Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    MikeH

Who remembers when Warm Springs Dam was approved?

If you please, I'd like some clarity. I was around then but would like to know a few things. How was it financed? I know there are bonds for the construction, and we are paying on our property tax bills. Did we vote on this? I think we did but maybe I'm wrong on that? Also according to the Army Corps of Engineers the project was approved because it was necessary for flood control, and maintain "our" water supply. Were we forced to pay for it without a vote because of these alleged "public benefits?" I remember those who wanted to continue building lots of tract housing were major proponents of it.

https://www.spn.usace.army.mil/Missi...m-Springs-Dam/

DRY CREEK (WARM SPRINGS DAM) LAKE AND CHANNEL
    OPERATIONS AND MAINTENANCE

PROJECT LOCATION AND Description
    Lake Sonoma is located on Dry Creek, a tributary of the Russian River, in Sonoma County, California, approximately 75 miles north of San Francisco. The Warm Springs Dam project was authorized by the Flood Control Act of 1962 for the purposes of flood control, water supply, environmental stewardship, and recreation.It was completed in 1983.Congressional authorization in mid 1970’s added mitigation for ESA fish to the mission set for both federal dams on the Russian river.Lake Sonoma has a flood storage capacity of 381,000 acre-feet and a total surface area of 3,600 acres. Major facilities include a hatchery for endangered and protected fish, a visitor-center complex, tribal protected lands, park headquarters, sponsor-run electrical power-plant (hydropower), 97 developed campsites, 110 primitive boat-in campsites, a 43-mile trail system, Archery Range, Disc Golf Course, Dog Park, marina, two launch ramps, swimming beach, picnic areas, and a wilderness area. Of the park's 17,000 acres, 8,000 acres form a wildlife management area that is managed under a license with the California State Department of Fish and Game. This park receives more than 554,000 visitors a year and annually collects $164,000 in fees, which are returned to the treasury and generates $15.7 million in yearly recreational spending within 30 miles. Warm Springs Dam supports Sonoma counties’ $13 billion/ year wine industry.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

3. TopTop #2
    MikeH

Re: Who remembers when Warm Springs Dam was approved?

I just found out this was put to the voters in November 1979, so I suppose I answered my own question. The decision to go ahead with the project was made by the county and the Army Corps of Engineers before that, but in 1978 Proposition 13 was passed. That gave voters the right to approve or not approve new property tax assessments. A no vote would have stalled the project due to a lack of funding.

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #3
    rossmen

Re: Who remembers when Warm Springs Dam was approved?

The big picture is that now 650k people depend on the soco water agency for hydration from Sonoma to Novato north to rosa. lake mendo was tapped and pilsberry was/is an environmental target. Sure the core/fed threw in some bucks for flood, but the drivers were local water agencies and their customers pay.

As demand grows environmentally insane and cost prohibitive options for getting more water from lake sonoma to the agency pumps have been abandoned. This is why river flow is being cut.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by MikeH: View Post
    ... How was it financed? I know there are bonds for the construction, and we are paying on our property tax bills. Did we vote on this? I think we did but maybe I'm wrong on that? Also according to the Army Corps of Engineers the project was approved because it was necessary for flood control, and maintain "our" water supply. Were we forced to pay for it without a vote because of these alleged "public benefits?" I remember those who wanted to continue building lots of tract housing were major proponents of it.....