Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Shepherd

Michael Moore's new film "Fahrenheit 11/9!"

Donald J. Trump did not just fall from the sky. His rise to the presidency was not an aberration and should not have come as a shock. It was the logical end result of a long, downward spiral in America that culminated in one of our most loathsome citizens conquering our most powerful political office. One of our most deceptive minds commanding the bully pulpit. One of our most fraudulent hucksters armed with the powers of the presidency to protect him.
    How did this happen?! What did we do to deserve this?!

Well, where shall I begin ...

For the past several months, I've been working on my next film, "Fahrenheit 11/9," and I'm finally ready to share it with the world. It is already being talked about as one of the most anticipated films of the fall.
    And when you chip in to MoveOn's critical work to end Republican control of Congress this fall, you'll be entered to win a trip to the premiere of my new film in Los Angeles! Just click below:
    Click here to chip in $3, or whatever you can, and enter to win!

With the film, I set out to answer the two questions that have been haunting most Americans since that fateful morning on 11/9/2016, when, at 2:29 a.m., the Associated Press officially called the election for Donald J. Trump: How the f**ck did we get here and, most importantly, how the f**ck do we get out of it?

This is not a film telling you what a jerk Trump is, or what an buffoon Trump is, or what a liar Trump is. You already know that. Everybodyalready knows that, except for your conservative brother-in-law, whose mind you'll never be able to change. I wouldn't waste your time or my time making the kind of film that would convince him. And with all due respect to your conservative brother-in-law, we don't need him. We're the majority in this country, he's the minority; he knows it, and that's why he's so mad!

Instead, my team and I were on a mission to tell a much more important story. It's a story about hope ... and what comes after it. It's a story about deception and betrayal. It's a story about what happens to people when they've hit rock bottom. It's a story about who we are as a people and what it means to be an American in the era of Trump. Ultimately, it's a story about where we might be heading as a society.

My team and I have moved heaven and earth to make sure we delivered this film to you in time to have an impact in this year’s midterm elections. I'm excited to announce to you that "Fahrenheit 11/9" will open in more movie theaters than any of my previous films; it will be in over 1,500 theaters across America! And I know that MoveOn members like you are moving heaven and earth to win this election. That's why, as a special gift for MoveOn members, I'm inviting you to enter to win a trip to the premiere of my new movie "Fahrenheit 11/9!"

We open nationwide on September 21, 45 days before the most important election in American history (and with voter registration still open nationwide!).

I've made a film that was meant to be seen on a big screen, in a dark theater, filled with a hundred strangers. My hope is that you will experience the magic of cinema the way that it was meant to be experienced and that you will be moved and entertained by it. But that you also will be inspired to act.

I'm writing you today because I need your help. Over the next few weeks, I'll be sharing updates and rallying folks to join MoveOn’s efforts to get MILLIONS of Americans to the polls this November.

Every bit of anger, despair, or frustration that you've felt over the past few years must be channeled into action this fall! And I'm excited to be partnering with my friends at MoveOn to help make sure that happens. MoveOn is working around the clock to help organize and turn out volunteers to get the vote out in November.

We're the majority. But we need to rise up. That's the only way out of this.
    This is it. It's up to us. Let's rise up.
    Thanks for all you do.
    –Michael Moore
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Shepherd

Re: Michael Moore's new film "Fahrenheit 11/9!"

Michael Moore's new film "Fahrenheit 11/9!" is scheduled to open at the Rialto Theatre in Sebastopol this Fri. A friend and I are scheduled to go sometime this weekend. Is there a time that you might like to join us in the lobby and perhaps process the film after. Details follow from the Rialto website:

Fahrenheit 11/9

Starts Friday, September 21!
    To Purchase Tickets Click HERE
    Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 11/9" is a provocative and comedic look at the times in which we live. It will explore the two most important questions of the Trump Era: How the f**k did we get here, and how the f**k do we get out?

• OFFICIAL SITE • TRAILER • FACEBOOK
    ONLINE REVIEWS
    • Indiewire

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    Donald J. Trump did not just fall from the sky. His rise to the presidency was not an aberration and should not have come as a shock. It was the logical end result of a long, downward spiral in America that culminated in one of our most loathsome citizens conquering our most powerful political office. One of our most deceptive minds commanding the bully pulpit. One of our most fraudulent hucksters armed with the powers of the presidency to protect him.
    How did this happen?! What did we do to deserve this?!

Well, where shall I begin ...

For the past several months, I've been working on my next film, "Fahrenheit 11/9," and I'm finally ready to share it with the world. It is already being talked about as one of the most anticipated films of the fall.
    And when you chip in to MoveOn's critical work to end Republican control of Congress this fall, you'll be entered to win a trip to the premiere of my new film in Los Angeles! Just click below:
    Click here to chip in $3, or whatever you can, and enter to win!

With the film, I set out to answer the two questions that have been haunting most Americans since that fateful morning on 11/9/2016, when, at 2:29 a.m., the Associated Press officially called the election for Donald J. Trump: How the f**ck did we get here and, most importantly, how the f**ck do we get out of it?

This is not a film telling you what a jerk Trump is, or what an buffoon Trump is, or what a liar Trump is. You already know that. Everybodyalready knows that, except for your conservative brother-in-law, whose mind you'll never be able to change. I wouldn't waste your time or my time making the kind of film that would convince him. And with all due respect to your conservative brother-in-law, we don't need him. We're the majority in this country, he's the minority; he knows it, and that's why he's so mad!

Instead, my team and I were on a mission to tell a much more important story. It's a story about hope ... and what comes after it. It's a story about deception and betrayal. It's a story about what happens to people when they've hit rock bottom. It's a story about who we are as a people and what it means to be an American in the era of Trump. Ultimately, it's a story about where we might be heading as a society.

My team and I have moved heaven and earth to make sure we delivered this film to you in time to have an impact in this year’s midterm elections. I'm excited to announce to you that "Fahrenheit 11/9" will open in more movie theaters than any of my previous films; it will be in over 1,500 theaters across America! And I know that MoveOn members like you are moving heaven and earth to win this election. That's why, as a special gift for MoveOn members, I'm inviting you to enter to win a trip to the premiere of my new movie "Fahrenheit 11/9!"

We open nationwide on September 21, 45 days before the most important election in American history (and with voter registration still open nationwide!).

I've made a film that was meant to be seen on a big screen, in a dark theater, filled with a hundred strangers. My hope is that you will experience the magic of cinema the way that it was meant to be experienced and that you will be moved and entertained by it. But that you also will be inspired to act.

I'm writing you today because I need your help. Over the next few weeks, I'll be sharing updates and rallying folks to join MoveOn’s efforts to get MILLIONS of Americans to the polls this November.

Every bit of anger, despair, or frustration that you've felt over the past few years must be channeled into action this fall! And I'm excited to be partnering with my friends at MoveOn to help make sure that happens. MoveOn is working around the clock to help organize and turn out volunteers to get the vote out in November.

We're the majority. But we need to rise up. That's the only way out of this.
    This is it. It's up to us. Let's rise up.
    Thanks for all you do.
    –Michael Moore

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #3
    Shepherd

Re: Michael Moore's film "Fahrenheit 11/9!" discussed on radio today

Following is Amy Goodman's interview with Michael Moore this morning on Democracy Now, which is broadcast on KPFA, 94.1 FM at 9 a.m.

A Senate hearing with Supreme Court justice nominee Brett Kavanaugh and Dr. Christine Blasey Ford may not move forward, as Blasey Ford asks for the FBI to investigate her claims that Kavanaugh attempted to rape her as a teenager before she testifies. Senate Judiciary Committee Chair Chuck Grassley had invited Blasey Ford and Kavanaugh to both testify on Monday, but Blasey Ford’s attorneys are declining the offer. Her lawyers wrote in a letter to Grassley, “While Dr. Ford’s life was being turned upside down, you and your staff scheduled a public hearing for her to testify at the same table as Judge Kavanaugh in front of two dozen U.S. Senators on national television to relive this traumatic and harrowing incident.” The letter revealed that Blasey Ford has received multiple death threats and has been forced to move out of her home. On Tuesday night, Senator Grassley said there’s “no reason for any further delay” in the hearing, even if Christine Blasey Ford does not testify.

We speak with Oscar-winning filmmaker Michael Moore about Kavanaugh and Christine Blasey Ford. His new movie, “Fahrenheit 11/9,” is out in theaters this week.

Transcript

This is a rush transcript. Copy may not be in its final form.
    AMY GOODMAN: Dr. Christine Blasey Ford, who has accused Supreme Court justice nominee Brett Kavanaugh of attempting to rape her when she was 15, has asked for the the FBI to investigate her claims before she testifies to the Senate. Senate Judiciary Committee Chair Chuck Grassley had invited Blasey Ford and Kavanaugh to both testify on Monday. But in a letter to Grassley, Blasey Ford’s attorneys wrote, quote, “While Dr. Ford’s life was being turned upside down, you and your staff scheduled a public hearing for her to testify at the same table as Judge Kavanaugh in front of two dozen U.S. Senators on national television to relive this traumatic and harrowing incident.” The letter went on to reveal Christine Blasey Ford has received multiple death threats in the past few days and has been forced to move out of her home. On Tuesday night, one of her attorneys, Lisa Banks, appeared on CNN.

LISA BANKS: Any talk of a hearing on Monday, frankly, is premature, because she just came forward with these allegations 48 hours ago. And since that time, she has been dealing with hate mail, harassment, death threats. So she has been spending her time trying to figure out how to put her life back together, how to protect herself and her family. And there hasn’t been an investigation. And these are serious allegations.

Continues here

Last edited by Barry; 09-19-2018 at 08:53 PM.

6. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

7. TopTop #4
    Robinjo

Thank you SO much for posting this, I hadn't heard of it. It sounds profoundly thought-provoking and .... useful. I will attempt to go Friday night, but am leaving 9/22 for a week. If you all get together 9/28 or after, I'm very up for discussions.

Michael Moore's new film "Fahrenheit 11/9!" is scheduled to open at the Rialto Theatre in Sebastopol this Fri. A friend and I are scheduled to go sometime this weekend. Is there a time that you might like to join us in the lobby and perhaps process the film after. Details follow from the Rialto website:

Fahrenheit 11/9

Starts Friday, September 21!
    To Purchase Tickets Click HERE
    Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 11/9" is a provocative and comedic look at the times in which we live. It will explore the two most important questions of the Trump Era: How the f**k did we get here, and how the f**k do we get out?

• OFFICIAL SITE • TRAILER • FACEBOOK
    ONLINE REVIEWS
    • Indiewire

8. TopTop #5
    BEE KIND

Can't wait to see this! All of his movies are great! Did y'all see his last one, "Where to Invade Next"? It was eye-opening. If you didn't see it, watch it online or get the DVD.

9. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

10. TopTop #6
    Shepherd

Today's PD has the following article on Michael Moore's new film, from the Washington Post.

Michael Moore’s latest documentary is an I-told-you-so about the 2016 election

MICHAEL O’SULLIVAN, WASHINGTON POST | September 21, 2018, 1:21PM

Movie Review, Fahrenheit 11/9

Stars:Michael Moore, Donald Trump, Barack Obama, David Hogg, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
    Director:Michael Moore
    Rating:R for language and some disturbing material/images
    Length:125 minutes
    “Fahrenheit 11/9,” the latest documentary from agent provocateur Michael Moore, attempts nothing short of a magic act: turning despair into hope.

That’s a tall order, in a film that starts out by posing a seemingly impossible question. After presenting, in its first few minutes, a brief recap of election night 2016, we watch as the evening of Nov. 8 slowly fades into the morning of Nov. 9 (the date referenced in the film’s title, which is also a play on Moore’s 2004 film, “Fahrenheit 9/11”). As ecstasy turns to horror for the Democratic voters who hoped to elect the first female president - and instead got a former reality TV star - Moore asks, “How the f—- did this happen?”

You were expecting maybe “fair and balanced”?

To be sure, there’s a whole cottage industry devoted to answering Moore’s question, with constant fresh takes on the forces that swept Donald Trump to power. (According to a new book, something called “racialized economics” contributed to the “diploma divide” - the gap between the way that less- and better-educated white people voted.)

In Moore’s film, which the director narrates with a mix of outrage and humor, there’s plenty of blame to go around: Vladimir Putin gets name-checked, as does James B. Comey - and Gwen Stefani. The filmmaker argues, not entirely tongue-in-cheek, that the announcement of Trump’s candidacy may have been a stunt to convince NBC brass that he deserved a raise for “The Apprentice,” after he learned that singer Stefani, a coach on NBC’s “The Voice,” made more money than he did.

Trump, Moore argues, was never serious about running.

But although Moore cracks wise, he’s dead serious about his central thesis, which presents Flint, Mich., as a microcosm of the country, using the city’s disillusionment with politics as usual - a direct result of the water crisis there - as an explanation for why Trump won. The filmmaker, who was born in Flint and who had long argued that Trump should not be written off, has made what feels, in some ways, like a dispiriting I-told-you-so.

That’s apparently by design.

Moore goads us into experiencing the same emotions that citizens in Flint must have felt when President Barack Obama visited their blighted city in 2016 - and made a show of sipping the local water, in a PR stunt that some viewed as a callous act of betrayal by a leader once seen as someone who might send in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to eliminate the problem of lead in the water.

Yet it’s no more of a stunt than a scene of Moore dousing the Michigan governor’s mansion with a fire hose filled with what he says is Flint water. “Fahrenheit 11/9” stalls a bit during these sequences, and many viewers may start to think: Wait, I thought this movie was about the election, not water.

Be patient. It’s both.

If patience is what the movie demands, it’s not what Moore ultimately wants. Gradually, like an oil tanker changing direction, “Fahrenheit 11/9” painstakingly pivots from a movie that seems to be working overtime to depress us to a movie that means to inspire us. By the second half, the film is presenting such political upstarts as New York’s congressional candidate Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, who unseated a 10-term incumbent in this summer’s primary, and David Hogg, a survivor of the Parkland school shooting, as inspirations for other grass-roots activists who are impatient for change. “The America I want to save,” he says, “is the one we’ve never had.”

Those are hopeful words. But hope may be a commodity that’s in short supply by the time that “Fahrenheit 11/9” has finished painting its unsettling portrait of an America in crisis.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by BEE KIND: View Post
    Can't wait to see this! All of his movies are great! Did y'all see his last one, "Where to Invade Next"? It was eye-opening. If you didn't see it, watch it online or get the DVD.

11. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

12. TopTop #7
    Shepherd

Some of us plan to meet in the lobby of the Rialto Theatre at 6:30 this Sun. eve for the outstanding new film by Michael Moore. Please join us there, or after the film to discuss it. Since it is likely to sell out, making a reservation would be helpful. It is scheduled for 1800 theaters in the U.S. alone, as well as elsewhere in the world. It could help oust the current pretend-president.

13. TopTop #8
    Shepherd

Some of us met right before and after Michael Moore’s new film on Sunday at Sebastopol’s Rialto Theatre to discuss it. We were very impressed by it. “Farenheit 11/9” covers more than just the deadly Trump. It goes into the killing water crisis in Flint, Michigan, the Parkland School killings and other related issues. It is scheduled to run for another two or even three weeks. Please consider seeing it.

The film helps document how deeply the substantial problems in the USA are, and how difficult it will be to remedy them. The footage compares Trump to Hitler, whose playbook he has at his bed-site, were particularly strong to me. Having lived in Chile when the fascists took over, it occurs to me that this is what may be happening in the USA today.

Getting more people to vote is important, but I do not feel that is enough. It is time to take to the streets and protest, as we did when I was a young officer in the U.S. Army, when we were finally able to stop the American wars on the people of Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia. The USA eventually lost those wars, partly because many soldiers refused to fight, and thus saved their souls.

Organizing here in Sonoma County to preserve the basic American values in our Constitution and Bill of Rights seems important to me, even if the Empire eventually goes down. All that lives dies, including empires.

Some of us plan to meet in the lobby of the Rialto Theatre at 6:30 this Sun. eve for the outstanding new film by Michael Moore. Please join us there, or after the film to discuss it. Since it is likely to sell out, making a reservation would be helpful. It is scheduled for 1800 theaters in the U.S. alone, as well as elsewhere in the world. It could help oust the current pretend-president.

14. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

15. TopTop #9
    Shepherd

From Will Shonbrun in Sonoma:

Saw Moore's film yesterday at the Sebastiani and strongly, highly and any other adverb you can think of recommend it. It's a powerful, poignant, infuriating, depressing and occasionally but not often funny summary of the last two years that looks at and answers the question, "What the fuck happened?" Hillary was a shoe-in, a foregone conclusion, everyone knew she'd win, become the first woman president and was sure it spelled doom for the Republican Party. We know how that played out. So, WTF happened?

Moore shows us in detail and gives you the history of how and why it came to be. Even if you're a news junky like me, Moore connects the dots, from the deliberate poisoning of Flint's water to the Parkland School massacre of children and their resulting activism to the Democratic Party's ever-compromising treachery and the burgeoning power of the Me-Too Movement. He gives us historical background and precedent to understand how the absurd phenomenon of Trump happened, he sugarcoats nothing and he doesn't end the film on a happy, optimistic, bullshit note of hope. He gives you the truth as it happened (and is happening) with a modicum of editorializing and you walk out of the theater somewhat devastated but neither defeated or despondent.

Moore is a unique filmmaker, a unique individual and a national treasure. See this movie. It's a masterpiece of reporting. If I could I'd run it in every high school in the country and give the kids free popcorn.
    Will

P.S. Moore was one of the only, if not the only pundit of note, who predicted that Trump could win the election to the dismissal of all the "experts" and the polls.

Begin forwarded message:
    Spread The Word! “FAHRENHEIT 11/9” Is Now In Theaters All Across The U.S. & Canada!
    Friends,
    My new film, "Fahrenheit 11/9", opened in theaters all over the country yesterday -- in more than DOUBLE the number of theaters for any movie I've ever made! Theater managers across North America report applause and ovations at the end of every screening. Also, heard throughout the movie — big rowdy laughter, shouts of rage, whoops and hoots and hollers. “A rage against the screen!” one person reported, as many audience members wanted to reach into the movie and bastard-slap the Narcissist-in-Chief (non-violence please).

I personally went to two theaters last night in LA, and while it is illegal to yell fire in a crowded theater, both of these sold out audiences were ON FIRE. I knew the movie we made would ignite people unlike anything I had ever seen. A despairing nation in need of a lightning bolt of truth and action -- a WAY OUT of this insanity -- you now have that available to you in the form of a film called “Fahrenheit 11/9.” I promise you, this movie is going to show you things you’ve never seen, it will gobsmack you with some searing truths, and it will offer a portal out of this disgusting matrix in which we are all trapped.

Last night, all across the U.S. and Canada, those attending “Fahrenheit 11/9” were asked to rate the movie, and audiences gave the movie an "A!"

And the critics? The best reviews of my life! Seriously, at some point during this past week, I thought someone was punking me. You HAVE to take a moment to read a couple of these ridiculous raves ‘cause I don’t think this will ever happen again (we just spent 6 days at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes until some Brit at a Murdoch paper weighed in. Hahaha. Nevertheless, we have been officially certified FRESH! Cool!)

Check these out:
    Rolling Stone says “you’ll cry laughing,” and calls it a “wake-up call ... that rare beast at the multiplex these days: a movie that matters.

Variety calls it “fearless and profound.” The reviewer adds:New York Magazine proclaims “Fahrenheit 11/9” as “one the the most urgent films ever made. You need to see this film!

Salon says:Slate says “it leaves you with your blood pumping hard and fast, ready to get up off the floor and throw the next punch.

Other critics have called it “soul-stirring,” “blistering,” “ferocious,” “part exposé, part doomsday warning, and part call to arms,” “brutally honest...a powerfully blunt instrument” “incisively funny” and “a blistering broadside!

Amazing. Thank you to those who write about the movies.
    I so deeply want all of you, my fellow Americans, to come today and tomorrow and be among the first to see my new movie on its opening weekend. I want you to share a fierce, wonderful two hours with thousands of other like-minded Americans who are awake and ready to fight for their friends, neighbors, co-workers, fellow students. They are in 1,719 theaters right now! Go join them. You’ll feel exhilarated as you leave the theater with them. You, and those 200 strangers who just sat in the dark with you watching “Fahrenheit 11/9” are the hope amongst the hopeless. We are all in this together. This film is my contribution. We are going to end this madness.

Much love, Michael Moore, [email protected]

P.S. Please Spread The Word! Let all of your friends know you’re at the movie theater! Take photos/video and share them on Twitter, Facebook and Instagramwith the hashtag #Fahrenheit119 and I will re-post them on my social media pages!
    Last edited by Barry; 09-25-2018 at 09:39 AM.

16. Gratitude expressed by:

17. TopTop #10
    O.W.

Re: Michael Moore's film "Fahrenheit 11/9!" discussed on radio today

Today, the GOP, old white guys rule party today let the Violence Against Women Act expire. I kid you not. A reminder from Daily Kos that 6 of those 11 GOP old farts on this "judiciary" panel also voted against the Violence Against Women Act originally.

Now they have hired a woman to represent them. Talk about a group of the lowest cowards. Share this widely!
    Daily Kos:
    Nothing about the Republicans’ attitude toward sexual abuse of women should be a surprise. It, too, is a pattern. When the Senate voted on the Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act of 2013 (VAWA), only twenty-two members were opposed. All were Republicans.

Among those twenty-two Republicans were the six current senior members of the Senate Judiciary Committee, including Chairman Chuck Grassley.

Any questions?
    Last edited by Barry; 09-26-2018 at 09:12 AM.

18. Gratitude expressed by 3 members: