Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Shepherd

Support Dr. Christine Blasey Ford for speaking truth to power

This message was sent to Shepherd Bliss by Ai-jen Poo, NDWA through MoveOn's public petition website.

I can't stop thinking about Dr. Christine Blasey Ford, who courageously came forward to share her story of being sexually assaulted by Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh. As a survivor, I know how difficult it is to come forward. I believe her. That's why I decided to add my voice to this video.

Watch the video, and co-sign our letter: #DearProfessorFord, we believe you, and we honor your strength.

This nomination process cannot go forward without a full and fair FBI investigation into the case.

The #MeToo movement has given us the courage to demand that survivors be heard and supported. And no matter how powerful -- even those nominated to the highest court in the land -- those who are accused of abuse should be fully investigated.

It's hard to overstate the stakes with this nomination: it's a lifetime appointment that could affect everything we care about: Workers' Rights, Marriage Equality, DACA, Citizens United, Roe vs Wade -- many court cases that have a profound impact on our lives.

Please, watch this video, share it -- and support Dr. Blasey Ford.
    Sincerely, Ai-jen Poo, Director, National Domestic Workers Alliance

PS: This Monday, September 24th, at 1pm EST, we're taking part in a national walkout in support of Dr. Blasey Ford and all survivors. Join in by wearing black and posting a picture of yourself using the hashtag #believesurvivors. RSVP on Facebook.

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Shepherd

Re: Support Dr. Christine Blasey Ford for speaking truth to power

This is Senator Mazie Hirono from the great state of Hawaii. I'm one of four women on the Senate Judiciary Committee.

I'm writing to you today because I am angry. I am angry at the way Senate Republicans and Donald Trump's administration are treating Dr. Christine Blasey Ford, who last week bravely came forward to share her story about Trump's Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh.

I am angry that Trump and his cronies will do absolutely anything to take over the Court—even if it means putting an alleged sexual predator on the bench. I am angry that some of the very same senators who smeared and humiliated Anita Hill 27 years ago are trying to get away with it again.

And I am angry that Dr. Blasey Ford is being forced to endure this patently unfair process while facing ruthless intimidation and even threats to her life.

What is happening to Dr. Blasey Ford is disgusting and unacceptable, and I would expect that when the Senate hearings start again, my male colleagues will finally shut up, step up, and do the right thing—for once—and listen to and respect survivors.
    Let's be clear: Trump and his Republican allies have no interest in finding the truth.

They have no interest in hearing from Dr. Blasey Ford, or from any witness that would corroborate her story. They have no interest in conducting a fair investigation. Anything that gets in the way of fast-tracking Kavanaugh's ascent to the Court is unacceptable for them.

That's because they know that when Kavanaugh is on the Court, he will defend Trump from any civil or criminal case brought against him. And making sure that Trump is protected before Democrats take back Congress is more important to them than anything else.

That's why they have been making it so hard for Dr. Blasey Ford to participate in additional hearings, even though she has already gone above and beyond what any person should be forced to do.

My question is: What are they trying to hide? What are they so afraid of? If Kavanaugh is innocent, why isn't he calling for a full investigation to prove it unequivocally?

I worry that the answer is that he knows he is guilty. And if that's the case, we absolutely must do everything we can to stop him.

That is why any additional hearings must be fair and thorough, and why it is crucial that we keep raising our voices to demand it.

MoveOn members have been raising their voices since the very start of this nomination process, and I am so grateful to have you with me. MoveOn has driven tens of thousands of calls to Congress—I certainly got some!—hosted events outside the Capitol Building, created videos, run ads, and more. Trust me, this work is critical. This is exactly the kind of pressure that helped us stop the repeated efforts by Republicans last year to repeal the Affordable Care Act, and it is what can help us stop Kavanaugh now. But MoveOn needs your help to keep up the fight.

The efforts of MoveOn members and countless fellow Americans have turned this "sure thing" nomination into a battle. Kavanaugh is the least popular nominee in decades, and we have been emboldened by the constituent pressure that's been constant for the past two and a half months—and all of this is thanks to people-powered activism from folks like all of you.

I know that MoveOn is going to keep up this pressure throughout this week's kangaroo court and every day after—fighting to ensure that women and survivors are heard, that the powerful are held to account, and that we all take steps to strengthen our democracy and protect our rights, together.

Before I end this message, I want to talk about what happens if Republicans do go forward with their plan to railroad Dr. Blasey Ford and to fast-track Kavanaugh's confirmation.

If Republicans ram this through, it's our job to band together and say, "Enough!" Our job to make this an electoral issue. To make sure this costs Republicans extra seats this fall (and I say extra seats, because I believe that the way things are going already, if enough of us step up, we can take back the House and maybe even the Senate).

I'll tell you: If Republicans force this, they will have to face women (and their allies) back in their home districts. And at the voting booths this November, these constituents will make it clear to them that this was the last straw—the issue that cost Republicans the Senate.

Thanks for all you do. Mahalo.–Senator Mazie Hirono

Last edited by Barry; 09-24-2018 at 03:20 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #3
    Shepherd

Re: Support Dr. Christine Blasey Ford for speaking truth to power

The following is just in from a friend in Texas, where I used to live. Let's keep up the pressure. The Kavanaugh issue may lead to the downfall of Trump. Please also listen to Amy Goodman, whose "Democracy Now" program airs on KPFA, 94.1 FM, at 6 a.m. and 9 a.m.

On my way out of the Senate last week, I ran into Ted Cruz and told him the story of my sexual assault. His response? Ted Cruz dismissed me and my story and then he walked away.

But others in Washington are listening. I spent the past week on Capitol Hill with thousands of women, men, and survivors. We’re furious, passionate, and determined to tell our truths -- and we're going to do everything we can to stop Brett Kavanaugh from a lifetime appointment to the most powerful court in the country.
    But to do that, we need to make sure those in power in Washington keep hearing our voices and our stories.

We only have a few more days to turn up the heat and stop Kavanaugh’s nomination. Will you sign up for our rapid response team that’s taking action to stop Kavanaugh this week? Sign up here for breaking alerts on how you can take action when it’s needed most.

This past week has shown just how powerful we are when we come together as women and survivors. Women of color are leading the way in this movement -- women like Daniela Contreras, an NDWA organizer who experienced sexual assault when working as a nanny at age 16, who spoke out alongside senators last week on Capitol Hill. Women like Ana Maria Archila and Maria Gallagher, who told Sen. Jeff Flake stories of their sexual assaults, prompting this week’s FBI investigation and delay in Kavanaugh’s confirmation vote.

We *can* stop Kavanaugh's nomination -- and it'll take all of us doing what we can to help.

Let me know if you can join me and many others in taking action this week, in-person and online. Sign up here.

In solidarity, Jess

PS: Here's the video of me speaking to Ted Cruz on Friday -- check it out and let’s keep standing up for women and survivors this week!

6. Gratitude expressed by 3 members: