Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    HolisticKids

Smart Meter Removal

I called PGE to have my smart meter removed. The woman said they would come out and "turn it off". She said they don't replace the smart meter with an analog meter, they just come and turn off the thing that makes it transmit.

Does anyone have knowledge about whether this is sufficient to stop the radiation and make it safe? I'm wondering if I should demand an analog meter, or if that is even an option?

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks,
    Jane
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    HolisticKids

Re: Smart Meter Removal

I found an answer here:

https://www.smartmetereducationnetwo...art-meters.php

Does anyone know how to get the whole thing replaced with an analog meter?

Thanks,
    Jane

3. Gratitude expressed by:

4. TopTop #3
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by HolisticKids: View Post
    I called PGE to have my smart meter removed. The woman said they would come out and "turn it off". She said they don't replace the smart meter with an analog meter, they just come and turn off the thing that makes it transmit.

Does anyone have knowledge about whether this is sufficient to stop the radiation and make it safe? ...
    yes, when they turn it off it won't radiate. There's still electricity flowing through the coils in the analog meter, so I can't see why it's any more or less of a hazard than a 'smart meter' that's not broadcasting. Or the electricity flowing through the house wiring for that matter.
    Last edited by Barry; 09-21-2018 at 11:03 AM.

5. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

6. TopTop #4
    HolisticKids

Actually, I found that turning off the digital meters is not enough. I found this info, and since I take the precautionary approach, I am getting the whole thing replaced with an analog. I found out that in CA the CPUC opt-out program guarantees an analog if the customer demands it.

https://www.smartmetereducationnetwo...art-meters.php

Tomorrow, I'm going to start with another phone call to PG&Es smart meter line and if that doesn't work, I'm going to begin demanding it in writing (I also have a note from my MD) and might even have to file a complaint with CPUC.

This is an important film:

https://takebackyourpower.net

I opted out way back like 8 years or so - for my home in Santa Rosa. Since then I got married and moved into my husband's home in Forestville and never knew there was a smart meter on it till recently. Neither did he. We both want it removed and we will do whatever it takes to get it done.

Jane
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by podfish: View Post
    yes, when they turn it off it won't radiate. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 09-21-2018 at 11:06 AM.

7. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

8. TopTop #5
    MikeH

"Photons have no mass, but they have energy E = hf = hc/λ"

All alternating current, flowing, will give off electro-magnetic radiation. A wire may carry current, but in the area around the wire, if you had a meter, you could detect the radiation.

Here's the thing though: the danger is proportional to or depends on the energy per photon.

And this is a Quantum physics phenomenon.

"
    The photon is a type of elementary particle, the quantum of the electromagnetic field including electromagnetic radiation such as light, and the force carrier for the electromagnetic force"

So it is a "particle" but without mass, but it does have energy.

And the energy per photon depends on the frequency. E = hf, where f is frequency, and h is just a constant, Planck's constant.

So high frequency radiation has high energy photons. That's why X-rays can penetrate your body, and cause cancer, they are high frequency and have high energy photons. Gamma rays which radioactive material can give off is even higher frequency, higher energy photons, pass through you and cause cancer by damaging DNA.

Low frequency radiation has low energy photons, and very unlikely to pass into tissue and damage DNA.

9. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

10. TopTop #6
    Karl Frederick

Turning off the transmitter in the Smart Meter will stop the RF radiation of the transmitter, but will not stop the power line transients produced by a switched mode power supply (SMPS) in the meter. If the so-called "dirty electricity" produced by the SMPS in the Smart Meter is a health risk, then most of the little power bricks/adapters used to convert 110 volts AC power available at the wall sockets to the lower (and generally DC) voltages used by many small electronics devices are a similar concern, since they, too, tend to use SMPS circuitry. And they will create rapid transients on the wiring throughout your home.

I'm not familiar enough with the latest research to comment on how much exposure to various electromagnetic fields it takes to induce a biological change in our bodies (or those of our children), but if you'd prefer to minimize the exposure, you could plug the power adapters into on/off switchable power strips to make it easier to power them off.
    Last edited by Barry; 09-21-2018 at 11:08 AM.

11. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

12. TopTop #7
    ChefJayTay

This is too educated of a response. You're dealing with people afraid of the term radiation.
    The concept that their decorative rock collection is likely more dangerous than their meter would floor them.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by MikeH: View Post
    "Photons have no mass, but they have energy E = hf = hc/λ" [...]

13. TopTop #8
    HolisticKids

Oh thanks so much for this condescending insult. I'm sure it adds intelligence to this thread.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ChefJayTay: View Post
    This is too educated of a response. You're dealing with people afraid of the term radiation.
    The concept that their decorative rock collection is likely more dangerous than their meter would floor them.

14. TopTop #9
    HolisticKids

Here's an update:

PG&E is replacing the smart meter with an analog on Monday. Really all it took was I needed to ask the right thing when I called - wish I knew the first time I called. The guy we talked to was very accommodating and got it all set up.

15. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

16. TopTop #10
    kane

What was "the Right Thing" to ask, for future visitors.

Here's an update:

PG&E is replacing the smart meter with an analog on Monday. Really all it took was I needed to ask the right thing when I called - wish I knew the first time I called. The guy we talked to was very accommodating and got it all set up.

17. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

18. TopTop #11
    HolisticKids

Tell them you want the entire smart meter for both gas and electric replaced with an analog meter. They first told me they don't remove the meter but they would come out and turn the smart meter transmitter off and leave the digital meter. But after researching it more, I called them back and told them I want an analog meter. If they keep saying they don't do that, keep insisting because yes, they do and they are required to replace with analog if the customer asks for it, according to CPUC rules.

I guess it depends on who you get on the phone. When I called back the second time, I talked to a friendly person who said, yes we'll replace it with analog and he took care of it right away. And like 3 days later a nice guy came out and replaced the meters with analog. No problem at all!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by kane: View Post
    What was "the Right Thing" to ask, for future visitors.

19. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

20. TopTop #12
    wildinspired
    Supporting Member

Yeah that was my experience...they came within a few days and simply pulled the smart meter out and replaced with analog. The units just snap in and out. Took about 5 minutes!

Tell them you want the entire smart meter for both gas and electric replaced with an analog meter. They first told me they don't remove the meter but they would come out and turn the smart meter transmitter off and leave the digital meter. But after researching it more, I called them back and told them I want an analog meter. If they keep saying they don't do that, keep insisting because yes, they do and they are required to replace with analog if the customer asks for it, according to CPUC rules. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 10-06-2018 at 12:13 PM.

21. Gratitude expressed by 4 members: