburg and basically any town that has some character and individuality. Eventually, they all become tourist meccas for the wealthy, overpriced, pretentious and boring...

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Rustie: View Post
    ...Thanks to our 3 incumbents we are well on our way to following in the footsteps of Healdsburg. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 10-23-2018 at 08:33 PM.

29. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

30. TopTop #16
    John Eder
    Former Seb City Council Member

...VOTE for Sarah, Una and Patrick! Keep Sebastopol on the right track and not in the direction of Drumpf! (emphasis added)
    - unsubstantiated home grown fake news.

31. Gratitude expressed by:

32. TopTop #17
    scamperwillow

Hi folks, Ok I over reacted and Michael was the victim. I have apologized to him and deleted my post. Now I apologize to you. I am so so worried about what is happening in our country that it is coloring my reactions here I guess. I withdraw any criticism of Michael, but i still support Una, Sarah, and Patrick for re-election. I have known and trusted them for some time to take good care of our city.

Um, I'm sorry, but do you really think Trump is a warrior for peace? He is sowing anger and discord everywhere he turns. I do not think the City of Sebastopol should be sending any resolution whatsoever in support of this dangerous man. I'm glad the resolution died for lack of interest.

33. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

34. TopTop #18

Thank you, Barry, for the background and clarity on Marty's comment and what in fact Michael Carnacchi actually proposed to the city council last May. The difference between proposing a resolution in support of Trump, as Marty deceptively represented, and what Michael actually proposed, which was a resolution to support peace efforts by Trump, is huge. To say that Marty's comment was misleading is a gross understatement but I do appreciate your restraint. Personally, I would call her distortion of the facts out right slanderous. It appears to me that Marty is pulling a page directly from Trump's handbook.

This was a despicable ploy to discredit the opponent to your buddies running for council. Distort the facts, say anything and miss the point completely – well done Marty. Now I'm confident that the 3 amigo incumbents are not who I want sitting on our city council in the majority position. I think it's high time we break up the monopoly.

Yes Marty, Vaughn is young and inexperienced, he likely has not yet honed his skills at distortion and deception. On the other hand he appears to be sincere, honest and forthright. It's really not about his experience to run the city – he won't be doing that by himself. It's about what he stands for and the under-represented demographic that he represents. John Eder said it very well; “Time to bring forth tomorrow's leaders today”.

A little background on the explosive charge above: Michael's proposed resolution was to support "Peace Efforts by President Trump" during the runup to the North Korea summit in June 2018. ..

35. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

36. TopTop #19

Nice apology Marty, but unfortunately the damage has been done. It would be nice if everyone could just say and do whatever they wanted and later simply remove and erase it all without consequence. But that's not how it really works, though that too is another style of behavior that seems to be prevalent in our current political milieu.

I find it interesting that you publicly apologized to Michael but not to Vaughn. He too was your victim. Your disparaging characterization of him as Michael's acolyte was as offensive as your attempt to present them both as Trump supporters. When I read between the lines my subjective opinion is that your Fox News style swipe was really aimed at Vaughn. Michael perhaps was just collateral damage. Apologies are easy – what about accountability, that's the missing element these days. If we held ourselves to higher standards maybe we would need to apologize less.

I appreciate your acknowledgment that your worry and perhaps fear, though you did not use that word, are coloring your reactions. That alone is a red flag. When we react out of fear we are not thinking clearly and that is the very tool that has been used to divide us for centuries. Blacks, gays, Latinos, Jews, youth – fill in the blank.

Fear of the unknown can be very dangerous. It divides us and keeps us closed to new opportunities. It's what creates the slash & burn style of discourse that you demonstrated. I understand that you trust and feel safe with the people who look and act most like you. It's natural for all of us to want to be surrounded by 'our people' but it's a reaction that serves to hold progressive movement hostage.

If we continue to re-elect the same city council year after year because that particular majority serves our personal needs we become exclusive. By appearances Sebastopolians like to think of themselves as diverse and inclusive. I think it's time we start walking our talk. Let's not become a city run by fear of the unknown. I seriously doubt that if Vaughn wins a seat on our city council Sebastopol will go to hell in a hand basket nor will we find ourselves walking lockstep with Trump.

Hi folks, Ok I over reacted and Michael was the victim. I have apologized to him and deleted my post. Now I apologize to you. I am so so worried about what is happening in our country that it is coloring my reactions here I guess. I withdraw any criticism of Michael, but i still support Una, Sarah, and Patrick for re-election. I have known and trusted them for some time to take good care of our city.

37. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

38. TopTop #20
    jbox

Yes, "Scamperwillow" was a paid shill for Noreen Evans who lost to Lynda Hopkins. It required some effort for Marty to admit this. She may have another hidden agenda here.

I am so glad Hopkins beat Evans, the right call was made by the electorate..

39. TopTop #21
    rossmen

I think the council could move admin to the underutilized police station, and thus be closer to engineering and works. Then the current earthquake trap would be removed and a city lot next to the library could be used for??!

This project is dead. Don't let it stop you from voting for the current progressive incumbents. We need housing and they will continue to look elsewhere for opportunities.

40. TopTop #22
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Rustie: View Post
    Nice apology Marty, but unfortunately the damage has been done..
    I thought Marty's apology was sincere and well done.

Regarding Vaughn, I too believe his heart is in the right place, which counts for a lot. It's true that we that we are blessed with a strong council at the moment, and should Vaughn replace one of the current members up for re-election, the rest of the council can probably carry the weight, help him come up to speed, and keep the city from going off the rails.

But the council is not a training ground. It's a place for proven leadership. There are other ways to come up to speed on civic engagement and I encourage Vaughn to pursue those. He's not-ready-for-prime-time yet. I think back to our most recent young council member, Craig Litwin, and I think Craig had both more experience and more evident leadership abilities.

Plus, I think Sarah, Una and Patrick are particular strong council members considering their experience, both as council members and their professional experience, as well as their values and common vision of Sebastopol as a cutting edge progressive community.

41. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

42. TopTop #23
    ChefJayTay

Vaughn's candidacy is the perfect example of modern politics.
    How much have you people actually checked into this kid's story?

I'm still trying to figure out if vaughn's electronic service EVER EXISTED.

https://vaughnselectronicsrepair.com/ is a broken website.
    According to the Wayback Machine the address has never had a legitimate website.

There are no reviews for Vaughn's Electronic Repair on yahoo, google, or yelp.

43. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

44. TopTop #24

I really wasn't being sarcastic when I said “Nice apology Marty” so there's no argument from me as to whether or not it was sincere. The problem for me is not the apology it's the distortion of facts that were carelessly presented in the first place, slurring the reputation of both Vaughn and Michael. The apology is a nice gesture but it doesn't necessarily repair the damage. And in truth she never publicly apologized to Vaughn so how is that part “well done”? Does he not count?

I agree that the council is not a training ground. While I will admit the obvious, Vaughn does not have the experience, I would not assume without reason that the rest of the council would have to carry the weight and keep the city from going off the rails. You make that assertion as though it's a forgone conclusion. He might be a very quick study with an insightful perspective and prove to be a valuable asset right out of the gate. I'm not saying he is or he isn't, he will or he won't, I'm just posing possibilities. None of which we will know the results of unless we are willing to expand our options.

On the other hand the council is also not meant to be a lifetime appointment. Public service, working in an elected position is not intended to be a profession. A healthy community is one that has more opportunities for fresh ideas and perspectives with new leadership. This is difficult to accomplish without term limits. Unfortunately we don't have them. Sarah Guerney has served on our council for the past 14 years, Patrick Slayter for 8. Two or three terms seems like plenty of time to get settled into your position and get some things accomplished. In a small town like ours 4 terms begins to feel like a career politician. If Sarah is re-elected she will have served on our council for 18 years before she is up for re-election again. Then what – another 4 years, and another, and another... because hey, she has so much experience......

Honestly I don't think the points that we are debating are really the issue. He's too young, they're too old, experienced vs inexperienced etc. The issue as I perceive it is simple. You are pleased with what our 3 incumbents have accomplished and with the destination they appear to have in mind for our town. I am not. In truth, I personally would likely benefit from a tourist based economy in Sebastopol. However, it is not my desire to live in an overpriced town with a majority population consisting of wealthy retirees and vacationing tourists tromping back and forth to wineries, restaurants and hookah lounges. But that's just me and that's exactly the path that I see Sara, Una, and Patrick are leading us down.

Vaughn on the other hand talks about developing a strong economy and creating city revenues by supporting and establishing our locally owned businesses. Businesses that will provide the necessary goods and services that our residents currently need to drive to Santa Rosa to purchase. Notice how this concept puts tax dollars collected from Sebastopol residents that are currently going to Santa Rosa back into Sebastopol's coffers. To accomplish this we would not be relying on an influx of out-of-towners to buy a bunch of overpriced non-essential products while causing street congestion and burning massive amounts of fuel just to get here. Developing local businesses that serve the needs of the local residents addresses our economic issues, our environmental concerns and our goals and desires to build strong local communities. Vaughn's vision of a cutting edge progressive community is the one I would prefer to live in.

I thought Marty's apology was sincere and well done.

Regarding Vaughn, ... the rest of the council can probably carry the weight, help him come up to speed, and keep the city from going off the rails.

But the council is not a training ground. It's a place for proven leadership. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 10-25-2018 at 10:58 AM.

45. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

46. TopTop #25
    MikeH

Vaughn's Electronics Repair has a City of Sebatopol business license, current, paid up, active. It appears to have been originally taken out on 02/11/2016, and renewed most recently on 01/01/2018.

47. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

48. TopTop #26
    Glia

I too am glad Hopkins beat Evans . The electorate made the right call by a considerable margin!

Has anyone checked to see if Evans is still living in the 5th District, or has she found another adopted home district?
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by jbox: View Post
    ...I am so glad Hopkins beat Evans, the right call was made by the electorate..

49. TopTop #27
    Glia

Just mulling an idea here... a good place for young folks to get some hands-on experience with civics and public office is the local school board, specifically at the high school level. Their recent experience as a high school student would be valuable. Dealing with the realities of a myriad regulations, funding issues, etc., would help them decide if they are interested in moving up the public service ladder.

Getting elected to the local school board when he was 18 (possibly still a student when elected) is how Michael Moore, the rabble-rousing filmmaker, got his start. It seems to have worked out well for him!

IMO age 18 is too young for public office. The human brain typically finishes "childhood" development at age 21 to 22. The traditional age of majority had a basis in neurology. As Will Rogers famously quipped, "it is amazing how much smarter my father became after I turned 21."

... But the council is not a training ground. It's a place for proven leadership. There are other ways to come up to speed on civic engagement and I encourage Vaughn to pursue those. He's not-ready-for-prime-time yet. I think back to our most recent young council member, Craig Litwin, and I think Craig had both more experience and more evident leadership abilities.

50. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: