Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Shandi

If you died right now, what was the last good deed you did for a stranger?

I'm going to actually share the very last thing, and the one before it. I hope to read responses from some of the compassionate people in our community. It may inspire a gifting community, like https://buynothingproject.org/

I hired a man to come to my house and wash/wax my car, since I’m no longer able to do it, and drive-thru washes don’t get it clean. I wanted it waxed in preparation for fall weather.

I learned that he has a high interest in promoting bamboo. I was impressed by his website: www.bambooisgrass.com He’s traveled all over Asia, talking with potential investors for this up and coming lucrative and “good for the planet” market. Check out the site, and learn about how bamboo can save the earth. I'd love to see bamboo and cannabis team up!

Besides that, I found him to be a very interesting guy, about 71, bio-scientist, Berkeley graduate, liberal and a genuinely nice guy. I asked if he smoked pot, and he said “sure”. I figured a “Berkeley liberal” had to.

So, I gave him a nugget that someone had given me, and I’d been holding on to for the right person. He had a big smile when I handed it to him.

When I asked how much I owed him, he said “Oh, I don’t really want to charge you.” He did an outstanding job on my 2005 Prius which was given to me, with damaged bumpers, driven by a man in his 80’s who was getting dementia.

I said “No, you earned this, and I’m thrilled with the result.” He didn’t just wash and wax the car, he detailed it, cleaning all the tree debris that had fallen into cracks of the hood. I gave him $60, and made a new friend.
    Does this count for a good deed? I will also be promoting his bamboo cause, which is beyond giving him money.

The previous good deed I did for a WaccoBB stranger was that I was curious enough to go beyond the title of her post in the sale/free/wanted section, which was "My Books". How many other people did that? Probably not many. I'm weird that way; the unknown always beckons me.

Anyway, I went to her Amazon page, and see that she's written quite a number of books, with Kentucky in the title, of which I have no interest, so I was drawn to the title I resonated with, which was "The Wound That Never Heals- The Reality of Trauma, written by Jo Spencer. It seems that many people I've met in my life have been traumatized by their family of origin, and/or substitute family such as foster parents. I ordered the book, and when I finished reading it, I knew I had to share the value that I found in it.

After sharing my Amazon review on various social sites, I received several thank you's, and Jo said it was the first time her "infant self, felt heard". What an acknowledgment! What a priceless gift I gave to her.

I've always felt that being "heard" can make a profound difference in our lives. Twenty-five years ago, I met a young mentally ill man who always wore headphones with music blasting in his ears, to shut out the unwanted noise from the world.

He sat down at my table where I was selling some health equipment, and started talking. I listened, while looking into his eyes. He told me, among other things that he was Bi-Polar, and 22. Then he took off his headphones, and said "You're REALLY listening!!" After that, we continued to hang out, and he stopped wearing his headphones all the time.

Who have you REALLY listened to lately ?

What was the last good deed you did for a stranger?
    Last edited by Shandi; 09-05-2018 at 11:09 AM. Reason: correct website reference
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Shepherd

Re: If you died right now, what was the last good deed you did for a stranger?

This is a response to your last questions below. A recent listening for me, two weeks ago, at a shelter, was to adopt my dog Daisey, who is now sweetly rested in our bed. Bamboo is also good, which I have here in my small farm. I drive a 2012 Prius, which is currently getting over 45 dmg. I turn 74 years old this year.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    Who have you REALLY listened to lately ?

What was the last good deed you did for a stranger?

4. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

5. TopTop #3
    OrthodoxEleni

Our Church, Saint Seraphim of Sarov, in Santa Rosa started putting together "Blessing Bags", and my husband and I have continued to do the same. You can get many quality items at the Dollar Tree to put in the bags (we use the Gallon size). We put in food items, as well as hygiene items, and a $5.00 bill. Everyone we give one to is so incredibly grateful, and we will continue doing this. It is a real Blessing!!

6. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

7. TopTop #4

This question made me smile...thank you!

I usually do my good deeds without telling others, but since this made me smile, I hope I'll bring some smiles to others by sharing the following:

I try to not spend time online writing /getting involved in threads. (But am thankful for my dear old computer!)
    I'm on line waaay too much , and want to be outside more, concentrate on my arts/ creating, and need to concentrate on getting my outrageous rent increase paid.

That being said, I was just finishing writing a long reply to a woman who I don't know.
    She's facing many challenges.
    I've been writing her for days/nights, giving her helpful info, offering her rides, and encouraging her.

I've also been writing compassionate stuff and real life stories re: homeless people in Santa Rosa, in response to hateful intolerant posts.
    Including, encouraging folks to watch Michael Moore's "Where to Invade Next", for many solutions related to homelessness, including drug addiction.

And, I posted article from Press Dem yesterday re: Pg&E getting us ratepayers to pay for fire damage (legislators just passed on Friday). This has gotten many replies, and I'm encouraging folks to join together and take action, and suggesting various actions to take.

I had just finished answering questions and encouraging the woman facing challenges, but I was feeling frustrated with myself for being on line for so long .

It's after 2am now, and I should be asleep!

But when I was checking Wacco for less expensive rental, possible work, and
    saw the question,
    I instantly smiled!
    It makes me really happy to help others!
    I'm rather a hermit, but when out in the world, I make it my mission to uplift others, and try to get them to smile!

I've experienced death of many of those close to me, numerous times throughout my life, and
    I think about death a lot.
    I try to live my life in such a way, as to be ready to die at any time ,ie., be at peace with myself.

But I was frustrated with myself for being on line so much.

This question reminded me, that I really was doing what is most important to me--spreading Love and Kindness, trying to make this world a better place, which is why I believe I am here on Earth.

Among many things,
    I'm a singer/songwriter/teacher.

Here is a gift
    from my HeartSoul to your HeartSouls,
    of lyrics from one of my songs: (I've done it with several of my bands before my son died)

Bury Me

Bury me with my wings spread
    Bury me with all my hidden sighs
    Bury me with my heart exposed
    And my eyes, open wide.

You don't have to look if you don't want to
    But be sure to ask yourself why
    Because whether it's your turn
    Or whether it's mine
    Someday it's gonna be
    Your turn to die...

With death at my shoulder,
    and life at my feet
    Eternity lasts a long time
    Might as well make it sweet!

So whether it's your turn
    Or whether it's mine--
    Life Death Rebirth
    Let's make our Love Light Shine!

Sweet Eternity....Sweet Eternity...Sweet Eternity!

by dusty wroten

Smile!
    Shining my Love Light on y'all,
    Dusty
    aka gaiasophia on wacco

8. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

9. TopTop #5

Sounds like your Happy Birthday is getting close, Shepherd! When is it?

Singing Happy Birthday to You, in Advance...!

Kindly,
    Dusty

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    This is a response to your last questions below. A recent listening for me, two weeks ago, at a shelter, was to adopt my dog Daisey, who is now sweetly rested in our bed. Bamboo is also good, which I have here in my small farm. I drive a 2012 Prius, which is currently getting over 45 dmg. I turn 74 years old this year.

10. TopTop #6

Hey Shandi!

Thanks for promoting, www.BuyNothing.com-- it did nothing but contribute towards my un-buyable happiness!
    Still smiling,
    dusty

Shandi
    "...I'm going to actually share the very last thing, and the one before it. I hope to read responses from some of the compassionate people in our community. It may inspire a gifting community, like www.BuyNothing.com..."

11. Gratitude expressed by:

12. TopTop #7
    Alex90

I was approached by a lost traveler. I spoke to him for some minutes and got to know that the traveler was lost. he followed someone into our town in search of work and that someone left him in the town. then I offered him water, food, and some money to make his journey back home.

13. Gratitude expressed by:

14. TopTop #8
    BethLinley

I try to do something nice for someone every day AND not get caught.

15. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

16. TopTop #9
    Fortunecookie

Quote Posted in reply to the post by BethLinley: View Post
    You just got caught!

17. TopTop #10
    tezor

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Fortunecookie: View Post

You just got caught!
    Ah but you know not what they did, do you?

18. Gratitude expressed by:

19. TopTop #11
    rossmen

Thank you for this post. My life now business wise is renting homes to people, that I own. I've always detested the term landlord because I believe royalty needs to either abdicate or have heads chopped. Yet in the last few years the decisions I make, business to me, seem beyond lordship, more godlike.

As a landgod, I am burdened with making potentially life and death decisions for other people. Not complaining, I have always worked hard with hands, my godship is more due to luck and lots of kid responsibility. I try to be fair, provide affordable rentals without government rigarmorol and subsidy, and have been caught and paid for my good deeds. May your good deeds be recognized by all!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by BethLinley: View Post

20. Gratitude expressed by 3 members: